Another 7.1 vs 5.1.2 thread :) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another 7.1 vs 5.1.2 thread :)

Hey everybody! "Long time listener, first time caller", as they say. Looking for some opinions on configuration and layout for some ceiling-mount speakers. I'd like to take my current 3.1 setup to a 7.1 or a 5.1.2 (Atmos) setup, and I'm having a hard time deciding which path to take. Trouble is, I only need to decide where the surround channels are going for now, since I don't have a 7.1 or Atmos-capable receiver yet, and probably won't for a little bit. However, I'm concerned enough about those future plans that I want to make sure I get the surround channel placment right now, since I'll be cutting at least two holes in the ceiling and these speakers won't be moving...

First, a few details (since I know you'll ask):
  • The ceilings are 11 ft tall.
  • The floors are all tile, save for a rug we have in the middle of the room.
  • Ceiling mount is as good as I'll get in this space – I know it's not optimal, but I'm working with what I've got. It's an open floorplan "family room"; with our kitchen and an eating area behind the couch, there's just nowhere to put any additional listener-level speakers. Yes, WAF is important, but so is my OCD – I'm not looking for weird places to mount speakers – it has to look good to me too
  • I'm on a budget and have already sourced my components – they're Klipsch KHC-6 with aimable tweeters (two pair; four total). Nothing amazing, sure, but I've been pleased with the rest of my setup (pair of KSF 10.5, KSF C5, and K100-SW), and I was able to pick these up for less than $80 per pair.
  • I know that the Atmos spec specifically calls out that they don't recommend having surround and height channels both at ceiling level, and I understand why – I'd still like to know if anybody has done it and/or thinks that'd still be a better configuration than 7.1.
  • I've read several threads on this topic, but everybody's space and configuration are a little different, and I haven't found a post or thread that was similar enough to help me land on a decision.

I've attached a floorplan of the space, complete with furniture, color-coded speaker locations, and blueprints to show the space itself. I've mapped out each speaker location according (loosely) to the Dolby spec (the angles from the listening position are within spec; Dolby doesn't really seem to define distance from listener for surround channels). The only thing that's missing are the ceiling joists, so I may have to marginally tweak some locations. Given the facts above, here's where my head's at:
  • For 5.1.2 Atmos, it seems like having as much separation as possible between the surrounds and the height channels would be ideal, which leads me to using locations blue and purple.
  • For 7.1, the same logic as above for channel separation leads me to using locations green and yellow.
  • For now, in a 5.1 configuration, it seems like purple would be ideal, since it nets me the most "lateral" position for those channels, which seems helpful since they'll be so high up for a channel that's supposed to be closer to ear-level.

I'm open to any and all opinions and feedback, as long as it's along the lines of which combos/pairings of ceiling speaker locations you'd choose and why

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post / semi-defensiveness!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-03-17 22.37.56.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	2033321  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Today, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Im also really interested in this with your 5.1.2 configuration, i have to go down the same path as you with having both surround and atmos speakers in the ceiling. I know its not ideal but its all i have to work with also, will be interesting to see the hifi gurus opinions and advise on this. Saves me starting a new thread now.
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I would do the orange and yellow with no atmos
as you mentioned, you know why
height and sides cannot be differentiated when they emanate from the same plane (maybe with dtsx when it grows up)

I like my surrounds slightly behind me. so if i reflexively turn and glace at the sound I do not see the speaker
and with side to rear blending with the yellow, the rear sound stage is larger

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
5.1.2 , 7.1 , atmos , ceiling , Klipsch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page