Klipsch Reference Premiere Towers or Bipole as Surround? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2017, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Klipsch Reference Premiere Towers or Bipole as Surround?

Hi guys,

Soon I will replace my four Klipsch XF-48 powered speakers with most certainly Klipsch RP-280F as mains. My plan is to replace al my current speakers with four RP-280F.

But, people around me are telling me that the dipole speakers of this line such as the RP-250S are even better as surrounds. Is that correct? I hope someone can give me advise.

The dimensions of my room are 9,5 meters (length) and 5.1 meters (width). I listen to music 50% of the time. The other half are movies. My music source are at least cd quality (Flac) and hi res audio (such as DSD). For video I use the bluray format. My receiver is a Marantz 6010 from 2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
Hi guys,

Soon I will replace my four Klipsch XF-48 powered speakers with most certainly Klipsch RP-280F as mains. My plan is to replace al my current speakers with four RP-280F.

But, people around me are telling me that the dipole speakers of this line such as the RP-250S are even better as surrounds. Is that correct? I hope someone can give me advise.

The dimensions of my room are 9,5 meters (length) and 5.1 meters (width). I listen to music 50% of the time. The other half are movies. My music source are at least cd quality (Flac) and hi res audio (such as DSD). For video I use the bluray format. My receiver is a Marantz 6010 from 2015.
I like my surrounds at ear height when standing so, for me, the choice would be easy, especially as I do not use the surrounds to listen to music.

The only reason I could see to get towers for rears if you were listening to the now obsolete Super Audio CD format.

The money saved by not buying the towers for rears would be better spent on a better center or sub IMHO.

Geoff A. J., California
Old 03-18-2017, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I like my surrounds at ear height when standing so, for me, the choice would be easy, especially as I do not use the surrounds to listen to music.

The only reason I could see to get towers for rears if you were listening to the now obsolete Super Audio CD format.

The money saved by not buying the towers for rears would be better spent on a better center or sub IMHO.

Thank you for your response. I already own a Klipsch R-115 sub and a RP-450C center speaker. And yes I listen to SACD music.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your response. I already own a Klipsch R-115 sub and a RP-450C center speaker. And yes I listen to SACD music.
Ah, the towers then.

But not sure you really need the 280s as the smaller 260 and 250 play almost as low, share the same tweeter, are easier to place and cheaper to boot.

If you had no sub (and that's a good one) the 280s would make more sense IMHO.

Let us know what you end up with and how it sounds.

Geoff A. J., California
Old 03-18-2017, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am indeed not sure which model I should choose. The 280's are interesting because they are top of the line and they will fit easily in my room.

Are the mid tones on the 280 not more defined than the other models? Also my plan is to purchase the Atmos Klipsch modules as a final piece. Do those fit on the 260's?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I am indeed not sure which model I should choose. The 280's are interesting because they are top of the line and they will fit easily in my room.

Are the mid tones on the 280 not more defined than the other models? Also my plan is to purchase the Atmos Klipsch modules as a final piece. Do those fit on the 260's?
Yes, those Atmos modules will fit on even the RP250F as they have a smaller footprint than any of the RP tower speakers.

Geoff A. J., California
Old 03-20-2017, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional info. I'm still in doubt whether to choose for the 280's or 260's.
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Today I've purchased two RP-280's which will arrive tomorrow. The surrounds will also be the RP-280. Those will be delivered next week! Exciting!
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Today I've purchased two RP-280's which will arrive tomorrow. The surrounds will also be the RP-280. Those will be delivered next week! Exciting!
Excellent, looking forward to your impressions.

Geoff A. J., California
Old Today, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:

The RP-280FA speakers have the integrated Atmos modules that are actually much better than the add-ons. @imagic reviewed them favourably. If you get 4 of those, you would be setup for a 5.1.4 Atmos theatre...
Old Today, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
The RP-280FA speakers have the integrated Atmos modules that are actually much better than the add-ons. @imagic reviewed them favourably. If you get 4 of those, you would be setup for a 5.1.4 Atmos theatre...

I know, but that would be a tad too expensive. One unit of the FA model is €800 while I got my RP-280's for the same price a pair. I also read good reviews of the Atmos modules, so I don't worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement