Do I buy a pair RTi10 for $300 CAD or pass? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Do I buy a pair RTi10 for $300 CAD or pass?

My parents are willing to sell me a pair of Polk RTi10 and aside from some favorable reviews on Crutchfield, it's difficult to find on Google whether or not they're worth the buy. They seem to be quite the old speakers but if I would be unwise to buy them I'll have them list them locally online, it seems as though most sets are selling for $500+ in Canadian dollars as well. I wouldn't want to exploit the situation by buying then reselling them.

I'm currently using an old Energy Take Classic system I bought about 8 years ago that has served me well but I feel as though it's time for an upgrade on at least the fronts. If it isn't too dumb, I plan to continue to use the Take Classic's centre channel and rear speakers as well as its subwoofer. If necessary I will upgrade these as time progresses.

I'm also currently using an Onkyo TX-SR313 as my AV receiver. I plan to switch to a 4K HDR tv in the near future from my 1080p plasma so I may need a receiver anyway but hopefully the TX-SR313 enough to power the Polks for now?
For whatever it's worth, $300 CAD is currently about $225 USD.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 609
The Polks would definitely be a huge upgrade from the take classic, or any HTIB for that matter. If you can get them for $200 or less, that would be awesome. The RTI-10's will over power your center so I'd consider getting a CSI-A4/A6 to go with them.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The Polks would definitely be a huge upgrade from the take classic, or any HTIB for that matter. If you can get them for $200 or less, that would be awesome. The RTI-10's will over power your center so I'd consider getting a CSI-A4/A6 to go with them.
Unfortunately I won't be able to get them at 200 but 225 USD should hopefully still be worth while.

Thanks for the suggestion on the centre channel, I'll see if I can pick up a used one somewhere. Any suggestions from yourself or anyone else on where to look within Canada or for a powerful enough receiver to make best use of them?

Thanks for your help

post #4 of 5 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godinster View Post
Unfortunately I won't be able to get them at 200 but 225 USD should hopefully still be worth while.

Thanks for the suggestion on the centre channel, I'll see if I can pick up a used one somewhere. Any suggestions from yourself or anyone else on where to look within Canada or for a powerful enough receiver to make best use of them?

Thanks for your help
You can save a few bucks by getting a refurbished "B" stock receiver from Gibbys.
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....nts/receivers/
They have a wide range of options depending on budget and what features you want/need.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godinster View Post
More than worthwhile...the RTi10 and 12 were the best sounding of all the RTi speakers that I heard, probably because the extra mid-bass that all those extra woofers inside the big cabinet produced helped cover up the sometimes shrill/bright tweeter which on the smaller RTi4 could sound a bit unpleasant when cranked up.

The only downside to these RTi towers is that they do need a fair amount of juice to sound their best, and Onkyo AVRs often have very inflated power numbers. So you might want to consider upgrading to a better power source...although even with just your current Onkyo, I would still expect them to be a big improvement over any HTIB speakers.

So I'd say, go for it!

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers