Need advice for active speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By enricoclaudio
  • 2 Post By Ellebob

post #1 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Need advice for active speakers

I am looking to buy active speakers, and want to spend nlt mlre than $2500...it will be mainly for music in my study room.

I had my eye on the ls50 wireless, and also csme across the jbl 705p. I would neee optical input, and usb input from pc would be a plus.

I am also willing to spend up to 2500 for a sub...i knlw it may be extreme for this setup, but i want to eventually use the sub for mainly music/ some HT down the line (with different speakers. I've been looking at svs and the h118t as well.

My study room is 20 by 18.

I'm welcoming all advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeard View Post
I am looking to buy active speakers, and want to spend nlt mlre than $2500...it will be mainly for music in my study room.

I had my eye on the ls50 wireless, and also csme across the jbl 705p. I would neee optical input, and usb input from pc would be a plus.

I am also willing to spend up to 2500 for a sub...i knlw it may be extreme for this setup, but i want to eventually use the sub for mainly music/ some HT down the line (with different speakers. I've been looking at svs and the h118t as well.

The Focal Easya speakers would be my first choice. They are $1999 at Crutchfield.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Do you need the speakers to have digital inputs or are you willing to use a pre-amp. The Parasound Zdac and Emotiva Stealth DC-1 come to mind and then use any active speakers you prefer. If you are looking for speakers with digital inputs your options are more limited. The Easy A and LS50 are both good choices. The 705 is a great choice but won't do USB and needs a converter to go from optical to AES/EBU digital input.

post #4 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I am looking to buy active speakers, ....
Take a look at some of the tri-amplified models. I have seven of the KRK 10-3 in my 24x19 room. At $500 they are a great price/performance deal.
(KRK 10-3 has rca inputs you can hook directly to your phone or computer with a miniplug-rca cable)

So that would be a nice Left and Right pair for under $1000. Alternatively, take a look at the M-audio tri-amped unit with it's coaxial mid-tweet. I haven't heard it myself but it looks like it might be an upgrade over the KRK 10-3 in terms of clarity in the middle and high ranges. They are cheaper too, $350.

Those systems will do well from 100Hz and up. They are spec'd lower but sound much cleaner if you don't ask them to work below 100Hz.

Shop for a preamp that has the inputs you want and preferably XLR outputs. My buddy loves his Oppo universal player and uses it as a preamp and sub crossover.

Skip past the small stuff and go straight to 24" subwoofer(s). I have four Dayton Ultimax 18" but am now waiting on three SI 24" subs. Get the big cones and skimp on amplifiers if you need to trade off for budget reasons. I am running with only 400 watts per Ultimax 18. The big subs are 5dB more sensitive than the Ultimax so buying them is like getting a 1000w amp upgrade for free since the big guys get more SPL per watt.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked: 2456
Quote:

I'm curious: with such an ample $5K budget, why wouldn't you get passive speakers with an integrated amp instead? The passive speakers would be less expensive and much easier to integrate into any future surround HT system.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
I would go with a pair of Dynaudio LYD 48 ($2300 pair)

http://www.dynaudio.com/professional-audio/lyd/lyd-48

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LYD48BKL

I have Dynaudio BM5 mkIII Studio Monitors + Apogee Quartet Audio Interface + Rythmik Audio L22 subwoofer in my desktop setup and I love it.
droidlike likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #7 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I'm curious: with such an ample $5K budget, why wouldn't you get passive speakers with an integrated amp instead? The passive speakers would be less expensive and much easier to integrate into any future surround HT system.
An active speaker has many acoustic advantages over a passive, i.e. lower distortion, faster transients, more precise crossover, speaker protection, etc. Passive is definitely easier to wire as you only have to get one wire to the speaker where active you need one wire and power to each speaker. At the low end, cost is definitely in favor of a receiver or integrated amp with passive speakers. When you start going higher up the price scale passive often puts a greater amount of its cost into finish of the speaker. Most higher end active speakers still have basic finishes because they are made for studios and not homes. If you get into higher end receivers, pre-amps and amps the savings for passive is lost. The OP has more than ample enough budget to go the active route if it works for his situation.
pibroch and Zorba922 like this.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input...i will look into all the items listed. Since this will be for my work/study room (which i will always have), i really do not wish for clutter (preamp and amps). I want a nice clean setup, but may compromise. I feel that i can do more by staying woth active speakers, this way i dont have to invest in high ens amps, so active seems cheaper. I don't know, i may be wrong.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you plan to expand later than regular active speakers with a pre-amp would be a better way to go. To go to an HT system in the future you would just change the stereo pre-amp to a HT pre-amp and add more speakers. If you don't plan on upgrading this does not matter.

If you want to use a sub the LS50 is a better choice than the Easy A because the LS50 has a sub connection which the Easy A doesn't. The only other unit like these with connections you want built in would be the Yamaha NS-500 and you could add a sub to it. There aren't many other choices beside these three that I can think of at the moment.
post #10 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
If you plan to expand later than regular active speakers with a pre-amp would be a better way to go. To go to an HT system in the future you would just change the stereo pre-amp to a HT pre-amp and add more speakers. If you don't plan on upgrading this does not matter.

If you want to use a sub the LS50 is a better choice than the Easy A because the LS50 has a sub connection which the Easy A doesn't. The only other unit like these with connections you want built in would be the Yamaha NS-500 and you could add a sub to it. There aren't many other choices beside these three that I can think of at the moment.
Yes, i was initislly leaning towards the ls50, but wanted to see if there was something else that fit me just as well.

What about a sub for music/occasional movie? At first i was looking at the poeted svs 13 ultra, but the jtr captivator 118ht supposedly gives more for less money. Any other recommendations?
post #11 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The sub depends on a number of factors. One is how low and how loud do you need to go? Another is how many seating locations? How big is the room and how far do you sit from the speakers?

For output, bigger is typically better. A 12" will not compete with an 18" for output especially in the lower frequencies. So if you want to go low and loud you need big. Most music does not go very low so you may not need to for the biggest, baddest sub.

If there are multiple seating locations than you should have more than one sub to get a consistent bass response in all seats. For your study it will probably be only one main seat so one sub will work fine.

Since getting the bass right is one of the most important parts of getting good sound I would look for a sub with an EQ. The SVS mentioned has a 2 band parametric EQ and if you have some measuring tools you could set it up nicely. You can add an EQ device to any sub. If you don't have measurement tools or the willingness to get one and learn it than get a sub that has a measurement system that comes with the sub.

If you are using the LS50 you don't need a huge sub that goes very loud to keep up with those speakers. Many tend to focus just on output. A GOOD 10-12" subs would keep up with those speakers no problem. Go bigger only if you are trying to get a lot of output below 20hz. There are a lot of subs that would fit your needs.
post #12 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
The main reason I mentioned the Apogee Quartet Audio Interface is because you can run a full 5.1 setup out of it. It also has dual digital inputs, Asynchronous USB DAC (ESS Sabre32 DAC), 6 balanced inputs, headphone out, midi, etc. I have it because I do some recording and mastering at home but it's definitely the best Audio Interface I ever had for listening to music in my office.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/quartet

So my recommendation would be get the the active monitors you like the best and get an audio interface like the Apogee Quartet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quartet-rp-1000.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2048905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 9.56.14 PM.png
Views:	51
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	2048913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4525.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	2048921  

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #13 of 25 Old 03-30-2017, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The "Klipsch The Sixes 2-Way Powered Bookshelf Loudspeakers" are interesting. They have inputs that might do what you need.

Also, Klipsch RP-440WF HD Wireless Floorstanding Speaker
http://assets.klipsch.com/product-sp...Spec-Sheet.pdf
post #14 of 25 Old 04-17-2017, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I would go with a pair of Dynaudio LYD 48 ($2300 pair)

http://www.dynaudio.com/professional-audio/lyd/lyd-48

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LYD48BKL

I have Dynaudio BM5 mkIII Studio Monitors + Apogee Quartet Audio Interface + Rythmik Audio L22 subwoofer in my desktop setup and I love it.
agree, 3-way active speakers is the best that you can get for sure

Lyd-48 is the new kid in town
in the 3-way active speakers club
and the usual alternatives / suspects
seem to be

Neumann KH310a
which has analog input
but there is also a version with digital input too
(you can get a front grill too for both analog and digita, yeah !)

Unity Audio Boulder Mark II HiFi and Babe sub
no front grill here unfortunally

beware that
lyd-48 has a bass reflex woofer but mid and tweeter seem to be sealed

while

the other 2, kh310 and UA Boulder+Babe
are sealed
which does mean a thing or two
for clinical critical music listening or studio mix editing

here you can find all active speakers reviews
including the Neumann KH310 and Unity Audio Boulder mk2 / Super Rock
but not yet the Lyd-48 which has been just released in these days of spring 2017

for a sub I'd go istantly with svs sb13u
since it's a sealed sub
so it's great for music (fast)
and fan for movie too
(it can go so loud that it may even crack / tear down the room/house and can go down low to hell almost )

and this on sb13u is just in case you believe to be in need of the bigger
svs sb16u

you can get detailed subs info on data-bass
too

hth

Technology has the shelf life of a banana

Last edited by droidlike; 04-17-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #15 of 25 Old 04-17-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
An active speaker has many acoustic advantages over a passive, i.e. lower distortion, faster transients, more precise crossover, speaker protection, etc...
I have never heard that before. I'm not sure I can sign up for all that. Is there some discussion of this somewhere?

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #16 of 25 Old 04-17-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...If you are using the LS50 you don't need a huge sub that goes very loud to keep up with those speakers. Many tend to focus just on output. A GOOD 10-12" subs would keep up with those speakers no problem. Go bigger only if you are trying to get a lot of output below 20hz. There are a lot of subs that would fit your needs.
Yes, a good 10 inch works fine for music.

post #17 of 25 Old 04-17-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
I have never heard that before. I'm not sure I can sign up for all that. Is there some discussion of this somewhere?
There has been tons of discussion on it. In a nutshell if everything is equal meaning the same drivers and cabinet then an active system will outperform the passive system. Bill a respected speaker designer states that here in post #90 and I believe he mostly designs passive speakers for his business but I am not sure.
Are active speakers better than passive speakers in sound fidelity and performance?

A good summary look at post #6
http://www.hifivision.com/active-spe...crossover.html

An article by Adam speaker company which offers both passive and active speakers.
https://www.adam-audio.com/content/u...e-speakers.pdf

Some other articles
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0403/

http://avihifi.blogspot.com/2010/03/...akers-thd.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/activ..._intro1_e.html

http://sound.whsites.net/biamp-vs-passive.htm
post #18 of 25 Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanx for the links. I see the advantages of active crossovers. I'm pretty sure the future will see only active crossovers designed into loudspeakers, however I'm still not convinced on the general statement applied to active loudspeakers. I guess the main problem is that the speaker designer doesn't know how I'm going to use the loudspeaker. Quietly playing chamber music or filling an auditorium? I'd rather pick the power myself. Maybe some sweet tubes for my quiet late night system or a giant arc welder for my rock the house down system. In the end, I know more about what I need than they do.

P.S. I use an active crossover on my reference system so active crossovers are not only used in powered loudspeakers.

post #19 of 25 Old 04-17-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

When I say active speakers it doesn't mean that the amplifiers and crossover has to be in the speaker. In fact in many of the larger studio monitors they are not in the speaker. If you are using an electronic crossover and a separate amplifier for each driver then being able to pick the amp has some merit. In fact many active designs the amp was chosen to match that driver's characteristics. But, once you add a passive crossover and increase distortion, worsen transient response and have less control of the drivers the tradeoff isn't worth it.
post #20 of 25 Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Quoted: 3077 Post(s)
Liked: 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
I guess the main problem is that the speaker designer doesn't know how I'm going to use the loudspeaker. Quietly playing chamber music or filling an auditorium? I'd rather pick the power myself. Maybe some sweet tubes for my quiet late night system or a giant arc welder for my rock the house down system. In the end, I know more about what I need than they do
That is why they make volume knobs . My speakers have dedicated amp channels with 1200 watts to each driver, but I can easily listen at whisper volumes or rock concert loud thanks to the volume knob.
post #21 of 25 Old 04-18-2017, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
When I say active speakers it doesn't mean that the amplifiers and crossover has to be in the speaker. In fact in many of the larger studio monitors they are not in the speaker. If you are using an electronic crossover and a separate amplifier for each driver then being able to pick the amp has some merit. In fact many active designs the amp was chosen to match that driver's characteristics. But, once you add a passive crossover and increase distortion, worsen transient response and have less control of the drivers the tradeoff isn't worth it.
Exactly. I have home-built 3-way active speakers with Dynaudio components. Each speaker has 6 wire going to it. I use Outlaw amps. I got really tired of trying to make home-built passive crossovers sound good and bailed on them. Best move I ever made. But, to be honest, speaker manufacturers have more resources available to get the passive crossovers to work better. Even so, active is better. No insertion loss, better phase response, frequency accuracy, slope selection, tune-ability.
post #22 of 25 Old 04-18-2017, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds like a very nice set up!
post #23 of 25 Old 04-18-2017, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

Consider the Salk PowerPlay Monitors. They're available in a wide variety of veneer finishes.

At $2200 per pair, I think I would like them better than the KEF LS50 wireless. I've heard other passive Salk 2-ways with similar drivers and the standard LS50, but not the active versions of either.
post #24 of 25 Old 04-18-2017, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 83
If you shop around and find the right price, you can get the JBL LSR708P for just a bit more than your budget for the main speakers. They do not have optical inputs, but you can get an optical to AES converter.

There is a whole thread on the LSR 7 series on AVS forums.

A lot of pro audio and video engineers are using them. The P series is not shipping yet (soon), but the non-powered speakers have been getting rave reviews.

Do more research on these speakers.

You can get a used JL Audio F113 for $2500.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 04-18-2017 at 03:28 PM.
post #25 of 25 Old 04-18-2017, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 115
This is way below your budget, but I think you'd be very surprised at Klipsch The Sixes. They have all the connections you require, and the sound is absolutely fantastic, especially for the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page