any good wireless kits for subwoofers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Unread 04-10-2017, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
any good wireless kits for subwoofers?

so, I almost have my system set up, when I realize that my contractors buried my sub wire somewhere inside my wall. So, best buy wants 170 to run a new wire, and I'm dying to hear my new sub. Question is, are there any good wireless sub kits out now? I see rocketfish has one for 60, but some people complain that it cuts out at low signal. Are there any good, dependable ones for under 100? And what are the best options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread 04-10-2017, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Barrere View Post
so, I almost have my system set up, when I realize that my contractors buried my sub wire somewhere inside my wall. So, best buy wants 170 to run a new wire, and I'm dying to hear my new sub. Question is, are there any good wireless sub kits out now? I see rocketfish has one for 60, but some people complain that it cuts out at low signal. Are there any good, dependable ones for under 100? And what are the best options.
I have had good luck with this cheap one from Amazon. (though I think it was cheaper when I bought it.

All of these devices will operate on the 2.4Ghz band, (along with bluetooth, cordless phones, microwave ovens, and 2.4ghz wifi) or the 5Ghz band (along with 5Ghz Wifi), so how well a wireless sub kit works is going to depend very much on your neighborhood.

If in a densly populated neighborhood with lots of wifi users and cordless phone users, you'll probably have trouble with a 2.4Ghz unit. A 5Ghz unit will likely work better, as 5Ghz signals have trouble going through walls, so your home will be more insulated, but if you are in a sufficiently dense area even those won't work well, and then wired is your solution.

If you live in a single family home in the suburbs or in a rural area any of them will likely work well, as long as it isn't too close to your microwave.

When I first started using the one I linked above, I used it for my zone 2 in my kitchen. It failed at this role, as every time the microwave went on, my sound would cut out.

Then I moved it to the livingroom for HT sub duty, and it has performed very well in that role. Never had a problem, and having more distance between it and the microwave means it doesn't cut out anymore.

For reference, I live in a medium density suburb in a single family home, so the 2.4Ghz and 5ghz bands while not completely open aren't THAT congested.

Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x1300w, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box

Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,
Headphone Amp: Schiit Jotunheim, Heaphones: Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
Speaker Amp: Emotiva UPA-200, Speakers: RBH 41-se, Sub SVS SB12-NSD
post #3 of 7 Unread 04-10-2017, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I've tried the Rocketfish... two different ones actually. Then I found this one and it's worked great! I took the Rocketfish back for a refund!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2078097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1233.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2078105  

Last edited by Falconsfan71; Yesterday at 06:47 AM.

post #4 of 7 Unread 04-10-2017, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Check out my other videos also!

https://youtu.be/MzKooElVvZs
post #5 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked: 982
It should be noted that many (including me) have had good success with the Rocketfish wireless subwoofer kit when properly set up per the instructions. I plugged mine in a couple of years ago and only think about it when reading threads like this because it has performed flawlessly since and has zero issues with my wireless router. If you have a Best Buy nearby it's easy to pick up a Rocketfish there, and if you are unlucky enough to get a defective one you can just drive back to Best Buy and exchange it for one that works.
post #6 of 7 Unread Today, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 1275
Cut the drywall open and have someone patch it.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So, for future users, I decided to pick up the rocketfish as I wanted to get my sub set up the day it came in....was dying to hear it and didn't want to wait for amazon to mail me one, or for magnolia to come out and rerun wire. At any rate, got it all hooked up, easy as pie, and so far it works flawlessly. No cutouts, even at low signals, no problems connecting at any time. Even after the bass made the walls shake so much that a picture fell off the wall, knocked it off the sub and onto the ground....still worked. So, i'll have to go put in a good review for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers