Master & Dynamic MA770: A Concrete Wireless Speaker with Chromecast Stereo Pairing - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6505 Post(s)
Liked: 11268
Master & Dynamic MA770: A Concrete Wireless Speaker with Chromecast Stereo Pairing

The price is steep ($1800) but the design is avant-garde. Master & Dynamic's first speaker system—the MA770—is 35 pounds of concrete and includes Chromecast. Click the link to read more: Master & Dynamic MA770 Wireless Speaker is Concrete & has Chromecast Stereo Pairing

The new, concrete, MA770 Chromecast wireless speaker from Master & Dynamic.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-19-2017, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 917
It 's cool looking, I'll give it that, and I'm a fan of the brutalist aesthetic, though the woofers seem a bit small for that huge baffle.

Still, you're right, at $3,600, that's a lot to pay for a stereo pair of bluetooth speakers. If I was going to blow that kind of dough on something like that I'd just throw in a few more bills and get the double Devialet Phantom + Dialog bundle, or a couple of JBL LSR 708Ps and a chromecast Audio, though that wouldn't be as pretty.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C

Last edited by TuteTibiImperes; 04-20-2017 at 12:06 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
But does it sound good?

I'm not into modern art so maybe sound quality is irrelevant but is the design part of a 'recycled-to-save-the-world' statement? If so they nailed it. The front grill (that appears to be either falling off or in the service position) looks like it used to be a return air intake found in commercial office buildings and the rear part sliced from a concrete highway barrier. I guess I'm not a dumpster diving kind of guy.

Yamaha, Tannoy, & Polk

post #4 of 6 Old 04-20-2017, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry R View Post
But does it sound good?

I'm not into modern art so maybe sound quality is irrelevant but is the design part of a 'recycled-to-save-the-world' statement? If so they nailed it. The front grill (that appears to be either falling off or in the service position) looks like it used to be a return air intake found in commercial office buildings and the rear part sliced from a concrete highway barrier. I guess I'm not a dumpster diving kind of guy.
The hidden news is it represents the debut of stereo pairing for Chromecast enabled speaker devices. That's a huge deal if it quickly makes its way other, more rationally priced Chromecast speakers.

post #5 of 6 Old 04-24-2017, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Wireless or Not?

Am I correct that you still need to provide power (i.e. 120V) to the speakers?
If yes, then are these really "wireless"?

It is much easier, IMO, to run speaker wires where you need them, then it is to run 120V to where the speakers are located. But if you already have 120V outlets in the correct places, then not having to run speaker wires too is a savings.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-24-2017, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
Am I correct that you still need to provide power (i.e. 120V) to the speakers?
If yes, then are these really "wireless"?

It is much easier, IMO, to run speaker wires where you need them, then it is to run 120V to where the speakers are located. But if you already have 120V outlets in the correct places, then not having to run speaker wires too is a savings.
Yes, you still need to plug them into the wall. The semantics for this particular situation amount to this... if it's battery-powered, it's cordless. If you can connect to it without plugging a source into it, it's wireless.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
chromecast , ma770 , master & dynamic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page