Front Soundstage Choices - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Front Soundstage Choices

Klipsch R-2502-W II or Def Tech DT8LCR?

The room is rather large 16x20. In-wall is the only option I have. There will be a built in cabinet on the left side of the left speaker and another built in on the right side of the speaker (I know, not ideal). The room will be used as a family room, no dedicated theater here. Just looking for 'quality' sound.

What're you thinking? Thank you.

Denon AVR-X3300W (5.1.2) | Proficient Audio AW525 (L&R) | Proficient Audio CC550 | Proficient Audio GS10 (LFE) | Yamaha NS-IC400 (Surrounds) | Harmony Elite | Apple TV (4th Gen) | Denon BDP-1611UD | Sony BDP-S580 | Xbox One | Vizio M50-D1"

Last edited by MasterAudio; 04-19-2017 at 03:09 PM.
MasterAudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,987
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAudio View Post
Klipsch R-2502-W II or Def Tech DT8LCR?

The room is rather large 16x20. In-wall is the only option I have. There will be a built in cabinet on the left side of the left speaker and another built in on the right side of the speaker (I know, not ideal). The room will be used as a family room, no dedicated theater here. Just looking for 'quality' sound.

What're you thinking? Thank you.


I suggest that you look at the PSB line of in-wall speakers, which IMO are much better-sounding than the above.

The W-LCR speaker is especially good. Crutchfield carries them.

Since you are looking for quality sound, you should get speakers that are fully enclosed in their own enclosure; this is the only way to avoid poor performance.

Since you are building them in, it would be a big mistake to cheap out.
commsysman is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
I suggest that you look at the PSB line of in-wall speakers, which IMO are much better-sounding than the above.

The W-LCR speaker is especially good. Crutchfield carries them.

Since you are looking for quality sound, you should get speakers that are fully enclosed in their own enclosure; this is the only way to avoid poor performance.

Since you are building them in, it would be a big mistake to cheap out.
I wish I had the budget to look into PSB. I'm more looking for a a speaker that won't disappoint in regards to the room size and will be of some quality for TV, sports, music and the occasional movie.

Denon AVR-X3300W (5.1.2) | Proficient Audio AW525 (L&R) | Proficient Audio CC550 | Proficient Audio GS10 (LFE) | Yamaha NS-IC400 (Surrounds) | Harmony Elite | Apple TV (4th Gen) | Denon BDP-1611UD | Sony BDP-S580 | Xbox One | Vizio M50-D1"
MasterAudio is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,008
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3704 Post(s)
Liked: 2655
This would be my recommendation:
a) Hsu in-wall speakers, $330/pair shipped
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hiw-1.html
The HIW-1 is simply the in-wall version of Hsu's well reviewed HB-1:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

If at all possible, I'd try to go with a physical center that can be placed so that the tweeter is at ear level of your main listening position since the center does 70-80% of HT output, i.e. it's worth the trouble!
b) Hsu center speaker, $280 shipped
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html
gajCA likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
This would be my recommendation:
a) Hsu in-wall speakers, $330/pair shipped
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hiw-1.html
The HIW-1 is simply the in-wall version of Hsu's well reviewed HB-1:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

If at all possible, I'd try to go with a physical center that can be placed so that the tweeter is at ear level of your main listening position since the center does 70-80% of HT output, i.e. it's worth the trouble!
b) Hsu center speaker, $280 shipped
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html
Thank you! It seems a lot of people like these in their setups. Do you think 6½" woofers all around will be sufficient for the room? I'm gonna pair them with SVS's SB-1000.

Denon AVR-X3300W (5.1.2) | Proficient Audio AW525 (L&R) | Proficient Audio CC550 | Proficient Audio GS10 (LFE) | Yamaha NS-IC400 (Surrounds) | Harmony Elite | Apple TV (4th Gen) | Denon BDP-1611UD | Sony BDP-S580 | Xbox One | Vizio M50-D1"
MasterAudio is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,045
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4142 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAudio View Post
Thank you! It seems a lot of people like these in their setups. Do you think 6½" woofers all around will be sufficient for the room? I'm gonna pair them with SVS's SB-1000.
6.5" woofers should be ideal.

Are you set on the SB1000?

If you want a sealed sub from SVS this one is more powerful and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/SVS-SB12-NSD-.../dp/B009F8Y7SO

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,008
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3704 Post(s)
Liked: 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAudio View Post
Thank you! It seems a lot of people like these in their setups. Do you think 6½" woofers all around will be sufficient for the room? I'm gonna pair them with SVS's SB-1000.
Absolutely, yes...it's the horn tweeter that will have the most room-filling effect.

I would recommend NOT using any sealed subwoofer in a room of that size, unless you are planning on nearfield placement.

I would go with a PB1000 or Hsu VTF-2 at minimum, though a VTF-3 would IMO be well worth the extra money.
MasterAudio likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off