Emotiva's AirMotiv Speakers 3D Immersive Audio Demo is Best of Show AXPONA 2017 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

Old 04-24-2017, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5497 Post(s)
Liked: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post
I was not impressed with their setup this year. The lat two years they used the xmc-1 for their demos and it sounded amazing! What ever pre/pro they used they should never use again!! Me and fours buddies said the same thing. But hey just our opinions.
Tough customer, but a fan of Emo's processors, I see. Well, I can say the Emo folks wished it were smoother but felt they had no choice. I thought it sounded great but understand opinions vary. I happen to think AVRs and pre-pros from the brand they used sound great... again just an opinion.

Mark Henninger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
They are showing off their gear to promote sales, the show environment is seldom a realistic environment.
It's true that show environments are seldom ideal, such as having an obnoxious neighbor two rooms over playing 140dB peaks. However, their configuration was entirely within their control and lacked showing either height efficiency (the issue these horizontal boxes are fictionally designed for) or front soundstage cohesion. It was a missed chance to show to customers and dealers an educational moment and perpetrates sloppy practices.

Chris
llang269 likes this.

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Tough customer, but a fan of Emo's processors, I see. Well, I can say the Emo folks wished it were smoother but felt they had no choice. I thought it sounded great but understand opinions vary. I happen to think AVRs and pre-pros from the brand they used sound great... again just an opinion.
Yea just our opinions, but we all have had and still have Elmo gear. It was very disappointing, but hey if we hadn't experienced their demo the last two years or heard so many other great rooms we might've been more impressed

Old 04-24-2017, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yea just our opinions, but we all have had and still have Elmo gear. It was very disappointing, but hey if we hadn't experienced their demo the last two years or heard so many other great rooms we might've been more impressed
Well, aside from opinions let's discuss facts. I heard last year's demo too. And I happen to think speakers affect sound much more than amps do. I also happen to think that Dolby Atmos processing is essentially universal.

Seems to me you are attributing the difference to the wrong thing altogether. At last year's demo, Emotiva used Polk LSiM707 towers, which cost 4X what the Airmotiv T2s cost. And the Polk center is triple the cost. LSiM sounds great, good enough for Emotiva to use to demo its gear. Let's give some credit where it's due.

Glad you enjoyed the show, I did too.

http://www.avsforum.com/emotiva-ampl...s-axpona-2016/
SteveH and tenthplanet like this.

Mark Henninger
Old 04-24-2017, 07:14 PM

I really enjoyed the show. And so you're saying their speakers weren't up to par? Which my be true. But the amps didn't change the speakers and processor did! But we can just agree to disagree.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I really enjoyed the show. And so you're saying their speakers weren't up to par? Which my be true. But the amps didn't change the speakers and processor did! But we can just agree to disagree.
No, I'm saying if you did not like the system's sound it's more logical to assign attribution to the speakers than to processing. I liked the system, so of course I'm not saying the speakers are not up to par.

What I'm really saying is thinking you can hear the difference in processors using audio memory when there's a one year gap between demos, and the system consisted of totally different speakers, is specious at best.

Mark Henninger
Old 04-24-2017, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
At last year's demo, Emotiva used Polk LSiM707 towers.../url]
Emo used them for their "roadshow," too, when the XMC-1 was basically vaporware. I did not understand the choice. I'd never heard them until the local Emotiva event. They sounded quite good in the sweet spot, but really dull outside it. Something with wider dispersion up top would've been better for an event with multiple seats.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Old 04-24-2017, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
No pictures of the overhead speaker arrangement?
I would love to see a picture
robdman likes this.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
No, I'm saying if you did not like the system's sound it's more logical to assign attribution to the speakers than to processing. I liked the system, so of course I'm not saying the speakers are not up to par.

What I'm really saying is thinking you can hear the difference in processors using audio memory when there's a one year gap between demos, and the system consisted of totally different speakers, is specious at best.
Any chance of an AVS review of the Emotiva T2s (or one of their full sound systems) when they hit the street?
robdman and barfle like this.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel (work in progress): Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers
Old 04-25-2017, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Any chance of an AVS review of the Emotiva T2s (or one of their full sound systems) when they hit the street?
I've been waiting for this from Emotiva, and yes, a review is a must at least 5.1.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I was not impressed with their setup this year. The lat two years they used the xmc-1 for their demos and it sounded amazing! What ever pre/pro they used they should never use again!! Me and fours buddies said the same thing. But hey just our opinions.
Trust me, we were not happy about it either, and ultimately it was a definite sonic compromise to use the third-party processor. (And it proved that the processor you choose does matter, and that ours are sonically superior to most of the more popular mainstream offerings in a way that you WILL notice.) But the choice was between Atmos or No Atmos. Lots of hair-pulling around here over the decision. In the end, the Airmotiv speakers were able to pull enough detail out of what they were fed, and the overall experience was immersive "enough" to show fairly well what the speakers and amps were capable of. But I strongly agree things could have been even better had the RMC-1 been ready for prime-time. It won't be long.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
"The elevation channels were handled by clusters of four E1 wall-mount surround speakers ($269/pair), for a total of sixteen speakers mounted overhead."

Can someone go into detail a bit more on this? How on earth is that wired? Is having them set up in a N,S,E,W configuration better than 1 or 2 pointed at the listening positions? A little more detail on this setup would be great.

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - DALITE 90" - Sony VPL-VW60 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R SpeakerCraft AIM2LCR55 - Surrounds SpeakerCraft AIM LCR5Three - Ceiling SpeakerCraft AIM 8 - Klipsch R110sw - Supercube 6000
Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory@Emotiva View Post
Trust me, we were not happy about it either, and ultimately it was a definite sonic compromise to use the third-party processor. (And it proved that the processor you choose does matter, and that ours are sonically superior to most of the more popular mainstream offerings in a way that you WILL notice.) But the choice was between Atmos or No Atmos. Lots of hair-pulling around here over the decision. In the end, the Airmotiv speakers were able to pull enough detail out of what they were fed, and the overall experience was immersive "enough" to show fairly well what the speakers and amps were capable of. But I strongly agree things could have been even better had the RMC-1 been ready for prime-time. It won't be long.
I hope it's not long I know a lot of people are interested in it! Rory I agree I've had 4 different processors in my system and I could tell the differenc with each one. If the Rmc sounds as good as the xmc with more channels Emotiva won't be able to keep them in stock!!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimo View Post
"The elevation channels were handled by clusters of four E1 wall-mount surround speakers ($269/pair), for a total of sixteen speakers mounted overhead."

Can someone go into detail a bit more on this? How on earth is that wired? Is having them set up in a N,S,E,W configuration better than 1 or 2 pointed at the listening positions? A little more detail on this setup would be great.
The clusters each received a separate Atmos height channel (7.2.4 configuration), and all four speakers in each cluster were fed a common signal. The E1 speakers were angled 60 degrees apart to prevent their tweeters from interfering and creating a hot-spot below the array. The sound from the clusters was nicely diffuse, and just localizable enough to tell that sound was coming from a particular direction. A common problem in Atmos systems with overhead speakers mounted in a low ceiling is with hot-spots and dead spots beneath the array, and our cluster configuration was designed to avoid that. Using multiple speakers also allowed us to play the system louder without fearing damage to the speakers.

Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
Emotiva Engineering
kevon27 and javanpohl like this.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Chances are good, they are the speakers I am most interested in. I'm calling them GoldenEar killers, but don't get me wrong... I love my Triton 5s.
murphy2112 and esappy like this.

Mark Henninger
Old 04-25-2017, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory@Emotiva View Post
The clusters each received a separate Atmos height channel (7.2.4 configuration), and all four speakers in each cluster were fed a common signal. The E1 speakers were angled 60 degrees apart to prevent their tweeters from interfering and creating a hot-spot below the array. The sound from the clusters was nicely diffuse, and just localizable enough to tell that sound was coming from a particular direction. A common problem in Atmos systems with overhead speakers mounted in a low ceiling is with hot-spots and dead spots beneath the array, and our cluster configuration was designed to avoid that. Using multiple speakers also allowed us to play the system louder without fearing damage to the speakers.

Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
Emotiva Engineering
Thanks for the response! How did you wire 4 individual speakers into 1 channel? Did you have 4 wires going to one post? Or were they wired in series?

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - DALITE 90" - Sony VPL-VW60 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R SpeakerCraft AIM2LCR55 - Surrounds SpeakerCraft AIM LCR5Three - Ceiling SpeakerCraft AIM 8 - Klipsch R110sw - Supercube 6000
Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimo View Post
Thanks for the response! How did you wire 4 individual speakers into 1 channel? Did you have 4 wires going to one post? Or were they wired in series?
Two of the E1 speakers were wired in series, then two series pairs were connected in parallel, resulting in the native impedance of the speaker being seen by the amp.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
iMagic wrote (copying with quotations since the link isn't working on the thread proper on my PC):
"Unless you are seduced by the aesthetics of the high-end audiophile offerings, there’s little to be gained from leaving Emotiva’s room and wandering the halls of the show."

Mark - to be fair, AXPONA isn't really oriented historically toward home theater so much as the two-channel, audiophile (hi-res), and personal listening (DAC/headphone) crowd. If you want an HT-oriented show, CEDIA is still the place to be. I go to both shows and while AXPONA has gotten progressively more interesting, their core audience is still those audiences.

Having said that, it does seem like there's less HT rooms than the last show I went to in 2015. That year, along with the Seaton Sounds room having a 7.1 setup (not Atmos IIRC), there was an Atmos room with a Datasat and Triad speakers using their upfiring built-in modules, and I want to say another room with a Marantz and an Atmos setup.
Quote:
JTR was here this year with a 7.0 system that was totally awesome. I also missed Hsu on the 12th floor (which I highly regret).

Obviously CEDIA is huge. But consumers can't go to CEDIA. I was thinking about shows that consumers can attend.

Also, much of what Emotiva sells is totally germane to an audiophile looking for a great 2-channel rig.
While the JTR system had no subwoofers, the bass was routed to all seven 215RT (Reference Towers). Each one has more bass output than nearly all commercial subwoofers. We probably should have called it a 7.7 system.

Next year AXPONA is planning a Home Theater section for the show, but I'm not sure how big it will be. JTR Speakers and Seaton Sound already have their rooms reserved. JTR Speakers will be in Nirvana C (30x59x15) at the new location, Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter, Klein K10-A
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
Old 04-25-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
OK yes consumers can find a way through the door, but they have to know someone. Can't just show up, pay 20 bucks, and walk the floor.
... I did.
barfle likes this.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Hey @imagic at least two people have asked questions about the overhead arrangement since @eng-399 posted a photo. Any chance you two could agree to include that photo in the OP?
imagic likes this.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 2322
Old 04-25-2017, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Hey @imagic at least two people have asked questions about the overhead arrangement since @eng-399 posted a photo. Any chance you two could agree to include that photo in the OP?
OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Screen shot the picture I posted and add it to the first post. I don't mind
Cool, will do shortly, and thank you.
javanpohl and eng-399 like this.

Mark Henninger
Old 04-25-2017, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
This is quite the hot thread. These must be impressive speakers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
That's because they gave us fuel. They demoed and gave us fire. Now we want that which we desire!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post
That's because they gave us fuel. They demoed and gave us fire. Now we want that which we desire!
Sounds a bit like a Metallica song just rearranged a bit. Was just coincidence?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Sounds a bit like a Metallica song just rearranged a bit. Was just coincidence?

Had to give props to your name somehow
Old 04-25-2017, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post
Had to give props to your name somehow
Ah sometimes I forget my name. I'm not not the real James, if I was I'd have a lot better audio equipment than I do. Ha ha.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I was pleased to notice in the YouTube video that the back of the RMC-1 has "Width" outputs. I had been mostly seeing "7.3.6" when it comes to the RMC-1, but those labels suggest 9.3.4.

Of course, my preferred layout would be 9.1.6 when 16 XLR outputs are available, so I wonder if that will be offered as an option.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

Last month I went golfing and shot 4 over par. This month I went to a different golf course, I wore different shoes, I used different clubs, and I changed my swing. I shot 6 over par. I'll definitely never wear those shoes again...
Old 04-26-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2729 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Oh boy, are you sure that you'll be invited back next year?

"The quality of affordable gear has reached a threshold where little or nothing differentiates it from the rarefied high-end systems that occupied many of the rooms at this show."

Geoff A. J., California
Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Chances are good, they are the speakers I am most interested in. I'm calling them GoldenEar killers, but don't get me wrong... I love my Triton 5s.
I will also be very interested in this future review. I just recently (January) made my first ever Emotiva purchase by buying 2 pairs of T1's and the C1 center. Also bought the Bas-X 5 ch. model amp to power them (for now). I really liked what I heard at our local dealer and was able to score everything as demo models. I have been very happy with their performance so far. I have been most impressed with how well the T1's image. Razor sharp imaging in 2 channel (IMHO). But I am very interested in moving up to the T2's since I have a very large room to fill. Thank you for the update!

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
airmotiv , axpona 2017 , Emotiva , xpa gen3