SVS Prime Elevation 3D Immersive Audio Speakers Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #31 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I was so excited to hear these were coming out. Just before they did, I bought a set of Satellites to complete a standard 7.1 system. I currently have a 5.1.2 Atmos system, with the satellites in Top Middle, mounted similar to the picture below (picture stolen from SVS site), but at more of a downward angle. My question is, "how are the Prime Elevation better than a Satellite mounted similar to this? The Satellite is $135, and the Elevation is $200. Is the Elevation really worth spending 50% more than the cost of Satellites with an adjustable wall mount?" My whole system is SVS speakers, but I just don't see how the Elevation line is more versatile or provides any kind of value compared to the Satellite mounted high at an angle.

Last edited by pcfriedrich; 05-19-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 6598 Post(s)
Liked: 11359
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfriedrich View Post
I was so excited to hear these were coming out. Just before they did, I bought a set of Satellites to complete a standard 7.1 system. I currently have a 5.1.2 Atmos system, with the satellites in Top Middle, mounted similar to the picture below (picture stolen from SVS site), but at more of a downward angle. My question is, "how are the Prime Elevation better than a Satellite mounted similar to this? The Satellite is $135, and the Elevation is $200. Is the Elevation really worth spending 50% more than the cost of Satellites with an adjustable wall mount?" My whole system is SVS speakers, but I just don't see how the Elevation line is more versatile or provides any kind of value compared to the Satellite mounted high at an angle.
There are two significant differentiating factors here. First is bass response... -3 dB at 55 Hz for the Elevation versus 69 dB for the Satellite. So, you get more overlap if you use an 80 Hz crossover.

Secondly, and of significant importance, is that the Prime Elevation is 2 dB more sensitive. At 63 watts, it plays as loud as the Sat does at 100 watts. That's consequential.

Yes the two speakers "sound" the same, they are timbre matched and both have wide dispersion. But, they have differences in performance.

If the performance was the same, then a price difference would be harder to justify . Performance differences speak to why you might pay more for the Elevation.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-19-2017 at 11:23 AM.
post #33 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
There are two significant differentiating factors here. First is bass response... -3 dB at 55 Hz for the Elevation versus 69 dB for the satellite. So, you get more overlap if you use a 80 Hz crossover.

Secondly, and of significant importance, is that the prime elevation is 2 dB more sensitive. At 60 watts, it plays as loud as the Sat does at 100 watts. That's consequential.

Yes the two speakers "sound" the same, they are timbre matched and both have wide dispersion. But, they have differences in performance.

If the performance was the same, then a price difference would be harder to justify . Performance differences speak to why you might pay more for the Elevation.
Sold! I'd seen the differences in specs on their site, but had no idea a 2 db difference in sensitivity was so significant.

post #34 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Spoiler!

Would like to see a picture of them up on the wall pls...
Oh man... it ain't pretty. I made ZERO accommodation for esthetics. That's because the systems are all temporary things.

Then there are the limitations of renting. I use black sheets stapled to the walls and carpet squares on my ceiling to make my theater "blackout black" because painting the room matte black would not fly with the landlord. Then there's the no cutting holes in walls thing... all the drywall anchors I put in are bad enough, the walls are battle-scarred. Which brings us to cable. I'm not gonna find a way to make it look good for a temporary review install. So, there's that.

Well, OK then. With those qualifiers, here ya go...a peek behind the curtains, so to speak. I'm married, so showing the rest of the room is out of the question as spouses are not accepting of men publicly showing the behind the scenes mess of their hobbies or of their jobs.

I'm dreaming of IKEA for photogenic seating, and doing the walls up with some sort of fabric squares cut to fit, and incorporating some acoustical treatment in that. But that's the future.

chmorgan likes this.

Last edited by imagic; 05-19-2017 at 01:22 PM.
post #35 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Oh man... it ain't pretty. I made ZERO accommodation for esthetics. That's because the systems are all temporary things.

Then there are the limitations of renting. I use black sheets stapled to the walls and carpet squares on my ceiling to make my theater "blackout black" because painting the room matte black would not fly with the landlord. Then there's the no cutting holes in walls thing... all the drywall anchors I put in are bad enough, the walls are battle-scarred. Which brings us to cable. I'm not gonna find a way to make it look good for a temporary review install. So, there's that.

Well, OK then. With those qualifiers, here ya go...a peek behind the curtains, so to speak. I'm married, so showing the rest of the room is outo f the question as spouses are not accepting of men publicly showing the behind the scenes mess of their hobbies or of their jobs.

I'm dreaming of IKEA for photogenic seating, and doing the walls up with some sort of fabric squares cut to fit, and incorporating some acoustical treatment in that. But that's the future.

Who needs aesthetics... cuz when the lights go out, its just you engulfed in 2000 nits of brightness and surrounded by mind-bending immersive sound!
Ulisescm likes this.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Currently For SALE : UHD Media & Codes
post #36 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 444
How did you configure the Atmos designations? Front Height / Rear Height? Or Top Front / Top Rear? Or some other combination?
post #37 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
How did you configure the Atmos designations? Front Height / Rear Height? Or Top Front / Top Rear? Or some other combination?
Front/Rear height, yes
Pitbull0669 likes this.

post #38 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
With the SVS Prime Elevation speakers, adding 3D immersive audio like Dolby Atmos AND DTS:X to a compatible system is quick, easy and affordable. Click the link to read more: SVS Sound Prime Elevation Speakers Review

Nice review.

Just for info since you said
"It’s purpose-designed for on-wall use"

They can now be mounted on the ceiling too
SVS have design a block system that use the same wall mounting bracket, but once in place, it will stop the speaker to fall due to vibration, very limited quantity at the moment but will be available.

Of course it take little while longer to install, due to the angles and distances if you want to follow Atmos white paper, on installation.
Took me 15 hours to install the bracket at 45 degree facing the MLP (since you can only use 2 holes from the 4 holes mounting bracket, I use 1/4-2" long lag bolt, overkill), where the studs on ceiling were, I achieve 49 degrees for the front, and 51 degrees for the back ones (angle from the MLP ears, to the ceiling), a little off from the perfect number (45 degrees), but still within the recommended angle

Just thought to share this info.

Ray
imagic likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 05-19-2017 at 05:59 PM.
post #39 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Nice review.

Just for info since you said
"It’s purpose-designed for on-wall use"

They can now be mounted on the ceiling too
SVS have design a block system that use the same wall mounting bracket, but once in place, it will stop the speaker to fall due to vibration, very limited quantity at the moment but will be available.

Of course it take little while longer to install, due to the angles and distances if you want to follow Atmos white paper, on installation.
Took me 15 hours to install the bracket at 45 degree facing the MLP (since you can only use 2 holes from the 4 holes mounting bracket, I use 1/4-2" long lag bolt, overkill), where the studs on ceiling were, I achieve 49 degrees for the front, and 51 degrees for the back ones (angle from the MLP ears, to the ceiling), a little off from the perfect number (45 degrees), but still within the recommended angle

Just thought to share this info.

Ray
Review gladly edited to reflect your valid point.

post #40 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wonder if the Atmos Klipsch can be mounted on the sides at the top just like this SVS elevation speakers, here in my country SVS is not easily available as the Klipsch.
post #41 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisescm View Post
I wonder if the Atmos Klipsch can be mounted on the sides at the top just like this SVS elevation speakers, here in my country SVS is not easily available as the Klipsch.
Yes you can do that. Indeed, Klipsch even suggests it is doable, and has a built in slot to hang them on a wall. The layout SVS suggests and that I used works the same.

Oh, and one more thing... The Klipsch modules are what I am using right now, and mounted on the walls is how I am using them. Yesterday I took the SVS system apart and packed it to return. I put Klipsch modules in their place (I own four). Basically the same performance.

Last edited by imagic; 05-20-2017 at 05:29 AM.
post #42 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any install, config pictures plz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #43 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibaji View Post
Any install, config pictures plz?

There's nothing to show. Me holding a drill? I thought about it but the logistics of taking those kind of pics (up high, in a dark room) ultimately led me to simply skip it. Hopefully someone else has pics like that? Anyhow, it's very simple stuff, four screws.

I have a video clip of me screwing the cracked on to the speaker enclosure plus some video pans of the Elevation speakers (not install though). May as well render it, will post that shortly.

post #44 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Yes you can do that. Indeed, Klipsch even suggests it is doable, and has a built in slot to hang them on a wall. The layout SVS suggests and that I used works the same.

Oh, and one more thing... The Klipsch modules are what I am using right now, and mounted on the walls is how I am using them. Yesterday I took the SVS system apart and packed it to return. I put Klipsch modules in their place (I own four). Basically the same performance.
I have 4 of the Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos modules placed on top of my speakers. I'm going to give it a shot and move them to the side walls this weekend.
imagic and vn800art like this.
post #45 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
There's nothing to show. Me holding a drill? I thought about it but the logistics of taking those kind of pics (up high, in a dark room) ultimately led me to simply skip it. Hopefully someone else has pics like that? Anyhow, it's very simple stuff, four screws.

I have a video clip of me screwing the cracked on to the speaker enclosure plus some video pans of the Elevation speakers (not install though). May as well render it, will post that shortly.

Sorry! I did not mean install. I meant final speaker set up for atmos/dts x testing

post #46 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibaji View Post
Sorry! I did not mean install. I meant final speaker set up for atmos/dts x testing

Oh no. I'm not willing to show that. Because it's for a review, the install is totally temporary and a mess. And now, it's all packed up and not even something I could photograph if I wanted to. Sorry!

Anyhow here's a very brief video I threw together a few minutes ago.

Last edited by imagic; 05-20-2017 at 10:46 AM.
post #47 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 11:04 AM

Done. Elevation speakers are on order. Moving my Prime Satellites and PB-1000 to the kitchen/dining room. I don't think I'll miss the PB-1000, the 2 PC-2000s should be fine in my family room.

I got the gloss black, one of which was in the Outlet for $230, with no damage. Including the 5% return customer discount, total cost was $455.

They currently have an undamaged Elevation in Gloss White in the Outlet for $220, if anyone is interested.

Last edited by pcfriedrich; 05-20-2017 at 11:31 AM.
post #48 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thank you! gonna buy the Klipsch.
post #49 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho101 View Post
These appear to rear-ported. Does that create any problem with wall mounting? Shouldn't there be a few inches of clearance between the wall and the port?
Yes, there should be - at least 2x port diameter. From the pictures of mounted speakers, this isn't so. I can not see reviewer or SVS addressing this.
post #50 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yes, there should be. From the pictures of mounted speakers, this isn't so. I can not see reviewer or SVS addressing this.
Ask SVS for a technical answer/explanation to the thinking behind the design.

I found nothing to discuss in terms of real-world performance, and presumably that means the bracket leaves enough space for the vent to do its thing.
pcfriedrich likes this.

Last edited by imagic; 05-20-2017 at 04:46 PM.
post #51 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Ask SVS for a technical answer/explanation to the thinking behind the design.

I found nothing to discuss in terms of real-world performance, and presumably that means the bracket leaves enough space for the vent to do its thing.
I asked SVS about that when buying my Satellites for Atmos (weeks before they announced the Elevation were in the works). They told me that the satellites were designed to be hung directly on the wall, I asked them if the port should be plugged. They said it wasn't necessary. I took one down, and felt the rear port when listening to music on "all channel stereo" there was no pressure coming out of the port. If there are any negative effects, they aren't audible to a human, and the computer-detectible negative effects are corrected by Audissey...
imagic and vn800art like this.
post #52 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I finished moving the 4 Klipsch Atmos modules from being on top my speakers to the side walls like the Prime Elevation speakers. Oh yeah, they sound much better now. I prefer the direct sound effects than what I was getting with bouncing the sounds off of the ceiling.

Thumbs down to the wires currently hanging down from the side walls and ceiling haha.
imagic, pcfriedrich and vn800art like this.
post #53 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp4lifehva View Post
I finished moving the 4 Klipsch Atmos modules from being on top my speakers to the side walls like the Prime Elevation speakers. Oh yeah, they sound much better now. I prefer the direct sound effects than what I was getting with bouncing the sounds off of the ceiling.

Thumbs down to the wires currently hanging down from the side walls and ceiling haha.
You've encapsulated my review experience in one and a half short, succinct paragraphs. Congratulations!!!!

post #54 of 68 Old 05-20-2017, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
... computer-detectible negative effects are corrected by Audissey...
The point of the ported design is to extend the bass a bit lower and to even out lower midrange. However, if this speaker is detected or assigned "small" characteristic, then, it's bass is redirect to "full" speaker or subwoofer by the receiver anyway, in addition to equalization, so, the port would serve no purpose.
Even a partially covered port attracts dust and insects, so, a ported design can be a nuisance unless there's a reason for it.
pcfriedrich likes this.
post #55 of 68 Old 05-21-2017, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
The point of the ported design is to extend the bass a bit lower and to even out lower midrange. However, if this speaker is detected or assigned "small" characteristic, then, it's bass is redirect to "full" speaker or subwoofer by the receiver anyway, in addition to equalization, so, the port would serve no purpose.
Even a partially covered port attracts dust and insects, so, a ported design can be a nuisance unless there's a reason for it.
That's a particularly low priority issue, one that is easily solved by keeping bugs out of the house (I'm no fan of bugs flying around while I listen to music) and occasionally cleaning things (vacuuming, dusting, the usual).

That's the first time I've read such an objection.

post #56 of 68 Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Wouldn't want to continue the OT, but ... I am highly interested in an installation which could cope with all the 3 leading encoders/upmixers. So, the question is, regarding SVS or Klipsch, which ceiling hanging system could be used to the purpose (edit: for front heights no change, ceiling mounting is needed for rear heights! This to maintain Auro3d compatibility)?
Thanks for your interest
Regards
Alessandro

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited by vn800art; 05-21-2017 at 06:03 AM.
post #57 of 68 Old 05-21-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vn800art View Post
Wouldn't want to continue the OT, but ... I am highly interested in an installation which could cope with all the 3 leading encoders/upmixers. So, the question is, regarding SVS or Klipsch, which ceiling hanging system could be used to the purpose (edit: for front heights no change, ceiling mounting is needed for rear heights! This to maintain Auro3d compatibility)?
Thanks for your interest
Regards
Alessandro

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk
The SVS makes dedicated ceiling mounts. You'd have to talk to them about availability. I took these pictures from here:

https://www.svsound.com/products/pri...tion#mountlink

vn800art likes this.
post #58 of 68 Old 05-21-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
While this may be true with the small 4" driver of the Satellite and Elevation speakers. There is a significant amount of pressure exiting the port of my Prime Tower mains and Bookshelf surround speakers, even set to "small", and crossed over at 80 Hz.
post #59 of 68 Old 05-21-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
The SVS makes dedicated ceiling mounts. You'd have to talk to them about availability. I took these pictures from here:

https://www.svsound.com/products/pri...tion#mountlink

Thanks for posting this. Confirms my thinking that elevation on ceiling is limited to the angle of the speaker. Sats on a regular mount would allow more flexibility.
pcfriedrich likes this.
post #60 of 68 Old 05-23-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 310
SVS Prime Elevation 3D Immersive Audio Speakers Review

My landlord gave me approval to hang speakers on my wall. Now I'm seriously considering the SVS speakers. So what's the best way to hide cords up the wall? Use a cord covering system like cable mate?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
dolby atmos , svs prime elevation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page