SVS Prime Elevation 3D Immersive Audio Speakers Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #1 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6505 Post(s)
Liked: 11268
SVS Prime Elevation 3D Immersive Audio Speakers Review

With the SVS Prime Elevation speakers, adding 3D immersive audio like Dolby Atmos AND DTS:X to a compatible system is quick, easy and affordable. Click the link to read more: SVS Sound Prime Elevation Speakers Review
Leon O, darthray, tezster and 2 others like this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Any audible difference with the prime sats?
Pitbull0669 likes this.

📺 Sony (XBR-55X930D)
📻 Yamaha (RX-V475)
🎶 SVS (PRIME)

🔊 SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
🎮Switch▪️PS4▪️Xbox One 2.5TB
post #3 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
Any audible difference with the prime sats?
Not really, the Primes are very much tonal matches for one another. Loved the Prime Sats when I reviewed a minimalist 5.1 system containing them and later used them for an Atmos rig.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

post #4 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Not really, the Primes are very much tonal matches for one another. Loved the Prime Sats when I reviewed a minimalist 5.1 system containing them and later used them for an Atmos rig.
I believe the Sats will give you more options to angle the speaker in an on ceiling Atmos set up just due to the difference in design.
post #5 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
I believe the Sats will give you more options to angle the speaker in an on ceiling Atmos set up just due to the difference in design.
To that point I'd simply suggest that with the Satellites and the Elevations, quite a few installation scenarios are covered.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

post #6 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 366
It's really comforting to see at least one speaker manufacturer develop a speaker that is designed to be on-ceiling mounted, instead of in-ceiling mounted.
DS-21, imagic, Merlin521 and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Thanks for the review of elevation speakers

Purchased a new AVR with Atmos last month and planned on going with elevation speakers due to ceiling fans, wife not liking the idea of tearing up the ceiling etc. Thanks to your review, I'm glad I did so elevations are in the mix.

Thanks for the review and costing me even more money.
post #8 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 251
So having heard in ceiling and reflective, you truly prefer the Prime elevation?

I enjoy my PSB XA AE speakers but at times they do draw my attention due to the thinner sound. I've contemplated the Elevations just to get some real speakers overhead (without the cutting) but I've been concerned about the gap between front and rear not creating that convincing "bubble".

You're twisting my arm here!
post #9 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
One quick question,

Having the elevation speakers causes them to be located the furthest distance away from the listening position. Read about Atmos and seem to recall the calibrated level is 6dB lower than the LCR and surrounds. If true, this would allow the elevation speakers to be around 5dB less efficient than the other speakers and run on the same power requirements. If the Atmos elevation speakers have the same SPL requirements as the mains, they would be the highest SPL output due to distance Am I correct, completely wrong or require a change to my medication?

I'm happy that the elevation design works well, my ceiling can maintain it's purity from mounts, holes or bouncing sound and I can still get that extra effect and hopefully keep it small enough not to scream look at me (Paint them the same color as the wall/ceiling and white grills) Now to figure out their max SPL requirements and get the ones to keep up with the LCR and surrounds.
post #10 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 301
How would the SVS Prime Elevation speakers match with the Take Classic 5.1? I want to build a 5.1.4 and Im thinking about just adding 4
Prime Elevation speakers and a new AVR.
post #11 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 523
How did you place them? Front and rear (Auro style) or on the sides?
Ulisescm likes this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #12 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Are front and back not preferred usually?
post #13 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To that point I'd simply suggest that with the Satellites and the Elevations, quite a few installation scenarios are covered.
Mark, do you have any pics or guidance for on ceiling mounting options for the elevations speakers?

Last edited by imureh; 05-18-2017 at 10:15 PM.
post #14 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakdaddy View Post
IIRC SVS had at least one paper advocating putting the front on-wall heights on the sidewalls near the front wall rather than on the front wall. I can't currently find it quickly, however.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #15 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm really curious how they are mounted as well, with pics if you got them.
post #16 of 68 Old 05-18-2017, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
These appear to rear-ported. Does that create any problem with wall mounting? Shouldn't there be a few inches of clearance between the wall and the port?
post #17 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
On the sides

post #18 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Mark, do you have any pics or guidance for on ceiling mounting options for the elevations speakers?
I did not try ceiling mount

post #19 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakdaddy View Post
IMO you go with the configuration that works for your room. If it sounds good, that's what matters.

post #20 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
How would the SVS Prime Elevation speakers match with the Take Classic 5.1? I want to build a 5.1.4 and Im thinking about just adding 4
Prime Elevation speakers and a new AVR.
You would be better off, replacing your front and center channel speakers with SVS Prime Satellites or Bookshelfs, then moving your current front channels to be a 7.1. The Takes have a 3" woofer with a .75" tweeter, whereas the Prime Elevations have 4.5" woofers with a 1" tweeter, your elevation speakers would overpower your Takes.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #21 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
I really wish they made an "add-on" version of this. I have the andrew jones add ons right now, and I am not really impressed with them. Do you have a recommendation Mark?
post #22 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I really wish they made an "add-on" version of this. I have the andrew jones add ons right now, and I am not really impressed with them. Do you have a recommendation Mark?
You mean a licensed Atmos-enabled reflected-sound speaker-topper, yes? I'm fond of PSB's design as it incorporates thick padding to minimize leakage—crucial to getting the best effect using this method—but is not too pricey at $500/pair.

post #23 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
You mean a licensed Atmos-enabled reflected-sound speaker-topper, yes? I'm fond of PSB's design as it incorporates thick padding to minimize leakage—crucial to getting the best effect using this method—but is not too pricey at $500/pair.

Do you think the PSB's would work better ceiling mounted as well? I'm thinking of moving mine from atop my fronts and mounting at the meeting of my sloped wall and ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IMO you go with the configuration that works for your room. If it sounds good, that's what matters.
Not a SVS speaker question but related to sounding better, I have option to do either a 5.2.4 set up or 7.2 set up, what would sound better? I am not able to do 7.2.4 set up due to the height difference requirements between the height and surround speakers. I can get the surrounds down to ear level but not the side surrounds. Pics attached. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker connections in ceiling.jpg.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	2145658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker connections and sub.jpg.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	2145666  
post #25 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Now you write up this article? I went and bought 4 prime elevation speakers for Atmos and NOW you tell me how great they are?!? I had to buy them for myself to determine that, yes, they are awesome.

I have a 5.2.4 surround with 2 SVS Ultra Towers, 1 Ultra Center, 2 Prime Bookshelves, 2 PC-12+, and 4 Prime elevation.

I bought a single pc-12+ a while back and was blown away and kept adding more and more SVS stuff until it was all SVS.

My take on the elevation speakers:

I added an extra subwoofer, upgraded to bookshelf surrounds, and added 4 height speakers all at the same time. My system improved drastically. The bass was the biggest improvement. The surrounds definitely improved. The height effects were harder to determine the improvement. That is, until I used my Marantz SR6011 app to change the audio on the fly.

I watched John Wick first, a movie I've seen at least 5 times. It was the only movie I had with Atmos. It was late so I could only watch a couple scenes. I swear, I have watched whole comedy shows where I didn't smile that much. I was grinning ear to ear at points it sounded so damn good. The club shootout scene sounded like I was in the damn club! The next day I watched the helicopter scene in it and it was the first "atmos scene" that had discrete sounds I knew should be coming from above and it sounded great!

The article is spot on. Despite having 9 speakers in my room, you can't really tell where it's coming from. So, I put the sound in 5.1 surround and only after going from 5.2 to 5.2.4 and back does the difference become noticeable. Everything felt flatter. The music score was more effective for sure with atmos. I feel like that's currently the main benefit of atmos - the scores and ambient sounds like insects chirping and weather sounds.

I've since watched Fifth Element and Mad Max Fury Road, both of which have dolby atmos. Especially Mad Max was unbelievable with the new Prime speakers. I know this isn't about atmos, it's about the SVS Prime Speakers, but I don't have a lot of experiences to compare them to. I can't imagine in ceiling speakers for the same price doing a better job other than the positioning being directly over head. I wish I could listen to all atmos audio on everything I watch. Although I can force audio into the top speakers with Neural x, even the same movies that have atmos on disc sound much worse when using Neural X off a digital version with no atmos. I still like putting things on Neural X, but it doesn't always have the greatest effect. The score being on the height speakers is always nice. It really does create a bubble of sound.

I have my front overhead speakers about 3-4 feet in front of the MLP, mounted on the side walls. The rear overhead speakers are about 2-3 feet behind the MLP, also on the side walls. I do not have them equidistant because the rear left overhead speaker would have been too close to an adjacent wall and I didn't want it reflecting off of there. To compensate, I placed the front overhead speakers slightly more forward as compared to my back speakers.

By the way, I bought all my stuff from SVS in part because they have great bang for the buck audio, but also because the service is impeccable. I was given advice on anything I would send them questions about. Never did I wait longer than a day for a response. Usually e-mails were answered within 2 hours!!!! THat's amazing to me and I am so happy to be supporting an Midwestern company like SVS. I will definitely consider them in the future if I buy anymore audio products they offer.

Feel free to ask me anything about the elevations speakers.

Oh! One last thing. I bought 2 elevation speakers from the outlet in anticipation of getting 4. No more white ones ever popped up in the outlet, so I eventually bought the last 2 from the regular store at full price. In the meanwhile, I placed the elevation speakers next to my couch as side surrounds (I had no rear surrounds and still don't). I replaced some inexpensive Pioneer bookshelves. The difference was immediate and noticeable. The elevations were placed on stands and not exactly in ideal position and they still did an amazing job. These speakers really are versatile. My prime bookshelves are in better positions now than the prime elevations and are much meatier, so they sound better than the elevations, but not as big of an improvement as the pioneers to the elevations.

Last edited by megametaman; 05-19-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: clarification
post #26 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE= The height effects were harder to determine the improvement. That is, until I used my Marantz SR6011 app to change the audio on the fly. [/QUOTE]

I have just bought a Denon 4300H and am conisdering the SVS Sats or elevations for Atmos. What changes did you have to make in the AVR to get the Atmos effect? Also do you think the elevations can be mounted on ceiling? I know the Sats can with a regular mount so allow direction towards the MLP. I already have connections in ceiling that I want to use even though they may not be located in the ideal position
post #27 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Spoiler!

Would like to see a picture of them up on the wall pls...

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Currently For SALE : UHD Media & Codes
post #28 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I have just bought a Denon 4300H and am conisdering the SVS Sats or elevations for Atmos. What changes did you have to make in the AVR to get the Atmos effect? Also do you think the elevations can be mounted on ceiling? I know the Sats can with a regular mount so allow direction towards the MLP. I already have connections in ceiling that I want to use even though they may not be located in the ideal position
I came very close to buying the same receiver. From my research, it seems like you can't go wrong with either. I left out in my earlier rave, the marantz's Audessey XT32 does an amazing job of calibrating speakers to the point where, at least by my noob standards, there's not much left to do to improve the sound. I believe both receivers have Audessey XT32. I mention this because I think you can angle the prime satellites and the audio EQ can do a great job with what it's given.

Personally, unless you are on a budget, I would go with the elevations instead. I've heard some less than stellar reviews on the satellites and nothing but good reviews and experiences with the elevations. I was advised by SVS that the elevations are about sound dispersion and that they did NOT need to be angled at the listener. I have mine against the ceiling, wall-mounted so the baffle is down-ward firing. Personally, I don't see an advantage of putting them on the ceiling unless there is no adequate wall around to place them on. I've also heard that the original mounts are not good for ceiling mounting. I've also heard they have an improved mount for that now, but I'm not certain.

If you have to ceiling mount the speakers because of your setup, I still think it'd be worth it to e-mail SVS and find out how to make it happen rather than putting in a mount and angling the satellites towards you. Again, unless it's a budget concern, I'd recommend the elevations.
hughh likes this.
post #29 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
Quote:
Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for.
post #30 of 68 Old 05-19-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megametaman View Post
I came very close to buying the same receiver. From my research, it seems like you can't go wrong with either. I left out in my earlier rave, the marantz's Audessey XT32 does an amazing job of calibrating speakers to the point where, at least by my noob standards, there's not much left to do to improve the sound. I believe both receivers have Audessey XT32. I mention this because I think you can angle the prime satellites and the audio EQ can do a great job with what it's given.

Personally, unless you are on a budget, I would go with the elevations instead. I've heard some less than stellar reviews on the satellites and nothing but good reviews and experiences with the elevations. I was advised by SVS that the elevations are about sound dispersion and that they did NOT need to be angled at the listener. I have mine against the ceiling, wall-mounted so the baffle is down-ward firing. Personally, I don't see an advantage of putting them on the ceiling unless there is no adequate wall around to place them on. I've also heard that the original mounts are not good for ceiling mounting. I've also heard they have an improved mount for that now, but I'm not certain.

If you have to ceiling mount the speakers because of your setup, I still think it'd be worth it to e-mail SVS and find out how to make it happen rather than putting in a mount and angling the satellites towards you. Again, unless it's a budget concern, I'd recommend the elevations.
Thanks, the price difference between the elevations and the Sats is not enough to wreck my budget. I was considering the Sats just to give me more flexibility for angling the speaker. It seems like it depends on who you talk to at SVS as I was told something different from Ed Mullen, where he stated that they are the exact same speaker and he had Sats in his room too. Any how they did tell me that the ceiling mount will not allow as much angling options as the Sats but will check again. The wire connections are about 1.5-2 feet away from the side walls and not sure if it will look good. Not sure if you saw my room pics earlier, but here they are so you can see what I am referring to. Thanks in advance for your views

By the way are you using the app for calibration or using to tweak the normal results?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker connections in ceiling.jpg.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	2145914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker connections and sub.jpg.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	2145922  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement