AVS Forum banner

After 9 hrs of Research-- QA Concept 20, HSU CCB-8 and few others

15K views 138 replies 28 participants last post by  gajCA 
#1 ·
I've been reading these forums, went all the way back to March 1st, 2017.

I've identified a group of speakers best for my application but I could be completely off base
I still need help

ALL NEW NOTHING SET UP:
Denon X2300W
(2) HSU VTF2.5 Subs
Elac Debut B6 (going to return, havent heard them but believe better speakers out there)

My Florida room is 11 ft wide by about 40ft long, I have a 7ft long x 2ft Entertainment Cabinet,

I was going to do without a Center Channel but I guess thats foolish now from what majority of you have said, My usage:
50% TV
30% Music
20% Movies

My Final (subject to change) speaker list from Top (most interested) is as follows:

HSU CCB-8 $699 speakers but if I add their Center total $1,100
Q Acoustics Concept 20= $499 w stands $675 + Center = Total $1,000
KEF Q300= $399 sale + Center prob $300 = Total $700-$800
HSU HB1-MK2 + HC1 (center) = Total $519
RBH R5Bi Book= $112 per buy 3 use 1 as center = $350.00 (recommended by forum member)

I'm definitely open to other considerations. This process has wore me out last two days.

WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE & WHY. THANK YOU

See less See more
#3 ·
Elac Debut B6 (going to return, havent heard them but believe better speakers out there)

WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE & WHY. THANK YOU
Is there any particular reason you simply haven't hooked the Elacs up and listened to them? Place you bought from won't take back open returns or something?

It's possible you'd like the elacs better than whatever you replace them with. It's not like they are bad speakers.

And asking other people what they'd choose may be sort of meaningless, as we don't have your ears. Everyone has different tastes.

I assume you have gone to Best Buy or a local store, and listened to a couple of different types of speakers to see what sound you prefer? BB also has easy returns (and you can open the speakers up and try them at home too).

It seems like you made this much more difficult for yourself than it really needed to be, to be honest.

#5 ·
I haven't been to a store. I'm not a trained ear so prob won't be able to differentiate between various speakers.

As far the the Elac Debut 6s, the only reason is because I'm not seeing a lot of love for them. They seem to be ok nothing great and many others a lot better for same price or a little more money.
I would rather put a few dollars knowing I got a higher quality/output speaker based on reviews (amateurs & experts) then to wonder every day if I got a good speaker. I will always have in my mind, probably purely psychological at this point) that I dont have one of the better speakers on market under $800

#4 ·
For Music, Kef. The Kef's are neutral speakers meaning they are less likely to be fatiguing. They have good detail and clarity and project a wide sound stage which means they sound the same from any seat in the room. I find them very fulfilling for both music and movies. The one caveat is you can't play these at reference level, though they can get louder than I can stand in my space with a modest AVR & budget sub.

#6 ·
9 hr of research, but how much of that time was spent LISTENING to speakers? The only way you will know what you like is to listen to speakers! Why not listen to the ELAC?

#7 ·
I know I should but I trust others more than myself. I have no idea what to "listen" for other than it sounding good. But I'm sure most any speaker over $100 would sound good.
Its rare when you see a lot of articles/reviews praising something that you say "man, WTF were all those people smoking", On other hand, it happens quite a bit you like something initially with little or no reviews/articles that a month later you're like WTF did I buy.

I could be off base but just what I think.

#8 ·
Btw, ELAC is VERY highly regarded on this forum! Since I haven't listen to them personal, I cannot comment.

#9 ·
Your Florida room is 40 feet long and you are using an AVR

Out of the three, I'd go with the Hsu CC-8 for it's much higher efficiency in such a large room. As far as the Elacs go, they have much, much lower efficiency so if you are looking to fill a 40 foot room with sound, scratch those off the list.

I've lived in Florida and had a "Florida room" which was not heated/cooled with temperature control provided by mother nature. If that is what your environment consists of, I'd go with speakers that can handle heat/humidity etc. from the start. The HT guys like the Mackie C200 speakers, they are 10" two-ways with a compression horn driver that would give you coverage and SPL for 40 feet and won't flinch being in a Florida room. They run $199 each or less depending on sales, moon phase etc. and work very well for HT and the spoken word. You can get mounting brackets for them so wall mounting is an option and with the post mounts, stand mounting will work also. Good luck!

#11 ·
18, I don't think the OP suggested he was sitting 40 feet away! If he is sitting 10 feet away, the ELAC with a decent Amp will be plenty powerful. Your front speakers only have to deliver SPLs to the seating positions, now your subwoofers are going to see the whole room!
OP, if you like you movie experience really loud, 18 hurt is correct...more sensitive speakers would be a good idea.

#13 ·
I have a 22 x 14 foot room, speaker with 86 db sensitivity and a 50 wpc amp. My system get stupid loud.

Reactions: gajCA
#14 ·
It's just silly to already have highly rated speakers sitting there and haven't bothered listening to them. You say you trust others opinion more than your own which doesn't make sense because we don't have your ears. The B6's might sound amazing to you, or you could send them back unheard and get some HSU's or other random speakers that hurt your ears. Then what? Without having the motivation to go listen to a few different pairs at a store and give us feedback, or at least listen to the ones that are sitting there in a box in front of you, it's going to be very difficult to give you any advice.

#18 ·
Seems like Z Review of youTube really really likes these

RBH R5BiR
HTD Level 3s
Elac B6s

I think, not sure, but he really likes the Elac B6s

#25 ·
The reason there are so many different types of speakers with so many different sound characteristics is because there is such a wide variety of personal taste involved in what speaker sounds best. When it comes to speakers one sound doesn't fit all. You need to understand what sound characteristics are most important to you and then select speakers with those characteristics from a widely recommended quality brand that fits within your budget. :)

#27 ·
As pointed out by more than a few people.
1. You have a well respected speaker, why not take a listen?
2. Not everyone subscribes to the "high sensitive speakers only" philosophy and some of us get by and have very good systems with 86-90 db speakers
3. Only your ears will tell you what speaker you will like...you gotta listen to speakers, not read reviews.
4. You have a good speaker in your possession and a bunch of good speakers on your list. the best thing is to buy at least one additional speaker set, listen to those and the ELACs in a A/B test and see what you like best. you cannot hear all the speakers you may want to, unless you are willing to buy them and send the ones you don't like back. You may pay return shipping and re-shelving fees, however.

#28 ·
You have a nice list of speakers and have been given excellent advice throughout this thread. So excellent, in fact, that I can’t add anything that hasn’t already been said … but I will anyway :). Just realize that no speaker is perfect (at any price range) and each may bring something different to the table that you enjoy. Untrained ear or not, it’s up to each individual to determine the sound signature and soundstage that pleases the most. Can you buy blind and be happy? Of course. But part of the fun is auditioning different speakers, and the best auditions are those you conduct in your own home. So take your time, and more importantly, have fun.

#29 ·
Ok guys after listening to you guys about "Listening" not just reading I have done the following:

SETUP 1

Elac Debut B6 speakers & Just ordered Elac C5 Center

SETUP 2

Just Ordered 3 RBH R5BiR's for L/R/C

SETUP 3

Just Order HTD Level 3 Speakers & HTD Level 3 Center

So now, I will have the opportunity to go head to head

Elac B6 Debut vs. HTD Level 3 vs. RBH R5Bir's

Hopefully by next week I will have an answer and report back. This might be the very 1st review of these 3 speakers in the semi-budget class going to head to head

#33 ·
There you go. Now that is action..the only way you can get the best possible speakers for your ears in your room is to listen to them with your ears in your room. be sure to post impressions!

#34 ·
I have bought 1 more and added to the mix

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-150M & Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-250C

#37 ·
I have bought 1 more and added to the mix

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-150M & Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-250C
Z-Reviews also reviewed the RP-150M, and his review as consistent with what others have said. The NEW "RP" series have really tamed the overbearing Shouty quality that some people typically assign to Klipsch speakers.

While I can't predict your personal taste, I suspect you will be impressed with the HTD and the Klipsch. Especially for movies, but have high efficiency and both have a solid Mid/High presence what works well for movies.

I suspect, best guess, that you will find the ELAC B6 good for music, but perhaps a bit soft for movies. Again, that's a matter of taste not fact.

The Q Acoustic Concept 20 are very good speakers, exceptionally well balanced. I've done a review on the forums, but here is a link to the Video Review I did. I was extremely impressed with these speakers, but my orientation is geared more toward music. But I did watch one of the X-Men movies with ONLY the Concept 20, and that was still a thrilling movie with very clear sound -

Steve/bluewizard

#41 ·
Gosh dam you. I've been leaning CCB-8s since the start. THe $700 for pair is great price, I just hate buying the 3rd because now everything is $1100.
ive went way past my original $1,000 budget

Here is what I have bought

Denon X2300 W $500
Definitive 6500 outdoor $400
2 HSU VTF 2.5 subs $1200
Elac B6

(This was my original package I bought, but I have added 3 other sets of speakers to evaluate which I want to keep)

So you can see my reservations

If I buy HSU CCB-8s now I'm over 3K. One other thing HSU kinda pissed me off. They gave me $50 dollar off one sub and WOULD NOT BUDGE ONE DOLLAR to entice me to buy CCB-8s.
Even if they offered me $25.00 I woulda probably done it, just kinda showed they cared about the customer. Don't get me wrong I talked with somebody there for about 15 mins, they did provide very honest answers and good ideas.
I don't know just rambling at this point. I just felt after buying 2 subs and looking for buy a 1K system they would do a little more. Other companies would have.

#42 ·
The only simple question I have is this

Would the HSU CCB-8 $800 price for pair of speakers ($699 speakers + $125 shipping) be worth spending that money

VS.

Speakers I bought in $300 range?

QA 3020
HTD Level 3
RBH R5BIR
Elac Debut 6

#43 ·
The only simple question I have is this

Would the HSU CCB-8 $800 price for pair of speakers ($699 speakers + $125 shipping) be worth spending that money

VS.

Speakers I bought in $300 range?

QA 3020

HTD Level 3

RBH R5BIR

Elac Debut 6

Ive posted a similar question one of my threads and the responses were a resounding yes.

Im also in the market for HSUs also contemplating splurging on the CC8s maybe we can work out a group buy and get a bit of discount.

How big is ur room that you need 2 subs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#47 ·
Overall, I don't think you will be disappointed at all with any selection you make. You will be happy either way. But for movies, specifically, the CCB-8s trump these other speakers? Music? Probably even, though the CCB-8s do play louder. If it's only a matter of a "few bucks", I'm sure I can help you work something out! My pleasure.

I will say this: if you have very sensitive ears, these speakers do play more on the bright side. Don't know if that would be an issue.

#55 ·
I haven't heard the ELAC, but I have heard MANY more good comments about them than bad...

Reactions: zieglj01
#62 ·
Nice room, but a horror show for both audio and video with all that glass. You might consider replacing the white shades with a light blocking and treble absorbing version to help with glare off the tv screen and high frequency fatigue.

I'm with the poster who suggested Elacs, or some other treble-restrained speaker for that room.

#63 ·
I JUST HAD MY SPEAKER PROBLEMS RESOLVED IN THE PAST 20 MINUTES

SVS HAVING MEMORIAL DAY SALE

I JUST BOUGHT PAIR OF SVS ULTRA's for $699 (includes shipping) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

I will still listen to all those other speakers though.....

#65 ·
Looks like I’m chiming in a bit too late. I currently have a pair of ELAC B6 speakers for sale on eBay so I can upgrade (and I mean seriously upgrade) to the CCB-8s. I’ve had the ELACs since August, and never could fall in love with them. They’re pretty good for the $279 price, but that’s a pretty low entry point. I just haven’t been all that impressed by them. I heard the CCB-8s at RMAF and fell in love with them. They are a very open, natural, and musical speaker that just simply sounded better than speakers much more expensive. I’ve been saving my pennies ever since RMAF to buy a pair – IMHO they are well worth the extra money.

The ELACs are – and the CCB-8s will be – in a secondary system in my office. My main system is much more expensive. I‘m expecting the CCB-8s to rise to a level of sound quality that isn’t all that far behind my main system, based on what I heard in Denver. I was impressed enough to take the initiative of being the middle-man in arranging for Dr. Hsu to send these speakers to a legit audio reviewer and hope the review will come out soon. I expect my opinions to be strongly supported in the review. The CCB-8s are legit! I’m looking forward to having a pair of my own in a couple of weeks.

#66 ·
Better late than never. Some good insight. Did you have a chance to hear the SVS Ultra' bookshelf?

#79 ·
I can't say anything specifically about the CCB-8 speakers, but it seems extremely difficult for a single driver to cover the full frequency range without some kind of enhancement for high frequencies. Something like a Whizzer Cone or a Coaxial/Concentric Tweeter Driver. Given how it looks, the CCB-8 seem next to impossible to achieve the specs it claims.

However, HSU Research is a reputable speaker manufacturer, and I can't see then scamming anyone. So I'm not saying they don't meet their specs, I simply saying I don't see how they can. For that reason, and despite glowing reviews, I would be hesitant to consider this speaker. Though those with experience with the speakers are certainly free to convince me otherwise.

Just an observation.

Steve/bluewizard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.