Outdoor party speakers for summer parties? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By b curry
  • 2 Post By Elihawk
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By markrubin
  • 1 Post By NickB123
  • 1 Post By Elihawk
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 2 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 24 Old 05-29-2017, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Outdoor party speakers for summer parties?

So this summer we are planning on throwing a couple of outdoor parties and we were wondering what speakers we can use? I am not keen on taking my expensive speakers outside - especially not with water and kids (shivers).

I found this post on the best party speakers http://www.outeraudio.com/best-party-speakers/ which seems pretty cool and the speakers look great.
They also seem to be outdoor and indoor speakers but I thought I would ask you guys first.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-29-2017, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Ian - are you looking for speakers to install outside on the side of the house? or speakers you physically drag outside or just set on a stand outside? The linked article has Bluetooth, PA speakers, etc. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

If outdoor mounted speakers

There is another thread on this topic called "Looking to purchase out door speakers Last Post"

About a year ago I purchased some for entertaining and liked Boston Acoustics Voyager 7s, B&W (only have on outdoor think its AM-1) and Def Tech 6500. Depends on budget. I almost went with Def tech but decided to up price. Personally, I think BA Voyager 7 have best bass (surprising amount for outdoor, imo) but B&W had best highs. BA form factor was significantly larger than others... no way of hiding them under the roof line.

If bluetooth
That list makes me think you are looking into Bluetooth options though... I can't offer any opinions there except everyone seems to like sonos for wireless systems. Imagine a lot of brands have this option now.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-29-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2991 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWilliams View Post
So this summer we are planning on throwing a couple of outdoor parties and we were wondering what speakers we can use? I am not keen on taking my expensive speakers outside - especially not with water and kids (shivers).

I found this post on the best party speakers http://www.outeraudio.com/best-party-speakers/ which seems pretty cool and the speakers look great.
They also seem to be outdoor and indoor speakers but I thought I would ask you guys first.

Thanks in advance
Of those the Sony looks the best.

CNET rated this one the best, (cheaper and smaller).

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLin...0-4d7488625d64

And this one has great reviews and is inexpensive.

https://gprojectgear.com/products/g-boom-black

But most of us here on AVS have outdoor speakers connected to our inside stereos; no portable bluetooth speaker can compare to the Boston Voyagers mentioned already, (I have some also), and these have great reviews on AVS and are on sale.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-oc2f2J...ir=FFCategory|[rank11999]Home Speakers&nvpair=FFSubcategory|[rank12400]Outdoor Speakers&nvpair=FFBrand|Definitive Technology

Geoff A. J., California

post #4 of 24 Old 05-29-2017, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Woohoo!

My garage system is bumping away and my wife hates the shaking dishes.

As always, that depends. If you want high output, decent sound quality and not spend 5 figures--the Behringer B215 mains and a PA subwoofer will do it for you. Team it up with a Crown XLS1500 and high pass it at 80Hz and go. The sub depends on whatever you want.

That would be my recommendation for AVS chaos mode--if you want an all-in-one sytem for less than $1,000 then you need to remove the chaos mode.

How large of an area will you attempt to provide sound and at what SPL level is required? How large can this thing be and how much do you want to spend? This can go from a boom box to enough sound to fill a nightclub so need a few details.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-30-2017, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
We take our Sonos 1s outdoors no problem. I don't leave them outside when we're done, but they're easy to plug and unplug throughout the yard and around the house. They've certainly been splashed with water a time or two.

Sony XBR75X940C, Marantz SR6010, Samsung UBDK8500, Definitive Technology CS9060HD, Definitive Technology BP9060ST
Digital codes for sale: The Martian (4k), La La Land (4k), Star Trek Beyond and Into Darkness, Now You See Me, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Rocky Mountain Express
post #6 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSabanith View Post
Ian - are you looking for speakers to install outside on the side of the house? or speakers you physically drag outside or just set on a stand outside? The linked article has Bluetooth, PA speakers, etc. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

If outdoor mounted speakers

There is another thread on this topic called "Looking to purchase out door speakers Last Post"

About a year ago I purchased some for entertaining and liked Boston Acoustics Voyager 7s, B&W (only have on outdoor think its AM-1) and Def Tech 6500. Depends on budget. I almost went with Def tech but decided to up price. Personally, I think BA Voyager 7 have best bass (surprising amount for outdoor, imo) but B&W had best highs. BA form factor was significantly larger than others... no way of hiding them under the roof line.

If bluetooth
That list makes me think you are looking into Bluetooth options though... I can't offer any opinions there except everyone seems to like sonos for wireless systems. Imagine a lot of brands have this option now.
Wow, your system sounds really interesting and pretty awesome.

I might look into that in the future but I am already investing in some new speakers for my turntable and so I was thinking about a simple portable Bluetooth speaker but not one of those small ones.

I basically want something that I can take out to the backyard or load in the car and take with us to the park or when we go camping - maybe even to the beach.

I don't want to be bothered with wires or complicated setups. My wife always manages to trip over every single thing - so I promised her I won't get anything with wires lol.

So yeah,l I am looking for a decent and powerful wireless Bluetooth speaker with good sound quality. In this case, the price isn't really a problem since I don't think these speakers get super expensive. But yeah, let's say under $500.

I will check out Sonos. Thanks
post #7 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Of those the Sony looks the best.

CNET rated this one the best, (cheaper and smaller).

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLin...0-4d7488625d64

And this one has great reviews and is inexpensive.

https://gprojectgear.com/products/g-boom-black

But most of us here on AVS have outdoor speakers connected to our inside stereos; no portable bluetooth speaker can compare to the Boston Voyagers mentioned already, (I have some also), and these have great reviews on AVS and are on sale.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-oc2f2J...ir=FFCategory|[rank11999]Home Speakers&nvpair=FFSubcategory|[rank12400]Outdoor Speakers&nvpair=FFBrand|Definitive Technology

That Bose one looks great and I have always enjoyed their speakers. It is a bit small but I will definitely check it out.

Thanks man.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The UE Boom series are great. You can get a MegaBoom or link together two Boom 2s if they aren't too far apart. That's what we take to the pool.

Here's a lot of them reviewed:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...tooth-speaker/

Sony XBR75X940C, Marantz SR6010, Samsung UBDK8500, Definitive Technology CS9060HD, Definitive Technology BP9060ST
Digital codes for sale: The Martian (4k), La La Land (4k), Star Trek Beyond and Into Darkness, Now You See Me, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Rocky Mountain Express
post #9 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
... I was thinking about a simple portable Bluetooth speaker but not one of those small ones.

I basically want something that I can take out to the backyard or load in the car and take with us to the park or when we go camping - maybe even to the beach.

I don't want to be bothered with wires or complicated setups. My wife always manages to trip over every single thing - so I promised her I won't get anything with wires lol.

So yeah,l I am looking for a decent and powerful wireless Bluetooth speaker with good sound quality. In this case, the price isn't really a problem since I don't think these speakers get super expensive. But yeah, let's say under $500. ...
Look at the Marshall Stanmore.

I use it outside and inside for iPod and Bluetooth duty. It sounds exceptional at low or high volume and it's well within your budget. It will fill the backyard with great sound. You can also plug in a CD player etc. besides the Bluetooth option.

It's built just like their excellent guitar amplifiers

If you want an even more portable unit, look at the Marshall Kilburn. It's basically the same unit (a little smaller) with the addition of a 20 hour rechargeable battery.

BestBuy, Amazon, etc. has them.
IanWilliams likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Yes, mounted to the side of my garage are two kef Ventura 6 speakers and I have a AV/Amp inside the garage- the speakers are top notch for outdoor speakers and can stay mounted year round, even in Iowa winter (although I take them down and store them inside the garage in winter).
yanks1 and IanWilliams like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #11 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Elihawk.. thanks for the post, it gave me an idea

At our SC vacation home we have a nice cool spot on side of garage wall near a nice live Oak tree for excellent shade. My wife just bought Villa type chairs & table to put there. I have 2 VG outdoor Polk speakers stored for past 4-5 years that we used outside by our pool in our primary house in NJ for 7-8 years. I could use them there, I'll recycle one of my older AVRs and put in garage;

I assume in SC with hot summers I'd have to be careful to leave it there all the time, I would think humidity in garage could harm the AVR. What do you do with ur garage receiver in summer???

thanks

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050 w/Emotiva XPA-2 (Gen 3)
Revel F206 fronts & M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & RSL C34e in-ceilings
Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polks LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Sub10
post #12 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That Bose one looks great and I have always enjoyed their speakers. It is a bit small but I will definitely check it out.

Thanks man.
Bose gets a lot of hate here but they do make some decent products and their sound can be satisfying for non critical music applications.
IanWilliams likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #13 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post

At our SC vacation home we have a nice cool spot on side of garage wall near a nice live Oak tree for excellent shade. My wife just bought Villa type chairs & table to put there. I have 2 VG outdoor Polk speakers stored for past 4-5 years that we used outside by our pool in our primary house in NJ for 7-8 years. I could use them there, I'll recycle one of my older AVRs and put in garage;

I assume in SC with hot summers I'd have to be careful to leave it there all the time, I would think humidity in garage could harm the AVR. What do you do with ur garage receiver in summer???

thanks
I lived in Miami for years decades ago and my receiver sat in our living room without a/c with zero issues.

Obviously it was covered and not exposed to rain though.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Outdoor party speakers for summer parties?

Thanks; but you lived in Miami with no A/C and have lived to talk about it decades later?? Wowza .

I am talking same; doesn't rain in our garage yet; house is only 3 yrs old

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050 w/Emotiva XPA-2 (Gen 3)
Revel F206 fronts & M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & RSL C34e in-ceilings
Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polks LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Sub10
post #15 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 2569
Best outdoor speakers I have used for years: Near (Bogen) A8/ LB8
IanWilliams likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #16 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I lived in Miami for years decades ago and my receiver sat in our living room without a/c with zero issues.

Obviously it was covered and not exposed to rain though.
I will be 3/4 burying 2 TIC GS3's by my pool this evening. I ran wires to my Denon AVR over the weekend. I'm really excited to have totally weather proof speakers that can stay outside even during a NY winter. I like the simplicity of it just being there whenever I want to turn them on rather then taking them in or out and connecting to anything.
yanks1 likes this.
post #17 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:

thanks
We have hot humid summers in Iowa as well and I have never moved the older receiver- it is a older Pyle pro crap, so if I have to replace it, I will!
yanks1 likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #18 of 24 Old 05-31-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks; but you lived in Miami with no A/C and have lived to talk about it decades later?? Wowza .

I am talking same; doesn't rain in our garage yet; house is only 3 yrs old
I was young!

Thankfully we did have an a/c unit in the bedroom.
yanks1 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #19 of 24 Old 06-01-2017, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Look at the Marshall Stanmore.

I use it outside and inside for iPod and Bluetooth duty. It sounds exceptional at low or high volume and it's well within your budget. It will fill the backyard with great sound. You can also plug in a CD player etc. besides the Bluetooth option.

It's built just like their excellent guitar amplifiers

If you want an even more portable unit, look at the Marshall Kilburn. It's basically the same unit (a little smaller) with the addition of a 20 hour rechargeable battery.

BestBuy, Amazon, etc. has them.

Man, I didn't even know Marshall made speakers. It looks great though and I love their amps so I will definitely check it out.

Thanks I looks pretty much perfect
post #20 of 24 Old 06-02-2017, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Yes, I would agree, it's pretty much perfect for a portable speaker. It has a ported cabinet for low frequency extension as well as both bass and treble controls. They are stereo units with a 5 1/4" duel voice coil mid/woofer and two 3/4" dome tweeters.

All though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, you can also plug an electric guitar in it.

They also make the Woburn which is about double the size of the Stanmore unit. It adds an optical input, a second 5 1/4", speaker, two 1" dome tweeters, and a little more amplifier power. The MSRP of the Woburn is a little over your budget.

post #21 of 24 Old 06-02-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Man, I didn't even know Marshall made speakers. It looks great though and I love their amps so I will definitely check it out.

Thanks I looks pretty much perfect
And best of all you can buy a matching Marshall.......................................... ................................refrigerator!

Available at The Guitar Center.

markrubin and IanWilliams like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #22 of 24 Old Today, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And best of all you can buy a matching Marshall.......................................... ................................refrigerator!

Available at The Guitar Center.

Lol That is amazing
post #23 of 24 Old Today, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Don't forget the bass!

post #24 of 24 Old Today, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member