running svs prime set up, what should be my future upgrade suggestions? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By JonfromCB
  • 2 Post By burton14e7

post #1 of 22 Old 06-07-2017, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 58
running svs prime set up, what should be my future upgrade suggestions?

Im currently running a full svs prime set up, which consist of a pair of svs prime towers, an svs prime center, 4 svs prime satelites handling surrounds and atmos, and 1 svs pb2000 sub, with a denon avr 910 receiver. Nothing wrong with my system she sounds great, but i recently upgraded my projector to a Sony hw45es, and now looking at upgrading my receiver to using a more powerful seperate amp with a receiver with premium outs. what should be my future speaker upgrade be? My only requirements, has to be a similar tower, center, satellites, sub set up, all speakers from one brand, I want to go bigger with sub, 15" or maybe 18".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-07-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
Im currently running a full svs prime set up, which consist of a pair of svs prime towers, an svs prime center, 4 svs prime satelites handling surrounds and atmos, and 1 svs pb2000 sub, with a denon avr 910 receiver. Nothing wrong with my system she sounds great, but i recently upgraded my projector to a Sony hw45es, and now looking at upgrading my receiver to using a more powerful seperate amp with a receiver with premium outs. what should be my future speaker upgrade be? My only requirements, has to be a similar tower, center, satellites, sub set up, all speakers from one brand, I want to go bigger with sub, 15" or maybe 18".

Are you saying you want match the entire system from the same brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 22 Old 06-07-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
If budget allows, I'd look at PSA for both the speakers and sub.
sigpig likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)

post #4 of 22 Old 06-08-2017, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 714
When we look at upgrades we tend to look at what I call shiny objects and often not what is going to make the biggest difference in performance. I'm not sure if you your room has any acoustical treatments but if it doesn't then start there. Equipment is cool but this will make a bigger difference in sound. For subs, two is better than one to get better bass for every seat. I know the person that did this demo at a recent GTG and I would've attended but it was my son's H.S. graduation so definitely couldn't make it. Anyway, I think post 24 sum sit up but everyone seemed shocked at the difference. The person doing the demo told me that he purposely picked what seemed to be the least favorite speaker of the ones they were comparing to use for the demo to show how much of a difference it makes. And if you do get acoustic treatments talk to someone about your situation, the advice often given about absorption at first reflection points is often not the best solution. There are many different types of acoustic panels and using the right type in the right location is what makes the difference.

6/3/17 Northeast Audio GTG & Beer Tasting-w/JTR, DIYSG, Next Level Acoustics, Quest
post #5 of 22 Old 06-08-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Quote:
Get a receiver with MultiEQ X32 which equalizes subs and add another PB2000 or sell it and get a couple of HSUs unless you have a massive room where looking at PSA for subs might make sense.

Not sure you need an outboard amp with those 87db speakers to be honest.

A 125watt AVR like the Denon 4300 should be more than enough.
JonfromCB likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 22 Old 06-08-2017, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Get a receiver with MultiEQ X32 which equalizes subs and add another PB2000 or sell it and get a couple of HSUs unless you have a massive room where looking at PSA for subs might make sense.

Not sure you need an outboard amp with those 87db speakers to be honest.

A 125watt AVR like the Denon 4300 should be more than enough.
Why would you say this about an out board amp, isn't more power always wanted especially when the svs speakers are not super sensitive.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-08-2017, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
Quote:
Why would you say this about an out board amp, isn't more power always wanted especially when the svs speakers are not super sensitive.
More power isn't needed unless your system doesn't get as loud as you want it to.

My avr has 40 watts/channel and I can't play at max volume in my room.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-08-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
JBL still has the Studio 580 and 590 towers at 50% off including free shipping plus free return shipping (call them to confirm that the free return shipping does apply to towers not just bookshelves), and either of them would make full use of your external amp and be a significant upgrade from your Primes without paying Ultra or PSA prices.

http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #9 of 22 Old 06-10-2017, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm with gajCA. My recommended route would be an AVR with Audyssey HT in the 120-150 wpc range. You already have capable HT speakers and the AVR with more power and a higher damping factor will do a much better job of speaker control with less distortion to the goofy resistance in those Primes resulting in better sound from them....(I've owned Primes) The HT will do a good job of taming and smoothing those Prime tweeters as well...and HT gives you the option of having a "pro" take a lot more room measurements and provide you a couple of much better eq curves than it's do-it-yourself "auto EQ" program without having to buy additional equipment. IMHO way too many Audyssey HT owners don't take advantage of this feature and have no idea they can take their system to the next level using this option.

My second recommendation would be adding a second PB2000 regardless of what else you're planning. Running a second sub is in my opinion the most UNDERRATED upgrade known to man!
More headroom, less localization and smoother bass response everywhere in the listening room are pretty much assured....you'll smile and wonder what you were thinking and why you didn't do it sooner.

You have very capable HT speakers and if these changes don't do it for you, it's probably because you listen to more music than HT content and a higher level audiophile music oriented LCR speakers might be your next move.
gajCA likes this.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 06-10-2017 at 08:59 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-10-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 849
im not a big amp power fan for most speakers, but you need to buy with an expectation of how loud/clean they play. what do you want? shoot i can name some 10 earbuds that sound great

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #11 of 22 Old 06-10-2017, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I would say one sub is plenty, depending on the size of your room.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-11-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
im not a big amp power fan for most speakers, but you need to buy with an expectation of how loud/clean they play. what do you want? shoot i can name some 10 earbuds that sound great

lol, wow, are you just being snarky or do you know of a set of earbuds and a power source for them that will accurately reproduce placement and movement of an at least 5 channel surround source? It would be nice to precisely control 30-60 square inches of speaker mass in a 2000cf room achieving 75db sound levels with a 110db signal to noise ratio using only .6Ma of power that it takes to power a 2 channel 2 dimensional ear bud wouldn't it?. Are you serious or trolling?

Last edited by JonfromCB; 06-11-2017 at 08:16 AM.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-11-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_tillerson View Post
I would say one sub is plenty, depending on the size of your room.
I agree, especially if you can put it near the front three.

In my secondary room where I cannot do that I have the two little subs on either end of the couch, (terrible placement I know but whaddyagonnado), and it sounds terrific.

Zero localization.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 22 Old 06-11-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
lol, wow, are you just being snarky or do you know of a set of earbuds and a power source for them that will accurately reproduce placement and movement of an at least 5 channel surround source? It would be nice to precisely control 30-60 square inches of speaker mass in a 2000cf room achieving 75db sound levels with a 110db signal to noise ratio using only .6Ma of power that it takes to power a 2 channel 2 dimensional ear bud wouldn't it?. Are you serious or trolling?
look on amazon and you will see dozens of chinese designed earbuds that have copied some very, very expensive ones. snarky, yea, I suppose but not aimed at anyone.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #15 of 22 Old 06-11-2017, 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=torii;53570785]look on amazon and you will see dozens of chinese designed earbuds that have copied some very, very expensive ones. snarky, yea, I suppose but not aimed at anyone.[/QUOTE

Your admission is admirable, but the larger point is nothing was constructive for david8613's request for upgrade suggestions. The only thing in this thread funnier than a totally unrelated one person conversation about ear-buds is jake's obvious lack of understanding of standing waves and how 8 foot low frequency sound waves interact with room boundries and why 2 subs always provide smoother low frequency response to infinitely more locations in a given room than 1 sub can. Good luck David8613, I hope I offered you some constructive feedback.
post #16 of 22 Old 06-14-2017, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you, info. Was great and helpful. I'm planning on getting second pb 2000, and also upgrading receiver. Now I am currently running a denon avr s910, what denon or Marantz receiver will be significant upgrade, don't want to skimp this time.
post #17 of 22 Old 06-15-2017, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Thank you, info. Was great and helpful. I'm planning on getting second pb 2000, and also upgrading receiver. Now I am currently running a denon avr s910, what denon or Marantz receiver will be significant upgrade, don't want to skimp this time.
Good that you are planning on getting a second sub, that IMO is the biggest upgrade other than changing your entire speaker setup.

As for your receiver upgrade, I don't know what's your budget but I'd personally aim for a Marantz SR6011 or Denon 4300h, whichever is cheaper. The Yamaha RXA2060 is also another good alternative although that won't do 11 channels processing if you are having plans for a 7.2.4 setup in the future.

One thing about your Prime setup though, if you can... upgrade the Prime center for the Ultra center too. I went from a Prime center to the Ultra center and stuck with the Prime bookshelfs as the L/R for many months and it was indeed a worthwhile upgrade.
post #18 of 22 Old 06-15-2017, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am pretty happy with the prime center, but I am sure the ultra sounds wonderful, If I did that I know would go crazy and get everything ultra.

my only requirements for the receiver is it must have atmos. I am currently running 5.1.2 and would like to be 5.2.4 for the future. I would also like to have audyssey xt, to eq 2 subs separately. oh and also preouts incase I want a separate amp. I have always used denon but I am curious about Marantz.
post #19 of 22 Old 06-15-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am pretty happy with the prime center, but I am sure the ultra sounds wonderful, If I did that I know would go crazy and get everything ultra.

my only requirements for the receiver is it must have atmos. I am currently running 5.1.2 and would like to be 5.2.4 for the future. I would also like to have audyssey xt, to eq 2 subs separately. oh and also preouts incase I want a separate amp. I have always used denon but I am curious about Marantz.
Marantz to Denon is what Lexus is to Toyota or Acura is to Honda.

Geoff A. J., California
post #20 of 22 Old 06-18-2017, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So which model marantz is a good start off point to look at?
post #21 of 22 Old 06-19-2017, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
So which model marantz is a good start off point to look at?
The SR6011 is a good start off point, since you want 5.2.4 in the future and Audyssey XT32. The SR6011 can also expand to 7.2.4 with an additional 2 channel external amp. The Denon 4300h is near carbon copy model of the SR6011, so choose which ever ends up cheaper.
post #22 of 22 Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just my personal opinion since it's what I'll be going to after my current SVS setup, I have the 5.1 system that was the precursor to the prime series. They were the STS series. I'll be getting an Anthem MRX720 and JTR speakers for the theater, coupled with an Emotiva to power the Atmos speakers. For the family room I'll be getting the Anthem MRX 520 with Revel speakers.
CruelInventions and sigpig like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page