• 1 Post By JonfromCB
  • 1 Post By JonfromCB

post #1 of 13 Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SVS Ultra Center

For those who owns this center speaker do you set it to small or large on your receiver? My receiver set it to "Large" after calibration. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-09-2017, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I think if you have a sub you want to set it to small with like an 80Hz crossover.
darthray likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-09-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDD337 View Post
For those who owns this center speaker do you set it to small or large on your receiver? My receiver set it to "Large" after calibration. Thanks.
If you have a subwoofer(s), set all speakers to small.
If you don't have a subwoofer, leave them to large for now, get a subwoofer ASAP, then set them to small.
darthray and godfatherip like this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-09-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would agree that you don't need the center to play full range but I like to set mine at 60hz as opposed to thx recommended 80hz. It's more than capable of playing that low which is probably why your receiver set it to large.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Most Auto calibration system would set any speakers to Large, if they are able to reach 60Hz during calibration

Most of mime can play comfortably at 40-60 Hz.
But since I got a couple of very good subs, they are all set at 80Hz.
Very Happy with the results

Forget the end result, and set them to small would be my advice.
If you have no sub at the moment, play with 60-80Hz, and go what sound Best to You

Ray
JonfromCB likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-09-2017, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I agree with darthray that most auto eq's will select "large" for any speaker that measures at 60hz.
Sounds like you've got it figured out...run your eq and then manually set them back to small and select your cutoff frequency. 80 or 90 hz works best for most rooms and I recommend running the same cutoff for LCR for the sake of aural continuity from your front stage speakers if you are running a sub(s). Of course you wouldn't do that if you are running larger LR that are producing all of your low end.

For what it's worth, I measured my Ultra's at below 40 hz in my HT which is a full 5hz below SVS specs due to room gain. Regardless, I went back and forth between 80 and 90hz cutoffs before eventually choosing 80hz as most preferable in my HT room using two SVS subs for the low end.
darthray likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-10-2017, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
I agree with darthray that most auto eq's will select "large" for any speaker that measures at 60hz.
Sounds like you've got it figured out...run your eq and then manually set them back to small and select your cutoff frequency. 80 or 90 hz works best for most rooms and I recommend running the same cutoff for LCR for the sake of aural continuity from your front stage speakers if you are running a sub(s). Of course you wouldn't do that if you are running larger LR that are producing all of your low end.

For what it's worth, I measured my Ultra's at below 40 hz in my HT which is a full 5hz below SVS specs due to room gain. Regardless, I went back and forth between 80 and 90hz cutoffs before eventually choosing 80hz as most preferable in my HT room using two SVS subs for the low end.

I did the same, played with 60-80Hz.
Aperion suggested 80, but many members with the same speakers suggested 60.
After many movies and some music, I settle on 80.
Mainly because, when played very loud
They sound much better without any sign of any stress

Ray
post #8 of 13 Old 06-10-2017, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I did the same, played with 60-80Hz.
Aperion suggested 80, but many members with the same speakers suggested 60.
After many movies and some music, I settle on 80.
Mainly because, when played very loud
They sound much better without any sign of any stress

Ray

Sounds like you got it and understand the distortion that comes into play with setting cutoff too low. Some will set a lower cutoff as you point out as a way to boost low mid output which can work if the speakers can cleanly get down another 10-15 hz below the selected cutoff.
darthray likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-11-2017, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatherip View Post
I think if you have a sub you want to set it to small with like an 80Hz crossover.
Thanks.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-11-2017, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
If you have a subwoofer(s), set all speakers to small.
If you don't have a subwoofer, leave them to large for now, get a subwoofer ASAP, then set them to small.
I have a sub. I set the center to small and my main LR are large since I also use it for 2 channel for music. Thanks.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-11-2017, 08:52 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I like this straight up info. I have always struggled with which sounds better-using Audyssey. I'm resetting up my system after auguring a new display. So Im about to re-calibrate. Now all all speaker setting to large[including in the Oppo203]. Then returning to small.
dB
post #12 of 13 Old 06-11-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like you got it and understand the distortion that comes into play with setting cutoff too low. Some will set a lower cutoff as you point out as a way to boost low mid output which can work if the speakers can cleanly get down another 10-15 hz below the selected cutoff.

Exactly

Since I knew a crossover is not a brick wall, and some frequencies below the cutting point, would seep through.
I did some experiment my self, since some were happy with the 60 Hz setting.
80 work better for me, and also with my two very capable sub's, and only one was needed for my room (SVS PB13 Ultra).
After the calibration, I set all speakers to small and 80z

For the subs setting, I settle on 20Hz.
Lots of chest thumping, and below that, too much rattling in the room
Since my set-up is on carpet over concrete floor, I prefer to rely on some Butt kickers for the lower frequencies

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 06-11-2017 at 05:41 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Small 60 Hz works best for the Ultra Center.

Typically if the AVR sees response below 40 Hz, it will set that channel to Large.

As stated above the high pass filter imposed on the speaker channel isn't a brick wall - it's almost always 12 dB/octave (unless specifically adjustable in the menu - which is rare).

So looking strictly at the filter curve, a 60 Hz crossover would be -12 dB at 30 Hz (an octave deeper). So the crossover should always be set above the rated deep extension of the speaker.

Optimally we like to see the speaker track the high pass filter for at least 1/3 to 1/2 octave before rolling off itself. So a 60 Hz crossover is great for a big center rated to say 45 Hz.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers