Affordable Accuracy Monitors BR-1 vs NHT Superone 2.1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1 of 50 Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Affordable Accuracy Monitors BR-1 vs NHT Superone 2.1

Im looking at a 2.0 setup and not planning on a sub because of my odd shaped room i dont have a good place for one and having a lack of bass scares me a bit. These will be used for music only and im probably going to be driving them off of a 50-55 wpc stereo amp (smsl sa-50, audiosource amp100vs). The music im buying these for is mostly pop, opera, classic rock, country and older music. I really want something that does female vocals good since im a fan of jackie evancho i want to hear her hit the notes. Which speaker would be better for this and would 50-55 wpc be enough to drive them in a average size bedroom.
Both speakers:
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/106...r-series#specs
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Some music im wanting these for

Last edited by Gr33nL34f; Yesterday at 06:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old Yesterday, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Without hesitation, I suggest the Chane A1.4. The XBL2 drivers are nothing short of amazing for bass. And the planar (leaf) tweeters will bring about your singers voice like no other can.

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/lou...dspeakers/A1.4

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #3 of 50 Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Without hesitation, I suggest the Chane A1.4. The XBL2 drivers are nothing short of amazing for bass. And the planar (leaf) tweeters will bring about your singers voice like no other can.

interesting speaker but there doesnt seem to be much reviews on them. i dont need a ton of bass i just want good decent accurate bass.

post #4 of 50 Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nL34f View Post
interesting speaker but there doesnt seem to be much reviews on them. i dont need a ton of bass i just want good decent accurate bass.
You want the Chanes then.
AudioNewGuy likes this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #5 of 50 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 757
If you want respectable bass extension, consider speakers with 6.5" drivers.
Wharfedale diamond 225
Kef Q300
The above referenced chane's
Emotiva Airmotiv B1

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #6 of 50 Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
If you want respectable bass extension, consider speakers with 6.5" drivers.
Wharfedale diamond 225
Kef Q300
The above referenced chane's
Emotiva Airmotiv B1
i want bass but the vocals are more important to me. also remember im only going to be using a cheap 50 wpc amp. im on a pretty tight budget $300 is the most i can do on speakers.
post #7 of 50 Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i want bass but the vocals are more important to me. also remember im only going to be using a cheap 50 wpc amp. im on a pretty tight budget $300 is the most i can do on speakers.
For $300 with decent bass, the Airmotiv B1 would be pretty decent. The make pretty decent amps and subs as well.
https://emotiva.com/products/speakers/airmotiv-b1

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #8 of 50 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
For $300 with decent bass, the Airmotiv B1 would be pretty decent. The make pretty decent amps and subs as well.
https://emotiva.com/products/speakers/airmotiv-b1
the b1's look nice. i wonder if 50wpc will drive them. i dont even have an amp yet i was thinking about just buying a lepy 2020 to hold me over till i get a decent one.

Last edited by Gr33nL34f; Yesterday at 08:51 AM.
post #9 of 50 Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3013 Post(s)
Liked: 2092
Quote:
If you can provide 12-18" of rear clearance, the Wharfedale 10.1 is going for a song right now:
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...ers-black-demo
Google the reviews.

If you prefer a more neutral presentation, the AA monitors would be a solid choice.
The Wharfedale 220s are slightly warm and being downported not rearported, would require very little rear clearance.
The 10.1 are a little bit warmer with a little bit more mid-bass.

Another good speaker to consider in this price range would be the Q Acoustics 3020, but it doesn't have the mid-bass of the AAs or the Wharfedales.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 50 Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 1153
Quote:
Im looking at a 2.0 setup and not planning on a sub because of my odd shaped room i dont have a good place for one and having a lack of bass scares me a bit. These will be used for music only and im probably going to be driving them off of a 50-55 wpc stereo amp (smsl sa-50, audiosource amp100vs). The music im buying these for is mostly pop, opera, classic rock, country and older music. I really want something that does female vocals good since im a fan of jackie evancho i want to hear her hit the notes. Which speaker would be better for this and would 50-55 wpc be enough to drive them in a average size bedroom.
Both speakers:
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/106...r-series#specs
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
Both can work -- the AA and NHT can handle your music just fine/nicely -- The AA will have more bass and should be a little more linear in the midrange. You will be hit with many options -- however your 2 choices are good and will hold their own and handle your music preference and work with your amp.

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Digital Phase AP-.5 > Harman Kardon Ten > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #11 of 50 Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the b1's look nice. i wonder if 50wpc will drive them. i dont even have an amp yet i was thinking about just buying a lepy 2020 to hold me over till i get a decent one.
A 50wpc amp will easily drive any speaker mentioned in this thread. A lepy would drive your speakers as long as you don't crank the volume too much. A sub, even a small inexpensive one would really go a long way and open up some additional options for speaker selection.

post #12 of 50 Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If you can provide 12-18" of rear clearance, the Wharfedale 10.1 is going for a song right now:
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...ers-black-demo
Google the reviews.

If you prefer a more neutral presentation, the AA monitors would be a solid choice.
The Wharfedale 220s are slightly warm and being downported not rearported, would require very little rear clearance.
The 10.1 are a little bit warmer with a little bit more mid-bass.

Another good speaker to consider in this price range would be the Q Acoustics 3020, but it doesn't have the mid-bass of the AAs or the Wharfedales.
the wharfedales are really nice but they're demo units i have a hard time trusting used things especially for more than half my budget. lol
post #13 of 50 Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3106 Post(s)
Liked: 1898
Quote:
Definitely the AA Monitors as the NHTs don't have any bass extension to speak of while the AAs do.

You aren't going to do better for the money IMHO.
BufordTJustice and jomartz like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 50 Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the wharfedales are really nice but they're demo units i have a hard time trusting used things especially for more than half my budget. lol
I wouldn't be too concerned with that. They come with full warranty which wouldn't be the case if they were "b" stock. Those are fantastic speakers and you'd be hard pressed to find something better at that price. You can always return them, but I suspect they're in great condition.

post #15 of 50 Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They're most likely not---I bought a pair of 10.1 "demo" from MD about 2 years ago for $250 and I would swear they were brand new: the packaging was absolutely pristine, the speakers didn't have a single blemish or scratch, and they still needed a full 20-30 hours of break-in.

In this industry, due to contractual stipulations with the manufacturers a lot of resellers (and internet-direct manufacturers) will present brand new merchandise as "b-stock," "refurbished," or "demo" whenever they need to clear out excess inventory. It's how they maintain the brand's image and perceived market value.
BufordTJustice and SeanBWI like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #16 of 50 Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

btw, here are the "non-demo" 10.1 if you want to pay an extra $60...it's your money after all:
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...lf-speakers-pr

post #17 of 50 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
btw, here are the "non-demo" 10.1 if you want to pay an extra $60...it's your money after all:
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...lf-speakers-pr
you're probably right and sorry i wasnt trying to laugh off your suggestion i just type the "lol" alot out of habit. im really considering the wharfedale for $190 and it having free shipping will leave me some cash for a better amp.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #18 of 50 Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post

I just tested a bunch of speakers--

Squirrel has his say....he knows his crap

But you want BASS= JBL 230s $299 best I tested, then HTD Level 3s, Beautiful speakers with bass, but JBL gets lower

And you want Female vocals?= You rarely can have great bass and superior female vocals- But then like Squirrel said- Chane's 1.4, but even better Chane's 2.4 best for female vocals, no doubt in my mind with A2.4s,
They are the only one's I can recommed for female voices--heads and shoulder above rest for simply female voices

So do you want more bass or speakers that hit highs and female voices better ...I laid out a lil game plan
post #19 of 50 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Im looking at a 2.0 setup and not planning on a sub because of my odd shaped room i dont have a good place for one and having a lack of bass scares me a bit. These will be used for music only and im probably going to be driving them off of a 50-55 wpc stereo amp (smsl sa-50, audiosource amp100vs).
Bass, mids, female voices and new in stock - Cambridge SX-50
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ut-pair/1.html

Yamaha receiver
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

This meets your budget
mpk1970 likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #20 of 50 Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

why is this so hard lol so many speakers! i think im set on the diamond 10.1
post #21 of 50 Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Enjoy
Squirrel! and Lp85253 like this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #22 of 50 Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you're located near a larger city, Craigslist might have some good deals for you on the amp. I picked up a Marantz SR5400 for a friend of mine a few months ago for just $100, quality power for a fraction of new retail pricing. Sometimes you can find vintage NAD receivers in that ballpark too.
zieglj01 likes this.

post #23 of 50 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you're located near a larger city, Craigslist might have some good deals for you on the amp. I picked up a Marantz SR5400 for a friend of mine a few months ago for just $100, quality power for a fraction of new retail pricing. Sometimes you can find vintage NAD receivers in that ballpark too.
i dont know anything about what receivers i should be looking for im pretty new to the speaker world. what are some good brands or models that i should watch out for.
post #24 of 50 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

Quote:
i dont know anything about what receivers i should be looking for im pretty new to the speaker world. what are some good brands or models that i should watch out for.
For $99 this Yamaha is still a good option

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #25 of 50 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
For $99 this Yamaha is still a good option
would that yamaha be better than the onkyo 8020?
post #26 of 50 Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Neither is a loser -- I tend to prefer the Onkyo line

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #27 of 50 Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Marantz, NAD, Rotel, Parasound, Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Sony ES, Denon, Yamaha, Integra...it's just the random luck of the draw as to what's available when, in your geographical area. Which city are you in or close to?

post #28 of 50 Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not really, but this one would has more power which would give you more head room and is still cheaper than the Onkyo.

post #29 of 50 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you can go up to $160 shipped, I'd consider this Integra for its future expandability:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r/1.html#!more
BufordTJustice likes this.

post #30 of 50 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

Quote:
If you can go up to $160 shipped, I'd consider this Integra for its future expandability:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r/1.html#!more
Bingo!
BufordTJustice likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers