The 9 Budget Speaker Shootout-- Only 1 Winner - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1037Likes

post #1 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 550
The 9 Budget Speaker Shootout-- Only 1 Winner

This is a follow up to my previous thread
Live Updates- 7 speaker brand challenge

COMPETITORS

Chane’s 2.4
SVS Ultra
JBL 230
Chane’s 1.4
QA 3020
HTD Level 3
Jamo C93
RBH R5Bi
Elac B6

THE WINNER IS:

CHANE’S A2.4
(LRC)

Coming into this competition, I had little experience what to listen for or even how to properly test/audition. Over 2 weeks, not only did my ears adapt, I became somewhat of a Holiday Inn expert on HOW to listen & WHAT to listen for. I was able to differentiate mids to highs to lows, clarity, definition to full stage, imaging and all this lingo that was new to me.

I bought the Chane’s actually to fill my speaker challenge with a speaker that not a lot of people knew about. I don’t even know why I bought them other than I saw their name pop up on the AVSforum. I never heard of Chane’s prior to joining the forum. A few people mentioned them, but I did not think this “unknown” brand would do very well. I had absolutely no excitement waiting for these speakers to arrive. However, I was super excited for the RBH’s, SVS Ultra’s and HTD’s checking my shipment arrival daily. I was really excited for the HSU VTF2 MK5 subs when they came. I called them Monsters in a Box. Big sons of guns.
I was also in denial, a deep dark denial over the Chane’s. I refused to accept they were this good. Despite having the A1.4s for 2 weeks and A2.4s for 1 week, I still went on a manhunt to find the perfect speaker when all along the perfect speaker was right under my nose, or was it? So what did I do? On June 9th bought a pair of Martin Logans Motion X35 to once again refute what I’m hearing. Keep in mind, I purchased all 8 different speaker brands from basically May 24-27. But this quest for the perfect speaker was also, in part, fueled by the Chane’s and their lackluster performance right out of the box.

Example:
On June 14th, I watched Star Wars Rogue One, would watch 30 mins of the movie, then rewind to same spot where I started, then switch speakers. I switched between Ultra’s, JBL 230s and Chane’s A2.4. Ultra’s were great, JBL’s even better, and The Chane’s….well, uninspiring to say the least. As a matter of fact, Jon Lane will attest to this….I wrote Jon Lane an email saying “man you good dude, great customer service, but your speakers not cutting it…JBL’s real deal, thanks for all your help but the A2.4’s just don’t sound good, low bass, uninspiring, like they don’t even want to be in my house” Jon would email me back in complete amazement, but I knew what I was hearing. My ears are telling me JBL’s or Ultra’s. I told him in response by email, “I’m still keeping the A1.4s for the rear, and 1 A2.4 for the center.” This was on 6/14.
I said to myself, let me again test the Chane’s A2.4 vs. Ultra’s vs. JBL 230s but the real only reason why at this point, was to put a different sound between the JBL 230’s and Ultra’s which to me sound practically identical. Mentally, I had checked out of the Chane’s A2.4 for my LR speakers. The A2.4 as a center is fabulous in HT.
Then on 6/15, I watched Rogue One again starting at a midway point for 30 mins. First, started with the JBL’s. Same great performance in HT. Next the speaker that I gave up on , Chane’s A2.4. WTF is going on?? I’m hearing booms, thumps, and liveliness I didn’t hear yesterday?? I started checking everything..receiver, Subs, see if something was turned on, raised higher, this amazed me. Then on 6/16 I went back and played some music early in the morning starting at 8 a.m. that I had researched on this forum as being good to play to identify a good speaker, some highs, funky sounds, instruments, etc..
Finally, I had an Epiphany!! Nirvana struck!!!
FrankenChane’s rose from its death bed. I was stunned how could a speaker that sounded blah, meh, ok, out of nowhere sound like an entirely different speaker? I played these songs, I saw incredible imaging, great soundstage, seeing violin players in the right corner, bass in the left, singer in center, and backup singers on the left and right of main singer on the 3D “stage”.
What made the difference? Well, this Big Foot, Lochness Monster theory of a “break in period” I guess??? When I heard this, before buying the speakers, I thought Jon Lane, the guy behind the scenes at Chane’s, was full crap. I laughed at this. People on the AVS forum some say break in needed, some say don’t believe it. Pure marketing strategy so you get use to the sound is what I thought. I am telling you right now, this Bermuda Triangle “break in” is absolutely 100% real !!! There is no other explanation for a speaker sounding meh, ok to pretty dam awesome one day to next.
Finally, after all was said and done, I needed to surrender.

What made the A2.4s so special?

Simple.

The clarity, detail, highs and mid achieving perfection won me over. The bass isn’t bad either, imaging is excellent and the soundstage is very good, They remain smooth, balanced, and never change their colors with higher volumes, the only speaker of the group that achieved this. (HTD to a certain degree also) Give them power, as much power as you possibly can they don’t hiccup. Give them volume, knob turning, speaking blowing volume, and they don’t skip a beat. I felt like I was wearing a Virtual Reality gear but focused on music, great imaging.
They are relaxed, neutral, and so calm. Exact opposite of Ultra’s & JBL 230’s with their in your face, adderal taking, line sniffing cocaine attitude, of lets sprint for this marathon attitude.
I will speak more about Ultra’s in a minute so let’s not take away from the Chane’s A2.4s.
Listening to music was such a joy, seemed like a lost art, comparable to old time photos we see during Babe Ruth’s baseball years when everybody wore suits/ties to games.
Is it the perfect speaker? No not at all, it definitely tries to achieve perfection, but it is the perfect speaker for ME!!
What didn’t I like? They played possum…it took two weeks to break the A2.4s in and I haven’t even started on the A1.4s , with only about 3 hrs put in to them.
Technology- Two things may set this speaker apart. First, the plantar, “leaf” tweeter, in both the A2.4 and A1.4 is a very well respected. 2 different owners of speaker companies had mentioned to me they believed the tweeter in Chane’s can hit highs that their speakers can’t, all because of this tweeter. Pretty honest admission. Secondly, Jon talks about this split gap woofer with XBL2 motor supposing reduces distortion and improves sensitivity, I guess? I looked on the website but a novice like me he coulda wrote it in Chinese and make more sense to me…Who the heck knows? I will say I have never faced distortion the only speaker of the group. So maybe this does work. Yes, the only speaker I’ve never ever heard even a trace of distortion!
What about the other speakers??
I won’t go into tremendous detail on each speaker because other users in the AVS forum over several months have done their own evaluation with more technical details than what I can provide.

Let’s briefly review some of the speakers but first let me put in order of the speakers on how I would rate them:

Chane’s 2.4 (9.0)
SVS Ultra (8.4)
JBL 230 (8.2)
Chane’s 1.4 ( 7.8) note: maybe higher score warranted; haven’t reached
Break in period yet with A1.4s

QA 3020 (7.5) note: kept pair for son’s room
HTD Level 3 (7.4)
Jamo C93 (7.0)
RBH R5Bi (6.8) note: kept one for center in son’s room
Elac B6 (5.0)

Best for Highs/Mids- Chane’s A2.4,
Best for Low’s- JBL 230s, then Ultra’s, HTD Level 3s
Best Speaker that did Everything Good- Chane’s A2.4, QA 3020, Jamo C93, RBH
Best Speaker For Cranking the Volume – Chane’s A2.4, HTD
Best Value Speaker- I think every single speaker offers great value with the exception of the Ultra’s
Best Speaker for Imaging- Chane’s A2.4, 1.4, QA 3020,
Most Underrated Speakers: Chane’s, QA 3020, Jamo C93,
Best Gaming: JBL, QA 3020, HTD Level 3, Ultra’s
Best HT : JBL, Chane’s, SVS, HTD, Jamo, QA
Best for 2.0: Pretty much all are solid at moderate volume in 2.0, if you want more bass SVS, JBL, HTD’s…..If you want more clarity, overall balance, detail, and imaging then Chane’s, QA, Jamo, RBH
Best for 2.1: Chane’s 1.4, Chane’s 2.4, QA 3020, Jamo, RBH

Let me preface this, there IS NOT a bad speaker of the group, I can recommend all these speakers with dignity and pride…
Note: I did not like the Elacs. Some have voiced their opinion its possible I had a defective pair but I also know many have also had same opinion as me.

Runner Up

SVS Ultra- Not much needs to be said about this powerhouse of a speaker, it really spreads its wings, throws out music, fills up the entire room. It has trouble with highs, trouble with high volumes. I had problems turning my volume over 65 without hearing screeching like sounds. Now, in all fairness, this could have been to the new receiver Denon X2300W that I have since replaced. Very bright speaker. Great for movies, you thump and feel it with some bass, working wonders with my 2-HSU VTF 2 MK 5 Subs.
Why did I put the Ultra’s ahead of the JBL 230’s? The only reason….Ultra’s handled higher volumes a little better. NFL : Deion Sanders, lotta flash

JBL 230s- Let me describer the JBL’s. This is the girl you meet at a bar on Friday, say to yourself, I’m gonna spend the rest of my life with her, then come Sunday you say, Ok that was fun, I gotta use my brain here and now the member in my pants, I thought it was love at first sight but it was really just a weekend fling.
I opened up the box, boom bam thank you ma’am. Pure fire, excitement and Wow. Full stage, Wide dispersion of music. Better than Ultra’s at bass, better than Ultra’s at dispersing music at lower volume, this was the “Thor” of speakers that brought the hammer to lay some wood.
Watched Star Wars Rogue One day 1 out of the box, holy guacamole, talk about earthquake with my 2 subs. Love em’ I’m keeping them!!!
Next day, lets play more music. Ok 50, good , 55, um…..volume at 60? Oh no Kryptonite!!! Turn it down, mayday mayday…But here’s the thing You don’t ever need to turn these babies up. Moderate volume plays as if they cranked to 90.

Highs-um next
Everything else is solid, so recap don’t play highs too often and no high volume playing.
But I would absolutely buy these at $299 over the Ultra’s at $1,000. I would never go above moderate level and you will never hear their defeciencies.
Imaging- ok nothing great
NBA Comparison: Shaq

Chane’s A1.4- Does everything that big brother (A2.4) does but at a lower scale. Putting A1.4s (LR) + A2.4s as Center is a good system. I am using the A1.4s as the rear speakers in my setup.
Again, I didn’t put as many hours in the A1.4s as the A2.4s so I know they haven’t even reached the “break in” period yet. But, I am going on the notion they have the same make up as the A2.4s
NBA Comparison: Scottie Pippen- just smooth, all around good

Q Acoustics 3020- one of the big surprises of the group. A dynamic, compact, WAF designed speaker. I call this speaker the “Badger” because for its tiny compact size it’s a little beast. This speakers does everything very good.
QA 3020 reminds me of a kid from high school I knew. He was short, aggressive and mean as **** and use to beat all the bigger guys butts…That’s the QA 3020
I was so impressed I kept this for son’s room. He loves it. Its real only weakness is highs with high volume’s. Great stage, imaging, mids, bass not bad, it threw out music and HT waves pretty dam good. He plays a lot of Xbox and I hear his system with a crappy Sub booming all over the place. I still look at this little speaker and wonder how the heck does all this dynamic sound come out of this thing? This is why I put it ahead of the HTD Level 3. Its one thing to put a bunch of technology in a speaker that is pretty big like Level 3, but to put all that technology in a speaker ¼ the size of the Level 3 is super impressive. In a couple years, if QA continues on this path they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Boxing: Mike Tyson- short, powerful, compact

HTD Level 3s- When I saw this speaker come in and I unboxed this beauty 2 songs came to mind “I’m too sexy” by Right said Fred and “She’s a brickhouse”
This speaker is an incredible piece of art and built like a brick. Sometimes I wonder if I gave up too early on this speaker. Next to the Elac’s, I gave the Level 3s the least amount of time and I really regret it. Low, low, low that is this speaker’s strength. Built like a tank! Bass really good. This speaker does everything pretty dam good, highs a little weak…pretty good dispersion of music. Like Chane’s dam good tolerance to high levels…Crank this baby up and up and up!! It actually wants you to crank it up. I could easily put these either right behind the Chane’s A1.4 and ahead of the QA 3020’s, as there are many reasons why that should be done, but….those QA 3020’s just surprise you… With the 6.5 it will go deeper but will have some rough patches with high’s and even the mid’s but not too bad. Very good in HT setting. The image was pretty good. As I write this, I am kicking myself for not spending more time with the Level 3s. I doubt they would replace the Chane’s 1.4 but a real possibility they could’ve surpassed the QA 3020s.

NBA: Karl Malone

Jamo C93- when I first started listening to this speaker I felt some grace, some unexpected grace, I pictured an artist in the studio, quietly creating their next piece of artwork, subdued but gracefully creating art. This speaker of all speakers, did everything pretty good without an ego. They take underrated with pride. What do they do well? They go down low very deep surprisingly, they do also can get loud with very little distortion. They sounded much more complete than the RBH’s because RBH can’t get too low and fuller sounds from the Jamo’s. Pretty good image also, work good in HT. Kinda like Chane’s & HTDs they do take high volume pretty good, but also have their point where too much is too much unlike Chane’s.
NBA: Coach Popovich, San Antonio Spurs (underrated mastermind)

RBH R5Bi- If you’ve gotten this far and those that own RBH you might say WTF, no love? R E L A X
Yes these are good speakers. Enough has been talked about with these speakers…I think my long Florida room created difficulty for these speakers more than any of the other speakers. I had to turn up the volume more with these speakers to force their sound out. Based on what I read, they should’ve performed much better, so this is one of those circumstances where everything you read goes out the door because of certain conditions like my Florida room. However, I do really understand the good reviews of these speakers so I kept One for my son’s room to act as the Center between the QA 3020’s. The RBH does a good job as the center.
NFL- Barry Sanders

Elac B6s- Not much to say, this was the girl you met at the local dive bar at 2 am, woke up with her and wondered what the hell did you do. These didn’t impress me at all. However, I may have had a defective pair. I only say this because many have been pleased with their sound, while I also have had many say you’re right Elac’s not that good.
NFL: Jay Cutler- lotta hype little production

At the end of day this is what I have learned:
If you are a speaker company making a speakers between $500 to $1,000 you better be dang sure it could sell for $2,000 or more, better yet have value of that or more
Because these speakers under $300 I tested are a great value !!
They take on head 2 head the big boys, those $500 to $1,000++

All excellent speakers with attitude right there with the more expensive speaker crowd $500 to $1,000

Special thanks to @jonlane for the most outstanding customer service I have ever received
Keep up the hard work!

Chane's proved exceptional quality, value, and service that is rare to find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chanes winner.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	2193313   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLoridaRoom.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2193353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Angeloroom2.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	2193545   Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers1.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	2193553   Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers2.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	2193561  

Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers3.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2193569   Click image for larger version

Name:	All 6 speakers.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	2193577   Click image for larger version

Name:	JBL230(1).jpg
Views:	516
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2193585  
RayGuy, Utopianemo, gajCA and 11 others like this.

Last edited by mpk1970; 07-07-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 539
wow, awesome write-up Mike.. I'll read completely later; many of us not surprised how well the Chane's did. I still have A2rx-c Center and love it

Also owned pair of A3's and loved them, but upgrade bug hit & purchased Revel F206s to replace them.. I did brief A/B test before selling the A3's and they held their own until we got to the upper limits vs the Revels. I'd recommend Chane speakers to anyone, great value & love the split-gap woofer & flat plane tweeter. and PS; after 50+ hours of break-in my Chane A3's really opened up also, they sounded a bit muffled at first. I hear the newer Chane speakers have less required break-in.

Happy Fathers Day everyone!!! enjoy time with your families

Tom
BufordTJustice and mpk1970 like this.

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parsound P5 Preamp & A21 amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polks LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s

Last edited by yanks1; 06-18-2017 at 07:50 AM.
post #3 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Excellent! I'm always glad and thankful for threads like these. It takes a lot of time, money and effort. Thank you!

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Matt2026, Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.

post #4 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Good thread indeed, interesting. I'm surprised out of the SVS didn't blow everyone away. Also Chane's website is really weird. Maybe it's just me but they look kinda out of business. A lot of out of stock and discontinued products.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
mpk1970 likes this.
post #5 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
It's sure been fun following your explorations, big thanks!

PS. please feel free to revisit your assessment of any of these speakers once you get your new and much more powerful Integra receiver hooked up. Would be curious to hear how much of a noticeable difference it makes in everyday usage, or not.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Good thread indeed, interesting. I'm surprised out of the SVS didn't blow everyone away. Also Chane's website is really weird. Maybe it's just me but they look kinda out of business. A lot of out of stock and discontinued products.

Have no idea maybe @jonlane can address this

I noticed same thing with HSU, Ascend Acoustics...some of these Internet Direct companies put very little resources into their website
Amazes me
post #7 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
wow, awesome write-up Mike.. I'll read completely later; many of us not surprised how well the Chane's did. I still have A2rx-c Center and love it

Also owned pair of A3's and loved them, but upgrade bug hit & purchased Revel F206s to replace them.. I did brief A/B test before selling the A3's and they held their own until we got to the upper limits vs the Revels. I'd recommend Chane speakers to anyone, great value & love the split-gap woofer & flat plane tweeter. and PS; after 50+ hours of break-in my Chane A3's really opened up also, they sounded a bit muffled at first. I hear the newer Chane speakers have less required break-in.

Happy Fathers Day everyone!!! enjoy time with your families

Tom
Thank you Tom!!
post #8 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post

I noticed same thing with HSU, Ascend Acoustics...some of these Internet Direct companies put very little resources into their website
Amazes me
Some do and some don't. SVS does, RSL did and PSA has a good website just not all the bells and whistles that those others do.

BufordTJustice likes this.
post #9 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Quote:
Some do and some don't. SVS does, RSL did and PSA has a good website just not all the bells and whistles that those others do.
SVS definitely has the best website, easiest to use AND informative on demand.
BufordTJustice and Matt2026 like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

Amazes me
Engineers vs marketing people. Lol
I would imagine the cost would be worth it though to have a pretty and easily digestible website. With that being said I still bought ascends...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
BufordTJustice and mpk1970 like this.
post #11 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

I thought the exact same thing... I figured maaaaaybe they just wanted to list their old models to show history or that the ones for sale are the newer models. If that's not the case then I really don't understand.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #12 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It doesn't even look like a real speaker manufacturer website to be honest. I don't know what it is.

post #13 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Since my setup / placement philosophy is so very radically different, I should do a mini shootout with your best and your worst. And then video using a variety of material (probably all of it is stuff no one on AVS has ever heard before) and post.

Let you folks decide and me not say a word until all of you have spoken. I would also be curious. I haven't the time or interest in doing all of them and have just had the JBL LSR308s (for the garage system) here and back they went. So just the Chane 2.4 and the Elacs.

How much were the 2.4s for a pair?

Edit: And using the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GBATPFO...=34YA6LZS1UBWC with my Nikon D750 or 7100 so trying for a real decent recording too.
mpk1970 likes this.
post #14 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Chane is obviously in middle of transition to new .4 series... therefore once models sold out, they stopped selling them

hopefully web-site will be cleaned up a bit soon
Jon Lane and BufordTJustice like this.

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parsound P5 Preamp & A21 amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polks LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #15 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Chane is obviously in middle of transition to new .4 series... therefore once models sold out, they stopped selling them

hopefully web-site will be cleaned up a bit soon

If that's true, I want the new because I rarely ever send anything back so I have to buy with the intent of keeping.
post #16 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
Since my setup / placement philosophy is so very radically different, I should do a mini shootout with your best and your worst. And then video using a variety of material (probably all of it is stuff no one on AVS has ever heard before) and post.

Let you folks decide and me not say a word until all of you have spoken. I would also be curious. I haven't the time or interest in doing all of them and have just had the JBL LSR308s (for the garage system) here and back they went. So just the Chane 2.4 and the Elacs.

How much were the 2.4s for a pair?
We can all benefit from different setups, different rooms, different speakers. We are all here to gauge and get the best for our INDIVIDUAL situation. I think it would be helpful for you to do this
ex. my son QA 3020 the best for his room
Chane's 2.4 for MY room
Elac B6 for your room

I like latina's, but dont like blonde's, different tastes for different folks
post #17 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It doesn't even look like a real speaker manufacturer website to be honest. I don't know what it is.

Are we looking at same site? lol
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/

Its not bad at all...I dont think??
post #18 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We can all benefit from different setups, different rooms, different speakers. We are all here to gauge and get the best for our INDIVIDUAL situation. I think it would be helpful for you to do this
Chane's 2.4 for MY room
Elac B6 for your room

I've had PM conversations with Jon Chane, and he certainly talks the talk. He knows exactly where I'm coming from and I do with him. Market realities are a whole 'nother matter though, and he has to sell speakers to keep doing what he's doing. I am quite curious regarding the comprises he's chosen to appeal to that audience and still live with what he's produced.

How much are those, btw?
post #19 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. That's not the same site I found when I was just looking
post #20 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No, as was said that is not the site I found. Much better, thanks. I thought something was wrong with the other site I found.

Scotth3886 likes this.
post #21 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Still a lot of discontinued or out of stock products. I don't get it. That is the same site I found.

mikeTRON250LM likes this.
post #22 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:

Thank you!!
Maybe I overlooked it in your post, but I couldn't see exactly how long you think the Chanes needed to break in. I have a pair of the little guys on order, and I'll put them through the same protocol I used to test the break-in requirements for the Cambridge Audio Aero's. But I need to know how long you played the 2.4's. Thanks.
post #23 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Thanks for your hard work mpk,

Good to see the XBL motor used in things besides subwoofers. The XBL motored 12" subs were quite the beasts when CSS in Canada sold them (sadly now gone) Just shooting ponderings out my arse but was the suspension really stiff when out of the box? Have you cranked them up without a sub and noted the Xmax of the woofers? It interests me to see what became of the XBL2 motors--just my odd curiosity is all.

Enjoy your new system and may your returns go smoothly.
Jon Lane likes this.
post #24 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I would love to know your take on Boston Acoustics A26 Two-Way Bookshelf Speaker 6.5” Woofer 1" tweeter in comparison, but they are not in shootout ... using them as LCR in HT with sub.
post #25 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Maybe I overlooked it in your post, but I couldn't see exactly how long you think the Chanes needed to break in. I have a pair of the little guys on order, and I'll put them through the same protocol I used to test the break-in requirements for the Cambridge Audio Aero's. But I need to know how long you played the 2.4's. Thanks.

At one time I didn't believe that speaker break-in was that much of a factor until I bought my second pair of the Pioneer floor standers and put them in place right next to (at that time) the existing six month old set. It was easy, for the first 20 hours or so, to identify which was which. The same with the Elacs when I've have had my set for over a year at the time I bought my brother a set for xmas. So of course we did the same and started them off right next to the existing set. The new out of the box set sounded lifeless, undynamic and dull and made me remember why I almost sent back the set I bought from Music Direct. And it wasn't a matter of positioning either as they're pretty much where I knew they would work and had them from the beginning.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #26 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At one time I didn't believe that speaker break-in was that much of a factor until I bought my second pair of the Pioneer floor standers and put them in place right next to (at that time) the existing six month old set. It was easy, for the first 20 hours or so, to identify which was which. The same with the Elacs when I've have had my set for over a year at the time I bought my brother a set for xmas. So of course we did the same and started them off right next to the existing set. The new out of the box set sounded lifeless, undynamic and dull and made me remember why I almost sent back the set I bought from Music Direct. And it wasn't a matter of positioning either as they're pretty much where I knew they would work and had them from the beginning.
My Def Tech Studio monitors took more time than any speaker I've ever had to break in but once they did it was WOW! They seemed to open up and sound fantastic about a month after I had them. It was pretty awesome actually.

post #27 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Chane's 2.4 for MY room
Elac B6 for your room

I've had PM conversations with Jon Chane, and he certainly talks the talk. He knows exactly where I'm coming from and I do with him. Market realities are a whole 'nother matter though, and he has to sell speakers to keep doing what he's doing. I am quite curious regarding the comprises he's chosen to appeal to that audience and still live with what he's produced.

How much are those, btw?
With all due respect, your conversations with Jon have nothing to do with me? I'm really not sure what you are trying to get at?

I just wanted to get the best speakers for ME
Customer service wise Jon is great but SVS was very good, Dennis Murphy and I exchanged emails he is very good, etc...

Business is business...

You wanna put Chane's A2.4 vs Elac's be my guest
I will tell you what, you will be disappointed but in a good way and wanna keep the Chane's
Maybe I'm misreading your intentions but I took 3 weeks to find the best for my budget

Heck I had a Denon receiver and exchanged it for Integra receiver because I thought Integra best for $$ and value, and Denon wasnt performing up to my standards

That should speak volumes
post #28 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
My Def Tech Studio monitors took more time than any speaker I've ever had to break in but once they did it was WOW! They seemed to open up and sound fantastic about a month after I had them. It was pretty awesome actually.

Good to know. I always thought this break jn tims was a bunch of BS
post #29 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
Thanks for your hard work mpk,

Good to see the XBL motor used in things besides subwoofers. The XBL motored 12" subs were quite the beasts when CSS in Canada sold them (sadly now gone) Just shooting ponderings out my arse but was the suspension really stiff when out of the box? Have you cranked them up without a sub and noted the Xmax of the woofers? It interests me to see what became of the XBL2 motors--just my odd curiosity is all.

Enjoy your new system and may your returns go smoothly.
Thank you very much

Last edited by mpk1970; 06-18-2017 at 11:33 AM.
post #30 of 717 Old 06-18-2017, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Quote:

Thank you!!
It was a good 7-10 days before things started thumping and humming

A good 8 hrs day TV, movies, music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page