AVS Forum banner

Official Polk Signature Series Thread

212K views 1K replies 153 participants last post by  dragon53 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the Polk Signature Series line and it's been out for a while now. The Black Walnut Signature Series speakers were announced in September of 2016 and they were in stores by October 2016. The Brown Walnut followed when they were introduced in January of 2017 and they made their way into Pro Source dealers exclusively by February 2017.

So, I'm just wondering who has purchased this new line from Polk and what do you think of them? If you own them, what other speakers have you compared them to and what led you to choose the Polk Signature Series over the other speakers in their price range? Feel free to post pictures of your Polk Signature Series speakers!

https://www.polkaudio.com/collections/home-audio/signature-series

Reactions: waleed
#3 ·
I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the Polk Signature Series line and it's been out for a while now. The Black Walnut Signature Series speakers were announced in September of 2016 and they were in stores by October 2016. The Brown Walnut followed when they were introduced in January of 2017 and they made their way into Pro Source dealers exclusively by February 2017.

So, I'm just wondering who has purchased this new line from Polk and what do you think of them? If you own them, what other speakers have you compared them to and why did you choose the Signature Eries over other speakers in their price range? Feel free to post pictures of your Polk Signature Series speakers!

https://www.polkaudio.com/collections/home-audio/signature-series
Sound & Vision's impressions here along with decent looking frequency response charts.

Big plus is they are available at Best Buy with their excellent return policy.

Very nice looking affordable speakers that seem to be a step up from Polks previous "affordable" line of speakers.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/polk-signature-s60-speaker-system-review

#4 · (Edited)
Polk Signature S60 Review

Hi Geoff,

I read that review when it came out and I agree that the Signature Series is a welcome change to the recent offerings from Polk.

After hearing all of the praise these speakers are receiving here, and on other audio forums, I went out on a limb and I purchased the Signature S60 floor standing speakers along with a Signature S30 from Crutchfield for my hybrid 2-channel/HT. The speakers arrived early last week. Now, I'm saying that I went out on a limb because I didn't hear these before buying them. I honestly believe that the only way to know how the speakers will truly sound in my listening environment is to listen to them in my home on my associated gear.

Out of the box, I was not impressed. I am not a big believer in the "break in period" in regards to audio gear because my previous experiences led me to believe that how something sounds when new is typically how it's going to sound overall. Thankfully, these speakers are quite large and I wasn't eager to pack them back up and ship them back to Crutchfield. I also got them on sale and I think the price I paid was ridiculously low so, if I exchanged them, I'd lose out on the savings. Additionally, I don't think that 'break in" was the reason the sound improved for me.

Regardless, I let the Signature S60's play for about 3 days with a variety of music and, at the end of the 3rd day, they sounded like a completely different set of speakers. In all honesty, I did play with their position in the room over those three days and I think that I probably just got them dialed in correctly in regards to their placement in the room. The down firing Power Port behaves differently than the rear firing ports on my previous speakers and I think that had a lot to do with placing them optimally.

I am now truly gobsmacked by this pair of Signature S60 speakers. The sound is very balanced from top to bottom and the soundstage is wide. I'm definitely hearing a lot more of the details in music that I've not heard so distinctly in the past. I've heard people say that it's like "lifting a veil off the speakers" and that's probably the best way to describe what I'm hearing from the Signature S60's. Initially, I was concerned that they may be too forward in their presentation of the details/top end but that hasn't proven to be the case. In looking at the rest of the components in my setup, I'd say the components have a "laid back" sound quality and that may be offsetting the forward presentation of the Signature S60 speakers so that they are enjoyable and not fatiguing. Both the Cary preamp & the B&K power amp are said to have a "tube-like" sound. I have owned other pieces of gear that were very analytical/dry/harsh but I prefer the combination this setup provides, seeming to hit the sweet spot (not too warm, not too bright, but just about right).

I have owned other Polk speakers in the past, as well as many different brands/types of speakers from many different manufacturers and, regardless of the price, I believe the Signature Series to be truly impressive. Of course, this is all just my own humble, and highly subjective, opinion and YMMV.

Unfortunately, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. If you're planning to order the speakers, as I did, and have them shipped to you, be forewarned that the packing material is pretty minimal. The shipping boxes looked like a couple of deflated balloons because the shipping box, and not the packing material within, took the brunt of the abuse during transit. When the shipping box takes a substantial hit and there is no packing material between the shipping box and the speaker the speaker, itself, will take the hit.

I do like the magnetic grills, but the fabric is easily separated from the plastic frame.

In the "stock" photos, I thought that the Brown Walnut looked pretty classy. I'm not saying it doesn't look good in person but the old adage saying, "black goes with everything" applies. The Brown Walnut will look nice in the right environment, I just don't think it looks as good as the Black Walnut would in my Living Room.

Lastly, the stickers on the front of the Signature S60 speakers are a bad idea. I had to use my fingernail to pry up an edge of the decal in order to start peeling it off of the fascia. There was residual glue left on the facia and I used the decal to try and lift it off. Thankfully, all the glue came off but I wouldn't be too happy if there were scratches or scuffs and glue on the fascia of my brand new speakers because someone thought it'd be a good idea to put a decal on there. That's my $0.02 on the new Signature Series S60 speakers from Polk :)

#6 ·
#8 ·
I recently upgraded my gen 1 Andrew Jones Pioneer towers to the Polk S55s. I thought I was happy with Pioneers but, as they say, ignorance is bliss. The S55s simply blow them out of the water in every regard. I've got them matched with Polk S10 rear surrounds and OWM3s for Atmos/front heights, along with an older Energy CC5 center and PA-120 sub, and I honestly don't feel like I even need the sub with these towers but now I want to upgrade it and the center too...it's a slippery slope. :)

Anyway, subbing this thread to keep an eye on what more knowledgeable folks than me think about the Sig Series.

#9 ·
Well, your towers probably play as low as that entry level sub so I'd go with center first and sub second.

Here are sub ideas; all better than your current one when the time comes.

$200 EMOTIVA BASX S8
$300 EMOTIVA BASX S10
$419 RBH I12 ON CLEARANCE =NO RETURNS
$423 HSU VTF 1 MK3
$500 SVS PB1000
$604 HSU VTF2 MK5

#13 ·
So just a little follow-up... prompted by gajCA's comments I did a little rudimentary testing and indeed discovered that the S55s dig about as deep as the PA-120 sub, but are much louder at the lowest end, specifically from 35hz down to the fall-off point (which is supposed to be 32 for the towers but they were still pumping out discernible bass to about 25hz) with less localization since both towers are pushing out the lows instead of the single sub. In my apartment I don't have many options for sub placement so room acoustics probably play a part in the sub falling off early, but I'm still astounded by the S55s.

So I've decided to just ditch the sub altogether for now and run the S55s as "large" through my receiver (Yamaha RX-A660) which also seems to greatly enhance the mids and "wideness" of the entire soundstage compared to the 80hz crossover I was running with the sub. This setup is 90% HT/movies and I don't listen too loud (apartment...) so I'm not too worried about overtaxing the amp or speakers, and when I finally do move out of this dump I'll definitely be replacing the sub, probably with a PB-2000, although there's a kick@ss deal on a used Rythmik F12 on craigslist right now so I may just grab that and see if I can convince my neighbors that we're just having more earthquakes that usual here in San Francisco...yeah, it's weird they're in sync with the shootouts in John Wick 2...strange... :devil:

Anyway, long story long the S55s have been promoted from "brilliant" to "revelation" in my little world. Good stuff indeed!

#14 ·
I've owned sealed servos for decades and love them; I'd jump on the F12.

A few months ago my 15" sealed servo died and it took about a month of back and forth to get the amp working and it was the first time I listened in 5.0 for an extended period.

As my front three play down to 39hz, with in room extension below, that, I was surprised it sounded pretty darned good!

But I was happy to have the DD15 amp back before Game of Thrones came back! :p

#15 · (Edited)
My 2 biggest concerns with the F12 are that it's just out of warranty based on the OO's purchase date (2012) and that I won't be able to truly "appreciate" it until I move somewhere else, like to a symphony hall or private cave :D

But yeah, I'm sitting on my hands trying to not throw my money at the seller...

There's also a slightly used SB-2000 for sale close by, but I'm thinking the F12 or PB-2000 would be a better bet for HT low end...

#16 ·
Just got notification that my Polks will arrive today. S55 fronts, s35 centre and s15 rears.

I don't have a sub because my options are limited. I like in a remote location so I'm doing online ordering without listening.
My options for subs are.
Klipsch R112SW
Yamaha NS-SW700
Polk 125 or whatever it is but I'm already ruling that out. Bad specs.
Kef q400 sub.
Elac 10eq

What to do?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I recently picked up a pair of S20 refurbs for $159 on Polk’s eBay store.

I bought them to play around with and to potentially put in my garage to replace my trusty ’90 Polk Monitor C’s ever they ever fail and need to be pulled for service.

One of the S20 cabinets had a very noticeable scratch, so Polk sent me a replacement cabinet free of charge. Figured I’d snap a few pics while swapping the components to the new cabinet.

The cabinet has a window pane brace below the port. The corners are also reinforced. There is batting attached to side walls under the brace only.

The woofer and tweeter magnets are pretty beefy.

The crossover looks pretty simple and uses modest parts.

For $159/pair, in a 2.0 channel context, I think the S20 would be hard to beat at that price. They sound pretty balanced to me, have good resolution, image well, have very satisfying bass, and can play pretty loud without obvious strain. I’ve tested more expensive speakers (JBL 530 and Def Tech SM65) that had woofer bottoming out issues when the level is pushed. The S20 woofers have not had this issue in my testing.

At the full $300/pair retail price, there is a lot of good competition. I feel the S20 are certainly worth of an audition and comparison to other speakers in this price range, especially in a 2.0 channel context where one values satisfying bass and ability to push the volume a bit. Another thing to consider is Polk's excellent customer service.

Attachments

#22 ·
For $159/pair, in a 2.0 channel context, I think the S20 would be hard to beat at that price. They sound pretty balanced to me, have good resolution, image well, have very satisfying bass, and can play pretty loud without obvious strain. I’ve tested more expensive speakers (JBL 530 and Def Tech SM65) that had woofer bottoming out issues when the level is pushed. The S20 woofers have not had this issue in my testing.

Nice price, agreed.

How would you compare the S20 to the SM65s in other regards? Which do you prefer overall?

It'd be interesting for someone to do a cheapo shootout here one of these days. Something like Polk S vs Cores vs JBL 17 vs QAcoustic 2020s... the $100-$200 range speakers.

#24 ·
I'm really torn between the S55 and S60 for a 2.0 music setup. The cost of the S55 is much more in line with what I'm wanting to spend but I listen to a lot of electronic music, and while everybody says the bass on the S55 is really good, I worry that I'll need the extra oomph of the S60.

Anybody have any input on this?

#25 ·
I've got the s55. They put out plenty of bass.
The s50 and the s55 are about the same in bass surprisingly. S50 gets down to 33hz, s55 gets down to 32hz and the flagship s60 gets way down to 26hz.

The midrange is where the s55 speakers shine.

#29 ·
Were the Polk and JBL centers swapped in and out of the same system/AVR, or were they connected to different systems?

Was any EQ or tone control used for any of the speakers?

#28 ·
I also recently upgraded from the T series. I purchased the s55, s35 and s15. Not much of an audiophile but the difference is pretty dramatic...I finally found the right speakers for my yamaha rx-v681!!!

#30 ·
Ok, a little more follow-up on the S55s, with a bit more sub talk thrown in for good measure :cool:

After a few weeks of running the S55s without a sub I was starting to notice that the (amazing) bass could be a bit overpowering during movies/Netflix/etc. since I was no longer specifically 'controlling' it with a separate, tuned sub. Still fantastic, mind still blown, but it was noticeable enough over time to do something about so I expedited my subwoofer replacement plan and was about to pull the trigger on the Craigslist Rythmik when a basically brand new SVS SB-2000 popped up for about half retail price, so I jumped on it. It wasn't my first choice in a sub, but it was probably still a better choice than the PB-1000 I was leaning toward before, especially since it cost even less, and it was a much better deal than the Rythmik, so I rolled the dice.

DEFINITELY made the right call. It's "musical" and "precise" as described in several reviews, but it's also subtle and, I think, the perfect compliment to the S55s in my application. It digs deep without being overpowering and just fills in the low gaps perfectly, plus it can absolutely punch you in the chest when the scene calls for it, something my old sub couldn't do nearly as cleanly or solidly. I actually jumped off the couch the first time it "hit" during a movie -I forget which movie/scene it was, but it was a sudden explosion that I'd watched a million times before and the newfound power behind it caught me completely off-guard. :eek:

So again long story long, still absolutely loving the S55s (and S10 surrounds...) even without a sub (mostly - they really do swing lower than they have any right to...), and the SVS sub feels like it was made just to round out these speakers. If I had a bigger, more private space I would consider the PB-2000 or dual SB-2000s, or even the Ultra, but as things stand this setup is the real deal.

If you're on the fence about the Polk Sigs I absolutely recommend you jump off it feet first and grab a set. If you're worried about a sub to go with them I would honestly say it's not an immediate necessity, so you can take your time and enjoy the S's while you research your choice in subs.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

Reactions: Sask HT and spinnin
#45 ·
I may, in the near future. Just got me a new Denon 4300 and trying to get everything moved over to the new receiver, and cabled.

I added the S50's as my surrounds to give me a 7.1 setup, a couple months ago. They really sound great, and really work great for me in that role. I am HT 90% and they get used a lot. I have zero complaint for the sound/power they have in all my action movies that are heavy on surrounds.

I have JBL Studio S310's up front, S36's surround back and really wanted something to fill in the gap. Yes yes, should stick with same manufacture blah blah blah, but these Polks fall right into the sound stage. It works for me, sounds great, the wife is happy... happy wife, means keep buying more stuff...lol.

#35 ·
Hello all. What is a good in-ceiling speaker to compliment the Polk Signature series? I finally got the OK from wifey to update our speaker system. I currently have a 16 year old Energy Take Satellite system with an Energy ES10 Sub in a 7.1 configuration. We are moving in a new construction home soon and the ceiling has been wired for a 7 speaker configuration. I plan to use the 2 side speaker positions for surround/atmos purposes. I have heard many positive reviews of the S60 and plan to use these for the front along with the S35 for the center and the S15 or S10 for the back. The rest of my equipment includes a Pioneer Elite VSX-90 , a Sony XBR65X850C, a XBOX one S and a Silverstone Intel based HTPC

#36 ·
I have a Yamaha a660. I currently have S15s and the s35. I was planning on adding s10s for surrounds. Due to room limitations my LR speakers are 7ft from the ground. They sound great but I'd like to move them closer to the listening area. I've thought about getting s50 towers and moving S15s to the rear. I'd have to move the towers around for ideal placement when watching movies which I think I'd get sick of eventually. My concern is that at a rated 70wpc it won't be enough to push the s50 enough knowing that out put won't be that high. I do have the option to bi amp them which I think will be enough. Any thoughts? The room 12x13 with 8ft ceilings

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#47 · (Edited)
PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8
200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10
300watts =17w18h18d= 49 lbs 12" [26hz] $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12, (extension from Brent Butterworth measurement)
350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)
250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [22hz] $423 HSU VTF 1 MK3
200 watts =16w19h17d= 52 lbs 12" [22hz] $439 HTD LEVEL THREE
300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)
500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10" (coming soon)
300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R
350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $604 HSU VTF2 MK5, (verified by Audioholics review)
* = shipping weight

SEALED SUBWOOFERS $650 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

300watts =13w14h16d= 27 lbs 12" [23hz] $499 SVS SB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision)
300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12
500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)
* = shipping weight

#51 ·
I picked a signature 5.0 set (S60’s, s35, and the s20’s) last week and they should be here on Friday. To say I’m excited is an understatement. Lol. Especially with the raves and reviews on here. I also picked the Denon AVRx4300 to power these puppies.

Haven’t owned a home theater system in about 15 years, so everything is new again to me. I was wondering if anyone has any general recommendations for speakers stands for the S20’s, speaker cables (gauge and brands like amazon basics), possible Atmos pairings, and do’s/don’ts ?

Thanks in advanced.

Reactions: iceatola
#53 ·
For rears use a stand like this that can allow you to adjust the height; I have found that the common 2 feet above ear level when seated recommendation is great, I have mine even higher.

https://www.amazon.com/Surround-Sou...505314357&sr=1-3&keywords=tall+speaker+stands

For ALL your cables, go to Monoprice and save as much as the cost of the stands for quality cables,

For in ceiling Atmos Polk makes great in ceiling options also available at Crutchfield.

What sub are you going with?

#63 ·
Quick update. I'm now using 6 x S55s in my 7.2.4 set up.
Truly amazing. My room is massive and sounds like a true theatre.
The SVS centre really fits in nicely. Please avoid the s30 and s35. They just aren't good enough.
If only they made a centre to match the 6.5 inch drivers in the towers.

Towers all round bring a sound that a bookshelf set up can't.
The mids in the surround channels really shine.

#64 ·
Sounds like you found a combination that works well for you.

That being said, the S35 frequency response in the Sound and Vision review mirrors that of the S60s and S20s VERY well so not sure why someone would still not consider one.

Obviously it doesn't have the low end extension of the S60 (purple trace), or S20 (red trace) but the green trace of the S35 promises a very nice match...I assume the S30 would also be similar with a bit more bass extension than the S35.

#67 ·
#68 ·
Polk introduced a new line of subs that look like they will complement the Signature Series quite nicely (same power port technology used in both designs). If you're in the market for a new sub, you may want to check them out.

HTS 10 @ $349

HTS 12 @ $449

AVS looks at the new Polk subs at CEDIA 2017: http://www.avsforum.com/polk-shows-new-hts10-and-hts-12-subwoofers-at-cedia-2017/
I've been looking at these...and your right they look like they will compliment the sig series...probably found my replacement sub!

#88 ·
I will soon be the owner of the S35, two S50s, and two S10 for a 5.1 setup. A major upgrade over the klipsch htib setup i am currently using.

I didn't get to listen to these beforehand but read through this thread and saw other positive reviews. Also the sizes fit very well for my setup and aesthetically I purchased them in the brown walnut which will match our surrounding furniture and floors which will make it a lot easier transition for the wife.

I am very excited to really get everything setup in the coming days with my new Yamaha Rx-A770 as well.

#992 ·
I will soon be the owner of the S35, two S50s, and two S10 for a 5.1 setup. A major upgrade over the klipsch htib setup i am currently using.

I didn't get to listen to these beforehand but read through this thread and saw other positive reviews. Also the sizes fit very well for my setup and aesthetically I purchased them in the brown walnut which will match our surrounding furniture and floors which will make it a lot easier transition for the wife.

I am very excited to really get everything setup in the coming days with my new Yamaha Rx-A770 as well.
How do their speakers sound with that Yamaha receiver?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.