Review: Focal Sib Evo Dolby Atmos-Enabled 5.1.2 Speaker System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By Dr.Evazan
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 1 Post By DS-21

post #1 of 15 Old 07-12-2017, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6075 Post(s)
Liked: 10624
Review: Focal Sib Evo Dolby Atmos-Enabled 5.1.2 Speaker System

Is this the king of HTiB? Focal announced its latest product today (July 12, 2017). The Sib Evo Dolby Atmos-enabled speaker is the start of this 5.1.2 3D immersive audio system from the famous French speaker maker. Click the link to read my first impressions/first look comments: Focal Sib Evo Dolby Atmos-Enabled 5.1.2 Speaker System Review
freeman4 likes this.

Mark Henninger (aka Imagic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-12-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Seems like a cut above the typical HTIB when it comes to the sats, shame they included such a puny sub.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #3 of 15 Old 07-13-2017, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Seems like a cut above the typical HTIB when it comes to the sats, shame they included such a puny sub.
Yep. Yesterday, at CE week, I attended the demo of the same exact system. Of course, I already know how the system performs. Well, during the demo at the show, the sub clipped. Meanwhile the satellites did well and rendered height effects in a room with a 15-foot ceiling. It's a mismatch.

But, as I noted in my review and confirmed by talking to a Focal rep, the target audience for this system typically is looking to save space. Between that and creating an all-in-one package that's not too big or heavy to sell as a HTiB—while keeping the system cost down—resulted in the company going with a small sub that offers modest capability.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-13-2017, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Yeah I think this system is perfect for the target audience. A larger sub would put it into the territory of people who would rather just go buy a big set of klipsch or polk.
dnoonie likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evazan View Post
Yeah I think this system is perfect for the target audience. A larger sub would put it into the territory of people who would rather just go buy a big set of klipsch or polk.
I had an Infinity Modulus II system that I used for many years, and part of its longevity was that it came with a damn nice 12" ported sub (in fact I'm still using that sub even though I've replaced the smaller modulus sats with a larger front stage, and I've never been able to get it to run out of steam).

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #6 of 15 Old 07-13-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
I had an Infinity Modulus II system that I used for many years, and part of its longevity was that it came with a damn nice 12" ported sub (in fact I'm still using that sub even though I've replaced the smaller modulus sats with a larger front stage, and I've never been able to get it to run out of steam).

I'm still running my Modulus II system. I need to upgrade to Atmos enabled speakers and can't find any good candidates. Space is limited (the Modulus speakers are the perfect size for my setup).

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #7 of 15 Old 07-13-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
I'm still running my Modulus II system. I need to upgrade to Atmos enabled speakers and can't find any good candidates. Space is limited (the Modulus speakers are the perfect size for my setup).
You can buy additional Modulus sats pretty cheap on Ebay. I have a few extras now that I've replaced my front stage and with the adustable-angle ball-hinge thingy they use to attach to the base I've considered repurposing a couple of them as Atmos reflecting speakers by placing them on top of my towers once I get an Atmos processor.

Depending on your setup you may be able to pick up a few and set them up pointing at an angle towards the ceiling and see how that works.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-13-2017, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can buy additional Modulus sats pretty cheap on Ebay. I have a few extras now that I've replaced my front stage and with the adustable-angle ball-hinge thingy they use to attach to the base I've considered repurposing a couple of them as Atmos reflecting speakers by placing them on top of my towers once I get an Atmos processor.

Depending on your setup you may be able to pick up a few and set them up pointing at an angle towards the ceiling and see how that works.

Atmos-enabled speakers are quite different from pointing a speaker at the ceiling. They're specially designed.

post #9 of 15 Old 07-14-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3474 Post(s)
Liked: 2190
Quote:
That's why I really like how Q Acoustics decided to market its 7000i 5 speaker small form factor system without a sub here in the States.

https://www.qacoustics.com/home-thea...r-package.html

Allows you to buy a $199 BasX S8 which outperforms most any HTIB setup or, obviously, you can shoot for much much more if that is your preference in subs.

In the UK you can buy the little speakers in that bundle individually but if you choose to buy the bundle it includes one of Q Acoustics' under performing subs as that UK company makes very good speakers but woeful subs.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 15 Old 07-14-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
But it's probably OK for apartment and condo dwellers, and of course small living rooms.
dnoonie likes this.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #11 of 15 Old 07-14-2017, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
But it's probably OK for apartment and condo dwellers, and of course small living rooms.
Yeah I'd say so.

post #12 of 15 Old 07-14-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Atmos-enabled speakers are quite different from pointing a speaker at the ceiling. They're specially designed.

Yes/no/not really. One can apply the target curve from the Dolby patent to any speaker using a miniDSP processor or plate amp, or Hypex DSP plate amp.
imagic likes this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #13 of 15 Old 07-14-2017, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 647
just cause eq's can be used doesnt mean all speakers with same response sound the same

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #14 of 15 Old 07-15-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
One can apply the target curve from the Dolby patent to any speaker using a miniDSP processor or plate amp, or Hypex DSP plate amp.

Yeah, I think I got 5 or 6 of those just lying in a drawer someplace.

post #15 of 15 Old 07-18-2017, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Yeah, I think I got 5 or 6 of those just lying in a drawer someplace.
You may not be particularly well-versed in the hobby, but the information is out there. It's very easy for someone more advanced to simply use speakers s/he already has and use an inexpensive DSP box (or DSP-amp) to provide the required EQ.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
dolby atmos , Focal , sib evo dolby atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page