Speakers needed for a small basement theater area - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-17-2017, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Speakers needed for a small basement theater area

Hello all, I posted a thread in the Home Theater section but was advised to piece it out into the specific areas so I am doing that here. I posted a complete theater build a few years back where I build Curt Campbell's Stentorians for my front L/R/C and then the Sten II's (4) for my surrounds and 2 big cabinet 12" subs. I have now sold that house and all the equipment with it. We've now moved to Ohio for a 2 year assignment and the rental house has a small (but usable) theater area in the basement.

I don't want to spend a ton on the system knowing that I'm going to be moving back to Alabama in 2 years and building a new home theater. So, with that being said, I need advice on a speaker system to use in this small area. My total budget is $3k- $3.5k. I have already ordered a Denon X3300 from Amazon on sale ($599) and I plan to buy the 65" Vizio M65-E0 from Sam's Club for ~$1000. I will also need a 4K/UHD player so I think that will be around $300-$400 so I am estimating that I have between $1500 and $1700 to spend. I would love to be able to use Dolby ATMOS but just don't think the space will be right for it or the budget.

As you can see, my seating area will be about 8' from the tv position. I'll plan to remove the L/R/C Bose speakers shown here and put the tv there. Whatever speakers I go with will go beside the tv (L/R) and hopefully under for the center. The ceiling height in this area is right at 8'. Also, as you'll notice, the sides on both the left and right are open so not sure how much sound quality I'll lose from that.

So, I am requesting advice on speakers in this price range that will fit this area and sound good. Need a 5.1 or 7.1 system with pretty good sub. As mentioned, I'd love to try ATMOS but not sure if my space or budget will allow it. Also, are there DIY options that are better than buying online or at Best Buy. The guys at Best Buy showed me a set of Definitive Technology Pro 1000's that sounded pretty good but I thought I could probably get advice here on a better set for the price. I've seen speakers from Emotive, RSL, Klipsch, etc.. recommended on here several times.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement- Theater Area 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	2242369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement- Theater Area 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	2242377  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-17-2017, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Are you including a sub at that price? Do you listen to any music?
Are you at all interested in DIY or AIY?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 07-17-2017, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I might be willing to sell a pair of Aperion Audio Verus Grand bookshelves as well as an Aperion Audio Verus Grand center channel that still has 5 years left on the warranty for about $600 total. The only reason I'm considering selling them is I have no place for them in my new house being built and will be using Aperion Audio Verus Grand towers for my LCR behind movie screen.

I have the original boxes and velvet bag they come in.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-18-2017, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTRON250LM View Post
Are you including a sub at that price? Do you listen to any music?
Are you at all interested in DIY or AIY?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply MikeTRON250LM. I will need a sub in this system. I listen to a bit of music but it's probably about 90% movies. I would certainly be interested in DIY if there could be some kits available through Parts Express or somewhere like that with performance as good as or better than the name brand speakers.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-18-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
speaker kits
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-kits/286

http://gr-research.com/diykits.aspx

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2

Last edited by zieglj01; 07-18-2017 at 07:43 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-18-2017, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Because you will be sitting fairly close to the L/R/C, you can get by with less efficient speakers. At 8-10 feet they will be radiating directly at the MLP (main listening position). We have a similar arrangement, but closed off on left side. Small bookshelf/satellites, mounted on the wall provide a lot of output to the fairly close MLP.

If you are trying to maximize bass, you may need to spend a fairly large chunk of your budget on quality subwoofers. With the open sides it will be difficult for a sub to pressurize your viewing/listening area.

FWIW, I am satisfied with my quality sealed 12" 300 watt subwoofer, since I do not attempt to reach reference (movie theater) volumes and don't need to shake pictures off the wall.

I'd plan on spending at least $500-800 on a sub or subs and $800-$1,200 on 5.0 or 7.0 bundle. You will be able to allocate more to your L/R/C if you use less expensive wall mounted speakers as surrounds on the wall above your couch.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-18-2017, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon O View Post
Because you will be sitting fairly close to the L/R/C, you can get by with less efficient speakers. At 8-10 feet they will be radiating directly at the MLP (main listening position). We have a similar arrangement, but closed off on left side. Small bookshelf/satellites, mounted on the wall provide a lot of output to the fairly close MLP.

If you are trying to maximize bass, you may need to spend a fairly large chunk of your budget on quality subwoofers. With the open sides it will be difficult for a sub to pressurize your viewing/listening area.

FWIW, I am satisfied with my quality sealed 12" 300 watt subwoofer, since I do not attempt to reach reference (movie theater) volumes and don't need to shake pictures off the wall.

I'd plan on spending at least $500-800 on a sub or subs and $800-$1,200 on 5.0 or 7.0 bundle. You will be able to allocate more to your L/R/C if you use less expensive wall mounted speakers as surrounds on the wall above your couch.
Thanks Leon O. I agree with you about the subs. I definitely like the bass so I'll probably take your advice there.

On your comment about the wall mounted speakers, I'm a bit afraid that mounting there will send the sound over the seating position. Would it be better to put them on pedestals and point them at the listening position?
post #8 of 10 Old 07-18-2017, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathu126 View Post
Thanks Leon O. I agree with you about the subs. I definitely like the bass so I'll probably take your advice there.

On your comment about the wall mounted speakers, I'm a bit afraid that mounting there will send the sound over the seating position. Would it be better to put them on pedestals and point them at the listening position?
Mathu126, you will have more options if you can use stand mounted speakers. My point about OUR use of smaller wall mounted speakers was to let you know that you do not need monster speakers if you are only 8 feet away from them.

BTW and FYI, many wall mounts will allow speakers to be angled towards the main listening position (MLP). Many listeners find it pleasing to have the L/R speakers in line with the vertical center of the television.

If I had "permission," I would larger stand mounted speakers instead of the wall mounted satellites
post #9 of 10 Old 07-18-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 425
post #10 of 10 Old 07-19-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 4116 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathu126 View Post

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Pioneer speakers with Dolby Atmos $400.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ck-pair/1.html

Center speaker $230.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html

You can buy the same rear speakers as the fronts for four Dolby Atmos and this EXCELLENT subwoofer for a great 5.1.4 setup within your budget.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

The main problem with that sub is size and it might be TOO much as it is designed for loud volumes in large spaces.

But there is a volume control so too much sub is always better than not enough.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page