In-Ceiling ATMOS speaker setup question. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ALtlOff

post #1 of 7 Old 08-01-2017, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 36
In-Ceiling ATMOS speaker setup question.

Quick question for people running Atmos speakers, or a 7.1 setup......

I will be installing 4 ceiling speakers to add to my 5.1 setup. I will probably be picking up the Yamaha2070 to power everything in either a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2 setup.

Questions is... which is better?? I am planning on getting a Oppo player as well down the road, but without having actual "ATMOS" content, what's the best of the two setups to actually hear sound from the ceiling speakers when watching normal content??? (Directv/Netflix/etc)

Also, what settings do you set it to on the receiver then??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-01-2017, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I do not have an Atmos setup yet, but I'm planning on it very soon and so I have read a lot about the subject on these forums. The consensus seems to be that 5.1.4 is notably better than 7.1.2.

I'm planning to go with the former in my HT (well, actually it will be 5.2.4).

I am not sure which is better for watching "normal" content on DirecTV, etc. I think there are DSPs in the Yamaha that will allow you to take advantage of all of your speakers, even when the normal content wouldn't otherwise utilize them all. Others will be able to speak better to that point. I'm just getting acquainted with the DSP options on the Yamaha, as a new owner of the a3060.

On that point, FYI, for basically the same price as the just-released Yamaha a2070 (mentioned in your post), you can get last year's flagship model, the Yamaha a3060. Just something to think about in case you ever might want to go 7.1.4. The 30xx can do that for you (if you buy an additional amp for 2 channels), while the 20xx cannot. I just recently bought the a3060 and to say I am happy with it is a huge understatement. Of course, it replaced a 7 year old Denon 891, so the new receiver is in a different league. The 20xx series is probably very fantastic as well. But if you ever might want 7.x.4, go with the a3060.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-01-2017, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfaKMan View Post
I do not have an Atmos setup yet, but I'm planning on it very soon and so I have read a lot about the subject on these forums. The consensus seems to be that 5.1.4 is notably better than 7.1.2.

I'm planning to go with the former in my HT (well, actually it will be 5.2.4).

I am not sure which is better for watching "normal" content on DirecTV, etc. I think there are DSPs in the Yamaha that will allow you to take advantage of all of your speakers, even when the normal content wouldn't otherwise utilize them all. Others will be able to speak better to that point. I'm just getting acquainted with the DSP options on the Yamaha, as a new owner of the a3060.

On that point, FYI, for basically the same price as the just-released Yamaha a2070 (mentioned in your post), you can get last year's flagship model, the Yamaha a3060. Just something to think about in case you ever might want to go 7.1.4. The 30xx can do that for you (if you buy an additional amp for 2 channels), while the 20xx cannot. I just recently bought the a3060 and to say I am happy with it is a huge understatement. Of course, it replaced a 7 year old Denon 891, so the new receiver is in a different league. The 20xx series is probably very fantastic as well. But if you ever might want 7.x.4, go with the a3060.
I think you'll like the Dolby Surround DSP option.

I would also stick with an x70 vs. an x60. HDR, IMHO, is a huge differentiator than 4K, so you'd want to future proof yourself as much as possible.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-01-2017, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post
Quick question for people running Atmos speakers, or a 7.1 setup......

I will be installing 4 ceiling speakers to add to my 5.1 setup. I will probably be picking up the Yamaha2070 to power everything in either a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2 setup.

Questions is... which is better?? I am planning on getting a Oppo player as well down the road, but without having actual "ATMOS" content, what's the best of the two setups to actually hear sound from the ceiling speakers when watching normal content??? (Directv/Netflix/etc)

Also, what settings do you set it to on the receiver then??

Thanks!
If you can, always opt for 4 overheads instead of 2, it's just a better experience.

As far as listening modes, for Atmos it's simply "Dolby Surround", this gives you true Atmos with an Atmos signal, or the Dolby Surround Upmixer with all other content.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #5 of 7 Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
If you can, always opt for 4 overheads instead of 2, it's just a better experience.

As far as listening modes, for Atmos it's simply "Dolby Surround", this gives you true Atmos with an Atmos signal, or the Dolby Surround Upmixer with all other content.

Straight also works with Atmos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
So if you have in-ceiling speakers for an Atmos setup (for example, 5.2.4), are you saying that the "Dolby Surround" surround decoder in the Yamaha 3060 receiver will use ALL of the speakers to play content? In other words, all of the speakers are used even if it's not an Atmos sound track? Does it work very well?

One reason I'm not certain whether to add the four in-ceiling speakers is because I thought they'd be doing absolutely nothing except for Blu-rays and other content that have Atmos tracks. It sounds like I'm mistaken about that. Can you clarify/confirm?

Also, I'm not clear what the differences are between surround decoders (Dolby Surround, Neural:X, Neo:6 Cineman, Neo:6 Music) and DSP sound programs (Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie, Enhanced, Sports, ... Hall in Munich ... Chamber, etc.). Do you pick one from each list, meaning pick one surround decoder and one DSP? I suspect I'm all sorts of confused, so hopefully you all understand the question. Thanks much.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfaKMan View Post
So if you have in-ceiling speakers for an Atmos setup (for example, 5.2.4), are you saying that the "Dolby Surround" surround decoder in the Yamaha 3060 receiver will use ALL of the speakers to play content? In other words, all of the speakers are used even if it's not an Atmos sound track? Does it work very well?

One reason I'm not certain whether to add the four in-ceiling speakers is because I thought they'd be doing absolutely nothing except for Blu-rays and other content that have Atmos tracks. It sounds like I'm mistaken about that. Can you clarify/confirm?

Also, I'm not clear what the differences are between surround decoders (Dolby Surround, Neural:X, Neo:6 Cineman, Neo:6 Music) and DSP sound programs (Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie, Enhanced, Sports, ... Hall in Munich ... Chamber, etc.). Do you pick one from each list, meaning pick one surround decoder and one DSP? I suspect I'm all sorts of confused, so hopefully you all understand the question. Thanks much.
Yes, when Dolby Surround is selected, the upmixer blends sounds into the overhead speakers using a special algorithm with a non-Atmos signal, it actually does a very good job of placing the correct sounds into the overheads. (It's the only mode most of us use for any content, since it covers all input types) so using this mode will make use of the overheads for any content.
DTS-X also does this with Neural-X (DTS's upmixer), it just doesn't seem to do as good of a job as the Dolby Upmixer.

As far as the rest of them and what ever you choose, they all use different phasing to create the different sound modes, you can just pick what you like best, you don't have to change it if you don't want, or pick the "correct" one depending on your content, except for true amps and DTS-X, all the other ones are just best guess.
HalfaKMan likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page