Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 90 Old 08-08-2017, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Almost bought Bose

Hello! I was about to pull the trigger on a Bose 300 soundbar and sub. However, I'm really interested in building another home theater system to better suit my needs.

I started looking at Bose because of its small footprint.These speakers will be going into my family room. I'm looking for big sound in a little package. Ultimately, I know quality in smaller speakers can't compare to larger ones.

I've been out of the game for over 10 years. There are a lot of new brands, functions and tech available. I've got a lot of research to do. Any recommendations or suggestions as to where I should start?

I'd like to stay under $2K for the speakers and receiver. The Bose system is a little over $1300.

A few must haves, that Bose does not offer, are dual zones and perhaps WiFi or RF. Not sure if that's the correctly terminology. Basically, I would like to listen to music by the pool and be able to control my receiver from outside.

I have a monthly subscription to Apple Music and like to listen to iHeart. Thanks in advance for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 08-08-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked: 2465
Congrats for escaping the Bose trap!

Recommend reading over this ongoing thread, covers the exact same topic and similar budget as yours:
Best Compact Speakers For A(n Expandable) 5.1 Setup?
darthray and mikeTRON250LM like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 90 Old 08-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Take a look at RSL speakers, very good speakers and incredible customer service. They have 2 lines CG3 and CG4. You can't go wrong with them if your looking for quality small speakers. I have a pair of CG3 speakers and they are pretty dam awesome.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

post #4 of 90 Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Looking forward to reading and following the thread.
post #5 of 90 Old 08-08-2017, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Take a look at RSL speakers, very good speakers and incredible customer service. They have 2 lines CG3 and CG4. You can't go wrong with them if your looking for quality small speakers. I have a pair of CG3 speakers and they are pretty dam awesome.

Definitely intrigued by RSL's. Thanks
post #6 of 90 Old 08-08-2017, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by superd@d View Post

I'd like to stay under $2K for the speakers and receiver.
How many speakers? And does speaker budget include sub(s)?
post #7 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922
Congrats for escaping the Bose trap!

Indeed so...... I have heard those BOSE radios and they do not sound that good!!!!!! (Bass toned way down,etc)

The latest one is the worst!!!! (So much interference on the AM band,etc)
Zorba922 likes this.
post #8 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Yeah RSL speakers are really good. Don't let the size fool ya, pretty big and nice sound from them. Send Joe Rogers an email, he is detailed and honest in response. Great, great guy.

post #9 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 261
The Polk Audio Signature Series are getting rave reviews (for the money) from almost everyone. They are readily available which makes buying them and returning them easy.

They have a very unique center channel as well which I have purchased due to space constraints. It sounds great and is a big upgrade from my soundbar.

https://www.polkaudio.com/collection...gnature-series
post #10 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post
The Polk Audio Signature Series are getting rave reviews (for the money) from almost everyone. They are readily available which makes buying them and returning them easy.

They have a very unique center channel as well which I have purchased due to space constraints. It sounds great and is a big upgrade from my soundbar.

The towers and bookshelves in the S series may be ok, but here's someone who experienced serious buyer's remorse after comparing the S35/S30 centers to a full sized center:

Just finished a review & comparison. Klipsch Reference R-15m vs. Polk Signature Seri

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The towers and bookshelves in the S series may be ok, but here's someone who experienced serious buyer's remorse after comparing the S35/S30 centers to a full sized center:

Just finished a review & comparison. Klipsch Reference R-15m vs. Polk Signature Seri
I have the S35. Sounds great for what I use it for (TV) and a definite upgrade from the my old soundbar. However, I don't use it for music as I have Ascend Sierra 2s and dual 15" Rythmik subs.
gajCA likes this.
post #12 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Hello! I was about to pull the trigger on a Bose 300 soundbar and sub. However, I'm really interested in building another home theater system to better suit my needs.

I started looking at Bose because of its small footprint.These speakers will be going into my family room. I'm looking for big sound in a little package. Ultimately, I know quality in smaller speakers can't compare to larger ones.

I've been out of the game for over 10 years. There are a lot of new brands, functions and tech available. I've got a lot of research to do. Any recommendations or suggestions as to where I should start?

I'd like to stay under $2K for the speakers and receiver. The Bose system is a little over $1300.

A few must haves, that Bose does not offer, are dual zones and perhaps WiFi or RF. Not sure if that's the correctly terminology. Basically, I would like to listen to music by the pool and be able to control my receiver from outside.

I have a monthly subscription to Apple Music and like to listen to iHeart. Thanks in advance for any advise.
Pretty much any 7.1 receiver will have a dual zone option, (ie. use speaker connections for a 7.1 setup OR 5.1 setup + Zone 2).

To be able to control a receiver from outside though might take a phone app, (I don't have a smart phone so maybe someone else can chime in on that), or a simple RF repeater.

Here's one from Best Buy with their easy returns if it doesn't work as advertised.

For a 7.1 receiver I'd take a look at something like this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/denon-av...?skuId=5793000

You can save money on a receiver by buying factory refurbished here:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

For inside you'll need a subwoofer:

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

150watts 28HZ $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8
200watts 27HZ $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10
300watts 25hz $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12
250watts 22hz $423 HSU VTF 1 MK3
300watts 19hz $499 SVS PB1000
300watts 19hz $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R
350watts 18hz $604 HSU VTF2 MK5

So chances are you'll have about $1000 to spend on a 5.0 speaker system for inside plus a pair of outdoor speakers by the pool.

My daughter has these and they sound just fine; surprising bass, plenty of volume with low distortion and at $100/pair leave you $900 or so for a 5.0 system inside.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-n...?skuId=8837654

As you are not very experienced I'd consider speakers from somewhere EASY to return with free return shipping, so no risk financially.

BEST BUY BRANDS TO CONSIDER, EASY RETURNS
Polk Signature Series
Defintive Technology Studio Monitors
Klipsch RP Series

INTERNET DIRECT BRANDS WITH FREE RETURN SHIPPING:
Aperion
SVS
HTD
RSL
JBL

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 08-09-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #13 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the S35. Sounds great for what I use it for (TV) and a definite upgrade from the my old soundbar. However, I don't use it for music as I have Ascend Sierra 2s and dual 15" Rythmik subs.
I think Polk Signatures from Best Buy would be a great place for the OP to start as there are so many options within budget including floor standers, two different centers, and several book shelf choices.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
350watts 23hz $419 RBH I12 ON CLEARANCE =NO RETURNS
These are gone now.

Study: Schiit Bifrost Multibit -> Yamaha A-S500 -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT/Emotiva S8
Living Room HT: Oppo BDP-83 -> Denon 3808i -> PSB Image 4T/8C/S50/SubSonic5
Office: Schiit Modi 2 Uber -> NAD C740 -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
Bedroom: Onkyo TX-8050 -> PSB Image 1B/Yamaha YST-SW215
post #15 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
These are gone now.
Thanks for the heads up.

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I think Polk Signatures from Best Buy would be a great place for the OP to start as there are so many options within budget including floor standers, two different centers, and several book shelf choices.
I think I got the last 2 black ones!
post #17 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Consider too if you need/want an AVR that can process the current video standards, HDCP 2.2, DV, HDR, WCG, UHD Blu-ray, UHD 4K 60Hz. 4:4:4, not to mention all the current sound formats. There is a wide range of prices for 7.1 systems, but at some price point there will be trade-offs you may feel in 6 months or a year.

I can't list every $1000 or less qualified receiver, but the Marantz sr6011 is on sell-out at Best But for $900, and available on Amazon for $1000. There are some reasonably priced ones from Denon, Yamaha, and Marantz that do it all, or most if it, which you can read about here.

*Official* Marantz 2016 NR-1607, SR-5011/6011/7011 owner's thread
"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8)
Yamaha RX-A3070 / A2070 / A1070 Aventage Owners' Thread
*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread

You'll have to check on Apple Music and iHeart compatibility.
Might not leave much for a subwoofer, but, budgets were meant to be broken.
post #18 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The trouble with Zone 2 speakers is that you still have to run wires to the deck. I would recommend that if you want to just have Pool music go with Heos or Sonos outside controlled from phone App and then a separate system inside for HT. I originally went this route with Heos 3s and a Denon receiver. Although it didn't work for me because I also watch movies outside and the sound delay for the Heos from the source wouldn't work but I really liked the speakers.

If running wires to the deck is no big deal to you then I would recommend a Denon S930H with dual zone and Heos control on Zone 2 separate from Main zone so you could have Music outside and still watch TV inside I ended up going this route with just a pair of Yamaha outdoor speakers off Amazon open box. I am still in the process of HT speakers but so far it's working pretty well. There is a Steep learning curve on the Denon Heos reciever intagration and using the apps to control both zones.
post #19 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Quote:

Most likely 5.1. This is just for my family room so don't need to get too crazy.
post #20 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Quote:

Budget does include subs. However, I think I maybe throwing an extra $1K or so for the receiver.
post #21 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Look forward to checking them out. Thanks
post #22 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Quote:
Yeah RSL speakers are really good. Don't let the size fool ya, pretty big and nice sound from them. Send Joe Rogers an email, he is detailed and honest in response. Great, great guy.

Will do. I'm definitely thinking about the C34E's, for the surrounds, as the house we purchased already has speakers installed in the ceiling which will be replaced.

Last edited by superd@d; 08-09-2017 at 04:45 PM.
post #23 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Pretty much any 7.1 receiver will have a dual zone option, (ie. use speaker connections for a 7.1 setup OR 5.1 setup + Zone 2).

To be able to control a receiver from outside though might take a phone app, (I don't have a smart phone so maybe someone else can chime in on that), or a simple RF repeater.

Here's one from Best Buy with their easy returns if it doesn't work as advertised.

So chances are you'll have about $1000 to spend on a 5.0 speaker system for inside plus a pair of outdoor speakers by the pool.

My daughter has these and they sound just fine; surprising bass, plenty of volume with low distortion and at $100/pair leave you $900 or so for a 5.0 system inside.

As you are not very experienced I'd consider speakers from somewhere EASY to return with free return shipping, so no risk financially.

Polk Signature Series
Klipsch RP Series

Aperion
SVS
HTD
RSL
JBL
Great info! Thanks.
post #24 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeHawk View Post
Consider too if you need/want an AVR that can process the current video standards, HDCP 2.2, DV, HDR, WCG, UHD Blu-ray, UHD 4K 60Hz. 4:4:4, not to mention all the current sound formats. There is a wide range of prices for 7.1 systems, but at some price point there will be trade-offs you may feel in 6 months or a year.

I can't list every $1000 or less qualified receiver, but the Marantz sr6011 is on sell-out at Best But for $900, and available on Amazon for $1000. There are some reasonably priced ones from Denon, Yamaha, and Marantz that do it all, or most if it, which you can read about here.

*Official* Marantz 2016 NR-1607, SR-5011/6011/7011 owner's thread
"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8)
Yamaha RX-A3070 / A2070 / A1070 Aventage Owners' Thread
*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread

You'll have to check on Apple Music and iHeart compatibility.
Might not leave much for a subwoofer, but, budgets were meant to be broken.
Thanks! All of the responses have been great. I can't wait to read all of your suggestions and get this project under way. I've decided to add another $1K to the budget for the receiver. I definitely want to future proof my purchase somewhat.
post #25 of 90 Old 08-09-2017, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisn2me View Post
The trouble with Zone 2 speakers is that you still have to run wires to the deck. I would recommend that if you want to just have Pool music go with Heos or Sonos outside controlled from phone App and then a separate system inside for HT. I originally went this route with Heos 3s and a Denon receiver. Although it didn't work for me because I also watch movies outside and the sound delay for the Heos from the source wouldn't work but I really liked the speakers.

If running wires to the deck is no big deal to you then I would recommend a Denon S930H with dual zone and Heos control on Zone 2 separate from Main zone so you could have Music outside and still watch TV inside I ended up going this route with just a pair of Yamaha outdoor speakers off Amazon open box. I am still in the process of HT speakers but so far it's working pretty well. There is a Steep learning curve on the Denon Heos reciever intagration and using the apps to control both zones.
I will keep this in mind. I have a Integra DTR 5.1 so I'm somewhat familiar with dual zones. Running wires to the deck is feasible but I will consider the aforementioned. Thanks
post #26 of 90 Old 08-10-2017, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Me too, I had a great chat with the owner Joe about his speakers and how they best fit in my scenario.
post #27 of 90 Old 08-10-2017, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 382
The Denon x3300 is on clearance at authorized dealers all over the internet and looks like it does what you want.
https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_033AV...mmand&skipvs=T

The x4300 isn't on clearance now, but theoretically will be in 2-3 weeks for about $200 more. It has more features, one that might be of interest is HEOS, so you could put wireless speakers outside.
https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_033AV...N-Command.html

I just received the 2nd one yesterday, haven't had too much time to play with it, but so far I find it impressive. (Someone accidentally put it on clearance last Sunday, and I snapped one up}

Denon AVR-X4300H
Emotiva XPA Gen3 3 channel
Klipsch RP-280f LR, RP-260f SR, RP-450c, RF-82 II SB, RC-10 height
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203
TiVo Roamio, sometimes buzzy Samsung Plasma
post #28 of 90 Old 08-10-2017, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1561
Quote:

Polk Signature Series
Klipsch RP Series

Aperion
SVS
HTD
RSL
JBL
Another brand to consider from Best Buy is B&W, specifically the 600 S2 series. I have 685 S2, HTM62 Center and 686 S2s and they sound really good in my bedroom setup. All of them powered with a Marantz NR1606 receiver.

But, if I had to do it all over again, I would go with Ascend CMT340 L/C/R and HTM-200s for surrounds.
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #29 of 90 Old 08-10-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Another brand to consider from Best Buy is B&W, specifically the 600 S2 series. I have 685 S2, HTM62 Center and 686 S2s and they sound really good in my bedroom setup. All of them powered with a Marantz NR1606 receiver.

But, if I had to do it all over again, I would go with Ascend CMT340 L/C/R and HTM-200s for surrounds.
I should have included Wharfedale at Best Buy.

I've been listing speakers that have "affordable" center speakers.

I've owned B&Ws for decades and they are great but $450 for a dual 5" center in this day and age is criminal!

Geoff A. J., California
post #30 of 90 Old 08-10-2017, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
The Denon x3300 is on clearance at authorized dealers all over the internet and looks like it does what you want.
https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_033AV...mmand&skipvs=T

The x4300 isn't on clearance now, but theoretically will be in 2-3 weeks for about $200 more. It has more features, one that might be of interest is HEOS, so you could put wireless speakers outside.
https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_033AV...N-Command.html

I just received the 2nd one yesterday, haven't had too much time to play with it, but so far I find it impressive. (Someone accidentally put it on clearance last Sunday, and I snapped one up}
I'm leaning towards a Denon. Thanks for the heads up on the item going on sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page