KEF LS50 wireless for movies/TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 58 Old 08-12-2017, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 2
KEF LS50 wireless for movies/TV

Hi all

Lots of soul searching has me abandoning the idea of a premium soundbar (i have a relatively small space, town home environment).
I'd rather spend the money on a proper system.

I love the kef ls50 wireless (easy and simple solution for my space circumstances, wouldn't have to worry about powering them etc) but 80% of my use will be for movies/TV.
How much would I be sacrificing without a dedicated centre channel?
I'd hate to move on from the kef's as an option but also very skeptical that a 2-channel stereo setup would be the best idea given my habits. I have a very very serious video setup and clarity/dialogue is essential.

Basically I'm sort of obsessed with these speakers and need some objective sense...

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 08-12-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4123 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabondo View Post
Hi all

Lots of soul searching has me abandoning the idea of a premium soundbar (i have a relatively small space, town home environment).
I'd rather spend the money on a proper system.

I love the kef ls50 wireless (easy and simple solution for my space circumstances, wouldn't have to worry about powering them etc) but 80% of my use will be for movies/TV.
How much would I be sacrificing without a dedicated centre channel?
I'd hate to move on from the kef's as an option but also very skeptical that a 2-channel stereo setup would be the best idea given my habits. I have a very very serious video setup and clarity/dialogue is essential.

Basically I'm sort of obsessed with these speakers and need some objective sense...

Any advice?
That's a ton of money for a pair of speakers that would really need even a small a sub for Home Theater.

Good news is that even at relatively loud volumes an Emotiva BasX S8 for $199 would be a plus.

As you are in a townhome likely a monster sub is out of the question anyway.

If you can audition them at home with relatively easy returns, (Crutchfield has a reasonable return policy, no free, but not too expensive), so that might be a good way to go.

Assuming the speaker can be close to the screen it might work for you but there would be a lack of dispersion across the horizontal listening area if you normally have several people watching without a center.

How big is the TV and how far back do you watch/listen?

What are you using for sound at the moment?

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 58 Old 08-12-2017, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
That's a ton of money for a pair of speakers that would really need even a small a sub for Home Theater.

Good news is that even at relatively loud volumes an Emotiva BasX S8 for $199 would be a plus.

As you are in a townhome likely a monster sub is out of the question anyway.

If you can audition them at home with relatively easy returns, (Crutchfield has a reasonable return policy, no free, but not too expensive), so that might be a good way to go.

Assuming the speaker can be close to the screen it might work for you but there would be a lack of dispersion across the horizontal listening area if you normally have several people watching without a center.

How big is the TV and how far back do you watch/listen?

What are you using for sound at the moment?

Thank you very much for your reply.
I should have included more detail. Here goes:

New 77 inch oled tv.
~12 feet away. Sectional seating.
Living Room is essentially a half of a big rectangle (the other half, is dining and then open kitchen area) - but all is open, so I don't have a wall separating my living/tv area for the dining kitchen half...just the short end of the sectional L shape. Total room length about 40 feet long.

Screen is mounted. I have a low shelf unit under the tv about 6 ft wide, 1.5 ft deep and 1.5 ft high.

So long and low enough to separate bookshelf speakers by a few feet...with possible centre channel in middle. Or a great big soundbar but as you may know, the good ones costing just a few hundred short of the ls50w - hence my dilemma.

No audio equipment at moment (new place, big video guy ready to take audio seriously). Lovely wife, lovely 9 year old and lovely neighbors I like to consider - so moderate volumes. Dialogue and clarity is key.

Yes, I know the kefs aren't cheap...but wondering if that might be the easiest and most efficient way to go considering my environment/circumstances.

Many thanks again..

post #4 of 58 Old 08-12-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

New 77 inch oled tv.
Living Room is essentially a half of a big rectangle (the other half, is dining and then open kitchen area) - but all is open, so I don't have a wall separating my living/tv area for the dining kitchen half...just the short end of the sectional L shape. Total room length about 40 feet long.

Screen is mounted. I have a low shelf unit under the tv about 6 ft wide, 1.5 ft deep and 1.5 ft high.

So long and low enough to separate bookshelf speakers by a few feet...with possible centre channel in middle. Or a great big soundbar but as you may know, the good ones costing just a few hundred short of the ls50w - hence my dilemma.

No audio equipment at moment (new place, big video guy ready to take audio seriously). Lovely wife, lovely 9 year old and lovely neighbors I like to consider - so moderate volumes. Dialogue and clarity is key.

Yes, I know the kefs aren't cheap...but wondering if that might be the easiest and most efficient way to go considering my environment/circumstances.

Many thanks again..
Having tested 2 speakers last year and then reading the WhatHiFi reviews afterward I was struck by home they nailed the same impressions that I got myself, (Martin Logan LX16/Motion 15 and Q Acoustic Concept 20s).

As you are talking moderate volume levels their very very positive review of the LS50s has food for thought; they didn't think they were at their best at moderate volumes.

They said the exact same thing about the new Q350s that they also really liked.

If you can audition them at home I would strongly suggest that, for sure.

I DO know that the Q Acoustics Concept 20s with the same size main driver and numerous well deserved pro reviews out there sound great at all volume levels and are likely very easy for you to audition so I'd take a look at those along with the Concept center.

Pair those with a very nice slimline receiver from Marantz, (at Richer Sounds the 1508 is available in black or silver which is nice), and a UK made high quality subwoofer from BK Electronics and you would have a very nice, rather discrete, great sounding system that would knock your socks off for music or movies even at moderate volume levels for far less money than the wireless LS50s alone.

https://www.richersounds.com/product...av-receivers#1

https://www.richersounds.com/search/...20concept%2020

https://www.richersounds.com/search/...NCEPT%20CENTRE

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers.htm

Everything but the subwoofer would fit on that shelf very nicely and discretely.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 58 Old 08-12-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1905 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
How good it will work will depend on your Expectations. The Kef LS50 are very clear and present speakers, and should be excellent for home cinema ...but... they have limited bass ... which brings us back to expectations.

I was recently auditioning some Q Acoustic Concept 20 bookshelf speakers, and as part of the audition test, I listened to X-Men with just the Concept 20 - WOW - what a thrilling movie. The speakers were not lacking in quality at all. But, with small bookshelf speakers, you can't expect Rattle the Windows bass. With the right expectation, just those bookshelf speakers could have done a very good job on their own in a TV/Movie system.

The same with the LS50, excellent sounding speakers, as long as you keep it in perspective.

However, with an Active Speaker, there are a couple of things you absolutely need -

1.) Optical Input - Most modern TVs do not have Analog Audio Out, more commonly is a Optical Digital Audio Out. So, to mate with that you need an Optical Input.

2.) Remote Control - Changing the TV Volume will not change the volume on the Digital Out, that volume is fixed, consequently, you need an alternative way to remotely control the Volume of the TV. If the Active LS50 has a remote volume control, you are set, if it does not, you are screwed.

As a generalization, the LS50 is an great sounding Award Winning speaker ... that does what it does, but doesn't do what it doesn't do. As long as your expectation are consistent with the speaker, and as long as the Active Speaker meets the other requirements, you should be set.

http://us.kef.com/ls50-wireless

The Kef LS50-Wireless does have an Optical Input, so on that front you are good. I don't think it specifically has a Remote Control, but it does have a Control App for your Smart Phone or other Smart Devices. That might give you the remote volume control that you need. The Speaker also has wired and wireless Streaming. The LS50-Wireless also appears to have a Subwoofer Output, so if you want a bit deeper bass, adding a modest Sub should not be a problem.

The Frequency Response rating of the KEF LS50-Wireless is -

Frequency Response (±3dB) Measured at 85dB/1m
* 45Hz – 28kHz (More bass extension)
* 50Hz – 28kHz (Standard)
* 61Hz – 28kHz (Less bass extension)
- Depending on speaker settings

Frequency Range (-6dB) Measured at 85dB/1m
* 40Hz – 47kHz (More bass extension)
* 43Hz – 47kHz (Standard)
* 46Hz – 47kHz (Less bass extension)
- Depending on speaker settings

That means the bass response is high enough that it would fall in the working range of the Subwoofer Crossover, and make integration of the Sub reasonably easy. So, adding a modest Subwoofer would be possible.

A speaker with that rated bass response should have sufficient bass for music, but it is not going to have kick you in the chest bass that you might get from a full AV Surround system with a Subwoofer.

Which brings us back to your needs and expectations. If you expectations are reasonably within the bounds of what this speaker does, then I would expect you to be very satisfied with the results.

The LS50-Wireless, from the quick check that I did, does appear to have every thing you need to successfully integrate itself into a TV/Movie watching system.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 08-12-2017 at 02:48 PM.
post #6 of 58 Old 08-12-2017, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Having tested 2 speakers last year and then reading the WhatHiFi reviews afterward I was struck by home they nailed the same impressions that I got myself, (Martin Logan LX16/Motion 15 and Q Acoustic Concept 20s).

As you are talking moderate volume levels their very very positive review of the LS50s has food for thought; they didn't think they were at their best at moderate volumes.

They said the exact same thing about the new Q350s that they also really liked.

If you can audition them at home I would strongly suggest that, for sure.

I DO know that the Q Acoustics Concept 20s with the same size main driver and numerous well deserved pro reviews out there sound great at all volume levels and are likely very easy for you to audition so I'd take a look at those along with the Concept center.

Pair those with a very nice slimline receiver from Marantz, (at Richer Sounds the 1508 is available in black or silver which is nice), and a UK made high quality subwoofer from BK Electronics and you would have a very nice, rather discrete, great sounding system that would knock your socks off for music or movies even at moderate volume levels for far less money than the wireless LS50s alone.

https://www.richersounds.com/product...av-receivers#1

https://www.richersounds.com/search/...20concept%2020

https://www.richersounds.com/search/...NCEPT%20CENTRE

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers.htm

Everything but the subwoofer would fit on that shelf very nicely and discretely.

Wow.
I just read through your Q Accoustics thread - must say, I also had a bit of a "too good to be true" feeling considering their price points but no doubt they seem to have built a quality product for sure. The best of the community here all seems to agree for the most part which really surprises me.
Coincidentally I had my eye on the marantz slimline as part of my other non ls50w option (I was thinking q150 or q350 with centre).
I'll do more reading on the q acoustics but must say I'm pretty excited about these...their low profile would also help keep things from cramming up to the screen. I could do a complete 5 channel system well within my budget including the receiver. I'm assuming to just go directly for the concept 20's for mains vs the other bookshelf models?..

Thanks again - to you as well Steve/bluewizard. What a great community here
post #7 of 58 Old 08-12-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is not clear to me - you said you loved the LS50, but you did not say you HAD THEM? Do you have them?

If you can consider a full 5.1 system or some variation of that, then we will need a working budget.

I was under the impression that you were CONSIDERING the LS50-Wireless.

The Concept 20 are indeed a very sweet speakers, very impressive, but they will require an external amp. Which brings us back to working budget.

Review: Q Acoustic 3020, Concept20, & 3050

As well as a full 5.1 system, also consider a Stereo system, especially as it seems you are in a limited space.

Your entire available space appears to be 40ft deep, but how wide is the room, and is the TV screen on the side, or on the end of that 40ft space?

I would not consider the Marantz Slimline, not much power, though a very compact amp. However for similar money you can get an AV Amp with some real power and more features.

Also, can we get confirmation of what Country you are in? I saw mentions of both CrutchField (USA) and Richer Sounds (UK). In the UK, if you happen to be there, you can get some fantastic deals on Yamaha Stereo amps, far less than they sell for here in the USA or even less than the EU. Richer's has fantastic prices on Yamaha Stereo Amps.

Steve/bluewizard
post #8 of 58 Old 08-12-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 911
The center is very important for movies/TV. If you go with the passive LS50s you can buy an extra single unit to use as a center channel, it sounds like it should fit under your TV on that shelf.

In that case you'd need to also get a receiver to power them, but that would make source switching easier anyway, plus allow you to take advantage of lossless audio tracks from blu-rays and UHD Blu-Rays. Plus, then you could easily integrate a subwoofer to fill in the bottom octaves.

I'm guessing budget isn't a big deal if you have the dosh for a 77" OLED.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #9 of 58 Old 08-12-2017, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
It is not clear to me - you said you loved the LS50, but you did not say you HAD THEM? Do you have them?

If you can consider a full 5.1 system or some variation of that, then we will need a working budget.

I was under the impression that you were CONSIDERING the LS50-Wireless.

The Concept 20 are indeed a very sweet speakers, very impressive, but they will require an external amp. Which brings us back to working budget.

Review: Q Acoustic 3020, Concept20, & 3050

As well as a full 5.1 system, also consider a Stereo system, especially as it seems you are in a limited space.

Your entire available space appears to be 40ft deep, but how wide is the room, and is the TV screen on the side, or on the end of that 40ft space?

I would not consider the Marantz Slimline, not much power, though a very compact amp. However for similar money you can get an AV Amp with some real power and more features.

Also, can we get confirmation of what Country you are in? I saw mentions of both CrutchField (USA) and Richer Sounds (UK). In the UK, if you happen to be there, you can get some fantastic deals on Yamaha Stereo amps, far less than they sell for here in the USA or even less than the EU. Richer's has fantastic prices on Yamaha Stereo Amps.

Steve/bluewizard

No - do not own the ls50w or any other audio equipment. Just the tv and an empty bench (description above).

I had a chance to listen to the ls50w and liked them very much - what also attracted me to them was that it was a 2 birds with one stone opportunity as it would solve the power problem too.

So, I'm open to options...which is why the q acoustics seem very interesting (i also assumed they would be fine with the slimline power capabilities). It's just that I really liked the kefs and would love to be convinced by someone that they would work for a 80% movie/tv useage profile.

Sorry, total Space is 40 ft long and 15 feet wide. Think of my tv/living room being the one half of that (but obviously open to the other end) -so the Tv/sitting distance is across the 15 ft width on the one side. About 12ft true eyeballs to screen distance. I'm on the sectional now, to my right are windows and patio door...to my left is dining are and kitchen after that.

Budget is up to 3k - I am in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks again
post #10 of 58 Old 08-12-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
No - do not own the ls50w or any other audio equipment. Just the tv and an empty bench (description above).

I had a chance to listen to the ls50w and liked them very much - what also attracted me to them was that it was a 2 birds with one stone opportunity as it would solve the power problem too.

So, I'm open to options...which is why the q acoustics seem very interesting (i also assumed they would be fine with the slimline power capabilities). It's just that I really liked the kefs and would love to be convinced by someone that they would work for a 80% movie/tv useage profile.

Sorry, total Space is 40 ft long and 15 feet wide. Think of my tv/living room being the one half of that (but obviously open to the other end) -so the Tv/sitting distance is across the 15 ft width on the one side. About 12ft true eyeballs to screen distance. I'm on the sectional now, to my right are windows and patio door...to my left is dining are and kitchen after that.

Thanks again
Look at Visions, 2001 Audio Video, Bay Bloor Radio, or East Hamilton Radio for speakers and AVRs. Sonic Boom Audio is a dealer for SVS (our subwoofer options are severely limited in Canada, even if you wish to build your own).
post #11 of 58 Old 08-13-2017, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 699
If you like the Kefs than go with them. The biggest problem I see with the Kef wireless is volume control. Using your phone would be a pain IMHO. You could go with the passive version LS50 and use an amp/receiver.

I work in this industry and use a lot of sound bars but in three of my systems at home I use a stereo it 2.1 system. They give much better sound quality then ANY sound bar I have worked with. Dialogue has never been a problem but the speakers are not that far apart being a little wider than the TV or TV stand. For situations where you are not going to do a surround system I think a stereo/2.1 is a better solution than a sound bar for quality of sound.
post #12 of 58 Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow.
I just read through your Q Accoustics thread - must say, I also had a bit of a "too good to be true" feeling considering their price points but no doubt they seem to have built a quality product for sure. The best of the community here all seems to agree for the most part which really surprises me.
Coincidentally I had my eye on the marantz slimline as part of my other non ls50w option (I was thinking q150 or q350 with centre).
I'll do more reading on the q acoustics but must say I'm pretty excited about these...their low profile would also help keep things from cramming up to the screen. I could do a complete 5 channel system well within my budget including the receiver. I'm assuming to just go directly for the concept 20's for mains vs the other bookshelf models?..

Thanks again - to you as well Steve/bluewizard. What a great community here
Despite what Steve says for your needs, crossed over to a sub, the Marantz slimline will be more than adequate IMHO.

I used a 50 watt amp with no sub to test the Concept 20s and they went VERY loud which is not something you are looking for.

I thought you might like the Concept 20, not because I think it's a better speaker than the LS50, (but it isn't far off), but because of the low profile, good looks, solid build and compact center channel.

The KEF center channels, and their speakers for that matter, tend to have a much larger profile and footprint than the compact Q Acoustics.

If you are going with 5.1 you can save a bit of money to apply towards the subwoofer by going with 3020s in Gloss Black or Gloss White.

Geoff A. J., California
post #13 of 58 Old 08-13-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again
Opps, I thought you were in the UK which is why I suggested Q Acoustics as they are actually easy to audition in person there.

That' budget is the price for a pair of powered KEFs in Canada and they could work as they do indeed have a remote control.

You will not be able to add a center if you find out later that you want one but If you really like the LS50s you should buy them.

LS50 in Canada that is passive $1699/pair, Slimline receiver from Amazon Canada is $600 and if you have trouble with power, (which I doubt as you don't listen loudly), you can add a modest but very well designed sub from Emotiva for $450 to shift power for lowest bass from the Marantz to the subwoofer amplifer in a 2.1 combination that give you great future flexibility for adding a center if you want, is still discrete in size, and has the speakers you really want for less than the powered option.

Nice thing about the little sub is that it gives you extension down to 28hz, the lowest notes on a piano, but also is downfiring so kids and pets can't mess with the speaker driver.

Sadly that is not the case with the to me idiotic design of the LS50 which comes with no speaker grills!

But while I'm a "speaker grill always on" kinda guy many member here on AVS like to go naked, so that might be OK for you but your kids will definitely want to touch those drivers.

https://www.amazon.ca/Marantz-NR1506...rantz+slimline

https://www.amazon.ca/Emotiva-Audio-...tiva+subwoofer

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 58 Old 08-13-2017, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Opps, I thought you were in the UK which is why I suggested Q Acoustics as they are actually easy to audition in person there.

That' budget is the price for a pair of powered KEFs in Canada and they could work as they do indeed have a remote control.

You will not be able to add a center if you find out later that you want one but If you really like the LS50s you should buy them.

LS50 in Canada that is passive $1699/pair, Slimline receiver from Amazon Canada is $600 and if you have trouble with power, (which I doubt as you don't listen loudly), you can add a modest but very well designed sub from Emotiva for $450 to shift power for lowest bass from the Marantz to the subwoofer amplifer in a 2.1 combination that give you great future flexibility for adding a center if you want, is still discrete in size, and has the speakers you really want for less than the powered option.

Nice thing about the little sub is that it gives you extension down to 28hz, the lowest notes on a piano, but also is downfiring so kids and pets can't mess with the speaker driver.

Sadly that is not the case with the to me idiotic design of the LS50 which comes with no speaker grills!

But while I'm a "speaker grill always on" kinda guy many member here on AVS like to go naked, so that might be OK for you but your kids will definitely want to touch those drivers.

https://www.amazon.ca/Marantz-NR1506...rantz+slimline

https://www.amazon.ca/Emotiva-Audio-...tiva+subwoofer
Yup. I have a deal on the table right now:

1. Kef ls50 wireless (powered ones): $2,400 taxes included CAD
2. Kef ls50 passive: 3 of them for $2,000 taxes included CAD
3. Q acoustics (they now deliver in canada): straight up cheap $ CAD

I'm really struggling as I know #1 is a great deal on a great pair of perfectly powered speakers but worry stereo sound for movies is a big sacrifice/compromise (you know what a 77 inch oled costs...I'd hate to sacrifice too much on audio now)
#2 is a great deal on a L_C_R setup but then I don't think the slimline would power it (and it's not 4ohm - i get the impression you audio guys go into fits with pairing those speakers with that receiver
And then the reasonable side of me says the q acoustics would serve my purposes just fine...I could spend the savings on the oppo player I just ordered.

There you have it - my master class in first world problems.
I'm all ears for opinions on 1, 2 or 3. Thanks again all.
post #15 of 58 Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup. I have a deal on the table right now:

1. Kef ls50 wireless (powered ones): $2,400 taxes included CAD
2. Kef ls50 passive: 3 of them for $2,000 taxes included CAD
3. Q acoustics (they now deliver in canada): straight up cheap $ CAD

I'm really struggling as I know #1 is a great deal on a great pair of perfectly powered speakers but worry stereo sound for movies is a big sacrifice/compromise (you know what a 77 inch oled costs...I'd hate to sacrifice too much on audio now)
#2 is a great deal on a L_C_R setup but then I don't think the slimline would power it (and it's not 4ohm - i get the impression you audio guys go into fits with pairing those speakers with that receiver
And then the reasonable side of me says the q acoustics would serve my purposes just fine...I could spend the savings on the oppo player I just ordered.

Well the Marantz Slimline specs list 4ohm capability but list no specs but Sound and Vision indicates that Marantz AVRs they have tested are conservative on their specs.

Googling around I find folks running passive LS50s with amps as small as 35watts and one of them in the AVS thread on the second to last page said his sounded great with his Slimline receiver.

Post #2285:

"By far more than enough power, especially if you are crossing over into a sub. Most non-hearing damage listening is done within the first watt or two anyway.

This whole thing about "demanding" speakers needing expensive amps to respect their quality is just audiophile tomfoolery.

I've used my LS50 with peachtree nova125 (125wpc) and Marantz nr1606 (50wpc) and both sounded exactly the same, even at very loud listening levels."

KEF LS50 Owners

As much as I love the Concept 20s I have to believe that the LS50 is a superior speaker based on reviews I've seen, (not massively so but for critical music listening I'd have to believe that is the case...for Home Theater the difference would be smaller), and if the fact that you will have no speaker grills doesn't bother you then just get the passive LS50s and run 3.0 until you have budget to add a sub.

The sub, even a small Emotiva liked I linked, will help you not only get better bass extension at your moderate volume levels but will allow your amp to run cooler.

You know you want the LS50s so reward yourself!

I think the passives would be the better choice for your use.

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 58 Old 08-13-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Marantz Slimline is a lot of money for not much amp - that is the only point I was making. Though using USA prices, here is the Marantz -

Marantz NR1608 7.2-Chan AVR, 50/ch - $750 -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642NR1...tz-NR1608.html

Here is an alternative in a Marantz -

Marantz SR5011 7.2-Chan, 100w/ch - $765 -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR5...011.html?cc=07

Why buy less when you can have more?

However, you can spend less and still get a pretty good amp -

Denon AVR-X2400H 7.2-Chan, 95w/ch - $699 -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX...N-Command.html

Yamaha Aventage RX-A770, 7.2-Chan, 95w/ch - $699 -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA...E-RX-A770.html

It is not so much about power for the sake of power, but rather value for money. Why get a low powered AVR when you can get a full size Marantz with near double the power for roughly the same price? It doesn't make sense to pay more to get less.

In general, Marantz does make good equipment, but with the Slimline 50w NR1608 being $750, and the full size 100w SR5011 being $765 ($15 more), I can't see how the SR5011 does not win.

Of course, prices will be different in Canada, but I'm simply illustrating a point. For the same money, or in some cases, for lesser money you can get a much more capable AVR in brands that are universally recognized for quality.

You do as you please, but for me, I can't now see how the SR5011 does not clearly win over the NR1608.

Now, I can speculate that for various reasons someone might choose the NR1608 over the SR5011, I just can see how that would ever be me. You make the decision that best serves you.

There are also differences between an AVR and a Stereo system. One difference is dilution, and by that I mean, 7 amps for $700 is more diluted than 2 amps for $700. Though AVR are filled with features which many might find valuable, but while fewer features, in Stereo, your money is concentrated where it matters. And there is the advantage of being able to expand to a full or partial Surround Sound in the Future. So, pluses and minuses on both sides.

However, in a reasonably good, full featured, and generally low cost Stereo Amp, -

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, AM/FM, 80w/ch, Bluetooth, Network Streaming, DAC (2xOptical, 2xCoaxial, 2xUSB-Media), Phono-In, Sub-Out, etc... - CA$699 -

https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-RN602-N...s=Yamaha+RN602

Full Specs on Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver -

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...602/index.html

Again, AVR has the advantage of Power and Full Features, a Stereo Amp has the advantage of concentrating your money on fewer components. It is a toss up as to which will serve you best.

For what it might be worth, here is a discussion of the Yamaha RN602 in another forum in which several people owned the Amp -

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new...eiver.1984978/

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 08-13-2017 at 01:26 PM.
post #17 of 58 Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It appears Emotiva now ships free to Canada so buying directly from them will obviously be higher than the US prices but most certainly cheaper than Amazon Canada (which wants a mind boggling $176 in shipping) if you decide to get one.

The BasX10 might be ideal but at your volume levels the BasX S8 would work well also IMHO.

Geoff A. J., California
post #18 of 58 Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your help everyone.
i think i've decided that 3 LS50's for 2k all-in is just too good to pass up - and it would be a good investment as i don't see myself upgrading anytime soon.

my research into the Marantz Slimline models tells me its too much of a compromise for the speaker quality i'm dealing with - and 4 ohm issue.

so now its Marantz 6011 or Denon 4200W...both about the same price in Canada - or a processor and amp (which most people recommend...but i know very little about). I will post a question for some advice in the relevant forum. but just in case anyone here has any thoughts...i'm all ears...

once again, many thanks to everyone for their advice and replies.
post #19 of 58 Old 08-14-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks for your help everyone.
i think i've decided that 3 LS50's for 2k all-in is just too good to pass up - and it would be a good investment as i don't see myself upgrading anytime soon.

my research into the Marantz Slimline models tells me its too much of a compromise for the speaker quality i'm dealing with - and 4 ohm issue.

so now its Marantz 6011 or Denon 4200W...both about the same price in Canada - or a processor and amp (which most people recommend...but i know very little about). I will post a question for some advice in the relevant forum. but just in case anyone here has any thoughts...i'm all ears...

once again, many thanks to everyone for their advice and replies.
I thought you were looking for the smallest AVR out there but as that is not the case another option you might be pleased with for more than just one reason.

One manufacturer of AVRs that is proud of their 4ohm prowess is NAD.

They are not afraid to discuss it at length unlike other manufacturers of AVRs.

https://support.nadelectronics.com/h...sclosure-Power

Here in the States their NAD T 748V2 is the same price as that slimline Marantz, so worth looking into.

Only $700 at Crutchfield Canada.

160watts into 4 ohms.

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_745T748...g&awug=1014257

Little known fact:

"Today, NAD is still driven by the same founding principles and mission to deliver true-to-source sound to discerning listeners. Headquartered near Toronto, Canada, NAD employs a team of audio engineers and enthusiasts that carry forward the legacy that Borish and Edvardsen dreamed of."

My NAD7250PE I bought in the 1990s I use daily; never been serviced.
Vagabondo likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #20 of 58 Old 08-14-2017, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I thought you were looking for the smallest AVR out there but as that is not the case another option you might be pleased with for more than just one reason.

One manufacturer of AVRs that is proud of their 4ohm prowess is NAD.

They are not afraid to discuss it at length unlike other manufacturers of AVRs.

https://support.nadelectronics.com/h...sclosure-Power

Here in the States their NAD T 748V2 is the same price as that slimline Marantz, so worth looking into.

Only $700 at Crutchfield Canada.

160watts into 4 ohms.

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_745T748...g&awug=1014257

Little known fact:

"Today, NAD is still driven by the same founding principles and mission to deliver true-to-source sound to discerning listeners. Headquartered near Toronto, Canada, NAD employs a team of audio engineers and enthusiasts that carry forward the legacy that Borish and Edvardsen dreamed of."

My NAD7250PE I bought in the 1990s I use daily; never been serviced.
Thanks so much!
I know NAD well from the higher end audio/video shops but thought they'd be way out of my price range. This looks perfect and makes me feel a lot more confident re the speakers power.
Had no idea they were local either - Canadians are very proud of their speakers but never knew NAD was from the city

Many thanks again. I'll do my research on this unit now but I may have found my perfect solution.
gajCA likes this.
post #21 of 58 Old 08-14-2017, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Another Canadian company to consider is Anthem. If you are only do 5.1 the MRX-520 is a very nice receiver and ARC is one of the best room EQs.
bluewizard likes this.
post #22 of 58 Old 08-16-2017, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Another Canadian company to consider is Anthem. If you are only do 5.1 the MRX-520 is a very nice receiver and ARC is one of the best room EQs.
Very nice AV Receivers if you can get a decent price on them, but in general they tend to be expensive. How expensive in Canada is unclear, but perhaps being a Canadian company the price will not be so bad.

Steve/bluewizard
post #23 of 58 Old 08-16-2017, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Very nice AV Receivers if you can get a decent price on them, but in general they tend to be expensive. How expensive in Canada is unclear, but perhaps being a Canadian company the price will not be so bad.

Steve/bluewizard
Coincidentally (or maybe not) the Anthem mrx520 and NAD 758 (go Canada go) are the same price - around $1600.

So I guess based on popular advice here, these are my short list.

Not sure if anyone here is running 3 ls50's on one of these but I'm all ears. I understand a sub will help keep things safe but I'm in a townhome so heavy bass is not really appropriate (and I certainly don't have the room)
post #24 of 58 Old 08-16-2017, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Coincidentally (or maybe not) the Anthem mrx520 and NAD 758 (go Canada go) are the same price - around $1600.

So I guess based on popular advice here, these are my short list.

Not sure if anyone here is running 3 ls50's on one of these but I'm all ears. I understand a sub will help keep things safe but I'm in a townhome so heavy bass is not really appropriate (and I certainly don't have the room)
If a member had no problems with a 50 watt Marantz either one of those will work even better.

I think the Anthem has better EQ, but likely you won't even be using that in 3.0.

The NAD straight up says it is 4 ohm stable so not sure about the Anthem; you might want to e'mail them.

Geoff A. J., California
post #25 of 58 Old 08-16-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

New 77 inch oled tv.

Many thanks again..
The LS50 at 12ft in a large room will not be loud enough. I understand keeping relationships with neighbors good. This would definitely do that, as your neighbors will never hear your system.

They might be tonally on point, but they'll REALLY dislike going much past conversation level in a "great room" style space. The LS50, in my opinion, is an excellent small space speaker.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB2000 - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #26 of 58 Old 08-17-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
The LS50 at 12ft in a large room will not be loud enough. I understand keeping relationships with neighbors good. This would definitely do that, as your neighbors will never hear your system.

They might be tonally on point, but they'll REALLY dislike going much past conversation level in a "great room" style space. The LS50, in my opinion, is an excellent small space speaker.
His goal is low to medium volume levels.

I have a pair of 5.25" speakers in my 400 sq/ft front room with two small 8" subs and the can play loud enough to drown out all conversation at 20 feet.

100db at 10 feet is no issue whatsoever.

He'll be fine.
Vagabondo likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #27 of 58 Old 08-17-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
His goal is low to medium volume levels.

I have a pair of 5.25" speakers in my 400 sq/ft front room with two small 8" subs and the can play loud enough to drown out all conversation at 20 feet.

100db at 10 feet is no issue whatsoever.

He'll be fine.

Using my own experience, my single 6" standmounts in a similar sized room as the one he's describing MIGHT hit 100db at 12 feet, but they certainly aren't linear at that level. In my 12x12x8 office space though, they sing.

You may very well be right. I just wanted to let him know what kind of limitations, realistically, a compact standmount has in a large space. I perhaps could have been more tactful.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB2000 - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE

Last edited by adrummingdude; 08-17-2017 at 11:59 AM.
post #28 of 58 Old 08-17-2017, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Using my own experience, my single 6" standmounts in a similar sized room as the one he's describing MIGHT hit 100db at 12 feet, but they certainly aren't linear at that level. In my 12x12x8 office space though, they sing.

You may very well be right. I just wanted to let him know what kind of limitations, realistically, a compact standmount has in a large space. I perhaps could have been more tactful.
That's ok...i have done a lot of research and read a lot here to learn about making the right decisions...I'm asking for advice and appreciate anything constructive very much. Like I said, I've invested a lot on my video/tv and want to do it justice.

For what it's worth, I spent time with both powered and passive ls50s at my local shop before making the decision to go with the ...the room was much larger than mine and they sounded a lot louder than I would ever play them.

I've also come to learn that a sub will help a lot in terms of keeping the pressure off the amp (Which is my biggest concern in terms of making the right choice). I will do a little digging for a good, smal sub.
post #29 of 58 Old 08-17-2017, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I've been using the Kef's attached to optical on my TV since December. I replaced a Yamaha Aventage receiver and 5.1 Chane speaker setup with the Kef's for both home theater and music. I did it to minimize and have a cleaner setup which it certainly does do.
The Kef's do come with a remote, not sure why people think otherwise. I don't like it very much so replaced it with a Logitech Harmony 650 which does have these speakers in their database.
My TV is a Samsung JS9000 with a one connect box. I have a 4th Get Apple TV and the latest top end Roku model attached via HDMI and the one connect box connected to the Kef's via optical. I would recommend getting an iFI SPIDF purifier between your TV and the Kef's as it really cleans up the TV optical signal and provide clear and more detailed sound. It's a no brainer at $149.
A lot of people feel they don't need a subwoofer with the Kef's . I'm one of them but your mileage may vary.
I also have a SonicOrbiter attached by ethernet and then USB to the Keys to use with Roon. It sounds amazing.
post #30 of 58 Old 08-17-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's ok...i have done a lot of research and read a lot here to learn about making the right decisions...I'm asking for advice and appreciate anything constructive very much. Like I said, I've invested a lot on my video/tv and want to do it justice.

For what it's worth, I spent time with both powered and passive ls50s at my local shop before making the decision to go with the ...the room was much larger than mine and they sounded a lot louder than I would ever play them.

I've also come to learn that a sub will help a lot in terms of keeping the pressure off the amp (Which is my biggest concern in terms of making the right choice). I will do a little digging for a good, smal sub.
PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts 28hz $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8
200watts 27hz $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10
300watts 26hz $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12, (extension from Brent Butterworth measurement)
350watts 30hz $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound and Vision review)
250watts 22hz $423 HSU VTF 1 MK3
300watts 18hz $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound and Vision Review)
300watts 19hz $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R
350watts 18hz $604 HSU VTF2 MK5, (verified by Audioholics review)

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page