Definitive Technology BP9060 Bipolar Tower Speakers Hands-On - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By imagic
  • 2 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By alfa1
  • 1 Post By pbz06
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 08-14-2017, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,443
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11344
Definitive Technology BP9060 Bipolar Tower Speakers Hands-On

Update

Here's the full hands-on:Definitive Technology BP9000 Series 3D Immersive Audio Speaker System Hands-On


Definitive technology is known for its hybrid tower speakers that feature an integrated powered subwoofer. Last year the company updated its BP line of bipolar speakers, resulting in the BP9000 series. The company sent me a complete 7.0.4 Dolby Atmos system to review, with BP9060 towers handling the front left and right channels. The rest of the system consists of the BP9040 towers (left and right surrounds), CS9040 center channel, SR9040 surrounds, and four A90 Atmos modules that fit on top of the towers.

While the plan is to review that system, I figured it would be interesting to take a look at the BP9060s from a 2-channel context, both with and without the A90 Atmos modules. So stay tuned for the hands-on blog of the BP9060s, used in 2.0, 2.2, 2.0.2, and 2.2.2 configurations. Fun times, right?


-----
The AVS Forum Hands-On Review Process (master list of hands-on threads)
pbz06, gajCA and TuteTibiImperes like this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-03-2017 at 11:26 AM.
imagic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Nice. I recently filled my living room with 9060 towers and center (9040 surround). Can't wait to read your impressions.

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
pbz06 is online now  
post #3 of 26 Old 10-03-2017, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,443
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Nice. I recently filled my living room with 9060 towers and center (9040 surround). Can't wait to read your impressions.
Here's the full review: Definitive Technology BP9000 Series 3D Immersive Audio Speaker System Hands-On

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-03-2017 at 12:23 PM.
imagic is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 Old 10-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Member
 
tman1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I couldnt put the BP9040's for surround so I have the SR9040's, I have a mixed atmos with SVS Prime elev for rear atmos and A90's with my BP 9060s for front. Also a CS9060 center and PSA s1801 sub. So I have 5.1.4.

System: Marantz SR6012, Samsung UN75MU9000F TV, Samsung UBD-M9500 UHD Player
Sound: 5.1.4, Front DT BP9060, Center DT CS9060, Rears DT SR9040, Front Atmos DT A90, Rear Height SVS Prime Elevation, Sub: PSA S1801
Speaker Wire: Straightwire, HDMI: Monster
tman1991 is online now  
post #5 of 26 Old 10-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I have mine set up the traditional way, with only the speaker wire and power chord plugged in. I set them up as "small" on the AVR with crossover at 40hz with my stand alone sub (HSU VTF15-MK2) to compliment it and reinforce the low frequencies and obviously the LFE channel. The sub is optimally placed and the whole system EQ'ed (Audyssey XT32).

For the BP9060 sub dial in the back, what should I be looking for when considering "tonal balance"? I left it at the midpoint and ran Audyssey, should I leave it alone?

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
pbz06 is online now  
post #6 of 26 Old 10-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Member
 
tman1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have mine at midpoint also.. But I have my Fronts and Center set as Large. Audyssey suggested large also. I do have the sub to set to LFE+Main also.

My room is so open and non-standard that any tonal balance is not gonna happen. I'm happy i figured out to place 10 speakers in it!.

System: Marantz SR6012, Samsung UN75MU9000F TV, Samsung UBD-M9500 UHD Player
Sound: 5.1.4, Front DT BP9060, Center DT CS9060, Rears DT SR9040, Front Atmos DT A90, Rear Height SVS Prime Elevation, Sub: PSA S1801
Speaker Wire: Straightwire, HDMI: Monster
tman1991 is online now  
post #7 of 26 Old 10-03-2017, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,443
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
I have mine set up the traditional way, with only the speaker wire and power chord plugged in. I set them up as "small" on the AVR with crossover at 40hz with my stand alone sub (HSU VTF15-MK2) to compliment it and reinforce the low frequencies and obviously the LFE channel. The sub is optimally placed and the whole system EQ'ed (Audyssey XT32).

For the BP9060 sub dial in the back, what should I be looking for when considering "tonal balance"? I left it at the midpoint and ran Audyssey, should I leave it alone?
That's what I did and in most cases is the best approach. But let's say you had a 2-channel system or some sort of streamer/amp without room correction or EQ hooked up instead, then you tweak the controls in addition to messing with speaker positioning.

Using Audyssey, forget it. What you did is exactly what you should do.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 10-03-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
truwarrior22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
How did Dirac work out with the bipolar speakers? Seems like there would be a lot of adjustments due to the any DSP delay in the woofer amps and bipolar mid and high drivers.
truwarrior22 is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 10-03-2017, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,443
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11344
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post
How did Dirac work out with the bipolar speakers? Seems like there would be a lot of adjustments due to the any DSP delay in the woofer amps and bipolar mid and high drivers.
I did not see Dirac Live results that would be described as markedly different from conventional speakers. I saw the usual effects of my room, and post Dirac I saw very well controlled speaker behavior. Here's the front left speaker...



I kind of thought that the bipolar nature of the speakers would be a bigger factor in positioning or in measurement or just in general, but it wasn’t. In fact, I can say that I often forgot that was even a feature of the speakers

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-03-2017 at 05:37 PM.
imagic is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 10-03-2017, 07:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have front 2 BP9040s with atmos, center CR9060, surround SR 9080 and a Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 subwoofer. What is the recommended crossover and settings by you guys? Run Audyssey and set Front and center Speakers small, crossover 40?
BenneyM is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 10-04-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
Posts: 8,987
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 708
so elevation speakers would work optimally with DTS X as well? I know they[DTS] don't seem to recommend it.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!


Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 10-04-2017, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,443
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11344
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
so elevation speakers would work optimally with DTS X as well? I know they[DTS] don't seem to recommend it.
I'm not going to get into the debate over the efficacy of the approach when using another format. I don't see how the end result is going to be all that different. Anyhow, not a huge concern given the dominance Atmos has established in 3D immersive audio.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
Posts: 8,987
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'm not going to get into the debate over the efficacy of the approach when using another format. I don't see how the end result is going to be all that different. Anyhow, not a huge concern given the dominance Atmos has established in 3D immersive audio.
I wasn't looking for a debate I was simply looking for opinions based on experience since I'm trying to decide which way should I go:elevation or ceiling speakers.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!


Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,443
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11344
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I wasn't looking for a debate I was simply looking for opinions based on experience since I'm trying to decide which way should I go:elevation or ceiling speakers.

IMO, it's usually best to go with actual ceiling speakers unless there are reasons you cannot, namely that installation is not practical or allowed.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-05-2017 at 05:41 AM.
imagic is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Falconsfan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 307
My only concern or issue with the 9000 series is the small drivers. A lot of Def Tech owners and fans feel as if DT went backwards. Why would they put 4.5” drivers in these big ol’ towers? ..and 5.25” drivers in a $1,700 Tower? They use to put (4) 6.5” drivers in them. You can’t deny the laws of physics. You can only get so much bass or performance (output) out of 4.5-5.25” drivers. It’s disappointing... I really hope the next new line has changes...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds x 4 * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs x 2 * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
Falconsfan71 is online now  
post #16 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,443
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
My only concern or issue with the 9000 series is the small drivers. A lot of Def Tech owners and fans feel as if DT went backwards. Why would they put 4.5” drivers in these big ol’ towers? ..and 5.25” drivers in a $1,700 Tower? They use to put (4) 6.5” drivers in them. You can’t deny the laws of physics. You can only get so much bass or performance (output) out of 4.5-5.25” drivers. It’s disappointing... I really hope the next new line has changes...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On thought is that the towers themselves are only 6" wide, so 6.5" drivers would not work.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Falconsfan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
On thought is that the towers themselves are only 6" wide, so 6.5" drivers would not work.


Yes.. but.. so make them wider like they use to...?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds x 4 * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs x 2 * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
Falconsfan71 is online now  
post #18 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,443
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
Yes.. but.. so make them wider like they use to...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Given that Definitive Technology is all about squeezing performance in a slick, minimalist package, going wide is probably as good for sales as making a phone or laptop thicker.

The upshot is 4.5" is a great size for a midrange and of course these speakers have built-in subs that also handle some of the bass a regular woofer would normally handle. So, to that end, dual 4.5" drivers are just fine, depending on the crossover point. As long as they are not excursion-limited, that is.

Anyhow, it's important to remember that there are many other speaker options out there, meaning there's a ton of tower options with 6.5" and 8" woofers. Part of the point of being Definitive Technology is repackaging stuff so that it looks slicker than the competition while still delivering great sound, but that—like most good design—comes at a premium.
pbz06 and Falconsfan71 like this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-05-2017 at 07:56 AM.
imagic is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Member
 
alfa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
My only concern or issue with the 9000 series is the small drivers. A lot of Def Tech owners and fans feel as if DT went backwards. Why would they put 4.5” drivers in these big ol’ towers? ..and 5.25” drivers in a $1,700 Tower? They use to put (4) 6.5” drivers in them. You can’t deny the laws of physics. You can only get so much bass or performance (output) out of 4.5-5.25” drivers. It’s disappointing... I really hope the next new line has changes...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the old Def Tech stuff as much as anybody, but I am puzzled by some of the criticisms of the 8000 and 9000 series towers based on such things as driver size and weight. Revel puts a single 5.25 mid driver in its F208's, which are universally praised as accurate and great sounding speakers. These retail for $5,000 a pair, $1,600.00 more the BP 9800's. Why is it disappointing for Def Tech to use 5.25 mid drivers but not Revel? Isn't what matters how speakers measure, sound, and look? The 9000 series (especially the 9080) have an admirably flat frequency response, have received rave professional reviews for their sound(see the latest Soundstageaccess review, and Marc's review here for example) , and are very attractive. The 9080's measure flatter than the venerable BP 7000sc, which was chosen as the 19th greatest speaker of all time by Audiophile magazine I think. I guess my overall point is that that there is a lot more that goes into making a great speaker than mid-driver size, and I think Def Tech has done a great job with the 9000 series based on objective measurements and how they sound and look - just my 2cents.
Falconsfan71 likes this.
alfa1 is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Falconsfan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Definitive Technology BP9060 Bipolar Tower Speakers Hands-On

You have a good point... @alfa1

I do wish the 9040 or 9060 (shorter towers than the 9080) had the 5 1/4” drivers! I really like the 9080 but man those would be big in the living room on each side of the tv!

Also, and maybe someone else can chime in ( @imagic maybe), how do the Atmos modules really work? How do they really sound compared to height or overhead speakers? I have a flat 11’ high ceiling in my living room.. How would that work for me? And how do you wire them up?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds x 4 * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs x 2 * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
Falconsfan71 is online now  
post #21 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
josh6113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
I love the old Def Tech stuff as much as anybody, but I am puzzled by some of the criticisms of the 8000 and 9000 series towers based on such things as driver size and weight. Revel puts a single 5.25 mid driver in its F208's, which are universally praised as accurate and great sounding speakers. These retail for $5,000 a pair, $1,600.00 more the BP 9800's. Why is it disappointing for Def Tech to use 5.25 mid drivers but not Revel? Isn't what matters how speakers measure, sound, and look? The 9000 series (especially the 9080) have an admirably flat frequency response, have received rave professional reviews for their sound(see the latest Soundstageaccess review, and Marc's review here for example) , and are very attractive. The 9080's measure flatter than the venerable BP 7000sc, which was chosen as the 19th greatest speaker of all time by Audiophile magazine I think. I guess my overall point is that that there is a lot more that goes into making a great speaker than mid-driver size, and I think Def Tech has done a great job with the 9000 series based on objective measurements and how they sound and look - just my 2cents.
Very well said...I myself own the 9060's and before them the 8060's...both of them sound fantastic...another note on definitives drivers are they are not just supported at the outer edges of the driver but the inner as well.Allowing them to not only move more air but have longer excursion.This makes them sound like they are bigger than they are.The only thing I do not like is the sock look...lol.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
josh6113 is online now  
post #22 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,443
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
You have a good point... @alfa1

I do wish the 9040 or 9060 (shorter towers than the 9080) had the 5 1/4” drivers! I really like the 9080 but man those would be big in the living room on each side of the tv!

Also, and maybe someone else can chime in ( @imagic maybe), how do the Atmos modules really work? How do they really sound compared to height or overhead speakers? I have a flat 11’ high ceiling in my living room.. How would that work for me? And how do you wire them up?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are so many variables, it's just crazy to draw too many conclusions. The Atmos modules work. A well-executed in-ceiling install will beat the reflected-sound approach. But, in a room that works well with reflected sound, that can be better than (let's say) inexpensive in-ceiling speakers.

But if you are willing to hand high-quality speakers up high, how can you expect modules to compete?

Anyhow, these modules work, and in particular are good at preventing leakage so you really do hear sounds as if coming from the ceiling. But their output is going to be limited and having physical speakers up there lets you use a lower crossover point than what works well with Atmos-enabled designs.

In other words, what's best really does depend on circumstance. At least the BP9040s and BP9060s are designed so you can choose.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,443
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11344
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post
Very well said...I myself own the 9060's and before them the 8060's...both of them sound fantastic...another note on definitives drivers are they are not just supported at the outer edges of the driver but the inner as well.Allowing them to not only move more air but have longer excursion.This makes them sound like they are bigger than they are.The only thing I do not like is the sock look...lol.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Thanks for pointing out that displacement—which is what really matters when it comes to driver size and SPL—is achievable through either more excursion or more surface area.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
josh6113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Thanks for pointing out that displacement—which is what really matters when it comes to driver size and SPL—is achievable through either more excursion or more surface area.
Sure thing...this little tidbit of info is what alot of people either not know or forget about.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
josh6113 is online now  
post #25 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Member
 
alfa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
You have a good point... @alfa1

I do wish the 9040 or 9060 (shorter towers than the 9080) had the 5 1/4” drivers! I really like the 9080 but man those would be big in the living room on each side of the tv!

Also, and maybe someone else can chime in ( @imagic maybe), how do the Atmos modules really work? How do they really sound compared to height or overhead speakers? I have a flat 11’ high ceiling in my living room.. How would that work for me? And how do you wire them up?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I have 8060 towers in my main HT setup (I still have my 7006's in my guest-room setup) and while I was blown away by how good the 9080's sounded, my wife would kill me if I brought those huge towers into the family room, and I don't think the 9060's are a big enough upgrade to justify the expense.


I have the A60 atmos modules on my front 8060 towers, and in-ceiling Def Tech UIW 55's for my top rear atmos speakers for a 5.1.4 system. The A60's definitely work on my 8 foot ceiling, and the A90's are supposedly a big improvement, so I suspect you could get a good result with them, but I agree with Marc that in/on ceiling is the way to go for the best Atmos experience if you can.
alfa1 is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
I love the old Def Tech stuff as much as anybody, but I am puzzled by some of the criticisms of the 8000 and 9000 series towers based on such things as driver size and weight. Revel puts a single 5.25 mid driver in its F208's, which are universally praised as accurate and great sounding speakers. These retail for $5,000 a pair, $1,600.00 more the BP 9800's. Why is it disappointing for Def Tech to use 5.25 mid drivers but not Revel? Isn't what matters how speakers measure, sound, and look? The 9000 series (especially the 9080) have an admirably flat frequency response, have received rave professional reviews for their sound(see the latest Soundstageaccess review, and Marc's review here for example) , and are very attractive. The 9080's measure flatter than the venerable BP 7000sc, which was chosen as the 19th greatest speaker of all time by Audiophile magazine I think. I guess my overall point is that that there is a lot more that goes into making a great speaker than mid-driver size, and I think Def Tech has done a great job with the 9000 series based on objective measurements and how they sound and look - just my 2cents.
I'm with you, man. I just gloss over those posts. I see it in every thread about anything....you would think that technology and quality get worse and worse. Same thing in sports, cars, food, generational kids, lol. Everything was better in the good ol days.

DefTech makes quality high end stuff, period. They didn't forget how to make speakers even though Sandy left. They don't get worse once best buy sells them.

All the tests, data and readings, and EARS, suggest these are still top notch speakers.
Falconsfan71 likes this.

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
pbz06 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
bp9060 , Definitive Technology , dolby atmos , tower speakers.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off