Atmos Height speaker placement - angled walls - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Oregon Chris
  • 1 Post By Aurylian
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By darthray

post #1 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Atmos Height speaker placement - angled walls

Folks - thanks for the wealth of knowledge that this forum offers.

I've looked for the answer and can't find it. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.... my media room has the angled walls at the top. Can I put the 4 atmos height speakers on this angle (position 2 in the picture) or can they only go on the horizontal part of the ceiling (position 1)? I hope that I am able to attach the picture.

I'm concerned that if I place them on the horizontal part of the ceiling that I won't have much distance between them.

Thanks in advance for your help.
- Maury
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Media Room Atmos Height.JPG (101.8 KB, 50 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Use this guide from Dolby as a reference:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf

I suspect you'll have a better experience with position 1.
darthray likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
How tall is the ceiling and how wide is the middle (non-angled) part of the ceiling?

Sanjay

post #4 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

The non angled part of the ceiling is 8' wide. The room is 13w x 17.

Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane1 View Post
The non angled part of the ceiling is 8' wide. The room is 13w x 17.

Thanks for your help.

The room is 10' tall
post #6 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 03:26 PM

Considering the ceiling height, I would mount the height speakers on the angled part of the ceiling. The wider spread will make it easier the hear left vs right separation above you (where our human hearing isn't so good). Both pairs should be around 45 degrees elevation up from listener ear height (roughly 6 feet forward & rearward of your main listening position). Are you doing in-ceiling speakers?

Sanjay
post #7 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Considering the ceiling height, I would mount the height speakers on the angled part of the ceiling. The wider spread will make it easier the hear left vs right separation above you (where our human hearing isn't so good). Both pairs should be around 45 degrees elevation up from listener ear height (roughly 6 feet forward & rearward of your main listening position). Are you doing in-ceiling speakers?
Hey Sanjay

Yes, I'll be putting all of the height and surrounds (less front two) speakers in the walls / ceiling. I plan on towers for the two front speakers.

Another new-guy questions... I had a GoldenEar demo that was amazing. I do wonder, though, how important it is to have that high of quality speakers for the height, sides, and back speakers -- as they seem to carry less of the performance / sound. Perhaps I could save a little money on these speakers and spend more on towers and sub. Your thoughts?

- Maury
post #8 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It might be somewhat ugly, but have you considered mounting GoldenEar Supersat 3 speakers on ball mounts on the angled walls? You could still run the cables inside the walls, but you could then direct the height speakers any way you wanted, and possibly optimize the effect. This would let you spread the height speakers wide, but still get the directionality you might want.

Another odd option that would only work with your room is to mount some directional height speakers back to back in the middle of your ceiling and then point them sideways to the angled section for reflection down where they should be. The benefit of that would be that they might appear to be coming from a height greater than your ceiling.
sdurani likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 04:17 PM

Maury,

Consider getting in-wall/in-ceiling speakers that have an angled baffle or have a point-able tweeter that can be aimed towards the listening area. Better than having your speakers pointing at locations where there are no listeners.

There are a couple ways of thinking about sound quality. Even in this day and age of surround sound, the front soundstage remains critical. That's where your attention will be focused, whether watching a movie or listening to music. As such, it helps to have the best quality speakers up front. However, modern movie mixes no longer have just subtle ambience in the surrounds. If you listen to Atmos mixes like Gravity or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, you will hear dialogue coming out of the overhead speakers. That dialogue shouldn't suddenly sound different when it pans outside the front soundstage.

So it's a balancing act. You want better speakers up front. But you don't want the surrounds and heights to be so different sounding that you notice it when sounds move outside the front soundstage. For the sake of consistency, I decided a long time ago that it was just easier for me to use the same bookshelf speaker at every location, though I don't expect others to do the same. Do try to get surrounds and heights that sound as close as possible to your front 3 speakers. Some consistency is better than none.
darthray likes this.

Sanjay
post #10 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Great advice. Thanks very much!

- Maury
post #11 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Chris View Post
Use this guide from Dolby as a reference:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf

I suspect you'll have a better experience with position 1.

Octane1
Quoted for your info
Click on the link provided in the quote that I am responding to, lots of good Info, and information's to digest.
But worth-it

Position 1, was also my first choice after looking at the attachment.
It can be done, following your link.
The angles of the walls, should not affect, or a very minimal the sound from the ceiling.
It might not be perfect, due to restriction of studs placement in the ceiling, but can be work very close to the installation guideline for most case.

Ray
post #12 of 14 Old 08-17-2017, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Maury,

Consider getting in-wall/in-ceiling speakers that have an angled baffle or have a point-able tweeter that can be aimed towards the listening area. Better than having your speakers pointing at locations where there are no listeners.

There are a couple ways of thinking about sound quality. Even in this day and age of surround sound, the front soundstage remains critical. That's where your attention will be focused, whether watching a movie or listening to music. As such, it helps to have the best quality speakers up front. However, modern movie mixes no longer have just subtle ambience in the surrounds. If you listen to Atmos mixes like Gravity or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, you will hear dialogue coming out of the overhead speakers. That dialogue shouldn't suddenly sound different when it pans outside the front soundstage.

So it's a balancing act. You want better speakers up front. But you don't want the surrounds and heights to be so different sounding that you notice it when sounds move outside the front soundstage. For the sake of consistency, I decided a long time ago that it was just easier for me to use the same bookshelf speaker at every location, though I don't expect others to do the same. Do try to get surrounds and heights that sound as close as possible to your front 3 speakers. Some consistency is better than none.

Totally agree, it is a balancing act

The 3 front should be Always the main priority, as you said.
Then the surrounds, and ceiling duty speakers.
If one can afford the cost, due to budget constriction/room size and so on...

I will use my-self as an example.
I like towers over bookshelf, so I bought 2.
Then the matching Center.
For the surrounds, I got 4 matching bookshelf's for my front 3, to make-it 7.2.
Sound perfect

Then came Atmos
Wanted to buy the original Bookshelf's, to make a perfect match.
But, No longer available in Black Gloss, only the new ones, a little bit brighter.

So, what to do?
I choose another brand, that was also a little bit brighter, but also on the neutral side, with a perfect look for what I wanted to achieve (not inside the ceiling, speakers on a mount).

Should work out very good, will find out when the AVP is ready to go

Ray
sdurani likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-18-2017, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Totally agree, it is a balancing act

The 3 front should be Always the main priority, as you said.
Then the surrounds, and ceiling duty speakers.
If one can afford the cost, due to budget constriction/room size and so on...

I will use my-self as an example.
I like towers over bookshelf, so I bought 2.
Then the matching Center.
For the surrounds, I got 4 matching bookshelf's for my front 3, to make-it 7.2.
Sound perfect

Then came Atmos
Wanted to buy the original Bookshelf's, to make a perfect match.
But, No longer available in Black Gloss, only the new ones, a little bit brighter.

So, what to do?
I choose another brand, that was also a little bit brighter, but also on the neutral side, with a perfect look for what I wanted to achieve (not inside the ceiling, speakers on a mount).

Should work out very good, will find out when the AVP is ready to go

Ray
Ray

Thanks very much for your advice. It is nice having a blank slate - but it is also proving to be quite a challenge.... AV receiver, screen, wires, projectors, etc.

- Maury
post #14 of 14 Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane1 View Post
Ray

Thanks very much for your advice. It is nice having a blank slate - but it is also proving to be quite a challenge.... AV receiver, screen, wires, projectors, etc.

- Maury

Maury

I can give You one more Advice, coming from an Old Timer, that did Do Lots of mistake, back in days
And had to re-buy, to correct those mistake, very expensive in the long run.
You came here for advise, and it is a very good place to start, you will get Many suggestions, some better than others, but you can do research on line.

Right now, your are more than likely very anxious to get everything going!

Do one step at the time.

-Speakers wires, no problem, look on line to get a cheap reel (the only thing to for, if it will be use for inside wall/ceiling, is to buy something rated for those, only a few more $).
-AVR and front 3 speakers, get the best you can afford at moment, with the concentration on the front 3 speakers (AVR, can move very fast, but speakers are for a long time).
-Do not rush into the choice of your speakers.
-For surrounds and all other speakers, those are Gravy on the Fries

Just take your time.
Next thing you know, a few years went by, and you have your dream system

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page