Help with old speakers from year 2000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 2 Post By Spleen
  • 2 Post By Spleen
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By gene c353
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By zieglj01

post #1 of 28 Old 08-17-2017, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Help with old speakers from year 2000

Hi all,

I have a couple of question regarding my old 5.1 setup from the year 1999/2000, back in the days when DVD were just out....

I don't recall the exact model of my speaker as I have been living abroad since 2002 and I didn't use them since then (they are well stored in a box in my parents attic thus).

Anyway I've tried to search in internet to see if I can recognize my speaker model and I think this is what I've used to setup for my 5.1:

A couple of Mordaunt Short: https://picclick.co.uk/Mordaunt-Shor...457517807.html,
A couple of Energy Speakers (this is not the model I have but it looks similar): https://htpr.cnet.com/p/?u=http://i....7Nvxg_o_4LJXfQ
A central speaker from Kodak, and I huge Sub-woofer from Energy which I cannot find online both of them very expensive for that time as all the other speakers (I am sorry if I can't give you more precise details).

Now my question is, compare to today price and quality, how good still are this speakers for a 5.1 setup?

I finally settle down and I was thinking to ship them on a plane and reuse them again for my new 5.1 setup.
Should I buy a new set and sold them instead of ship them, which will eventually cost me something?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by yukinok25; 08-17-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-17-2017, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
The Mordaunt Short is fine for the front left and right, and the Energy bookshelves you can use as surrounds -- however, I would look for a used Mordaunt Short center to go with your front speakers. Something like the Mordaunt Short Avant 905C
yukinok25 likes this.

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #3 of 28 Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The Mordaunt Short is fine for the front left and right, and the Energy bookshelves you can use as surrounds -- however, I would look for a used Mordaunt Short center to go with your front speakers. Something like the Mordaunt Short Avant 905C
Thanks for the help, while I was looking for the Short Avant 905C online I found my center speaker, it wasn't the Kodak it was the KEF Coda C:

http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/55/63/39/dsc_0010.jpg

I remember it was really heavy for a center speaker.

How is this for quality?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 28 Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Are your speakers stored in a climate controlled attic? They would not last long in an attic in my part of the country.
yukinok25 and leecreek like this.
post #5 of 28 Old 08-17-2017, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
Are your speakers stored in a climate controlled attic? They would not last long in an attic in my part of the country.
Omg, I didn't think at all about that...not at all actually.

The winter is between 0 to 5 degree Celsius, the summer is not really humid (maybe for a short period of time) but this year peaked at 40 Celsius.

Can this kind of temperature damage a speaker?

post #6 of 28 Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukinok25 View Post
Omg, I didn't think at all about that...not at all actually.

The winter is between 0 to 5 degree Celsius, the summer is not really humid (maybe for a short period of time) but this year peaked at 40 Celsius.

I would think it could especially the driver cones and surrounds material. Time itself deteriorates things but your 17 year old speakers are not terribly old. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on this will chime in.
yukinok25 and leecreek like this.
post #7 of 28 Old 08-18-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help, while I was looking for the Short Avant 905C online I found my center speaker, it wasn't the Kodak it was the KEF Coda C:

http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/55/63/39/dsc_0010.jpg

I remember it was really heavy for a center speaker.

How is this for quality?
You can use that center for now. If your system is working OK and you like it, then enjoy it.
yukinok25 likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #8 of 28 Old 08-18-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:

If you take them out of storage and it is cold -- let them warm up at room temperature before playing them.
yukinok25 likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #9 of 28 Old 08-18-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 4122 Post(s)
Liked: 2626
Quote:
Hi all,

I have a couple of question regarding my old 5.1 setup from the year 1999/2000, back in the days when DVD were just out....

I don't recall the exact model of my speaker as I have been living abroad since 2002 and I didn't use them since then (they are well stored in a box in my parents attic thus).

Anyway I've tried to search in internet to see if I can recognize my speaker model and I think this is what I've used to setup for my 5.1:

A couple of Mordaunt Short: https://picclick.co.uk/Mordaunt-Shor...457517807.html,
A couple of Energy Speakers (this is not the model I have but it looks similar): https://htpr.cnet.com/p/?u=http://i....7Nvxg_o_4LJXfQ
A central speaker from Kodak, and I huge Sub-woofer from Energy which I cannot find online both of them very expensive for that time as all the other speakers (I am sorry if I can't give you more precise details).

Now my question is, compare to today price and quality, how good still are this speakers for a 5.1 setup?

I finally settle down and I was thinking to ship them on a plane and reuse them again for my new 5.1 setup.
Should I buy a new set and sold them instead of ship them, which will eventually cost me something?

Thanks in advance!
How much to ship would you think?

What country are you in?

Quality speakers, at least in the US, are so inexpensive, (think Q Acoustics 2000 or 3000 series), that buying new might not be that much more than shipping speakers that may have undergone temperature swings from freezing to 150+ degrees Farenheit in an attic.

Mind you, auto speakers do that and manage to survive so who knows.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 28 Old 08-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
MS 902's were all the rage back then. I've been enjoying a pair or two for many years. I'll always have a pair on hand, even if I'm not using them. Just feel better knowing that the're there. The 902i's are supposed to be just a bit better, but they are hard to find here in the US. If you're in Europe, the 905c should be found for a song. Always a bunch on ebay/europe. But it's not quite as good as the 902's. Always sounded a bit thin to me. But it may sound fine to you.

After a very long search/wait, I finally found and bought a pair of Mordaunt Short Aviano 6's. Just about perfect tonal balance for me and my room. Now the hunt is on for an Aviano center. I wish more ebay/europe sellers would ship to the US.

Anyway, hook up what you've got and see if they sound good to you. If not, then start changing out the offending pieces. BTW, most MS speakers are pretty well built so I bet they survived hibernation quite well.
zieglj01 likes this.
post #11 of 28 Old 08-19-2017, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
How much to ship would you think?

What country are you in?

Quality speakers, at least in the US, are so inexpensive, (think Q Acoustics 2000 or 3000 series), that buying new might not be that much more than shipping speakers that may have undergone temperature swings from freezing to 150+ degrees Farenheit in an attic.

Mind you, auto speakers do that and manage to survive so who knows.
I settled down in Japan, but the market for speakers seems different from Europe.
I actually checked some prices online and I didn't expect were so cheap compare to 17 years ago! Which is obvious... I am behind with this things for a while...

Is the Q Acoustics 2000/3000 series a good choice for music/movies? How is the quality compare to my current speakers? The 5.1 set in UK is not expensive at all, but I don't know if I can find it here.
I have seen a lots of Yamaha, Onkyo and Sony speakers in the stores maybe I should check I professional shop if I found one:

http://www.yodobashi.com/category/22...t=5.1&word=5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 View Post
MS 902's were all the rage back then. I've been enjoying a pair or two for many years. I'll always have a pair on hand, even if I'm not using them. Just feel better knowing that the're there. The 902i's are supposed to be just a bit better, but they are hard to find here in the US. If you're in Europe, the 905c should be found for a song. Always a bunch on ebay/europe. But it's not quite as good as the 902's. Always sounded a bit thin to me. But it may sound fine to you.

After a very long search/wait, I finally found and bought a pair of Mordaunt Short Aviano 6's. Just about perfect tonal balance for me and my room. Now the hunt is on for an Aviano center. I wish more ebay/europe sellers would ship to the US.

Anyway, hook up what you've got and see if they sound good to you. If not, then start changing out the offending pieces. BTW, most MS speakers are pretty well built so I bet they survived hibernation quite well.
I loved the MS902 and I really loved my setup years ago, but at this point since the prices are not that bad, I am thinking to sell everything and buy new speakers?

Last edited by yukinok25; 08-19-2017 at 01:26 AM.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-19-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Is the Q Acoustics 2000/3000 series a good choice for music/movies? How is the quality compare to my current speakers? The 5.1 set in UK is not expensive at all, but I don't know if I can find it here.
I have seen a lots of Yamaha, Onkyo and Sony speakers in the stores maybe I should check I professional shop if I found one:

I loved the MS902 and I really loved my setup years ago, but at this point since the prices are not that bad, I am thinking to sell everything and buy new speakers?
Higher-end Sony's and Mission speakers can be nice

The Q Acoustics 3020 speakers are good -- and this is my take on them
Q Acoustics 3020 bookshelf -- My Insight
yukinok25 likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #13 of 28 Old 08-19-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I settled down in Japan, but the market for speakers seems different from Europe.
I actually checked some prices online and I didn't expect were so cheap compare to 17 years ago! Which is obvious... I am behind with this things for a while...

http://www.yodobashi.com/category/22...t=5.1&word=5.1

I would think shipping to Japan would be horribly expensive but, really, I have no idea.

I found one store in Japan selling Q Acoustics but all are sold out and the 3010i that is available are $366 so not inexpensive.

As Zieglj says though, there are many fine Eastern brands including the ones he mentioned.

My Ushers are made in Taiwan for example, but that is a very expensive brand.

Here's one resource that might be of value to you.

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G0201/P0/A10/E/0-10/S6/
yukinok25 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 28 Old 08-19-2017, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Higher-end Sony's and Mission speakers can be nice

The Q Acoustics 3020 speakers are good -- and this is my take on them
Q Acoustics 3020 bookshelf -- My Insight
Thanks! Well written post, the 3020 speakers seems very good even thus I don't mind to spend something more for better quality.

Quote:
I would think shipping to Japan would be horribly expensive but, really, I have no idea.

I found one store in Japan selling Q Acoustics but all are sold out and the 3010i that is available are $366 so not inexpensive.

As Zieglj says though, there are many fine Eastern brands including the ones he mentioned.

My Ushers are made in Taiwan for example, but that is a very expensive brand.

Here's one resource that might be of value to you.

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G0201/P0/A10/E/0-10/S6/
Shipping it's way too expensive, not worth it, I was thinking to bringing them with me on the plane next time I'll go back to my hometown, but only the 902S and the small Energy speakers.

But as of now, I am really keen to sell them and buy new speakers, my budget is around 800$ for the 5.1 set, any suggestions for this price with a good quality?
post #15 of 28 Old 08-20-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! Well written post, the 3020 speakers seems very good even thus I don't mind to spend something more for better quality.

Shipping it's way too expensive, not worth it, I was thinking to bringing them with me on the plane next time I'll go back to my hometown, but only the 902S and the small Energy speakers.

But as of now, I am really keen to sell them and buy new speakers, my budget is around 800$ for the 5.1 set, any suggestions for this price with a good quality?
In the US, especially if you were going to buy here and then lug them on a plane, the Q Acoustics 5.0 system plus an Emotiva BasX S8 would make a great little 5.1 system.

The satellites are impressive in that they manage to squeeze a tweeter and two 3" main drivers in the small enclosure.

https://www.qacoustics.com/home-thea...r-package.html

20 percent off with the Promo Code QED20, so $110 off.
yukinok25 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 28 Old 08-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
QED20 does not work -- but sound10 does for10%
yukinok25 likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #17 of 28 Old 08-20-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
QED20 does not work -- but sound10 does for10%
Very good.
yukinok25 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #18 of 28 Old 08-20-2017, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In the US, especially if you were going to buy here and then lug them on a plane, the Q Acoustics 5.0 system plus an Emotiva BasX S8 would make a great little 5.1 system.

The satellites are impressive in that they manage to squeeze a tweeter and two 3" main drivers in the small enclosure.

https://www.qacoustics.com/home-thea...r-package.html

Thanks for the suggestion!

Aren't the speakers too small? Are they loud and clear enough?
Sometimes I like to push the volume up

There is no Sub-woofer in the set, am I right?
post #19 of 28 Old 08-21-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:

I would look at this -- use code sound10
https://www.qacoustics.com/home-thea...re-system.html
yukinok25 likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #20 of 28 Old 08-21-2017, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would look at this -- use code sound10
https://www.qacoustics.com/home-thea...re-system.html
Thanks it seems really good, I'll read a few reviews online and decide.

Hope I can find it here!
post #21 of 28 Old 08-21-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You are correct that, in general, the smaller the speaker the smaller the potential dynamics; you'd have to read the reviews and perhaps owner comments to see if they play loud enough for you.

They have a recommended max amp size of 100 watts which implies to me that they can play quite loud for their size.

I think the fact that it doesn't come with a sub is a huge advantage; especially in the States where you can buy less expensive subs than the Q Acoustics which outperform it.

Geoff A. J., California
post #22 of 28 Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You are correct that, in general, the smaller the speaker the smaller the potential dynamics; you'd have to read the reviews and perhaps owner comments to see if they play loud enough for you.

They have a recommended max amp size of 100 watts which implies to me that they can play quite loud for their size.

I think the fact that it doesn't come with a sub is a huge advantage; especially in the States where you can buy less expensive subs than the Q Acoustics which outperform it.
Excellent, I was thinking actually to buy a separate sub like I did years ago, the Q Acoustics are very interesting.

I'll try to sell my speakers and see how it goes, thank you so much guys for your help, can't wait to go back to hear movies with cinema sounds again!
post #23 of 28 Old 08-22-2017, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Guys, today I went to a shop and tried this speakers, they seems really good from what I have heard.

Do you know them?:

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/s...509/index.html

I have tried the 509 and 309 series, the price its in my range.
post #24 of 28 Old 08-22-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Guys, today I went to a shop and tried this speakers, they seems really good from what I have heard.

Do you know them?: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/s...509/index.html

I have tried the 509 and 309 series, the price its in my range.
Do not know about their over-seas International products -- however if you like them, then you like them -- your call
yukinok25 likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #25 of 28 Old 08-22-2017, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do not know about their over-seas International products -- however if you like them, then you like them -- your call
Generally speaking, how good is Onkyo? Better/worse than Q Acoustic?
post #26 of 28 Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Virtually no secondary info out there on them but if they sound good to you then I think your search is over!

This guy has tested a lot of speakers and found some Onkyos he liked so no reason you shouldn't.

https://www.cnet.com/news/onkyos-ter...ower-speakers/
yukinok25 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #27 of 28 Old 08-22-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Based on the Onkyo's that I have listened to in the pass, the Q Acoustics are better speakers.
yukinok25 likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #28 of 28 Old 08-22-2017, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Virtually no secondary info out there on them but if they sound good to you then I think your search is over!

This guy has tested a lot of speakers and found some Onkyos he liked so no reason you shouldn't.

https://www.cnet.com/news/onkyos-ter...ower-speakers/
Quote:
Based on the Onkyo's that I have listened to in the pass, the Q Acoustics are better speakers.
Thanks again guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
uestion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page