New speakers for home office - size and placement concerns - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Leon O
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By k1ngf1sh

post #1 of 29 Old 08-17-2017, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
New speakers for home office - size and placement concerns

I just moved, and I'm looking to get some new floor standing speakers for my office solely for music listening. I'd like to switch from my previous 2.1 setup (bookshelves and a sub) to a 2.0 setup, and I'm debating about what speakers to get.

Ditching the sub, I want to make sure that whatever I end up with gets me solid bass response. I've read through many threads on the subject of best 2.0 floor standers within my budget ($700-800ish per pair), and I've got it narrowed down to a handful:

Polk S60
Polk S55
Wharfedale Diamond 10.7
ELAC F6
maaaaaybe PSB Imagine X2T if I can stretch my budget without my wife killing me.

I also thought about the JBL 580 and the Klipsch RP-260F.

One of my biggest concerns is room size and acoustics. See attached pics. My office is 10ft wide, 13ft deep, and has 9ft ceilings. I sit about as close to the back wall as I can with the speakers opposite me. My floors are solid hardwood and pretty much the only room treatment I'm going to have is a 3x5ft high pile area rug directly in front of the speakers. Currently I have my bookshelves on stands with the fronts about 2ft from the wall, and I won't be able to have anything much further out due to a rather rambunctious 2 year old daughter.

Are any of the speakers I listed above too big for this space? Are any too small? Too bright? Should I look into any other models in particular?

Thanks all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Office1.jpg (466.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Office2.jpg (367.4 KB, 41 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 820
post #3 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Boston M350 on serious close-out pricing -- You will get strong deep bass in that room to around 35 hz -- and their dimple Dome tweeter is really nice
https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoust...ds=Boston+m350

And yes, you can use them in that room.

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-18-2017 at 07:46 AM.

post #4 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams2 View Post
That isn't a very big room. I'd stick with bookshelf speakers for more placement options, but get some with 6.5" woofers for decent bass response. If you up your budget by a couple hundred and get something like the Dynaudio Emit M20's. Or within the same budget the B&W 685S2's, which I've owned, and when they're about 12" from the wall they have a balanced sound with nice full bass, about 9" from the wall and they sounded like there was a subwoofer with them, more bass than you'd probably want on a steady basis. I'd personally put long shelves off of the wall, to have the speakers about a foot away, with the speakers right up to the edge of the shelf. Very strong floating shelves would be nice, if not then strong brackets. Sticking with bookshelf speakers will get you better all around sound quality for the same money as the towers.
I hear what you're saying, but I really want to try the tower route for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Boston M350 on serious close-out pricing -- You will get strong deep bass in that room to around 35 hz -- and their dimple Dome tweeter is really nice
https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoust...ds=Boston+m350

And yes, you can use them in that room.
Wow, those are very intriguing! Good lookin out.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4142 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngf1sh View Post
I just moved, and I'm looking to get some new floor standing speakers for my office solely for music listening. I'd like to switch from my previous 2.1 setup (bookshelves and a sub) to a 2.0 setup, and I'm debating about what speakers to get.

Ditching the sub, I want to make sure that whatever I end up with gets me solid bass response. I've read through many threads on the subject of best 2.0 floor standers within my budget ($700-800ish per pair), and I've got it narrowed down to a handful:

Polk S60
Polk S55
Wharfedale Diamond 10.7
ELAC F6
maaaaaybe PSB Imagine X2T if I can stretch my budget without my wife killing me.

One of my biggest concerns is room size and acoustics. See attached pics. My office is 10ft wide, 13ft deep, and has 9ft ceilings. I sit about as close to the back wall as I can with the speakers opposite me. My floors are solid hardwood and pretty much the only room treatment I'm going to have is a 3x5ft high pile area rug directly in front of the speakers. Currently I have my bookshelves on stands with the fronts about 2ft from the wall, and I won't be able to have anything much further out due to a rather rambunctious 2 year old daughter.

Are any of the speakers I listed above too big for this space? Are any too small? Too bright? Should I look into any other models in particular?

Thanks all.
Out of that list I'd lean towards the Wharfedales.
k1ngf1sh likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Boston M350 on serious close-out pricing
They're $300 more than last December. But a staggering $1,300 less than last April!
post #7 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgieroo View Post
They're $300 more than last December. But a staggering $1,300 less than last April!
They also sell for $399 each -- I have not seen them for $399 a pair -- they were going $799 a pair on close out. And they are built good weighing 55.9 lbs each

They are $699 a pair (with the shipping built in the price) -- priced to move out -- almost a no-brainer and not easy to trump for the current price point. Use to list for $2499 a pair when they first came out.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #8 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Polk S60
Polk S55
Wharfedale Diamond 10.7
ELAC F6

Out of your list the JBL Studio 580 -- the Studio 5 series has no blaring nasal harshness, sharpness, or brightness. JBL put a lot of work in them.

I lean towards the JBL or Boston M350 (their dimple-dome tweeter is nice)

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #9 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 118
What are your sound preferences and what sonic characteristics would you like to change from your current 2.1 system? For instance, if you want rolled off highs (softer) to help mitigate reflections in a fairly hard room, than you may want to stick with soft dome tweeters such as those in the Wharfedale Diamonds. On the other hand, if highs in your current setup and room are too flat, then you may want to look at towers with brighter tweeters (such as aluminum domes).

For a more neutral sounding speaker with detailed highs, I'd consider throwing the Emotiva Airmotive T1 speakers into the mix. Note - there are not many reviews available on the T1's yet, so there are not many posts about them yet.
post #10 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's probably best to go listen to as many speakers as possible in your price range, bookshelf and towers. Especially larger towers in a smaller room. What if there's too much bass? Stuff socks in the ports I guess but kind of a waste. And your daughter can still poke at or knock over tower speakers.
Unfortunately, listening to the speakers on my short list is going to be difficult considering their age/scarcity/etc. That's why I'm looking to the experience of folks on the forum for recommendations given my requirements.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from a 2.1 setup. I'm not ditching my sub because of too much bass, I'm ditching it for simplicity's sake in my smaller office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon O View Post
What are your sound preferences and what sonic characteristics would you like to change from your current 2.1 system? For instance, if you want rolled off highs (softer) to help mitigate reflections in a fairly hard room, than you may want to stick with soft dome tweeters such as those in the Wharfedale Diamonds. On the other hand, if highs in your current setup and room are too flat, then you may want to look at towers with brighter tweeters (such as aluminum domes).

For a more neutral sounding speaker with detailed highs, I'd consider throwing the Emotiva Airmotive T1 speakers into the mix. Note - there are not many reviews available on the T1's yet, so there are not many posts about them yet.
I like a warm sound, wide sound stage, clear and detailed, and a deep low end. My current bookshelves are Chane A1RXCs, and I love the way they handle highs and practically disappear into the soundstage. More than the sonic characteristics, what I'm looking to change most about my current setup is just simplicity. My office is much smaller than my old one, and I just want the sub out of the way/out of the equation. I listen to a lot of electronic music, and the Chanes just don't do it for me without a sub involved.

I haven't noticed a lot of problems with reflections in the room, despite the hard surfaces, but I also wouldn't consider the Chanes especially bright in the first place.

I've checked out the Emotiva Airmotive T1s a little bit, but honestly, I just hate the way they look. I could never be happy with them, regardless of sound. I know a lot of people may scoff at that and think function is always more important than form, but I can't spend my money on something that's going to sit right in front of me every day that I think is that ugly.
post #11 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 820
One thing you may want to consider in your choice to get towers is the position of the left speaker, right up against the wall. Using bookshelf speakers, there may be some issues with the imaging, but since they do not reproduce the lower frequencies, there are no issues with muddy bass.

With tower speakers, in the same configuration, you may have problems with the bass response. With a separate sub, you can position it for best bass response in the room. That will no longer be the case with towers. Given your stated goal of extended bass, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Just something to consider before pulling the trigger.
post #12 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I was just going to say something similar. With towers in a certain position they are what they are, good or bad. Myself I have large bookshelf speakers playing full range and then have a small sub playing with them. That way I could pick a good location for bass response, and can also adjust the frequency and volume of bass. I have the sub turned down to about 60hz and just past quarter volume. I just wanted very full and accurate bass, not boomy.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
One thing you may want to consider in your choice to get towers is the position of the left speaker, right up against the wall. Using bookshelf speakers, there may be some issues with the imaging, but since they do not reproduce the lower frequencies, there are no issues with muddy bass.

With tower speakers, in the same configuration, you may have problems with the bass response. With a separate sub, you can position it for best bass response in the room. That will no longer be the case with towers. Given your stated goal of extended bass, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Just something to consider before pulling the trigger.
Quote:
I was just going to say something similar. With towers in a certain position they are what they are, good or bad. Myself I have large bookshelf speakers playing full range and then have a small sub playing with them. That way I could pick a good location for bass response, and can also adjust the frequency and volume of bass. I have the sub turned down to about 60hz and just past quarter volume. I just wanted very full and accurate bass, not boomy.
I'm definitely aware that the perfect solution would be bookshelves and a (well-placed) sub, and that two towers is a compromise. I just want to get the best result possible with that compromise. A poorly-placed sub in this small room is also a compromise and it takes up a lot of space to boot. I'm not the first to run a 2.0 tower setup for music, I won't be the last.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
I've checked out the Emotiva Airmotive T1s a little bit, but honestly, I just hate the way they look. I could never be happy with them, regardless of sound. I know a lot of people may scoff at that and think function is always more important than form, but I can't spend my money on something that's going to sit right in front of me every day that I think is that ugly.
They are about as attractive as a stealth bomber or the Batmobile. But... the look is growing on me.

I had the Wharfedale 10.1s and have not heard the 10.7s, but I imagine the 10.7s should be quite warm with a relatively full bass. The Wharfedale highs should be pleasant, but probably will not have the detail and clarity of the Chanes.
k1ngf1sh likes this.
post #15 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
I'm definitely aware that the perfect solution would be bookshelves and a (well-placed) sub, and that two towers is a compromise. I just want to get the best result possible with that compromise. A poorly-placed sub in this small room is also a compromise and it takes up a lot of space to boot. I'm not the first to run a 2.0 tower setup for music, I won't be the last.
Actually, you could have 2 small subs under bookshelf speakers if you wanted, and it'd take up no more room than towers. But if you've already decided on tower speakers than I hope it works out well. Unless you can up your budget much more, I'd recommend the Elac F6's, they're great speakers for the money, and I found them a little on the warm side that you're looking for.
post #16 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I'm definitely aware that the perfect solution would be bookshelves and a (well-placed) sub, and that two towers is a compromise. I just want to get the best result possible with that compromise. .
your room is big enough for towers -- and towers can work out fine for your desire and needs -- get you a nice set and enjoy
k1ngf1sh likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #17 of 29 Old 08-18-2017, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon O View Post
They are about as attractive as a stealth bomber or the Batmobile. But... the look is growing on me.

I had the Wharfedale 10.1s and have not heard the 10.7s, but I imagine the 10.7s should be quite warm with a relatively full bass. The Wharfedale highs should be pleasant, but probably will not have the detail and clarity of the Chanes.
Lol they would definitely fit in with Batmobile.

In all my reading, the 10.7s were probably the most-recommended tower at this price point for a 2.0 music setup. There's a mint set on eBay in Ohio for $550 but I'm not sure the seller will ship them.

Quote:
your room is big enough for towers -- and towers can work out fine for your desire and needs -- get you a nice set and enjoy
Thanks, man. Appreciate the input and encouragement. Very tempted with those BA M350s...
post #18 of 29 Old 08-19-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lol they would definitely fit in with Batmobile.

In all my reading, the 10.7s were probably the most-recommended tower at this price point for a 2.0 music setup. There's a mint set on eBay in Ohio for $550 but I'm not sure the seller will ship them.

Thanks, man. Appreciate the input and encouragement. Very tempted with those BA M350s...
Where are you located; some AVS members are absolute CL wizards and have found amazing deals locally for many newer members looking to buy used.

Geoff A. J., California
post #19 of 29 Old 08-19-2017, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Where are you located; some AVS members are absolute CL wizards and have found amazing deals locally for many newer members looking to buy used.
I'm in Denver. Lakewood, specifically.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-19-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully the CL wizards will have some ideas for you shortly!

Zieglj and Doe Doe come to mind.

Geoff A. J., California
post #21 of 29 Old 08-19-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This guy sounds desperate and if close by might be worth a listen.

$439 new so I'd certainly offer less than he wants.

https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/d/...209150377.html

EDIT: he's listing at $339 which he "says" is $150 below msrp which is true, however, they are currently selling for $439 so I'd offer him $289 and see if he bites...assuming you like the sound of course.

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 08-19-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #22 of 29 Old 08-19-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3703 Post(s)
Liked: 2655
Quote:

Polk S60
Polk S55
Wharfedale Diamond 10.7
ELAC F6

The Polk, JBL, and Klipsch would all have some risk of brightness, especially with a hardwood floor---I'd go with the Wharfedales myself.

If you would be getting them from Music Direct, the 230 towers are the same price as the 10.7 and might be preferable because they are down-ported so they won't need as much rear clearance as the rear-ported 10.7s ... in a small room and running full-range without a subwoofer, this is a big consideration.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #23 of 29 Old 08-19-2017, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The Polk, JBL, and Klipsch would all have some risk of brightness, especially with a hardwood floor---I'd go with the Wharfedales myself.

If you would be getting them from Music Direct, the 230 towers are the same price as the 10.7 and might be preferable because they are down-ported so they won't need as much rear clearance as the rear-ported 10.7s ... in a small room and running full-range without a subwoofer, this is a big consideration.
Hmm, but would the down-ported woofer be overall better than the better low-end extension on the 10.7s? I wish the 240s were cheaper.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-21-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3703 Post(s)
Liked: 2655
Quote:
Hmm, but would the down-ported woofer be overall better than the better low-end extension on the 10.7s? I wish the 240s were cheaper.
Well, just make sure you'll be able to position the 10.7 at least 18" in front of a wall (24" and up if needed) to avoid boominess especially at higher volumes since you'll be playing them full-range.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #25 of 29 Old 08-25-2017, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thread update: I was able to score an open-box set of Boston Acoustics M350s for a price that was too good to pass up. So far I am loving them! The low end is just what I was looking for, and the sound stage is great, and I've barely even tweaked their positioning or broken them in. Many thanks to @zieglj01 for the heads up/recommendation.

Crappy cellphone pic, including my still-for-sale Chanes that will hopefully find a new home soon:
zieglj01 likes this.
post #26 of 29 Old 08-25-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Thread update: I was able to score an open-box set of Boston Acoustics M350s for a price that was too good to pass up. So far I am loving them! The low end is just what I was looking for, and the sound stage is great, and I've barely even tweaked their positioning or broken them in. Many thanks to @zieglj01 for the heads up/recommendation.
Continue to enjoy them -- they are for real -- many do not understand that they are a serious good deal.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #27 of 29 Old 08-26-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Crappy cellphone pic, including my still-for-sale Chanes that will hopefully find a new home soon:
You should sell the Chanes to Zieglj for a song so that he can test them and see if indeed they are the best speaker ever and the answer to every question regarding sound value.

Enjoy the towers.

Are you able to get them further apart?

BA recommends 6-12 feet apart and 2 feet from a corner but as close as 3" from the wall behind.

Geoff A. J., California
post #28 of 29 Old 08-26-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
You should sell the Chanes to Zieglj for a song so that he can test them and see if indeed they are the best speaker ever and the answer to every question regarding sound value.
I am confident that the Chanes are good -- however they would have to do a lot sound-wise, to convince me that they are head and shoulders above the others around the same price point -- I would like to audition them someday.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #29 of 29 Old 08-26-2017, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Enjoy the towers.

Are you able to get them further apart?

BA recommends 6-12 feet apart and 2 feet from a corner but as close as 3" from the wall behind.
$200 + shipping and Paypal fees! Pretty great deal if you're close by. I'd give @zieglj01 a helper's discount. They are a truly great speaker - if I was sticking with a 2.1 setup there's no way I'd get rid of them.

As for the M350s, I'm not really able to get them further apart without putting myself way outside the center listening position. They're at about 5' apart right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page