Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #1 of 65 Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
5.1 system 9K budget

Looking for suggestions on ideas for a 5.1 system...Here are the parameters....Front main floor standing...Center on wall...Surrounds in ceiling...hefty subwoofer...Less than 9K even better! Let me know your thoughts...I will be using a Yamaha adventage receiver with a 5 channel Emotiva amplifier to drive the system...Room size 18x 24...Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 08-18-2017, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 65 Old 08-18-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4142 Post(s)
Liked: 2639
Nice but that rear ported center will not be happy "on wall."

Geoff A. J., California

post #4 of 65 Old 08-18-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
A few questions

Listening distance?
Do you want "reference" levels or the same sound level as a theater?
Any limits on the size, finish, weight or finish of the speaker? (wood finish, basic black etc.)

Since you are using an 18x24 room and have no issues spending nine large, I'd advise looking at two subwoofers to give better sound quality and dispersion around the room. Yes, you'll gain volume with two VS one also, that helps with keeping the distortion low, prevents beating a lone subwoofer to death and the odd insane Sci-Fi flick won't stress the system as much.

You have a good start by getting the equipment out of the way, good luck with your speaker search.
post #5 of 65 Old 08-18-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Look at JTR and PSA for your needs.
http://jtrspeakers.com/
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/
post #6 of 65 Old 08-18-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
I can't argue with the Paradigm speakers. The prestige line sounds fantastic and would be my first choice if I had the budget.
I agree with the above about going with dual subs. A pair of HSU VTF-3 MK5 would be an excellent choice unless you're in Canada and are limited to SVS in which case I'd go with dual SVS PC/PB-12 plus.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HPDual.html
alan_ct likes this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 65 Old 08-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_ct View Post
Looking for suggestions on ideas for a 5.1 system...Here are the parameters....Front main floor standing...Center on wall...Surrounds in ceiling...hefty subwoofer...Less than 9K even better! Let me know your thoughts...I will be using a Yamaha adventage receiver with a 5 channel Emotiva amplifier to drive the system...Room size 18x 24...Thanks!
The Prestige speakers are pretty sensitive, I really don't think you'll need a power amp, the Adventage will drive them very loud. I think you'd also be much happier with a center not mounted on a wall if possible.

Last edited by Williams2; 08-18-2017 at 01:42 PM.
post #8 of 65 Old 08-18-2017, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Would fitment / placement issues prevent you from running 3 floorstanders instead of two floorstanders and an on wall center?

Also, do you have a need for brand names that you recognize or are you ok going the internet direct route?
post #9 of 65 Old 08-18-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Can that paradigm be wall mounted?

This is a living room theater I assume?

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Salk Songtower RT
post #10 of 65 Old 08-18-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
...hefty subwoofer...
Speakers tuned for high sensitivity, not unnecessary LF extension...

JTR Speakers: 2 x Noesis 212T + Noesis 212HT + 2 x Slanted 8HT-LP + Captivator 1400 - 5% discount for 4 or more units - sale of Emo amp = ~$8000 (check shipping).

Reasonably priced custom finishes are available if you rate aesthetics.
SeanBWI likes this.
post #11 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks...I will look at all of your suggestions! Volume level will be more theater level or a bit more...The system is going to be coupled with a JVC DLA-X570 with a 138" scope screen...It is prewired for a single subwoofer so I am kind'a stuck with that. I plan on blocking the ports on the center channel. I was planning to use a power amp...always felt the sound was better and more linear than a receiver...Are the Adventage receivers amp section close in sound quality? It really is hard to pick speakers when you cant hear them that's why I go to AVS for REAL knowledge and opinions!
post #12 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

The JTR stuff looks awesome but comes with the ugly factor which I cant deal with!
post #13 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Look at PSA speakers. No rear ports so that will help if you are mounting on the wall.
Roctopuss likes this.

Sight and Sound
post #14 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
The JTR stuff looks awesome but comes with the ugly factor which I cant deal with!

I was going to say, if WAF is important check or Funk Audio.

I've had many of the popular ID brands (SVS, Salk, Seaton) think he Funk offer the best combo of looks and sound.

The wall mounting center may be a deal breaker, but since Funk is a custom shop might be worth a call.

Couple pics at the end of this page, if you care
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wha...ng-room-2.html

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Salk Songtower RT
post #15 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks...I will look at all of your suggestions! Volume level will be more theater level or a bit more...The system is going to be coupled with a JVC DLA-X570 with a 138" scope screen...It is prewired for a single subwoofer so I am kind'a stuck with that. I plan on blocking the ports on the center channel. I was planning to use a power amp...always felt the sound was better and more linear than a receiver...Are the Adventage receivers amp section close in sound quality? It really is hard to pick speakers when you cant hear them that's why I go to AVS for REAL knowledge and opinions!
Here are some high quality speakers with sealed center speakers that might be better for your application.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_12100/...osure|Acoustic Suspension

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Is there any potion to build a baffle wall and place your LCR behind an acoustically transparent screen? If so, then looks shouldn't matter as much, because you won't see the speakers...

If not, then the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower with RAAL tweeter: http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro...s/SRT/srt.html
and Sierra Horizon with RAAL: http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro...n/horizon.html could foot the bill, especially since the Horizon is front-ported...
post #17 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Center has to be above the screen...I can leave a gap of an inch or so to relieve the port if that might work. Needs to be laid out like this:
post #18 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Center has to be above the screen...I can leave a gap of an inch or so to relieve the port if that might work. Needs to be laid out like this:
Why not move the sub to the left or right and have the center on a stand centered under the screen?
Leon O likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #19 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Triad gets my vote, always sounded so cinematic to me. Silver Monitors are something to hear...
post #20 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 820
If you can wait, The new Chane series 7, an all sealed design, should be an excellent option. ETA still to be determined. It will give you high efficiency and power handling, excellent dispersion characteristics, dynamic sound, exceptional vocal clarity and no listener fatigue.

In an 18 x 24 room (assuming it's sealed), you could get away with a single subwoofer. However, if you have multiple rows of seating or a large couch with many seating positions, it will be more difficult to get even frequency response with just one sub, especially if you have a predefined spot where it is going to go (the sub tells you where it goes, not the other way around).

So, if you are seeing your situation in this description, I would seriously recommend you find a way to include two subs in the room, not just one. Front and back, kitty corner, side to side (opposite each other, somewhat offset) is usually a successful approach.
gajCA and Roctopuss like this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 08-19-2017 at 02:10 PM.
post #21 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am kinda stuck with a single sub in the center...It has been prewired that way...The system needs to be symmetrical to please the wife so a corner sub is out of the question...Also note we are using Crowson transducers in the sectional seating for added bass "stimulation" !!! I have not seen anything negative with the Paradigms so far from you guys...That's a good thing!
post #22 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Is there any potion to build a baffle wall and place your LCR behind an acoustically transparent screen? If so, then looks shouldn't matter as much, because you won't see the speakers...

If not, then the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower with RAAL tweeter: http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro...s/SRT/srt.html
and Sierra Horizon with RAAL: http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro...n/horizon.html could foot the bill, especially since the Horizon is front-ported...
Gonna' take a more in depth look at these...
post #23 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
I am kinda stuck with a single sub in the center...It has been prewired that way...The system needs to be symmetrical to please the wife so a corner sub is out of the question...Also note we are using Crowson transducers in the sectional seating for added bass "stimulation" !!! I have not seen anything negative with the Paradigms so far from you guys...That's a good thing!
You could run raceway from the subwoofer connection down to the floor, use a y-adapter, and then run the subwoofer cables behind the baseboards to subs in both front corners.

If WAF is an major factor, then you might consider something from Salk Sound who can build custom cabinets to match you tastes. I've also heard that the Salk speakers sound pretty nice too
post #24 of 65 Old 08-19-2017, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Run a pair of F18's or SubMersive's (Master/Slave) up front. You only need wire out of the wall into the Master, then a cord goes from the Master to the Slave.

https://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/p...18-f18-7829726

https://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/p...e-hpf2-7800917

That leaves about $5500 for five speakers. So add 4 PSA 210s (skip the in ceilings) and 1 210 Center. Done. Ready to rock and roll.
post #25 of 65 Old 08-20-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I figured that but thought I'd ask anyway as it is the logical path for best sound IMHO.

No easy way to raise the screen and accommodate the center on top of the sub I'm guessing.

Another option you won't like is to sell the single sub and get two to flank the center under the screen.
alan_ct likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #26 of 65 Old 08-20-2017, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

2 flanked? not a bad idea! 2500$ is my sub budget...What are a good pair of subs in this price range? Thanks...As mentioned above these http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2Dual.html How will a pair of these compare to a single SVS16 ultra?

Last edited by alan_ct; 08-20-2017 at 04:38 PM.
post #27 of 65 Old 08-20-2017, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
2 flanked? not a bad idea! 2500$ is my sub budget...What are a good pair of subs in this price range? Thanks...As mentioned above these http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2Dual.html How will a pair of these compare to a single SVS16 ultra?
You can get 2 Rythmik FV15HP's shipped for right about on budget on sale right now from Ascendacoustics site, but it looks like they took the sale down from Rythmiks' site (it was on sale there yesterday) so the sale might be over tomorrow. (I bought one of these last night, along with 3 Sierra-2s for my living room TV. )

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...bs/fv15hp.html

The HSU Dual drive you link is also a great dual sub option if you don't want to bite the bullet on the Seaton products.
alan_ct likes this.
post #28 of 65 Old 08-21-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd talk to Tom at PSA; I would imagine two V1500s would do the job for a few hundred under budget.

He's a straight shooter according to AVS members who have dealt with him.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V1500
jjackkrash likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #29 of 65 Old 08-21-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I'd talk to Tom at PSA; I would imagine two V1500s would do the job for a few hundred under budget.

He's a straight shooter according to AVS members who have dealt with him.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V1500
And while he is on the phone talking about subs, he could also mention his speaker needs.
post #30 of 65 Old 08-21-2017, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Gonn'a stick with the Paradigms and go with a pair of a pair PSA V1500s subs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page