Custom home theater cabinet - need advice, please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Which grill material would you choose in this application?
Reliable Hardware Perforated Metal 0 0%
McMaster-Carr Perforated Metal 0 0%
Acoustical Solutions Fabric 0 0%
Midwest Speaker Repair Fabric 0 0%
Guilford of Maine Fabric 1 100.00%
Other (please post) 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-18-2017, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Custom home theater cabinet - need advice, please

Hi all,

I'm in the process of designing and building a custom home theater entertainment center cabinet built-in for my den. As you can see in the sketches, I've got the speakers (green outline in the sketch; see my sig for the brand / models) integrated into the cabinet behind custom speaker grills. The final picture I loaded is of my fireplace to show the color that I'll be painting the cabinet (they'll be near each other and that color is the trim color of my whole house). So, I'll want to match the speaker grills to that color as best as I can.

I've found some perforated metal grills online, and also some white fabric grills / cloth. So, what I'd like to ask the forum is, which would you choose, a closely matched cloth or a painted perforated metal grill? My main two concerns are acoustical transparency and aesthetics. Obviously, I can match the perforated metal grills perfectly because I can paint them the exact same color as the cabinet. However, I'd assume metal is less acoustically transparent than cloth and they'd have the perforated holes in them that would look dark due to shadow behind them. As for cloth, I'm sure that would sound the most acoustically transparent and be the most uniform (no shadows), but I might not be able to match the color perfectly.

Here are a few of the ones I've been looking at. Please give your opinion on which way you would go on the grills if you were me. If perforated metal, what size holes should I choose? If there's a better vendor than the five I listed, please let me know. Also, if you have any additional design suggestions, I'm all ears! I plan for all of the electronics to go with the bottom right cabinet.

Fabrics:
Acoustical Solutions: Acoustone Speaker Grill Cloth
Midwest Speaker Repair: B-300 White Speaker Stretch Cloth
Guilford of Maine: Acoustic Textiles

Perforated Metal:
Reliable Hardware: Custom Speaker Grill - 1/16'' Dia. Staggered, White
McMaster-Carr: Staggered Hole Stainless Steel Perforated Sheets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Entertainment Center CAD.JPG (76.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Entertainment Center Render.JPG (33.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Entertainment Center Color.jpg (78.3 KB, 9 views)

Toshiba 46XV645U
Yamaha TSR-7810 AVR (Replaced Onkyo TX-SR507)
Energy C-100 Fronts
Energy C-C100 Center (Replaced Energy C-C50)
Polk RC60i Surrounds (Replaced Energy C-50)
Energy S10.3 Sub

Last edited by atbear; 08-19-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-19-2017, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Pictures weren't direct linking from Photobucket, so I just attached them to the post...

Toshiba 46XV645U
Energy C-100 Fronts
Energy S10.3 Sub
post #3 of 4 Old 08-19-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 427
That looks like a fine piece of cabinetry, but it will seriously compromise your sound. If you absolutely have to put your speakers in the cabinet, then line the cubbyholes with some batting around the speakers, ensure that there is enough room behind the speaker port, and use an acoustically transparent cloth dyed to match your paint.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2017, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
That looks like a fine piece of cabinetry, but it will seriously compromise your sound. If you absolutely have to put your speakers in the cabinet, then line the cubbyholes with some batting around the speakers, ensure that there is enough room behind the speaker port, and use an acoustically transparent cloth dyed to match your paint.
Thanks for the tips. It's pretty much the same setup I have now, only right now it's a piece of furniture entertainment center rather than a built-in cabinet. I've got the rear portholes on the speakers plugged with foam stoppers and have the speakers all the way to the front of each shelf opening. This cabinet should sound exactly the same as what I have now, which sounds really good after doing some acoustic tweaks, and of course, EQ. I'll look into putting some batting around the speakers now that they'll be behind their own doors with built-in speaker grills. Is there a particular material for the batting that you'd recommend? Same question with the fabric... is there a particular fabric that you'd recommend? Thanks again.

Toshiba 46XV645U
Energy C-100 Fronts
Energy S10.3 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page