What flat-sounding speakers to buy for sound therapy? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By BufordTJustice
  • 1 Post By darthray
  • 1 Post By l0nestar8

post #1 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What flat-sounding speakers to buy for sound therapy?

Hi!

I need a pair of speakers for sound therapy (for oversensitive hearing). I am looking for a flat or near-flat frequency response curve or something that I can equalize out. The other acoustic properties, like transient response don't matter since there will be continuous noise played back.

Durability: I need it to last about 3-5 years with 6 hour daily use. The sound level will be similar to the background noise which is traffic noise through a window, and it will be raised slowly about 34 decibels from there.

Budget: You tell me... Suggest speakers from multiple price ranges if you think it is appropriate.

My listening opportunities are limited. I would prefer buying mainly based on measurements.

What speakers do you suggest?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-noise.png
Views:	32
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	2269910  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Look at studio monitors if you want accuracy. Genelec, Neumann and JBL have their measurements easily available and measure vey well. Most of the Pro companies will also provide measurements if asked. Also, some models that are THX PM3 certified will measure well. You can also look at Soundstage.com for more comprehensive measurements than what you will find in most trade publications.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Revel makes their speakers with a flatter response than most others. Depending on the series, prices range from about $1,000/pair up to $25,000/pair.

post #4 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
I was reading the huge thread on the JBL M2 VS the Revel Salon2,

Very interesting but way overkill for background sound therapy music. They did mention this speaker as being amazingly accurate with very smooth measurements at $330 a pair shipped.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...70/cbm170.html

If you demand bass for your sound therapy, you can add subwoofers to the mix and so on.

Make sure you have some ability to measure out the room and check placement of the speakers after you install your new sound therapy system. Good luck and I hope it all works for you.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3690 Post(s)
Liked: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick_frog View Post
I need a pair of speakers for sound therapy (for oversensitive hearing). I am looking for a flat or near-flat frequency response curve or something that I can equalize out. The other acoustic properties, like transient response don't matter since there will be continuous noise played back. My listening opportunities are limited. I would prefer buying mainly based on measurements.
Another vote for the Ascend CBM-170SE. No reason to spend a dime more.

And Ascend gives you measurements galore:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...bm170meas.html
darthray and BufordTJustice like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Chane A1.4. The thermal capacity of the oversized midwoofer motor and planar tweeter are above anything else even near their price range.

And they are very flat, as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Roctopuss likes this.

Arcam AVR300, Adcom GFA-5500 (Main L+R), Acurus by Mondial A200x3 for center and surrounds, Panny BDT-500 Media Transport, Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Darbee DVP-5000S, Center and L+R is pending, pending subwoofer.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 1569
Philharmonic Audio

Philharmonic AA speakers
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Philharmonic New Philharmonitor
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/New Philharmonitor.html

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #8 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 41
JBL M2, Revel Salon2, and Ascend CBM-170SE. Note that the JBL M2 and Revel Salon2 are both over $10,000 and can play many orders of magnitude louder. The JBL M2 is designed to last decades playing all day at high volumes, but you could just buy a spare Ascend to get the same benefit. They all provide the needed measurements, which I wish all speaker manufactorers would.

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex

Last edited by genesplitter; 08-19-2017 at 09:31 AM.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Hi!

I need a pair of speakers for sound therapy (for oversensitive hearing). I am looking for a flat or near-flat frequency response curve or something that I can equalize out. The other acoustic properties, like transient response don't matter since there will be continuous noise played back.

Durability: I need it to last about 3-5 years with 6 hour daily use. The sound level will be similar to the background noise which is traffic noise through a window, and it will be raised slowly about 34 decibels from there.

Budget: You tell me... Suggest speakers from multiple price ranges if you think it is appropriate.

My listening opportunities are limited. I would prefer buying mainly based on measurements.

Thank you.
What's the source shown in the graph?

“Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me” - Gordon Holt
post #10 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4125 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Quote:
Hi!

Thank you.
As already mentioned, speaker companies touting flat frequency response with charts on their sites are Philharmonic Audio, (as low as $250/pair), and Ascend Acoustics at numerous price points but many at reasonable prices, (ie. below $500/pair).

You can pay more with some of the others mentioned but for your use I'm not sure why you would.

If you want extension below 50hz or so simply add an Emotiva BasX sub to get you into the mid 20hz range for as little as $199.

You can get a like new factory refurbished Audio Video receiver, (which gives you the option of easily incorporating a sub), for as little as $200 at Accessories4less.

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quick_Frog, best wishes on your therapy efforts. Having recently been through a couple brain surgeries and chemotherapy, I went through a couple periods where I could not filter out any extraneous sounds. It was both exhausting and stressful.

Attached is the frequency response chart for the Emotiva Airmotive B1 bookshelf speaker. It has a very flat response, but has highly detailed high frequencies. "Ribbon" type speakers such as these are often considered to provide very detailed, natural sounding highs.

As you narrow down your candidates, you should consider calling the speaker manufacturers and request to speak to their engineers or experts to discuss your situation and the ideal solutions. Most internet direct speaker companies provide excellent access to their experts.

With Chane speakers you should be able to speak directly to Jon Lane who can be very specific about the attributes of his speakers.

Also, you should try calling Dennis Murphy of Philharmonic Audio. Dennis may even be able to tweak a speaker to your exact needs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B1_Frequency_Response.pdf (24.2 KB, 8 views)
post #12 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon O View Post

Attached is the frequency response chart for the Emotiva Airmotive B1 bookshelf speaker. It has a very flat response, but has highly detailed high frequencies. "Ribbon" type speakers such as these are often considered to provide very detailed, natural sounding highs.
That looks like a smoothed response. Do you know the resolution?

“Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me” - Gordon Holt
post #13 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
That looks like a smoothed response. Do you know the resolution?
The chart was taken from the Emotive website; I do not know the resolution. However, the graph does appear to represent the frequency response that I have perceived from the B1s.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1905 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
It is really going to hinge on how many of these - $$$$$$$$$$ - you have.

Mackie, Genelec, JBL, Yamaha, and many other Studio Monitors are very high on the list though. Though given what you have said, I would avoid KRK which tend to have a bit more bass emphasis. Yamaha on the other hand are crystal clear, but a bit lean on bass, not to an extreme, and they are certainly worth considering.

https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/studio-monitors/

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Active-P...Monitors--2864

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Studio-Monitors.gc

Then we consider Size and how you will control the Monitors, by control the Monitor I mean what will be the source signal - Computer, CD, Other?

Most basic desktop monitors tend to be 5" and 5.25", so that's what I will focus on. These are going to run about $150 EACH -

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS5

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR5mk3

Genelec while good are going to be expensive -

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M030AM

However, the JBL, Yamaha, and Mackie listed above are very good, and very reasonably priced.

There are things to consider. First these are not Computer Speakers, rather they are two identical speakers each with a volume control on the back on the assumption that you will set the volume once and never touch it again. The actually volume will be controlled by the source ... say a computer. This is why your source matters; we need to determine how you will control the speakers.

Though not as flat and perfect as a Studio Monitor, these Edifier R2000DB speakers have easily accessible controls. It also has Analog and Digital inputs, 100w, 5" bass driver, Bluetooth, Remote Control - $250/pair -

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R2000...difier+R2000db

At a bit more money, EMOTIVA Monitors are worth considering -

http://emotiva.com/product/airmotiv-5s/

The only way to refine our recommendations, it to have more information.

What is the Source of the Sound?
How much money can you realistically Spend?
Where will you be in proximity to the speakers? Is this on a desktop or some other arrangement?

Certainly you want reasonably flat response, but you seem to need far above that. You insist on perfectly flat response, can you explain that a little more? The more perfect the response, the more expensive the speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 08-19-2017 at 07:17 PM.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Another vote for the Ascend CBM-170SE. No reason to spend a dime more.

And Ascend gives you measurements galore:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...bm170meas.html

Wow

This is Super Flat, from 100-10000Hz, only by a dB, or very little above/or below.
Not my frequencies range, but Impressing never less.

Ray
Zorba922 likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-21-2017, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you. I am thinking of everything that you wrote. I will give more info shortly.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-21-2017, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Wow
This is Super Flat, from 100-10000Hz, only by a dB, or very little above/or below.
Not my frequencies range, but Impressing never less.
It's even more impressive when you consider the 3rd-party measurements from the NRC. Spoiler alert! Still flat at $300/pr:

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/mea...ascend_cbm170/
darthray likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-21-2017, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0nestar8 View Post
It's even more impressive when you consider the 3rd-party measurements from the NRC. Spoiler alert! Still flat at $300/pr:

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/mea...ascend_cbm170/

Thanks for the link

The hardest part to achieve a flat line, is always the bottom/top ones.
But that said, those measurement are still very impressive, we are not talking about +/- 3 dB, but within 1dB.

Like any speakers design, something as to give, this one is the frequencies range, Very impressive never less for the price

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page