Alternatives to Klipsch R-15PM? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Alternatives to Klipsch R-15PM?

I've been considering the Klipsch R-15PM for an office setup and wonder if I am missing any alternatives with similar features. I like the versatility without the need for a receiver. I'd want the flexibility to use my turntable, wife to connect her iPhone/Pad when she works in there most days, and potentially connect audio from a PC for some light gaming.

These seem to check all the boxes for a reasonable price and I'm having a hard time finding a comparable product.

So far, the only competition I've found that appear to check the same boxes are the Audioengine HD3/6, but are more money. The Emotiva Airmotiv 5S and some other powered speakers still need a DAC, BT adapter, etc. to do the same job. At that point, I might as well buy a receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Klipsch speakers are a little bright which can cause ear fatigue in a nearfield listening environment. They have put a lot of effort in taming the brightness on the RP series which are noticeably better than lower line models.
Going the receiver route would give you more flexibility. You'll have bass management if you add a sub and you should. You'll have HDMI to connect a tv, pc, DVD and a bunch of other features.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Klipsch speakers are a little bright which can cause ear fatigue in a nearfield listening environment. They have put a lot of effort in taming the brightness on the RP series which are noticeably better than lower line models.
Going the receiver route would give you more flexibility. You'll have bass management if you add a sub and you should. You'll have HDMI to connect a tv, pc, DVD and a bunch of other features.
Yes, as I'm thinking about the potential "footprint" of this setup, the turntable is still going to require some real estate somewhere. Maybe buying a receiver is the way to go.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcclure1 View Post
I've been considering the Klipsch R-15PM for an office setup and wonder if I am missing any alternatives with similar features. I like the versatility without the need for a receiver. I'd want the flexibility to use my turntable, wife to connect her iPhone/Pad when she works in there most days, and potentially connect audio from a PC for some light gaming.

These seem to check all the boxes for a reasonable price and I'm having a hard time finding a comparable product.

So far, the only competition I've found that appear to check the same boxes are the Audioengine HD3/6, but are more money. The Emotiva Airmotiv 5S and some other powered speakers still need a DAC, BT adapter, etc. to do the same job. At that point, I might as well buy a receiver.
Amazon has them on sale right now in Cherry finish only.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Things a T-Rex Cannot Do View Post
Amazon has them on sale right now in Cherry finish only.
Yup, that is why I was doubling down on research.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
What is your total, all in budget for this setup?

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4157 Post(s)
Liked: 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcclure1 View Post
Yup, that is why I was doubling down on research.
Best Buy has them at the Amazon price so easy to try and return if not happy.

I'd buy these, ($240/pair with promo code QED20), and add an inexpensive sub as they come with a sub output.

https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf...-speakers.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page