Bookshelf speakers and amp, first time user - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-20-2017, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Bookshelf speakers and amp, first time user

I'm currently using a Logitech all in one speaker setup and need to advance the system. I'm sure its all very simple to audio veterans but to someone who has never setup a "passive" system I want to make sure I purchase everything correctly so I have no headaches during initial setup. That is where you come in.

I want to start super basic, most likely with a pair of passive speakers and an amp to get the job done. I want to make sure I purchase all of the required cables. Ideally, I would like to make this as simple as possible so I'd like to utilize banana tips on the wires. Now, besides the wires (red/black right?) that go from the speakers to the amp... the amp will have some RCA (red/white) connections right? Where does the other end of that go... I'm assuming somewhere on my PC. My PC doesn't have a "sound card" or anything of that nature, is this an issue? So it goes speaker (red/black) to amp and then amp to computer I'm assuming... but where? I'd love to have an amp with a headphone jack, is this possible on a budget or am I looking at $200+ amps only for this feature?

TL;dr - I'd like a simple setup consisting of passive speakers and an amp, utilizing banana tips if possible, and ideally an amp with a headphone jack that is budget friendly, would also like to know where the RCA cables on the amp connect to. Anything else I need to purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-20-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 528
You'd get better information if you provided more information about your PC.

Most PCs have onboard sound. The output connectors are 3.5 mm. (Same size as used for home headphones or earbuds.) The one for stereo sound is green. What sort of connection does the Logitech system use?

I'm not sure whether direct links to retail sites are permitted here. Check out the Dayton DTA-120 at Parts Express. It's a small, fairly inexpensive, class T amp. It can use a 3.5 mm input, so you could connect it to your PC with a cable with male 3.5 mm stereo connectors on both ends. It also has a headphone output jack.

You could combine them with a pair of Dayton B652 Air speakers. They are supposed to be pretty good for their price.

To connect the speakers to the amp, I suggest Amazon Basics speaker wire. Buy some inexpensive wire strippers, and loose banana plugs. For the plugs, I like Sewell Deadbolts: simple to use, and the wires won't pull out easily.

Be careful, though. You're stepping onto a slippery slope. It's easy to be drawn into endless upgrades, costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Some of the better Logitech all-in-ones give pretty good sound, for their price.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-20-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4306 Post(s)
Liked: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctaylor88 View Post
I'm currently using a Logitech all in one speaker setup and need to advance the system. I'm sure its all very simple to audio veterans but to someone who has never setup a "passive" system I want to make sure I purchase everything correctly so I have no headaches during initial setup. That is where you come in.

I want to start super basic, most likely with a pair of passive speakers and an amp to get the job done. I want to make sure I purchase all of the required cables. Ideally, I would like to make this as simple as possible so I'd like to utilize banana tips on the wires. Now, besides the wires (red/black right?) that go from the speakers to the amp... the amp will have some RCA (red/white) connections right? Where does the other end of that go... I'm assuming somewhere on my PC. My PC doesn't have a "sound card" or anything of that nature, is this an issue? So it goes speaker (red/black) to amp and then amp to computer I'm assuming... but where? I'd love to have an amp with a headphone jack, is this possible on a budget or am I looking at $200+ amps only for this feature?

TL;dr - I'd like a simple setup consisting of passive speakers and an amp, utilizing banana tips if possible, and ideally an amp with a headphone jack that is budget friendly, would also like to know where the RCA cables on the amp connect to. Anything else I need to purchase?
So your PC doesn't even have a headphone jack on it for sound?

That can be used to send sound to an amp with a miniplug cable which sends stereo signals to headphones or, in your case, a small amp as suggested above.

https://www.amazon.com/iXCC-Universa...ini+plug+cable

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page