Need some advice for recommendation on home setup NHT 2.9 VS Vandersteen 2ce's..... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need some advice for recommendation on home setup NHT 2.9 VS Vandersteen 2ce's.....

My equipment
Denon AVR-X3400H
Vandersteen 2ce's and or Nht 2.9's fronts
Nht ac1 center
Pioneer SP-fs552 rear surround
Ok so I have a few questions to say the least and I need some advice.

First of all I would say I am a 50-50 movie-music listener and my music collection is of all genre's, We watch a lot of tv but I really enjoy my music! I do not have a audiophile ear but I really want a great sound setup for my home theater and music listening so please take it easy on my newbie questions as I know enough about it to probably make me dangerous HAHA. I have read so much on things my head is spinning and so I have quite a few questions that I appreciate in advance with the help! I just purchased the new Denon AVR-X3400H to control all of my 4k hdr demands but I just dont think it cuts the mustard on powering my system because right now I have the nht 2.9's hooked up with the mentioned speakers above and I have to turn it up to 75% to get a good volume out of it and I really am just not impressed at all.

I just bought and go what I think was a steal on a set of mint almost new Nht 2.9 and Vandersteen 2ce so I guess if anyone has experience with these which would you prefer as I am sure I will be getting rid of one set of these, I have read up on both the nht 2.9 and Vandersteen 2ce and I am suppose to really be blown away by the sound so I guess question 1 would be which do you prefer of the two and why?

Question 2 would be if you do prefer the vandersteen 2ce over the nht's then should I get a different center speaker or stick with the nht ac1 that I have?

Question 3 I have read a lot about pro amps vs home amps and I really have a damn head ache after reading this because I am more uncertain about it then I was before I read up on it so If I am running the audio through my AVR then if I get enough power to my speakers will it really sound any different as far as the details, warm, bright, etc?

Question 4 Would I benefit from a pre-amp and power amp setup and still use my denon avr?

I really have a lot more questions but I need these answered I guess before I can ask the others but I really want something that makes me say WOW at the end of the day when listening and especially to music, I dont mind spending upwards of $2000 for a good amplifier or fantastic used amplifier if it will really make the difference I need to make these speakers sound awesome but if they arent going to be great then I need to ditch them and spend the $2000 on something that will..

Again thanks for the help in advance!
lewi1032 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 08-22-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,087
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4157 Post(s)
Liked: 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewi1032 View Post
My equipment
Denon AVR-X3400H
Vandersteen 2ce's and or Nht 2.9's fronts
Nht ac1 center
Pioneer SP-fs552 rear surround
Ok so I have a few questions to say the least and I need some advice.


Again thanks for the help in advance!
I don't have any first hand knowledge so I googled around.

It is rare indeed to find a negative review from Stereophile but that certainly is the tone of their 1995 review of the NHTs; hard to place, hard to drive due to low impedance, sub optimal performance.

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...320/index.html

Their review of the Vandersteens was more positive though still difficult to place but easier to drive than the NHTs.

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...126/index.html

Seems to me that either would benefit from adding a subwoofer and it would certainly help your receiver by relieving it of having to power the lowest frequencies thus giving it more power to drive the other frequencies with lower distortion.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 08-22-2017, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
As you can see in my equipment list I have a svs sub.........Would I be better off getting rid of the the nht's and the vandersteens and just get something like a set of kef q900 and a matching center speaker and use my avr to push them? Would a good amp make either set a comparable or better sounding then a newer great speaker like a kef q900 or a q-acoustics concept 40, etc?
lewi1032 is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,087
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4157 Post(s)
Liked: 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewi1032 View Post
As you can see in my equipment list I have a svs sub.........Would I be better off getting rid of the the nht's and the vandersteens and just get something like a set of kef q900 and a matching center speaker and use my avr to push them? Would a good amp make either set a comparable or better sounding then a newer great speaker like a kef q900 or a q-acoustics concept 40, etc?
I believe you simply have speakers from the mid 90s that were never aimed for a broad audience as they are kinda weird and Sterophile, which has always pulled their punches on being even the least critical, was, in both cases, trying really hard not to say, "don't bother with these."

I know that modern Vandersteens and NHTs do NOT fall into that category from what I've read on AVS so, yes, I think a more modern easier to drive speaker with matching center would be a huge improvement and in most cases if unhappy simply return them...though it might cost you return shipping depending on the company.

You have mentioned two excellent choices in the Q series from KEF or the Concept Series from Q Acoustics, (I loved the Concept 20s when I had them in my home last year...my friend has them now).

Reviews of your AVR have mentioned musicality so I don't think it's the Denon to be honest.

Are you in the US?

What modern speakers have you been able to listen to recently?

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 08-22-2017, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I believe you simply have speakers from the mid 90s that were never aimed for a broad audience as they are kinda weird and Sterophile, which has always pulled their punches on being even the least critical, was, in both cases, trying really hard not to say, "don't bother with these."

I know that modern Vandersteens and NHTs do NOT fall into that category from what I've read on AVS so, yes, I think a more modern easier to drive speaker with matching center would be a huge improvement and in most cases if unhappy simply return them...though it might cost you return shipping depending on the company.

You have mentioned two excellent choices in the Q series from KEF or the Concept Series from Q Acoustics, (I loved the Concept 20s when I had them in my home last year...my friend has them now).

Reviews of your AVR have mentioned musicality so I don't think it's the Denon to be honest.

Are you in the US?

What modern speakers have you been able to listen to recently?
I havent really heard anything modern because there isnt really anything around but a bestbuy, I have been reading up on kef and they have a good deal on the q900's not since the q950 are out, Q acoustics, and I am liking what I read on the ascend acoustic sierra-2's....Have you heard any of these in person? I see you had the concept 20's what did you replace them with and do you regret it? thanks
lewi1032 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,087
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4157 Post(s)
Liked: 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewi1032 View Post
I havent really heard anything modern because there isnt really anything around but a bestbuy, I have been reading up on kef and they have a good deal on the q900's not since the q950 are out, Q acoustics, and I am liking what I read on the ascend acoustic sierra-2's....Have you heard any of these in person? I see you had the concept 20's what did you replace them with and do you regret it? thanks
A year ago Q Acoustics offered AVS members a blanket "we will send you speakers to test if interested" offer and several of us took them up on it as, at that time, all we had to go on was Pro Reviews which all seemed curiously excellent.

All of us who tried them, (I tried the C20s, others tried the 3050s, 3020s and 3090c), verified that the rave reviews were, in our views, well founded.

As I had just purchased Martin Logan LX16s I doubted I'd be keeping them but after I was done my friend liked them so much, (he borrowed them), he bought them.

I believe Steve, (Blue Wizard), bought the 3020s he was testing as well.

They were every bit as good as my LX16s and nineties era B&W CM1 Concept 90 speakers, the latter which have/had MUCH higher msrps.

I have not heard the KEFs or RAAL speakers like the Ascends but I have no doubt they are as good as AVS members say.

The deal on the KEF Qs won't last long and they are rapidly running out of the Q200 and Q600 centers so if you decide to go that route you might have to make a decision soon.

Had I not bought the LX16s and still had my old Relistic Pro LX5s I would definitely have bought the Concept 20s but luckily I can still listen to them at my friend's house.

If you listen to a lot of jazz, classical, acoustic and vocal music a RAAL speaker from Ascend or Philharmonic Audio or Salk might well be worth the extra investment but if not I'd look to KEF or Q Acoustics.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off