KEF LS50 vs Klipsch Palladium p17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By amatuerholic
  • 1 Post By mikeTRON250LM
  • 1 Post By amatuerholic
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-24-2017, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KEF LS50 vs Klipsch Palladium p17

Has anyone had the opportunity to try/hear both and is willing to share some thoughts on it? Have the option to buy 3 LS50s including stands for 1500 or 2 p17s includig stands for 1600. Both are in excellent condition. My room is pretty small (3x3 meter) and I have not chosen an amp for it. Will be using it for movies, but primarly for music.

Thanks!

HT: Marantz SR7011 + Klipsch Chorus 2 (front) + Klipsch LaScala II (center) + Klipsch Forte II (rears) + Klipsch Heresy (surround) + QS618 (18" horn loaded subwoofer)
Previously owned: Klipsch RP450C, Q Acoustics 3020, Klipsch R12SW
Droogne is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 08-24-2017, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,324
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droogne View Post
Has anyone had the opportunity to try/hear both and is willing to share some thoughts on it? Have the option to buy 3 LS50s including stands for 1500 or 2 p17s includig stands for 1600. Both are in excellent condition. My room is pretty small (3x3 meter) and I have not chosen an amp for it. Will be using it for movies, but primarly for music.

Thanks!
From a professional review, where any criticism should be looked at carefully:

"The P-17B doesn't come with its own stand, nor could Klipsch recommend one. This posed three problems. First, the base of each P-17B is much larger than that of your average bookshelf model. Many stands lack a plinth large enough for all four of the P-17B's rubber feet to rest on securely, and my own stands were barely large enough to accommodate them. Second, I found that, for optimal sound, the P-17Bs needed to sit at a height where their midrange drivers were exactly at the level of my ears when I'm seated. Any deviation shifted the tonal balance more than with most speakers I've listened to."

"The P-17B's tweeter may have been a bit too airy... sometimes the Klipsch gave me too much of a good thing."

"Though the P-17B's midrange driver reproduced very few fundamentals of the human voice, it did pass along most of the overtones, especially in the area where the ear is the most sensitive."

"For all my raving about them, there was one thing I could not get the Klipsch Palladium P-17Bs to excel at in my room: Try as I might, I could not get them to throw a truly deep soundstage."

Sensitive to vertical height, harsh/emphasized highs, not much bass, and poor soundstage depth.

https://www.stereophile.com/standlou...ker/index.html

amatuerholic is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 08-24-2017, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
From a professional review, where any criticism should be looked at carefully:

"The P-17B doesn't come with its own stand, nor could Klipsch recommend one. This posed three problems. First, the base of each P-17B is much larger than that of your average bookshelf model. Many stands lack a plinth large enough for all four of the P-17B's rubber feet to rest on securely, and my own stands were barely large enough to accommodate them. Second, I found that, for optimal sound, the P-17Bs needed to sit at a height where their midrange drivers were exactly at the level of my ears when I'm seated. Any deviation shifted the tonal balance more than with most speakers I've listened to."

"The P-17B's tweeter may have been a bit too airy... sometimes the Klipsch gave me too much of a good thing."

"Though the P-17B's midrange driver reproduced very few fundamentals of the human voice, it did pass along most of the overtones, especially in the area where the ear is the most sensitive."

"For all my raving about them, there was one thing I could not get the Klipsch Palladium P-17Bs to excel at in my room: Try as I might, I could not get them to throw a truly deep soundstage."

Sensitive to vertical height, harsh/emphasized highs, not much bass, and poor soundstage depth.

https://www.stereophile.com/standlou...ker/index.html
Thanks for the input! The bass problem can be solved by a sub (which I will), so that is less of a concern. I also get the stands with the p17s.

HT: Marantz SR7011 + Klipsch Chorus 2 (front) + Klipsch LaScala II (center) + Klipsch Forte II (rears) + Klipsch Heresy (surround) + QS618 (18" horn loaded subwoofer)
Previously owned: Klipsch RP450C, Q Acoustics 3020, Klipsch R12SW
Droogne is online now  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,509
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droogne View Post
Has anyone had the opportunity to try/hear both and is willing to share some thoughts on it? Have the option to buy 3 LS50s including stands for 1500 or 2 p17s includig stands for 1600. Both are in excellent condition. My room is pretty small (3x3 meter) and I have not chosen an amp for it. Will be using it for movies, but primarly for music.

Thanks!
If you are unable to audition in home, for music, I'd think the KEfs would be the safer bet.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 08-24-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,324
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droogne View Post
Thanks for the input! The bass problem can be solved by a sub (which I will), so that is less of a concern. I also get the stands with the p17s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
If you are unable to audition in home, for music, I'd think the KEfs would be the safer bet.
Agreed with gajCA; the only complaints I read about the KEFs is limited bass response. I would suggest, however, that you read up on the Ascend Sierra 2 before making your purchase.
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

amatuerholic is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 08-24-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 2,875
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 831
No experience with Klipsch but owned the LS50s. Very good speakers but they definitely need a quality amp to get the most out of them, such as Parasound Halo, etc.

LG OLED65E6 | ARC DSi200 | Dynaudio Special Forty | Oppo UDP-205 | Maingear Drift GTX 1080 HTPC | audioquest CV-8 - Carbon - Columbia | BDI Mirage 8227 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K
drewTT is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 08-24-2017, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
mikeTRON250LM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
Agreed with gajCA; the only complaints I read about the KEFs is limited bass response. I would suggest, however, that you read up on the Ascend Sierra 2 before making your purchase.
I liked the s2s more than the LS50s, but both are nice. LS50s might have better resale locally as more people are aware of them...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
amatuerholic likes this.
mikeTRON250LM is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old 08-26-2017, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm deciding between these 2 as they are for sale on local second hand site. The kefs are extremely close so I can listen to them pretty easy. The pallladiums are a few hours drive from me. The palladiums are worth 4,7k and the reviews are raving! Will have a listen to the kefs, but it's a shame I cant just buy 2 of them. I don't really need the third at the moment.. It is nice to have though, as they are never sold separate. I just dont want to spend on it right now.

HT: Marantz SR7011 + Klipsch Chorus 2 (front) + Klipsch LaScala II (center) + Klipsch Forte II (rears) + Klipsch Heresy (surround) + QS618 (18" horn loaded subwoofer)
Previously owned: Klipsch RP450C, Q Acoustics 3020, Klipsch R12SW
Droogne is online now  
post #9 of 10 Old 08-26-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 5,321
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 3734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droogne View Post
I'm deciding between these 2 as they are for sale on local second hand site. The kefs are extremely close so I can listen to them pretty easy. The pallladiums are a few hours drive from me. The palladiums are worth 4,7k and the reviews are raving! Will have a listen to the kefs, but it's a shame I cant just buy 2 of them. I don't really need the third at the moment.. It is nice to have though, as they are never sold separate. I just dont want to spend on it right now.
I just wanted to chime in and say that you can purchase LS50 singles from KEF. The LS50s are really quite good and very resolving IMHO. I agree they require good amplification as they are not very efficient at 86 dB and dip to 3 ohms. With a subwoofer I found them to be one of the better speakers I've owned (music only setup, no experience with HT).

Bitchin' Boombox with cassette deck

Eastern Shore Audio Collective-E.S.A.C. Member, www.esac.club
postrokfan is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 08-26-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,324
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droogne View Post
I'm deciding between these 2 as they are for sale on local second hand site. The kefs are extremely close so I can listen to them pretty easy. The pallladiums are a few hours drive from me. The palladiums are worth 4,7k and the reviews are raving! Will have a listen to the kefs, but it's a shame I cant just buy 2 of them. I don't really need the third at the moment.. It is nice to have though, as they are never sold separate. I just dont want to spend on it right now.
Don't let a "on sale now" item drive your decision. I've found it much better to find what you want after considering many options, and waiting for that one thing you want to go on sale. If these items were on your radar before you saw the sale though, then go for it!
Zorba922 likes this.

amatuerholic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off