Canton GLS 2 Bookshelf (A Good Speaker) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 4 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By Doe Doe
  • 1 Post By Lp85253
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By zieglj01

post #1 of 19 Old 09-02-2017, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Canton GLS 2 Bookshelf (A Good Speaker)

In my hunt to find a new reference speaker, my journey took me to the Canton GLS 2. While the Canton is for reference, the Snell K7 is still my favorite in-house speaker -- however, the Canton is close, Just as the JBL Studio 530 was close. The Q Acoustics speakers were good, however I went on a quest to knock them off. I had to let them go because my nit-picking nature wanted a little more -- however the QA 3020 will still be highly recommended.

The Canton is suppose to have the Chrono 502 drivers in a different box and different grill covering -- GLS 2 has a 3/4 inch front baffle and 1/2 inch for the rest of the box. My guess is that the Chrono has a 3/4 inch front baffle and 5/8 inch for the rest -- and the Chrono box is 1.4 inch deeper.

While Canton claims that the GLS 2 will hit 33 hz -- they will not do that -- the Canton does have some nice strong articulate tight and controlled bass for its size -- it seems to have usable bass to around 50 hz -- and can work well for many full range who are not a die-hard bass-head every minute of the day.

The speaker sounds overall clean and linear -- however not as refined or pure as some more expensive high-end speakers. They are not really bright, warm, or dark sounding. They are vivid and detailed with some really nice resolution for definition, and depth, without sounding analytical. A poor sourced nasty recording track, will stand out and can get under your skin.

Playing the Beatles 'Come Together' -- the bass really stood out and was nice -- the voices were clean and detailed considering the recording is old. The same for the song 'Something' -- nice and detailed with good musical bass and definition, and a wide soundstage. The Temptations 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone' was clear and articulate with good sounstage and depth -- instruments sound clear and focused and the GLS 2 retrieved good detail and nuances. On the QA 3020 the sound is more closed in, with less layering and depth. The sound is more realistic on the GLS 2

With Rebecca Pidgeon's 'Spanish Harlem' -- Bass is tight and articulate with some depth, and is more full and rich compared to the QA -- her voice also has more tonal depth on the GLS. The same goes for Patricia Barber's 'The Beat Goes On'. Sade's 'No Ordinary Love' -- her voice is more rich and detailed, instruments more vivid and clear, the GLS is good at retrieving inner detail. The Canton has better layering and depth, and tone control. Sibilants are overall more controlled on the GLS speaker. The QA seems to have a happy bump in the midrange, while the GLS is more linear.

Chris Botti on the instrument version of 'No Ordinary Love' -- the sound is more detailed and focused with better detail and depth, and background voices more clear and cymbals more smooth. On Yo Yo Ma's 'The Mission' -- again the stage is more open, focused, and better depth. On Jamie Paul's 'Crazy' the center stage is more focused, while still giving a good wide stage, again the voice is more rich and fluid on the Canton.

With the GLS 2, I am starting to hear some of the vibration of the string wood instruments, that I have been missing on the QA 3020 and others. Some of the musical nuances that have been missing on the QA can now be heard on the Canton. The Canton goes a little lower in the bass over the QA, and is more rich and full, the bass on the QA seems to choke some and run out of steam.

Both speakers are good with Movies/TV -- however, the GLS 2 is more open and detailed with good dynamics without being upfront -- while the QA does have a good stage with a central image and some depth -- the GLS 2 does a better job.

The Canton is going for $299 with $8.99 shipping at AC4L and there are a few left -- however their return policy is not as friendly as others -- however, worth it to me, sometimes you have to take risks for something that can be really good. Now is the Canton great and perfect -- no. However they are one of the better under $800 speakers that I have listened to. The sound tends to be between the $400 and $650 range. However, for $299 a killer deal. The center would be the Canton Chrono center, which I did not buy at this time. I may or may not test another speaker against the Canton -- so for now they are a keeper for me.

For those who have not seen the pictures -- here is a slide show.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...8;start=167784

Speakers -- Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2

Last edited by zieglj01; 09-02-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-02-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Nice review.

I think there is a matching center for that model by the way -- https://www.canton.de/en/archive/gls-5

Not that the chrono 505 wouldn't be nice, too, probably better, but gls 5 should be cheaper. It'd be interesting to compare the gls vs chrono ... how much difference would you think the differing enclosure would have? Anything significant? What do you figure crossover is, about 60-70ish for the GLS?
zieglj01 likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-02-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
In my hunt to find a new reference speaker, my journey took me to the Canton GLS 2. While the Canton is for reference, the Snell K7 is still my favorite in-house speaker -- however, the Canton is close, Just as the JBL Studio 530 was close. The Q Acoustics speakers were good, however I went on a quest to knock them off. I had to let them go because my nit-picking nature wanted a little more -- however the QA 3020 will still be highly recommended.

The Canton is suppose to have the Chrono 502 drivers in a different box and different grill covering -- GLS 2 has a 3/4 inch front baffle and 1/2 inch for the rest of the box. My guess is that the Chrono has a 3/4 inch front baffle and 5/8 inch for the rest -- and the Chrono box is 1.4 inch deeper.

While Canton claims that the GLS 2 will hit 33 hz -- they will not do that -- the Canton does have some nice strong articulate tight and controlled bass for its size -- it seems to have usable bass to around 50 hz -- and can work well for many full range who are not a die-hard bass-head every minute of the day.

The speaker sounds overall clean and linear -- however not as refined or pure as some more expensive high-end speakers. They are not really bright, warm, or dark sounding. They are vivid and detailed with some really nice resolution for definition, and depth, without sounding analytical. A poor sourced nasty recording track, will stand out and can get under your skin.

Playing the Beatles 'Come Together' -- the bass really stood out and was nice -- the voices were clean and detailed considering the recording is old. The same for the song 'Something' -- nice and detailed with good musical bass and definition, and a wide soundstage. The Temptations 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone' was clear and articulate with good sounstage and depth -- instruments sound clear and focused and the GLS 2 retrieved good detail and nuances. On the QA 3020 the sound is more closed in, with less layering and depth. The sound is more realistic on the GLS 2

With Rebecca Pidgeon's 'Spanish Harlem' -- Bass is tight and articulate with some depth, and is more full and rich compared to the QA -- her voice also has more tonal depth on the GLS. The same goes for Patricia Barber's 'The Beat Goes On'. Sade's 'No Ordinary Love' -- her voice is more rich and detailed, instruments more vivid and clear, the GLS is good at retrieving inner detail. The Canton has better layering and depth, and tone control. Sibilants are overall more controlled on the GLS speaker. The QA seems to have a happy bump in the midrange, while the GLS is more linear.

Chris Botti on the instrument version of 'No Ordinary Love' -- the sound is more detailed and focused with better detail and depth, and background voices more clear and cymbals more smooth. On Yo Yo Ma's 'The Mission' -- again the stage is more open, focused, and better depth. On Jamie Paul's 'Crazy' the center stage is more focused, while still giving a good wide stage, again the voice is more rich and fluid on the Canton.

With the GLS 2, I am starting to hear some of the vibration of the string wood instruments, that I have been missing on the QA 3020 and others. Some of the musical nuances that have been missing on the QA can now be heard on the Canton. The Canton goes a little lower in the bass over the QA, and is more rich and full, the bass on the QA seems to choke some and run out of steam.

Both speakers are good with Movies/TV -- however, the GLS 2 is more open and detailed with good dynamics without being upfront -- while the QA does have a good stage with a central image and some depth -- the GLS 2 does a better job.

The Canton is going for $299 with $8.99 shipping at AC4L and there are a few left -- however their return policy is not as friendly as others -- however, worth it to me, sometimes you have to take risks for something that can be really good. Now is the Canton great and perfect -- no. However they are one of the better under $800 speakers that I have listened to. The sound tends to be between the $400 and $650 range. However, for $299 a killer deal. The center would be the Canton Chrono center, which I did not buy at this time. I may or may not test another speaker against the Canton -- so for now they are a keeper for me.

For those who have not seen the pictures -- here is a slide show.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...8;start=167784
Great review.

Sadly the matching center seems to be unavailable and the Chronos center is $400...the Q Acoustics 3090c center, for example, is currently $160.

Geoff A. J., California

post #4 of 19 Old 09-02-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Great review.

Sadly the matching center seems to be unavailable and the Chronos center is $400...the Q Acoustics 3090c center, for example, is currently $160.
Odd, as I could have sworn I saw the matching GLS center on amazon a while back, not too crazy a price, something like $250-$300. I guess they are doing away with that model, or amazon is just not carrying it anymore. eBay is probably the best bet to find it, eventually.
post #5 of 19 Old 09-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Another great review. .. thanks again. ..do you think this speaker can hang with the focal aria 905?
zieglj01 likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-02-2017, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Odd, as I could have sworn I saw the matching GLS center on amazon a while back, not too crazy a price, something like $250-$300. I guess they are doing away with that model, or amazon is just not carrying it anymore. eBay is probably the best bet to find it, eventually.
AC4L does not have the matching center -- however, I would buy another pair of the GLS bookshelf and use one as a center for $299. However with that said, the Chrono center would still be worth it to me -- the quality of the GLS series is good.

I will get back with you on the bass for the GLS -- however, they can easily handle an 80 hz cross to a subwoofer -- I am going to play some electric and acoustic bass notes, plus some organ notes.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #7 of 19 Old 09-02-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I believe the GLE is a step down series with a fabric dome tweeter but yes it is available for $249.

I'd buy a second set of GLS bookshelves and use one vertically for the center , and maybe a third set for a 6.1 system at $900 which actually isn't bad if you can fit a vertical center; 11.6" tall so might work for some.

5.0 setup of Q Acoustics 3000 series would be $682 using the horizontal center and a 6.0 Q Acoustics setup using all 3020s would be $783 with the height being 10.2".

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 19 Old 09-02-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I believe the GLE is a step down series with a fabric dome tweeter but yes it is available for $249.

Yeah, it is a step down. I own a GLE 456 center. I just meant I could have sworn I saw the matching GLS center on amazon a short while ago. Could have been a 3rd party seller however.

GLE loses quite easily to my ancient Fonums w/ metal tweeter, so expect GLS to be a big step up over GLE. The difference is the tweeter ... I find the canton tweeter really good, even my old version -- the "someone is in the room with you" crisp type of tweeter. I tried the spanish harlem song that Ziegl mentioned, and it sounds like she's in the same room singing... GLE sounds like a muddy speaker is singing.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-02-2017, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not that the chrono 505 wouldn't be nice, too, probably better, but gls 5 should be cheaper. It'd be interesting to compare the gls vs chrono ... how much difference would you think the differing enclosure would have? Anything significant? What do you figure crossover is, about 60-70ish for the GLS?
I do not expect a major difference between the Chrono and GLS -- the Chrono Cabinet will be a little thicker and should have better cabinet resonance control. The real step up will be the Vento series.

The GLS bass is overall nice, and a 70 hz crossover to a sub can work -- but 80 hz is a comfortable range -- at 9 feet back there is still some low volume bass below 50 hz, and you can here the 41 hz E note on the electric and acoustic bass -- the organ note is even a little louder at the 41hz E note. The volume was -15 on the 135+ watt receiver -- I did not want to lower the volume any more and stress the speakers. The Woofer on the GLS is well built.
Doe Doe likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #10 of 19 Old 09-07-2017, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Well, since I like to toy some -- I have modded the inner cabinet some (there went the warranty or return options ) -- after listening to the drums on the Snell, I wanted to see if I could improve that sound some on the GLS 2) So far I like what I did better (I can always reverse it). I must say the speaker is real sensitive to inner cabinet change. And they sure do have a lot of bass energy.

I put some adhesive felt padding inside and replaced the poly-batten with 1" NUFOAM (which is poly-foam). If I did Fiberglass and sold the speakers in the future -- I would have to pull the Fiberglass out, since some people may be disturbed by fiberglass. I wanted to use/try Denim insulation, which I like -- however too expensive for one roll with shipping, and $36 for 6 rolls at Home Depot is much more than I need or can store at this time.

Slide show pictures of the modded cabinet
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...8;start=168161
Lp85253 likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #11 of 19 Old 09-07-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, since I like to toy some -- I have modded the inner cabinet some (there went the warranty or return options ) -- after listening to the drums on the Snell, I wanted to see if I could improve that sound some on the GLS 2) So far I like what I did better (I can always reverse it). I must say the speaker is real sensitive to inner cabinet change. And they sure do have a lot of bass energy.

I put some adhesive felt padding inside and replaced the poly-batten with 1" NUFOAM (which is poly-foam). If I did Fiberglass and sold the speakers in the future -- I would have to pull the Fiberglass out, since some people may be disturbed by fiberglass. I wanted to use/try Denim insulation, which I like -- however too expensive for one roll with shipping, and $36 for 6 rolls at Home Depot is much more than I need or can store at this time.

Slide show pictures of the modded cabinet
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...8;start=168161
Have zero idea what the state of the art is for sound deadening material inside speakers today and what, if any, advantages it has over good old fiberglass stuffed in there to the brim.

Geoff A. J., California
post #12 of 19 Old 09-07-2017, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Have zero idea what the state of the art is for sound deadening material inside speakers today and what, if any, advantages it has over good old fiberglass stuffed in there to the brim.
I like Denim batten the best, however somewhat expensive -- then Fiberglass and the Poly-foam -- if I was to sell the speakers, then I would have to go in and pull the fiberglass out. I came close to putting fiberglass in there. All in all these speakers are good period -- the Q A 3020 are for sure good, but the GLS 2 is a clear step above, even with the factory poly-batten.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #13 of 19 Old 09-07-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I like Denim batten the best, however somewhat expensive -- then Fiberglass and the Poly-foam -- if I was to sell the speakers, then I would have to go in and pull the fiberglass out. I came close to putting fiberglass in there. All in all these speakers are good period -- the Q A 3020 are for sure good, but the GLS 2 is a clear step above, even with the factory poly-batten.
Why would you have to pull fiberglass out; is it banned for that use now because of some safety issues?

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 19 Old 09-07-2017, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Why would you have to pull fiberglass out; is it banned for that use now because of some safety issues?
Not so much as being banned -- but people are now more sensitive to certain issues, and a lot of that has to do with California and their sensitive rules.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #15 of 19 Old 09-12-2017, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I turned and did almost a full reverse --I pulled the stuffing/lining out, and the felt padding on the top panel -- however, I left the felt padding blocks at the back of the side panels -- I bought some 1" polyester bonded batting from Amazon to mimic the original stock lining. The Amazon batting is not quite as firm as the original, however still close. I pretty much lined it as it was in the beginning, which means there is a gap at the top panel left of the port, and between the crossover and port.

The more I listen to these speakers, the more I am liking them -- next week I will get a round trip shipping quote to find out how much it would cost to ship to Dennis for measurements.

Slide show of the reverse
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...1;start=168430
Lp85253 likes this.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #16 of 19 Old 09-13-2017, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks in part to this thread I ordered a pair of the Chrono 502.2 from ac4l. It's weird to buy speakers I haven't auditioned but I've liked every Canton I've heard so I figured it was worth the risk.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-13-2017, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
Thanks in part to this thread I ordered a pair of the Chrono 502.2 from ac4l. It's weird to buy speakers I haven't auditioned but I've liked every Canton I've heard so I figured it was worth the risk.
Bingo! enjoy the audio adventure

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #18 of 19 Old 09-22-2017, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've had the 502.2s running for a couple days now, so far so good. I'd definitely call them a music speaker over a home theater one, not in a bad way since they sound perfectly decent for movies but it's when I'm listening to music that I really hear the difference over my old speakers. I've been waffling between 80 and 90hz for the crossover, I'll probably just pick one at some point. I'm also going back and forth with the grilles, the waveguides and ring around the woofer are super well machined but it is a little "blingy" for my room.

Overall quite happy with my purchase at the price I got them for, once I'm past the 15-20 hours the recommend as break-in time I'll give them more of a workout.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
I've had the 502.2s running for a couple days now, so far so good. I'd definitely call them a music speaker over a home theater one, not in a bad way since they sound perfectly decent for movies but it's when I'm listening to music that I really hear the difference over my old speakers. I've been waffling between 80 and 90hz for the crossover, I'll probably just pick one at some point. I'm also going back and forth with the grilles, the waveguides and ring around the woofer are super well machined but it is a little "blingy" for my room.

Overall quite happy with my purchase at the price I got them for, once I'm past the 15-20 hours the recommend as break-in time I'll give them more of a workout.
Canton does good work -- continue to enjoy the journey.

I tend to listen to the GLS with the grills off

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page