5.1 Surround speaker question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 8 Old 09-11-2017, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question 5.1 Surround speaker question

Hello all, long time unregistered forum reader here.

I'm finally(!) able to upgrade my TV & surround system. Coming from a 10+ year old LCD screen & Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speakerset I did go for OLED and Elac Debut (B6/C5) speakers.

Sadly enough my living room is not perfect for the best setup*. For now I had to make some concessions, but i'm still blown away with the sound quality. Maybe a bit to much on the bass side, probably due boundary interference. I'm still working on that.

*I also have to consult my wife on design/placing challenges

I also want to replace the rear speakers. They are now placed near the couch on stands. I would prefer to place them on the walls. Beside the couch (A) or on the wall (B) (see attached picture).

Some challenges I have with this:
  • option A will place the speakers before the seating positions (reading from forum posts its preferable to place them just above the seating position)
  • option B will place the speakers behind of the seating positions and rather far away (~10 feet).

Now for my main question: I would like your opinion and what you see as a possible solution on my challenge with the placement of the rear speakers. As stated, I want to go for mounting and to choose rather small speakers (I used all the wifecredits with the rather large B6's ). It is possible to place te couch a bit further away from the TV (but not closer by).

Many thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speakers.jpg (22.0 KB, 54 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-11-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3695 Post(s)
Liked: 2646
If going with monopoles, Option A.
If going with bipoles, Option B.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 8 Old 09-12-2017, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If going with monopoles, Option A.
If going with bipoles, Option B.
Hi Zorba922,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you maybe mean the other way around? So bipoles on the walls (option A) And monopoles on the far side of the wall (B)? Or do I misunderstand you?

Could you elaborate on your answer?

Many thanks!

post #4 of 8 Old 09-12-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcaravan View Post
Do you maybe mean the other way around? So bipoles on the walls (option A) And monopoles on the far side of the wall (B)? Or do I misunderstand you?
Oops, you're right.

If you do Option B make sure the monopoles are slightly angled so that they aren't pointing directly at the fronts and possibly cancelling out some of the frequencies.
planetcaravan likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 8 Old 09-13-2017, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Suggestion

Can't you change the position of your sofa to currently marked as rear left to negate all issues wrt to location you are facing now? I had same room dimensions some time back and this is what i did. This would help you place Front speakers, woofer, TV and rears in intended way.
Just my 2 cents.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-14-2017, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentum246 View Post
Can't you change the position of your sofa to currently marked as rear left to negate all issues wrt to location you are facing now? I had same room dimensions some time back and this is what i did. This would help you place Front speakers, woofer, TV and rears in intended way.
Just my 2 cents.
Hi argentum246,

Thanks for commenting. We are using the space behind our couch for the kids to play.. and it will be to far away from the tv in my opinion...
post #7 of 8 Old 09-14-2017, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Oops, you're right.

If you do Option B make sure the monopoles are slightly angled so that they aren't pointing directly at the fronts and possibly cancelling out some of the frequencies.
Thanks, I'm thinking this is the way to go for now.

I'm worried that the sound will be off if I place the surrounds in front of the seating position.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-14-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcaravan View Post
Thanks, I'm thinking this is the way to go for now.

I'm worried that the sound will be off if I place the surrounds in front of the seating position.
I think I would skip the back surrounds and only do the side surrounds, honestly. As long as you have the sides pointing back at the seating position and get your AVR to level match them you'll be fine. Maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-4-Inc...s=klipsch+rb10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page