Need solid speakers for my setup! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 09-11-2017, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Need solid speakers for my setup!

Hi everyone, This is my 1st post here

I need speaker + subwoofer setup for my HT setup

Buying Epson 2045 with Denon AVR X2300W .

For speakers, I have very littile idea of combinations.

I like to start of with a 2.1 system for now and then gradually upgrade to an Atmos setup [5.1.2]

Please suggest me a sub with center speaker and 2 front left speakers for starters.

Currently I'm considering

Polk Audio 255C-RT - Center

Polk Audio 265RT - Left & Right.

JBL Arena S10 Black 10" 100W Powered Subwoofer
or
Polk Audio PSW111 Subwoofer

I'm from India so, options are very limited.

Budget cannot exceed 220 dollars US dollars per item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone??
post #3 of 43 Old 09-12-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4139 Post(s)
Liked: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichu View Post
Anyone??
Polk Audio has a solid reputation for in ceiling speakers on a budget and judging by owner reviews here their in walls are equally good so it sounds like you should be on solid ground.

The subs would seem to be a tossup so I'd buy on looks, size or price as they will likely perform quite similarly.

Geoff A. J., California

post #4 of 43 Old 09-12-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3694 Post(s)
Liked: 2645
Quote:
I'm from India so, options are very limited.

Budget cannot exceed 220 dollars US dollars per item.
What other options are available where you are, within your budget limit?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 43 Old 09-12-2017, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Polk Audio has a solid reputation for in ceiling speakers on a budget and judging by owner reviews here their in walls are equally good so it sounds like you should be on solid ground.

The subs would seem to be a tossup so I'd buy on looks, size or price as they will likely perform quite similarly.
Thanks, Are there any other alternatives to consider? I'm a bit of a bass head But the overall sound clarity must be good along with it.

Also considering Polk Audio 70RT as ceiling speakers as of now for Atmos setup.
post #6 of 43 Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
What other options are available where you are, within your budget limit?
Most of Polk,Yamaha models are available here along with Klipsch. And many more.

Anyway, You can me suggest whichever is better. I will look up and reply accordingly .
post #7 of 43 Old 09-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Most of Polk,Yamaha models are available here along with Klipsch. And many more.

Anyway, You can me suggest whichever is better. I will look up and reply accordingly .
I have not heard those particular Polk models, but I'm a loudspeaker design engineer and have long respected their engineering abilities. They make good stuff! Will YOU like them in YOUR room? Ah, speakers are so horribly inaccurate that is impossible to say. But if you have no chance to listen they are a good bet. I do like how their center elevates the tweeter, instead of directly between the woofers which is acoustically bad.

Speakers make by far the most difference to the sound. Your subwoofer choices...10" is better than 8" but none of those brands are subwoofer experts. The experts are more like Hsu, SVS, JL, others that I forget offhand. Are any of those available to you? I would VERY strongly suggest you spend far less on the AVR,* even refurbished/used for now, and spend the money on a much stronger subwoofer. Later when you have money to add the additional speakers, you can upgrade the AVR, which by then will have dropped in price.

*but DO get an AVR, since stereo receivers hardly ever can properly accommodate a high-pass crossover to cut the bass load from the main amp and speakers.
post #8 of 43 Old 09-12-2017, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
I have not heard those particular Polk models, but I'm a loudspeaker design engineer and have long respected their engineering abilities. They make good stuff! Will YOU like them in YOUR room? Ah, speakers are so horribly inaccurate that is impossible to say. But if you have no chance to listen they are a good bet. I do like how their center elevates the tweeter, instead of directly between the woofers which is acoustically bad.

Speakers make by far the most difference to the sound. Your subwoofer choices...10" is better than 8" but none of those brands are subwoofer experts. The experts are more like Hsu, SVS, JL, others that I forget offhand. Are any of those available to you? I would VERY strongly suggest you spend far less on the AVR,* even refurbished/used for now, and spend the money on a much stronger subwoofer. Later when you have money to add the additional speakers, you can upgrade the AVR, which by then will have dropped in price.

*but DO get an AVR, since stereo receivers hardly ever can properly accommodate a high-pass crossover to cut the bass load from the main amp and speakers.
So, Which sub's do you recommend with Denon 2300?

Room size is 540*360 or in that range anyway.
post #9 of 43 Old 09-12-2017, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

In CM (540*360)
post #10 of 43 Old 09-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So, Which sub's do you recommend with Denon 2300?
Room size is 540*360 or in that range anyway.
That is hard to say since I am far from you, and don't know how large your are willing to accommodate. (Bigger is generally better, both for woofer size and cabinet size). Do you have any choices available to you from JL, SVS, Hsu?
post #11 of 43 Old 09-12-2017, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is hard to say since I am far from you, and don't know how large your are willing to accommodate. (Bigger is generally better, both for woofer size and cabinet size). Do you have any choices available to you from JL, SVS, Hsu?
SVS is available. Not sure about other 2 though.

On a separate note, Is there any connection with sub and AVR in boosting overall sound quality?
Or sub is driven all by itself?
post #12 of 43 Old 09-13-2017, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 159
That's a decent-sized room to fill with sound. Tough to do on your budget. Considering the Denon X2300 is already giving up Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and amplifier pre-outs, might as well go with the entry level X series, like the X1300, and put that money into the Polk RTiA towers and center. You'll keep the speakers a lot longer than the receiver and going with the RTiA series still leaves you the option of expanding with the in-wall line for side, back, and ceiling. I'm still using 20+ year-old JBL L7 towers in my 13-channel Atmos setup, which, I might add, is in a room not much larger than yours. I expanded roughly the same way with speakers. I chose a brand with plenty of options and bought the best speakers I could afford with each upgrade. I can't count the number of times I've upgraded the receiver and added external amplification starting in 2012 when the channel count exceeded what receivers came with.

Subs are a whole different matter. Probably easier to get a 12" within your budget and add a 2nd one later on. Cheapest I can think of is the SVS SB12-NSD or PB12-NSD that were being cleared out at $400. That will stomp all over the Polk PSW505, which is the one I'd get if sticking with Polk for speakers.

Quote:

On a separate note, Is there any connection with sub and AVR in boosting overall sound quality?
You'll have a cross-over setting as well as a gain adjustment just for the sub that is independent from the other speakers. The sub ( at least the one you are looking at ) has its own amplifier built in and all you need is an RCA cable to connect it to the receiver. Now. This where Audyssey comes in. The MultEQ XT in the x1300/x2300 does not have SubEQ, so the sub will be calibrated as part of the whole system. Audyssey MultEQ TX32 ( in the x3300 and greater ) has SubEQ, which calibrates the subs independently of the other speakers. There are differences in the sampling rates as well but not that important for subs. Only boondoggle with SubEQ is that the range is 75 to 78dB, so I calibrate at that then go back in and boost it up 5dB.
Bichu likes this.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 75" 850C, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).

PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.

Last edited by jevans64; 09-13-2017 at 12:35 AM.
post #13 of 43 Old 09-13-2017, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

So, minimum I have to go with Polk RTi's towers with the Denon 2300 right?

Can I fix with this model anyways? >Polk Audio 255C-RT - As center speaker?

Sub, Front & right should be of much higher level. I might look into more options then. Expanding the budget maybe..
post #14 of 43 Old 09-13-2017, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you don't have a sub, the amp (AVR) and main speakers are producing the lowest bass, which is a strain. With a subwoofer, IF there is a highpass filter (which many stereo amps stupidly fail to incorporate even when they have "sub out" jacks), the lowest bass is sent to the subwoofer instead, and the main amp and speakers can enjoy less distortion and more sound output without strain.

With bookshelf speakers, even something like the 10" JBL will fill in the low bass. But the true subwoofers start more around $400-500 US, so what is best for you really depends on what you can get in your area. If you put up some specific models and prices I'm sure you can get some good opinions.
post #15 of 43 Old 09-13-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sub, Front & right should be of much higher level. I might look into more options then. Expanding the budget maybe..
I thought you had to have in walls.

The BEST budget speakers Polk makes are the Signature Series but I'm not sure they are available in India.

Klipsch does make one excellent sub and one decent one; the R115SW is excellent but likely far to expensive for you so if the R112SW is available and much cheaper than the SVS I'd consider that as the R115SW, unlike smaller Klipsch subs, actually hit its stated frequency response in pro reviews.
sigpig likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 43 Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I thought you had to have in walls.

The BEST budget speakers Polk makes are the Signature Series but I'm not sure they are available in India.

Klipsch does make one excellent sub and one decent one; the R115SW is excellent but likely far to expensive for you so if the R112SW is available and much cheaper than the SVS I'd consider that as the R115SW, unlike smaller Klipsch subs, actually hit its stated frequency response in pro reviews.
Polk Audio Signature S20 & S10 are available here. Not sure about others though.
The above subs you mentioned [RS112SW] costs here over 60k INR here.. IE, over 950 US dollars. Not speaking about the other one.

Last edited by Bichu; 09-13-2017 at 08:19 AM.
post #17 of 43 Old 09-13-2017, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you don't have a sub, the amp (AVR) and main speakers are producing the lowest bass, which is a strain. With a subwoofer, IF there is a highpass filter (which many stereo amps stupidly fail to incorporate even when they have "sub out" jacks), the lowest bass is sent to the subwoofer instead, and the main amp and speakers can enjoy less distortion and more sound output without strain.

With bookshelf speakers, even something like the 10" JBL will fill in the low bass. But the true subwoofers start more around $400-500 US, so what is best for you really depends on what you can get in your area. If you put up some specific models and prices I'm sure you can get some good opinions.
Sure, Let me do some research and decide on 4-5 available ones to chose one.
post #18 of 43 Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Polk Audio Signature S20 & S10 are available here. Not sure about others though.
The above subs you mentioned [RS112SW] costs here over 60k INR here.. IE, over 950 US dollars. Not speaking about the other one.
Well, you're going to laugh but if you are in a budget crunch on subs, in my secondary room I have two Yamaha SW012s and while they are tiny 8 inch subs I can tell you that in MY room, with them not even within 3 feet of any wall, they DO hit 28hz so I'd get two of those if you can as many other much more expensive subs can't hit 30hz.

Sound and Vision tested the Signature Series and came to the conclusion that the towers were really not necessary for Home Theater and that the S20s with subs would be just about as good as the towers with subs so I'd save money there by not buying towers, (if they are available).

I'd buy the S20s over any "T" range Polk tower speaker when using a sub.

Geoff A. J., California
post #19 of 43 Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No, if HT/TV is your main use then your spending priorities should be center, then sub, then front L/R. The center does 70-80% of the audio output during HT, so THAT is what you're actually hearing. Towers are unnecessary if you have a decent subwoofer.

If you have to go with Polk, I'd go with the S series since it should be a lot cheaper than the RTi while probably being equally good for HT: maybe a pair of S20 with the S35 center?

An SVS PB1000 would be well worth the expense.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #20 of 43 Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, you're going to laugh but if you are in a budget crunch on subs, in my secondary room I have two Yamaha SW012s and while they are tiny 8 inch subs I can tell you that in MY room, with them not even within 3 feet of any wall, they DO hit 28hz so I'd get two of those if you can as many other much more expensive subs can't hit 30hz.

Sound and Vision tested the Signature Series and came to the conclusion that the towers were really not necessary for Home Theater and that the S20s with subs would be just about as good as the towers with subs so I'd save money there by not buying towers, (if they are available).

I'd buy the S20s over any "T" range Polk tower speaker when using a sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
No, if HT/TV is your main use then your spending priorities should be center, then sub, then front L/R. The center does 70-80% of the audio output during HT, so THAT is what you're actually hearing. Towers are unnecessary if you have a decent subwoofer.

If you have to go with Polk, I'd go with the S series since it should be a lot cheaper than the RTi while probably being equally good for HT: maybe a pair of S20 with the S35 center?

An SVS PB1000 would be well worth the expense.
Thanks for the inputs guys.
So basically what you guys are saying is going for a decent sub will makeup the use of a let's say RTi 7 or a RTi 5? [Towers]
I can go for S35 as center channel. Is there any other better options other than S20 as surround speakers? Seems a bit cheap compared to others. There is no compromise on sound quality as this is my 1st real HT setup on my new home.

For subs I'm going to list down models which are available in here.

Polk Audio DSW PRO660i
Klipsch R-12SW 12-Inch Front-Firing 400W Max Subwoofer
post #21 of 43 Old 09-13-2017, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

SVS PB-1000 - Available in here for 75K+ INR. Probably no warranty.

Polk Audio DSW PRO660i - 44K INR. 3 years warranty.
post #22 of 43 Old 09-13-2017, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
I can go for S35 as center channel.
I think the S30 is probably considered better. Larger drivers. S35 is good if you have major space limitations with a center.

Not to throw you off the Polk track if you want to go that way, but I do see some other options on amazon india if you want to consider them:

Qacoustic 3020s + 3090 (around same ballpark as what S20 +S30 would cost you).
Kef Q300 + Q200 (or 600) (approx. 2x cost of Polk S20+S30)

Maybe you can find them cheaper somewhere else, or want to stick with the Polks... just mentioning what my eyeballs ran across.
Bichu likes this.
post #23 of 43 Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
SVS PB-1000 - Available in here for 75K+ INR. Probably no warranty.

Polk Audio DSW PRO660i - 44K INR. 3 years warranty.
I would still get the SVS over the Polk sub. You should be able to pay for the price jump by going with the RTiA3 instead of the RTi towers...yes for HT the towers are useless compared to getting a decent sub like that SVS.

Is JBL available where you are?

post #24 of 43 Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs guys.
So basically what you guys are saying is going for a decent sub will makeup the use of a let's say RTi 7 or a RTi 5? [Towers]
I can go for S35 as center channel. Is there any other better options other than S20 as surround speakers? Seems a bit cheap compared to others. There is no compromise on sound quality as this is my 1st real HT setup on my new home.

For subs I'm going to list down models which are available in here.

Polk Audio DSW PRO660i
Klipsch R-12SW 12-Inch Front-Firing 400W Max Subwoofer
The S30 center would be the better choice but Sound and Vision found the S35 center to be quite good as well.

As Doe Doe mentioned, Q Acoustics are a solid alternative, even their subwoofer is better than the Klipsch and Polk as it has been verified to have ruler flat response down to 34 hz which neither of the others does.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review

Many of us have tested Q Acoustics in our homes and found they live up to the promise of their reviews in the press.

So between Q Acoustics and the Polk Signatures, whichever is cheaper but do NOT buy the Polk sub and you can buy the Q Acoustics sub if budget is tight to go with the Polks.

The SVS is the best sub choice of all of course.

Geoff A. J., California
post #25 of 43 Old 09-14-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So between Q Acoustics and the Polk Signatures, whichever is cheaper but do NOT buy the Polk sub and you can buy the Q Acoustics sub if budget is tight to go with the Polks.

Has anyone here compared the Polk S against the Qacoustics directly?

I'd assume the ranking for the ones mentioned here would be Kef > Qacoustics > Polk ... but that is probably subjective.

As for subs, just going by amazon, I also see Bic F12/1220 at 28K, and PL200 at 37.8K ... not ideal, just not sure what budget constraints the OP is under. They'd probably be considered adequate entry-level subs.
post #26 of 43 Old 09-14-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Has anyone here compared the Polk S against the Qacoustics directly?

I'd assume the ranking for the ones mentioned here would be Kef > Qacoustics > Polk ... but that is probably subjective.

As for subs, just going by amazon, I also see Bic F12/1220 at 28K, and PL200 at 37.8K ... not ideal, just not sure what budget constraints the OP is under. They'd probably be considered adequate entry-level subs.
Looking solely at the frequency response charts for the Polk Signatures and Q Acoustics on Sound and Vision shows the Q Acoustics sub and center to have much flatter frequency response but the bookshelves for both to have reasonably flat charts so a toss up there it would seem.

KEF seems out of the OP's budget considering that, for Home Theater, the margin would be smaller than for purely music where the KEFs would shine.

For Home Theater Bichu would probably best served with choosing either brand but shoot for SVS sub followed by QA sub, Klipsch sub and Polk sub bringing up the rear.

Only the SVS sub plays below 30hz with authority.

The Q Acoustics sub is an excellent sub choice for music.

Geoff A. J., California
post #27 of 43 Old 09-14-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
KEF seems out of the OP's budget considering that, for Home Theater, the margin would be smaller than for purely music where the KEFs would shine.

For Home Theater Bichu would probably best served with choosing either brand but shoot for SVS sub followed by QA sub, Klipsch sub and Polk sub bringing up the rear.

I'm not sure if the Qacoustic sub is even available where he is, or its price. Amazon india carries some Qacoustics... just not the entire range. And it seems the SVS sub he can get probably has no warranty at all.

Kefs probably out of his budget, but I might counter they'd be better for HT over the Polks/Qacoustics, simply because of the size/quality of the center speaker. Although if way over his budget, it's kind of moot.
post #28 of 43 Old 09-14-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The S30 center would be the better choice but Sound and Vision found the S35 center to be quite good as well.

As Doe Doe mentioned, Q Acoustics are a solid alternative, even their subwoofer is better than the Klipsch and Polk as it has been verified to have ruler flat response down to 34 hz which neither of the others does.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review

Many of us have tested Q Acoustics in our homes and found they live up to the promise of their reviews in the press.

Q acoustics not available here. SVC costs almost double of Polk sub.+ without warranty too.. I don't want to take such risks over high end sub.
All that is left is Klipsch it seems.
post #29 of 43 Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Q acoustics not available here. SVC costs almost double of Polk sub.+ without warranty too.. I don't want to take such risks over high end sub.
All that is left is Klipsch it seems.
The Klipsch sub should be superior to the Polk.

Geoff A. J., California
post #30 of 43 Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looking solely at the frequency response charts for the Polk Signatures and Q Acoustics on Sound and Vision shows the Q Acoustics sub and center to have much flatter frequency response but the bookshelves for both to have reasonably flat charts so a toss up there it would seem.

I rarely listen to music, Most times, just movies. I guess on a 80 to 20 ratio. or even 85-15.
I have a decent collection of Blu-Ray titles,Mostly Hollywood movies.
Samsung BD-H6500 is my BD player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page