Can't decide what to get! Help me pick AVS - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Can't decide what to get! Help me pick AVS

I am having a dilemma deciding on what speakers to get. Perhaps those who have heard them can help me decide. Feel free to throw out others not listed here.

Due to WAF and room size, I am limited to bookshelves for the L/R and in-ceiling speakers for surrounds. This will be a 5.1 system only for now. Do not want large bookshelves. The candidates I list below are about the limit in size I would like to stick too.

Sitting distance is only 6ft from the center, and maybe 8ft from the position of the L/R

My focus is on HT/Movie performance. 2ch music probably only sees 10-20% max use.

Current Equipment:
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR3008
SUB: PSA V1801

Here are the candidates I have come up with based solely on research. I have only been able to listen to the Klipsch and Def techs at my local Best Buy.

L/R: Klipsch RP-150m
Center: Klipsch RP-450C
Surrounds: Klipsch CDT-5650-C II

L/R: HSU HB-1 MK2
Center: HSU HC-1 MK2
Surrounds: ? (Perhaps the RSL C34E would match okay?)

L/R: Chane A1.4
Center: Chane A2.4
Surrounds: RSL C34E? Or something else to better match?

L/R: Definitive Technology SM45
Center: Definitive Technology SM65
Surrounds: Definitive Technology DT6.5R

L/R: JBL Studio 230
Center: JBL Studio 235C
Surrounds: JBL Studio 2 6IC

I have zeroed in on these ones. Hope to hear opinions of AVS steer me in a direction. Thanks!

Sight and Sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 255
#4 I can tell you is very, very good. With the sale going on you could do all SM 65s. I have SM 65 LCR and SM 55 surrounds and it's actually pretty awesome. I'm sure the others are good but these I have first hand knowledge of. Very accurate and detailed speakers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #3 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I haven't listened to all the ones you've listed. However, I have had the deftech sm 65, and every states how great they are, but to me, they didn't come close to the clarity and detail of my kef q300. I bought them because I had liked how they demoed in the store, but when a/b in my home vs my kefs they just fell short. I kept them for about 3 weeks, trying to tune, tweak, and adjust, but neither I nor my wife could appreciate them as much, so back they went.

I know the kefs are not on your list, but the chanes are found by others to be comparable in the clarity, imaging, and detail. Just so not pretty. I'd suggest you do a couple in home demos, as the deftechs can be returned to bb if you dislike them, and peruse the boards to see if any here have listened to both.

post #4 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.C View Post
I have only been able to listen to the Klipsch and Def techs at my local Best Buy.
With such a close sitting distance, output should not be much of an issue for you. Any of the bookshelf speakers listed should work well.

What did you like and dislike about the Klipsch and Def Techs, and what aspects would you try to improve upon? If you don't find specific faults in either, then you should try one set at home.
post #5 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3704 Post(s)
Liked: 2655
Quote:

Since your focus is on HT not music, it would come down to the JBLs vs the Chanes. The JBLs would have the edge in WAF as well as the possibility of the always-sacred "timbre match" all the way around, if you subscribe to that belief.

If you are sensitive to high frequency overload (some folks are, some aren't) then the Hsu would be the safest bet because they are widely reported to have a gentle treble roll-off...and if you get the Rosewood veneer they would win a lot of WAF points.

The Klipsch RP's main advantage is that you can buy them at BB and easily return them if you don't like them plus they have pretty cabinets, but they are at least 30% more expensive than the others while offering similar ballpark performance.

Personally I'd lean towards the Chanes, with the JBL a close second but this is without WAF being considered.
audiofreak38 and leecreek like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Hard to say on the Klipsch as they didn't have the exact speakers I am looking at to listen to. Only the towers. But I did like the way they sounded. Better than the def techs to my ears, but that is comparing towers to bookshelves which may not be fair in this case.

Sight and Sound
post #7 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Since your focus is on HT not music, it would come down to the JBLs vs the Chanes. The JBLs would have the edge in WAF as well as the possibility of the always-sacred "timbre match" all the way around, if you subscribe to that belief.

If you are sensitive to high frequency overload (some folks are, some aren't) then the Hsu would be the safest bet because they are widely reported to have a gentle treble roll-off...and if you get the Rosewood veneer they would win a lot of WAF points.

The Klipsch RP's main advantage is that you can buy them at BB and easily return them if you don't like them plus they have pretty cabinets, but they are at least 30% more expensive than the others while offering similar ballpark performance.

Personally I'd lean towards the Chanes, with the JBL a close second but this is without WAF being considered.

Thanks for the input. The Chanes are very attractive. I am not as concerned about timbre matching the in-ceiling surrounds as much as I am the front 3. I just have no idea what in-ceiling speaker would "best match" the Chanes.

The JBL's seem to be out of stock everywhere I look. So those might be out of the running if that is the case.

Sight and Sound
post #8 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1538
I'd add these to the list as well,

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...enter-channel/

Either three of these or 2 CG3 and the one CG23.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #9 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
The JBL's seem to be out of stock everywhere I look. So those might be out of the running if that is the case.
They are here
https://www.parts-express.com/jbl-st...black--322-614

https://www.parts-express.com/jbl-st...black--322-626

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #10 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Quote:
They are here
https://www.parts-express.com/jbl-st...black--322-614

https://www.parts-express.com/jbl-st...black--322-626
Oh thank you! I wish the 230s were still $300 lol. Would make it an easy purchase I think

The RSL speakers price is very attractive. Curious how they fare as cinema speakers ? The small woofers make me a little skeptical.

Sight and Sound
post #11 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 86
For the chanes you'd use the chane a2.4 for center, or could go with the emotiva airmotiv c2, it has a similar folded ribbon tweeter and should be close. But I'd stick with the 2.4. It's supposed to be really really good.
post #12 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Barrere View Post
For the chanes you'd use the chane a2.4 for center, or could go with the emotiva airmotiv c2, it has a similar folded ribbon tweeter and should be close. But I'd stick with the 2.4. It's supposed to be really really good.
Sir Dracula just reported that the 2.4s aren't in stock anymore, waiting for a refresh at year's end, I think. So if the OP does want to go the Chane route, he should doublecheck before ordering... or he may end up with something weird, like 1.4s arriving and 2.4s not in stock until Jan.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #13 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I am having a dilemma deciding on what speakers to get. Perhaps those who have heard them can help me decide. Feel free to throw out others not listed here.

Due to WAF and room size, I am limited to bookshelves for the L/R and in-ceiling speakers for surrounds. This will be a 5.1 system only for now. Do not want large bookshelves. The candidates I list below are about the limit in size I would like to stick too.

Sitting distance is only 6ft from the center, and maybe 8ft from the position of the L/R

My focus is on HT/Movie performance. 2ch music probably only sees 10-20% max use.

Current Equipment:
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR3008
SUB: PSA V1801

Here are the candidates I have come up with based solely on research. I have only been able to listen to the Klipsch and Def techs at my local Best Buy.

I have zeroed in on these ones. Hope to hear opinions of AVS steer me in a direction. Thanks!
it's easy, just go up your nose & pick out a winner.
Adam.C likes this.

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #14 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 800
https://www.soundandvision.com/categ...peaker-reviews
Adam.C likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #15 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh thank you! I wish the 230s were still $300 lol. Would make it an easy purchase I think

The RSL speakers price is very attractive. Curious how they fare as cinema speakers ? The small woofers make me a little skeptical.
RSL speakers are very, very good at movies. I have CG3s for stereo sound in the bedroom and I wouldn't not hesitate to build a full system using RSL speakers. If I were building an HT for the main room in my house I'd go with CG 23 or CG 24s. Great customer service also. Send Joe an email and you'll see.

post #16 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
If going with Qacoustics, I'd say get at least 3020s. That set is made up of four 3010s.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #17 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. The Chanes are very attractive. I am not as concerned about timbre matching the in-ceiling surrounds as much as I am the front 3. I just have no idea what in-ceiling speaker would "best match" the Chanes.

ok, so it sounds like the Chanes and JBLs are both out of stock.

In which case I'd move the Ascend 170SE with 340SE center to the top of your list, $626 shipped:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../spkrlist.html
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...isor.mv#bottom

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #18 of 33 Old 09-12-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ok, looks like both Chanes and JBL are sold out.

In that case I'd go with a pair of Ascend 170 with 340 center, $626 shipped.

For HT I'd take them over the QAs by a long shot, and they do music well too.

post #19 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Barrere View Post
I looked at the Emotiva speakers. I like the way they look, and they seem well regarding. A little hesitant as they seem like they might be hard to drive and require me grabbing one of their amps. I am trying to downsize! lol.

Sight and Sound
post #20 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Sir Dracula just reported that the 2.4s aren't in stock anymore, waiting for a refresh at year's end, I think. So if the OP does want to go the Chane route, he should doublecheck before ordering... or he may end up with something weird, like 1.4s arriving and 2.4s not in stock until Jan.
Well that kills the Chanes. I could wait as I do have speakers. Energy RC series.

Sight and Sound
post #21 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
RSL speakers are very, very good at movies. I have CG3s for stereo sound in the bedroom and I wouldn't not hesitate to build a full system using RSL speakers. If I were building an HT for the main room in my house I'd go with CG 23 or CG 24s. Great customer service also. Send Joe an email and you'll see.

Read some reviews on these. Seem well liked. Also seem like they are a little hard to drive as well. They are on my list now though.

Sight and Sound
post #22 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Ok, looks like both Chanes and JBL are sold out.

In that case I'd go with a pair of Ascend 170 with 340 center, $626 shipped.

For HT I'd take them over the QAs by a long shot, and they do music well too.
I am still trying to convince the wife to go with tower speakers. We will see. I like the Ascends. We have two little kids (3 and 1 yo). So I am a little concerned with bookshelves on stands getting knocked over. At least with towers they are sturdy. I should have mentioned I currently own Energy RC series speakers (RC-30 and RC-LCR). Have never had an issue with them potentially harming them. I don't need towers in my small space, I just feel more at peace with them lol.

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions. I am going to try and listen to what I can in person. I was dead set on getting the Klipsch for a while. But I thought I should look around for alternative options. Coming from Energy RC speakers, which are warm and always thought they were lacking for home theater use.

Sight and Sound
post #23 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Read some reviews on these. Seem well liked. Also seem like they are a little hard to drive as well. They are on my list now though.
I'm not sure what the efficiency is, high 80s no? That shouldn't be too hard to drive. Good speakers though.

Adam.C likes this.
post #24 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
I looked at the Emotiva speakers. I like the way they look, and they seem well regarding. A little hesitant as they seem like they might be hard to drive and require me grabbing one of their amps. I am trying to downsize! lol.
They will be fine with something like your Onkyo
Adam.C likes this.

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #25 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am still trying to convince the wife to go with tower speakers. We will see. I like the Ascends. We have two little kids (3 and 1 yo). So I am a little concerned with bookshelves on stands getting knocked over. At least with towers they are sturdy. I should have mentioned I currently own Energy RC series speakers (RC-30 and RC-LCR). Have never had an issue with them potentially harming them. I don't need towers in my small space, I just feel more at peace with them lol.

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions. I am going to try and listen to what I can in person. I was dead set on getting the Klipsch for a while. But I thought I should look around for alternative options. Coming from Energy RC speakers, which are warm and always thought they were lacking for home theater use.
The Ascends' sound signature is in between "bright" and "warm"---otherwise known as "neutral" which is why they are very versatile and have wide appeal, they are not a speaker you either love or hate.

Their OEM stands use a dual-bolt mounting plate in the rear to lock the speaker onto the stand, creating what is pretty much a one piece unit. (see photo)

Each 340SE weighs 26lbs so added to the 50lb weight of each stand, you're talking about a 76lb tower speaker...pretty much bulletproof! Your cats would probably just bounce off even if they did a running tackle, lol.

Granted, the 340 with OEM stand is never going to be quite as pretty as those Klipsch RP towers, but WAF doesn't seem to be a huge deal with you if you like the look of the Chanes, and your wallet will also be happier with them compared to the cost of the RP towers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ascend OEM stands rear attachment.jpg (5.1 KB, 15 views)
Adam.C likes this.

post #26 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4142 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:

Actually, your decision is quite simple.

Start with the Klipsch with their easy returns at Best Buy and I'm guessing you won't need to try any of the rest.

Good news is that they do offer a small RP250F tower which with small kids might make a lot of sense and even though they would be quite close to the back wall as you are crossing over to your very impressive sub at 80hz anyway port effect won't be an issue.

I gave my very nice B&W stand mount speakers to my daughter and have towers now as it was the damned cats that kept knocking them over!

If they don't do it for you move on to the Def Tecs from Best Buy, again, with easy returns.

But I'd also consider the Polk Signature series at Best Buy as they have the S50 towers at just $500/pair and they have been very well received by the Pro Press and AVS owners.
Adam.C likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #27 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Actually, your decision is quite simple.

Start with the Klipsch with their easy returns at Best Buy and I'm guessing you won't need to try any of the rest.

Good news is that they do offer a small RP250F tower which with small kids might make a lot of sense and even though they would be quite close to the back wall as you are crossing over to your very impressive sub at 80hz anyway port effect won't be an issue.

I gave my very nice B&W stand mount speakers to my daughter and have towers now as it was the damned cats that kept knocking them over!

If they don't do it for you move on to the Def Tecs from Best Buy, again, with easy returns.

But I'd also consider the Polk Signature series at Best Buy as they have the S50 towers at just $500/pair and they have been very well received by the Pro Press and AVS owners.
Yeah the Klipsch is what I was dead set on for quite a while.

Sight and Sound
post #28 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am still trying to convince the wife to go with tower speakers.
If your wife approves larger speakers, I'll throw in another option just to confuse you more, canton chrono 502 + 505 (accessories4less). Front three would run you $680. They're bookshelves, but not exactly small bookshelves (if small is required).
post #29 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
If your wife approves larger speakers, I'll throw in another option just to confuse you more, canton chrono 502 + 505 (accessories4less). Front three would run you $680. They're bookshelves, but not exactly small bookshelves (if small is required).
Thanks. Honestly I am trying to steer the wife into towers again. We'll see lol. I mean we have towers right now... She just wants a more minimal setup, but I went and bought a V1801 hahahaha. She was not that pleased when she saw it.

Sight and Sound
post #30 of 33 Old 09-13-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4142 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:
Thanks. Honestly I am trying to steer the wife into towers again. We'll see lol. I mean we have towers right now... She just wants a more minimal setup, but I went and bought a V1801 hahahaha. She was not that pleased when she saw it.
Measure the width of your speakers; the Klipsch RP250Fs are very very narrow so present a minimal 'face' when seated on the couch.

A hair less than 8" wide.

Not very intrusive looking with the grill on.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page