Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 09-12-2017, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Center upgrade

I'm in need of a center channel speaker upgrade. My current setup is a Denon Avr-x2200, 2 Infinity Primus P363's, 3 P163's(1 as center) and a HSU Vtf-15 mk1. My main issue with the 163 is a lack of clear dialogue. As far as music goes, I find the 363's to be a little blah. I guess veiled would be a better description.

My requirement for upgrading the center besides clear dialogue, is that it must be from a company that has heavy/stable towers. I will eventually upgrade my L&R speakers to match. My reason for towers is because I have 2 cats. Bengals, to be more specific, that weigh 17 and 19 lbs. They love to sit on the towers and jump from them often. One of the towers has already been knocked down and damaged. For reference, I believe these towers to be about 49 lbs. I'm sure that bookshelves on stands wouldn't last long.

In a brief search, I found the Klipsch RP-450C. The 280F towers weigh 62 lbs, so they may be more stable. The RP line seems to have mostly favorable reviews from what I've read. Admittedly I'm relatively new to this hobby and don't know what kind of sound I prefer. I definitely like bass, but the Hsu has more than enough for my apartment. WAF isn't an issue(I pay all of the bills!), 80% HT/gaming, and budget is preferably around $500 per speaker.

What about wall mounting L&R bookshelves?

Thank you and I appreciate all suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-12-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3695 Post(s)
Liked: 2646
The best bang-for-the-buck solution for your need to be able to upgrade to super stable cat-proof towers in the future would IMO be the Ascend 340SE.

Here's the center, $324 shipped:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...c/cmt340c.html

When the time comes, get these for your front L/R for about $600 shipped:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m/cmt340m.html
With these tower-look OEM stands which are sand-fillable to +100lbs for $180 shipped:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...stlcmt340.html

Ascend is widely known for a crystal clear, neutral and accurate midrange. Unlike most speaker companies, they provide highly detailed measurements to back up their claims:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...t340mmeas.html

The 340s are also very easy for any receiver to drive to high volumes without distortion due to their high sensitivity. I used to have an LCR front stage of them in a huge open plan space with 18 ft cathedral ceilings, and they never broke a sweat even with my cheap $250 AVR.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 34 Old 09-12-2017, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I assume there is a way to attach the speakers to the stands?
Is this a better center than the Klipsch?
How are they for music? While music is only about 20% now, I would probably listen more with better speakers.

post #4 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Bolt your speakers to the floor........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00262.JPG (162.3 KB, 35 views)
post #5 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmentals View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I assume there is a way to attach the speakers to the stands?
Is this a better center than the Klipsch?
How are they for music? While music is only about 20% now, I would probably listen more with better speakers.
Yes, the speakers are locked onto the stands using a dual-bolt mounting plate, making it basically one unit, weighing about 75lbs in total when filled.

The Ascend's neutrality will have a wider appeal than the Klipsch's treble-lean which can evoke love or hate polarized reactions, so they are IMO more versatile. The main drawback of those Ascends is that they aren't as pretty as the Klipsch, but your wallet will thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ascend OEM stands rear attachment.jpg (5.1 KB, 23 views)

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecreek View Post
Bolt your speakers to the floor........
HAHAHA! I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately I rent.
leecreek likes this.
post #7 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Yes, the speakers are locked onto the stands using a dual-bolt mounting plate, making it basically one unit, weighing about 75lbs in total when filled.

The Ascend's neutrality will have a wider appeal than the Klipsch's treble-lean which can evoke love or hate polarized reactions, so they are IMO more versatile. The main drawback of those Ascends is that they aren't as pretty as the Klipsch, but your wallet will thank you.
I like the stands, but the speakers are ugly..
post #8 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked: 1569
Quote:
I'm in need of a center channel speaker upgrade. My current setup is a Denon Avr-x2200, 2 Infinity Primus P363's, 3 P163's(1 as center) 80% HT/gaming, and budget is preferably around $500 per speaker.

I am not a real fan of the Infinity Primus series -- Yes you can wall-mount bookshelf speakers

Wall mounts
https://www.amazon.com/Halter-Adjust...r+mounts&psc=1

Now a realistic big step up would be Canton Chrono speakers

the Center - extra 20% off
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...r-black/1.html

Bookshelf -- extra 20% off
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #9 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I like the stands, but the speakers are ugly..
Funny, I always felt the opposite: the stands IMO are kind of ugly, the speakers are plain but inoffensive.

You want ugly, look at the Ascend 170SE. The weird boxy shape might grow on you though, if you're one to like cars like the Nissan Cube and Scion Xb or Honda Element.
darthray likes this.

post #10 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Funny, I always felt the opposite: the stands IMO are kind of ugly, the speakers are plain but inoffensive.

You want ugly, look at the Ascend 170SE. The weird boxy shape might grow on you though, if you're one to like cars like the Nissan Cube and Scion Xb or Honda Element.
Actually, I think all of their speakers are ugly except for the Sierra's. I'm definitely interested in the 2's with RAAL, but don't have that kind of cash flow at the moment(I can't wait for my wife to finish college..).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I am not a real fan of the Infinity Primus series -- Yes you can wall-mount bookshelf speakers

Wall mounts
https://www.amazon.com/Halter-Adjust...r+mounts&psc=1

Now a realistic big step up would be Canton Chrono speakers

the Center - extra 20% off
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...r-black/1.html

Bookshelf -- extra 20% off
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html
I know that bookshelf speakers can be mounted, as I have my rears on similair mounts. I guess what I meant was can they be mounted without affecting the sound?

I cant seem to find any reviews on the Cantons. Do you have them?
post #11 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I cant seem to find any reviews on the Cantons. Do you have them?
My subjective review is here -- the drivers are the same as the Chrono
Canton GLS 2 Bookshelf (A Good Speaker)

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #12 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually, I think all of their speakers are ugly except for the Sierra's. I'm definitely interested in the 2's with RAAL, but don't have that kind of cash flow at the moment(I can't wait for my wife to finish college..).
The 340s and 200s aren't bad looking in real life...the clinical white-background photos on the outdated website just doesn't do them any favors unfortunately. But yeah, their marketing strategy is to hook you with the still-fabulous bang-for-the-buck of the 170/200/340 black MDF speakers, then give you upgrade-itus for the nicer looking bamboo-cabinet Sierra series which IMO are mainly worth it only if critical musical listening is at least 50% of your usage but which probably are much more profitable to sell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ascend 340 on nicer stands.JPG (169.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Ascend 200 sides and rears.jpg (506.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Ascend 340 on nicer stands2.JPG (118.0 KB, 14 views)

post #13 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
And a take on the Chrono center here from a happy owner
Need a very low profile center

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #14 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Uuummmmm..Time to find the cats a new home.

CC

Vizio M65-D0
post #15 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcarter View Post
Naw, time to buy some double-sided tape and put it on top of the speakers. This will quickly break their habit of jumping on top, because having to use extra force to pull their paws off will freak them out...it's a classic cat training technique.
darthray likes this.

post #16 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No way! They cost about $2600 and I actually like them. The dog, he could go.
darthray likes this.
post #17 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Naw, time to buy some double-sided tape and put it on top of the speakers. This will quickly break their habit of jumping on top, because having to use extra force to pull their paws off will freak them out...it's a classic cat training technique.
I guess I could give this a try. I don't mind them getting on the towers, I just don't want them knocked down.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #18 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
And a take on the Chrono center here from a happy owner
Need a very low profile center
They seem like they would be an improvement. Honestly though, mounting bookshelves will be a last resort. If going that route, I've already considered the new Hsu's, Revel M16, SVS Ultra, and Rp-160m's. I really need to go out and listen to some different speakers.
post #19 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
They seem like they would be an improvement. Honestly though, mounting bookshelves will be a last resort. If going that route, I've already considered the new Hsu's, Revel M16, SVS Ultra, and Rp-160m's. I really need to go out and listen to some different speakers.
While you can mount a bookshelf -- for me, it would be as a last resort -- I overall prefer to place them on stands, or on a counter, but not in a cubby hole.

You have several options to look at -- and yes it is beneficial to audition some, to hear some different sonic sound signatures

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #20 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I'm in need of a center channel speaker upgrade. My current setup is a Denon Avr-x2200, 2 Infinity Primus P363's, 3 P163's(1 as center) and a HSU Vtf-15 mk1. My main issue with the 163 is a lack of clear dialogue. As far as music goes, I find the 363's to be a little blah. I guess veiled would be a better description.

My requirement for upgrading the center besides clear dialogue, is that it must be from a company that has heavy/stable towers. I will eventually upgrade my L&R speakers to match. My reason for towers is because I have 2 cats. Bengals, to be more specific, that weigh 17 and 19 lbs. They love to sit on the towers and jump from them often. One of the towers has already been knocked down and damaged. For reference, I believe these towers to be about 49 lbs. I'm sure that bookshelves on stands wouldn't last long.

In a brief search, I found the Klipsch RP-450C. The 280F towers weigh 62 lbs, so they may be more stable. The RP line seems to have mostly favorable reviews from what I've read. Admittedly I'm relatively new to this hobby and don't know what kind of sound I prefer. I definitely like bass, but the Hsu has more than enough for my apartment. WAF isn't an issue(I pay all of the bills!), 80% HT/gaming, and budget is preferably around $500 per speaker.

Martin Logan esl c34a that's all you need.
post #21 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Honestly though, mounting bookshelves will be a last resort. If going that route, I've already considered the new Hsu's, Revel M16, SVS Ultra, and Rp-160m's. I really need to go out and listen to some different speakers.
For wall-mounting I would sooner give a sealed cabinet speaker like the NHT SuperOne or C1/C3 a spin.

post #22 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protan71 View Post
Martin Logan esl c34a that's all you need.
Even if I had $4,500 to spend, I don't think I would get them.
post #23 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you get rid of the cats, all speakers are cat-proof. And won't even get peed on. And no fur to deal with.
post #24 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
No way! They cost about $2600 and I actually like them. The dog, he could go.

LOL

I am a Cat Lovers and got a little fortune spend on Vet bills paid over the years (do not regret a single pennies, money can be forgotten).
For the Dog, destructive?
It could be anxiety behaver (missing you guys).

Quote:

If you click on my signature, you will see that none of my speakers/subs in my Theater, have any grills on.
None of my 3 cats ever touch them, or the fancy wires!
They are declaw on the front paws, but still go through the motion on the furniture.

Ray
post #25 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
LOL

I am a Cat Lovers and got a little fortune spend on Vet bills paid over the years (do not regret a single pennies, money can be forgotten).
For the Dog, destructive?
It could be anxiety behaver (missing you guys).

If you click on my signature, you will see that none of my speakers/subs in my Theater, have any grills on.
None of my 3 cats ever touch them, or the fancy wires!
They are declaw on the front paws, but still go through the motion on the furniture.

Ray
I am just not a dog person. Since we live in an apartment, I didn't want a dog, my wife did. They just require more work i.e: walking, bathing, picking up poop. Cats just fit my personality and lifestyle better. At least they don't scratch the speakers or furniture. If we had full carpet instead of the area rug, the speaker wouldn't have been damaged.

[IMG]20170826_150447 by gmentals, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20151206_132605 by gmentals, on Flickr[/IMG]
This one does occasionally scratch carpet..
post #26 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 798
cat training

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #27 of 34 Old 09-15-2017, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

What about the Airmotiv T2 & C2 speakers? They are listed as 4 ohm with sensitivities of 91 and 92. I wonder how my AVR would do with them. Actually my current speakers are technically 4 ohm, so I should be ok?
post #28 of 34 Old 09-15-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What about the Airmotiv T2 & C2 speakers? They are listed as 4 ohm with sensitivities of 91 and 92. I wonder how my AVR would do with them. Actually my current speakers are technically 4 ohm, so I should be ok?
If HT is your main usage and you have the budget and the space, I'd get the C2 in a heartbeat. The T2 I'd get if 2.0 music listening is important for you.

If your AVR says it's 4ohm capable you should be fine unless you REALLY like to blast your speakers.

post #29 of 34 Old 09-15-2017, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If HT is your main usage and you have the budget and the space, I'd get the C2 in a heartbeat. The T2 I'd get if 2.0 music listening is important for you.

If your AVR says it's 4ohm capable you should be fine unless you REALLY like to blast your speakers.
Apparently my receiver is listed as 4 ohm compatible. "For compatibility with the widest range of loudspeaker models, the AVR-X2200W is also equipped with low impedance drive capability, to provide operational stability with speakers rated at 4 ohms".

I think I will either get the Airmotiv C2 or the RP-450c next week. I would like music listening to be more enjoyable. I assume that either the T2's or RP-280F's would be a big improvement over my Primus setup. I appreciate everyone's input and I hope to be able to come back with some good news.

In a brief search, I found a company that makes outriggers for speakers. They are a little pricey though starting at $131 per speaker! http://www.soundocity.com/Straight_End_Rubber_Feet.html
post #30 of 34 Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
I am just not a dog person. Since we live in an apartment, I didn't want a dog, my wife did. They just require more work i.e: walking, bathing, picking up poop. Cats just fit my personality and lifestyle better. At least they don't scratch the speakers or furniture. If we had full carpet instead of the area rug, the speaker wouldn't have been damaged.

[IMG]20170826_150447 by gmentals, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20151206_132605 by gmentals, on Flickr[/IMG]
This one does occasionally scratch carpet..

For the first picture, Ouch, that one Hurt

I feel the same way about Cat versus Dog
My wife also want a Dog, but our life style is so buzy due to work requirement, that I told Her "go ahead, but you take care of this little thing [since it would be like the fish, and I take care of everything {cleaning the tank and so on}]".

For the second picture, Cute little thing, look so innocent
A Bangel, by any chance?
Mine are all rescue Taby.

Anyhow, back to the subject at hand.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page