Goldenear Triton1 or Klipsch ForteIII???? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By torii
  • 1 Post By LumensLover

post #1 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Goldenear Triton1 or Klipsch ForteIII????

I am thinking of trying a set of either of these speakers. I Can get a set of the Triton 1's for around the same price as the Klipsch Forte III's. Does anyone have an opinion for either of them? One thing to consider is i have to place them about 8-10 inches from a rear wall. I have the B&W CM10 S2's now and am looking for a little more impact or dynamic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I've used most of the GE Triton line in my demo space (I'm a dealer).

My favorite is the T2+ for best value.

I take it the T1's you are looking at are used.

Mike Miles
post #3 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The GE I have used (T1, T2+ and T5 currently) are all virtually in corners of a 14'8" x 26' room. If you have a good sub the T5 is an excellent choice.

Mike Miles

post #4 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
I've used most of the GE Triton line in my demo space (I'm a dealer).

My favorite is the T2+ for best value.

I take it the T1's you are looking at are used.
yes...there is a local set for sale in my area on USaudio mart

Do you sell B&W? and if you do , what are your opinions compared to the GE T1's?

I A/B demoed the T1's with the B&W CM8 S2's at my local dealer and the T1's (as they probably should) sounded better in almost every way. The CM8's were the only B&W Cm's they still had on display.

Last edited by phastm3; 09-19-2017 at 04:19 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not much experience with Bowers and Wilkens.

Mike Miles
post #6 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
I have calibrated and heard GE Triton 1s and many different Klipsch models, both modern and going back to the original Forte's vintage, though not the Forte III. The GE has much more finesse in the highs than Klipsch speakers in general, along with tighter, deeper bass at moderate volume. However, if you like things extra extra loud, Klipsch tend to hold together better. My only knock on GE is that a couple of their center channels tend to not handle much power in the midbass even when crossed over at 80-100 Hz, but of course that does not apply to the Triton 1s.

I would choose the GE.

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS500 and 600, JVC RS400, LG 65C7P, JVC RS420
Copied settings measured, older LG OLED calibration tips, Review index
post #7 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 837
if you listen loud klipsch...

goldenear gets lots of rewards from magazines and I dont think klipsch ever has...so resale value probally best with goldenear...I didnt like ge cause the tops of speakers werent flat therefore my box of tissues or remotes or cd's wouldnt stay

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #8 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post

goldenear gets lots of rewards from magazines and I dont think klipsch ever has...so resale value probally best with goldenear...I didnt like ge cause the tops of speakers werent flat therefore my box of tissues or remotes or cd's wouldnt stay
The Klipsch heritage stuff actually holds its value really well, a lot of that has to do with it being hand-built with low production volume though.

Still, those are two very different speakers, a modern slim powered tower on one hand, and an old-school monkey-coffin with horn-loaded compression drivers on the other. I haven't heard the new Fortes, and it does look like Klipsch has infused them with some of their new mojo that they've had success with in the RP series, so I'm sure they sound nice, but I'm also assuming they're tuned to cater to that old-school classic rock crowd (of course I could be wrong).

Just out of curiosity, what is it about those two particular speakers that got your attention? Is this a music setup or for HT use?

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #9 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

that's probably what would sell me on them.

Recently my nephew, an Eagle Scout no less, and one of the nicest, kindest, humblest 21 year old gentlemen you could ever have the pleasure to know, comes into my home and like a complete bonehead, the exact opposite of what he is, drops his immense key ring on top of my gloss black JLAudio F212. When I saw the keys there I almost had a canary. If he was a dickhead, I'd have blasted him for being so incredibly thoughtless and stupid. But because he did it so innocently and just didn't think, I said absolutely nothing. I took the key ring and placed it elsewhere.

Last week I have friends over and my buddy's wife, who is a bonehead, places her cheap pocketbook, with those round brass feet thingies, on top of my Klipsch speakers. Again, I couldn't believe anyone could be that stupid. I also did not want to make her feel bad and so I moved it.

Now on to the topic.

You figured out I have Klipsch. First time I've owned them. I also have Revel F208's in another room.

The Klipsch are great sounding speakers and will play to what seems like stadium levels without any breakup whatsoever.

I've auditioned recently GE T1's, having owned DefTec towers with built in subs and so was curious.

They are exceptionally smooth, have great integrated bass, and an uncanny ability to place a singer's voice dead center between the towers so that it literally hangs in space. For a music system hand's down they win.

For home theater, if you like to play it loud, Klipsch all day long.
post #10 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

klipsch owns the old school rock and roll crowd imo and they do well for hometheater. for music like classical or jazz or vocals gonna need to eq/dsp em. which isnt that hard but takes a second or to.
scottiemon likes this.

Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #11 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

way back in the day my klipsch 5.1 set of ksf models scored really high by brent butterworth...matching or even beating monitor audio at the time...Im not a klipsch hater even tho I like focal better for my genre of music like steely dan and pink floyd.

post #12 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is loud? Reference is VERY loud. For most shared spaces it is way to loud.

A dedicated and treated space maybenot.

Reference is reference but the result can be tamed and more pleasant in a purpose built space.

Mike Miles
post #13 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

loud in my space of 30x50x14 is about reference...and it takes alot to get that.

focals do about 100-105 db maxed out.

post #14 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:
klipsch owns the old school rock and roll crowd imo and they do well for hometheater. for music like classical or jazz or vocals gonna need to eq/dsp em. which isnt that hard but takes a second or to.
Klipsch can do subtlety as well, but they have a lot of speakers, with a huge range of performance and capability from the base R-Series junk they sell cheap at Best Buy to the well-reviewed and nice-for-theprice RP series and RF-7II/III, to the old-school Heritage line, to the ultra-expensive Palladium line, to live touring sound reinforcement options, and even pro-theater speakers (and 'secret menu' options like 2-way Jubilees for home use).

As far as loud goes, Klipsch speakers do tend to be more sensitive than most so that certainly helps, and horn loaded compression drivers are a great recipe for a lot of output.

At the same time, when I demoed the Triton Ones they also got ridiculously loud, and they could peel the paint off of the walls with those folded motion tweeters.

Another option - JBL is having a 50% off sale on their Studio 590s right now, which are amazing speakers and a steal at $475/per.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #15 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can never support jbl after getting screwed in te 90's by them for some 4k worth of gear...I just wont let it go.

post #16 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Maybe for the low end junk. Your statements don't apply to the Klipsch high end/pro cinema lines.
post #17 of 24 Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Maybe for the low end junk. Your statements don't apply to the Klipsch high end/pro cinema lines.
well i thought i was giving complement to klipsch...but I guess my favor for the low end junk I own is what it is.

post #18 of 24 Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is it about those two particular speakers that got your attention? Is this a music setup or for HT use?

Their full range ability, power handling, efficiency, ability to be placed close to a wall, hopeful sound quality, and the price i can get them for
post #19 of 24 Old 09-20-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 361
(warning, I'm a Klipsch owner)

As has been said....the Klipsch can play loud. Then again, so can my wife on Saturday mornings...

That said (that they will play loud), they will ALSO play quietly...

Just because you own a Ferrari that might go 200 mph, doesn't mean you have to go 200 mph... a Ferrari will also go 25 mph (and look nice doing it)

So if you dial them down to a lower level, they might be using less power than the "less loud" speaker... so your amp will be straining less (distorting less?) Also, their woofers might be woofing less.

As PWK (or someone) once said...."if it moves, it distorts" so the higher movement required by the "less loud" speaker means it's going to be distorting more than the Klipsch at the same loudness...

One of their driving goals is to raise sensitivity to lower distortion. One reason they love horns so much.
post #20 of 24 Old 09-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
well i thought i was giving complement to klipsch...but I guess my favor for the low end junk I own is what it is.
I apologize if I came across as rude. The point I was trying to make is that Klipsch has their low end, mid tier and high-end speaker lines like many speaker manufacturers. At times it frustrates me when people label Klipsch, JBL, etc as only being good for playing less articulate genres of music such as Rock and Roll.

The big box store junk from Klipsch and JBL is not impressive at all. However their high end lines and pro cinema lines offer exceptional articulation and clarity for all genres of music.
torii likes this.
post #21 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
My dealer carries the Forte III and they have a very detailed sound. You would need about 24" from the wall to get the best bass response. The amp is a big factor. Prima Luna and Yamaha intergrated work well w/the Forte III. But the absolute best amp I heard w/the Forte III is the 15 wpc Shindo Montille. Acoustic guitar strings sounded as if the guitar was in the room. Just lifted the veil over the entire performance. Gets 100% out of the Forte. You get a very wide range of amp choices w/the Forte from set amps to traditional solid state. WPC is really not a factor. Gives you the opportunity to tailor your sound.
post #22 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I get a kick out of people commenting on speakers they've never heard and dismissing one brand over the other because they read something once.

The Forte III are amazing speakers. Sure, they can play loud, but that's most definitely not all. They are probably the most realistic sounding speaker I've ever heard. Instruments sounded correct.

I cannot comment on the GE, never heard them. I'd also say that only you can judge a speaker for yourself.
post #23 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
These are very different speakers on many levels. I’d take the Golden Ear Tritons. But I’d need to consider material I primarily listen to, what’s driving them, average volume level, and decor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

Excellent comment.

To me the only true Klipsch are the Heritage line.

Now if you got the space and a baffle wall behind an AT screen the pro Jubilee line is increadble. Klipsch is in many Regal Cinemas.

The OP's space (16x14) also comes with some placement limitations to to room size and decor. GE should do fine even the Triton 2+

Mike Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page