$7K Budget 7.2.4 Atmos (Speakers + Receiver) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kini62
  • 1 Post By Kini62

post #1 of 21 Old 09-19-2017, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
$7K Budget 7.2.4 Atmos (Speakers + Receiver)

I'm laying out initial plans for a theater build out in a relatively small room, roughly 12'x25' (build thread to come!) but prior to proceeding with much design I'd like to have an idea of what speakers/receiver to go with. I'm no audiophile by any means but enjoy a nice cinema experience, and want something that will last the next 5-10 years.

Thinking a budget of $7K for a 7.2.4 Atmos setup including just the speakers and receiver.

Can anyone tell me a better bang for the buck than a build like this?

Speakers - Klipsch all around (can scoop most of this up next time Adorama does a $3k package deal or maybe Fry's deals)-
2x RF-7 II (Left and Right)
RC-64 II (Center)
2x RP-160M (Mid surround)
2x RP-250S (Rears)
r-115sw (Rear sub)
r-112sw (Front sub)
4x CDT-5800-C-II (atmos in ceiling)

Receiver - Denon AVR-X6300H
I'm thinking the Denon 11.1 to avoid having any additional amps and to keep it simple. 2016 model looks future proof enough, and at $1,500 seems like a good value.

All of the above can be done for ~$7K with waiting for the deals but are there any better options I should look at? Thanks in advance everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-19-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojazz View Post
I'm laying out initial plans for a theater build out in a relatively small room, roughly 12'x25' (build thread to come!) but prior to proceeding with much design I'd like to have an idea of what speakers/receiver to go with. I'm no audiophile by any means but enjoy a nice cinema experience, and want something that will last the next 5-10 years.

Thinking a budget of $7K for a 7.2.4 Atmos setup including just the speakers and receiver.

Speakers - Klipsch all around (can scoop most of this up next time Adorama does a $3k package deal or maybe Fry's deals)-
RC-64 II (Center)
2x RP-250S (Rears)
r-115sw (Rear sub)
r-112sw (Front sub)

I'm thinking the Denon 11.1 to avoid having any additional amps and to keep it simple. 2016 model looks future proof enough, and at $1,500 seems like a good value.

All of the above can be done for ~$7K with waiting for the deals but are there any better options I should look at? Thanks in advance everyone!
RF series vs RP series discussed here...I'd skip the Klipsch subs unless you get killer deals on them....the 115sw is excellent but overpriced compared to ID companies.

http://www.klipsch.com/blog/klipsch-...ce-ii-speakers

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 21 Old 09-19-2017, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
Quote:

RC-64 II (Center)
2x RP-250S (Rears)
r-115sw (Rear sub)
r-112sw (Front sub)

got to https://www.powersoundaudio.com/ and price out a package. WAAAAAAYYYYYY better subs and even the MT110 would be awesome. But if you forgo their surround speakers you would be able to get the MT210s for the fron and a pair of V1801 subs and still have money for surrounds and atmos.

Too save some more money you could skip the rear surrounds, since atmos seems to be much more noticeable.
jjackkrash likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron

post #4 of 21 Old 09-19-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
3 JBL Studio 590s on closeout for $1.5K for L/C/R; 8 JBL Control 328C's for another $2.4K (or JBL SCS8s); Denon 6300 $1.5K; HSU Dual Drive VTF-3 MK5 HP for Subs for another $1.5k.

If you can up the budget, sub out the HSU's for a pair of Rythmik FV18s, or a Seaton SubMersive HP+ Master/Slave.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
3 JBL Studio 590s on closeout for $1.5K for L/C/R; 8 JBL Control 328C's for another $2.4K (or JBL SCS8s); Denon 6300 $1.5K; HSU Dual Drive VTF-3 MK5 HP for Subs for another $1.5k.

If you can up the budget, sub out the HSU's for a pair of Rythmik FV18s, or a Seaton SubMersive HP+ Master/Slave.
Thanks for suggesting! Very intriguing option...

For the 8 JBL Control 328C's I know where the 4 Atmos would go, but I hadn't thought of doing in wall mid and rear surrounds... would those be positioned high up in the walls then?
post #6 of 21 Old 09-20-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for suggesting! Very intriguing option...

For the 8 JBL Control 328C's I know where the 4 Atmos would go, but I hadn't thought of doing in wall mid and rear surrounds... would those be positioned high up in the walls then?
Ideal for surrounds is to position them ear level or higher no higher than mid wall, based on what I have read. Here is an excellent reference:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf
post #7 of 21 Old 09-27-2017, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Actually considering a new setup now. I'm tearing the room down to the studs so can probably build cubby holes for freestanding rears and sides, or should I just keep it simple and do in walls like the below set up? Is sound quality of freestanding vastly better than in-walls in the same price range?

Also my fronts I plan on hiding behind an ATS.. which is something else I'm confused on.. With towers like the RF-7 II's being ported at the rear do they need to be out in the open or can they be tucked away behind the wall?

RC-64 II (Center)
R-5502-WII (Mid surround in-wall)
R-5502-WII (Rears in-wall)
Subs TBD
post #8 of 21 Old 09-27-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually considering a new setup now. I'm tearing the room down to the studs so can probably build cubby holes for freestanding rears and sides, or should I just keep it simple and do in walls like the below set up? Is sound quality of freestanding vastly better than in-walls in the same price range?

Also my fronts I plan on hiding behind an ATS.. which is something else I'm confused on.. With towers like the RF-7 II's being ported at the rear do they need to be out in the open or can they be tucked away behind the wall?

RC-64 II (Center)
Subs TBD
If you're putting the speakers behind an AT screen there should be no need for a horizontal center. 3 identical speakers is best.

Also, no need to pay for fancy wood veneer you're not going to see, and yes a rear ported speaker like the RF7 with dual 10' drivers can pump a fair amount of air.

So, these would be (IMO) a much better choice and probably cost less too.
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/mtm-210t

Might want to check with the owner (Tom) on some subs too. There might be some package discount. What you have selected for your surrounds and ceilings would still work fine.
jjackkrash likes this.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #9 of 21 Old 09-27-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

RC-64 II (Center)
Subs TBD
"Tucked away behind a wall" if that means what I think it means is simply an awful idea.

Not sure why you are sticking to the older Klipsch line compared to the improved RP line with such a large budget.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 21 Old 09-27-2017, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
"Tucked away behind a wall" if that means what I think it means is simply an awful idea.

Not sure why you are sticking to the older Klipsch line compared to the improved RP line with such a large budget.
Sorry not sure I explained it right.. By 'tucked away' I meant behind an acoustically transparent cloth, similar to what's in the photo here. I'm only looking at this older Klipsch line I guess because of the sale pricing I've seen where they're going for basically 50% off MSRP.

Would love to hear ideas though on a better setup! Really was considering the JBL Studio 590s mentioned above but that deal appears to have expired.

Thanks for all your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theaterwall.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	2289110  
post #11 of 21 Old 09-27-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry not sure I explained it right.. By 'tucked away' I meant behind an acoustically transparent cloth, similar to what's in the photo here. I'm only looking at this older Klipsch line I guess because of the sale pricing I've seen where they're going for basically 50% off MSRP.

Would love to hear ideas though on a better setup! Really was considering the JBL Studio 590s mentioned above but that deal appears to have expired.

Thanks for all your input!
Oh man, I can't think of a worse thing to do to be honest.

Horrific.

Geoff A. J., California
post #12 of 21 Old 09-27-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This particular older Klipsch design is still better than the new improved RP line. The RF7/RC64 is part of the line-up that is still made in hope AR.

It uses a 1.75" CD for the tweeter, of course 10" drivers on the towers, real wood veneer and probably a better cross over. By all accounts from the Klipsch owners they are a clear step up from the older, smaller RF and the newer RP line.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #13 of 21 Old 09-27-2017, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh man, I can't think of a worse thing to do to be honest.

Horrific.

Mind elaborating why? How do other theaters get by with a clean look without doing in wall fronts?
post #14 of 21 Old 09-28-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
This particular older Klipsch design is still better than the new improved RP line. The RF7/RC64 is part of the line-up that is still made in hope AR.

It uses a 1.75" CD for the tweeter, of course 10" drivers on the towers, real wood veneer and probably a better cross over. By all accounts from the Klipsch owners they are a clear step up from the older, smaller RF and the newer RP line.
Well Klipsch themselves says the RP's are an improvement on the RF so I'm going to believe them.

"There is no doubt that the Reference II speaker line was one of our best performing systems. And being the great American speaker brand, Klipsch would not launch a new series under the legendary Reference name without it being 100% better than its predecessor.

Klipsch Reference Premiere series speakers are completely redesigned from the ground up. And to better explain it – here are eight areas our audio-genius engineers made upgrades to outperform the Reference II system."

I'm sure the RFs might perform just fine though but certainly they do not stand a chance of showing their best with each speaker evidently destined to be stuffed into a box to make them "disappear" visually when the screen is up. The fact that when the screen is down the speakers disintegrate sonically is secondary.

I would think the best plan would be a flat wall, possibly with wall treatment of some kind, with the front three placed a foot or so in front of the wall hidden by an acoustically transparent screen at all times.

Geoff A. J., California
post #15 of 21 Old 09-28-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mind elaborating why? How do other theaters get by with a clean look without doing in wall fronts?

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 21 Old 09-28-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well Klipsch themselves says the RP's are an improvement on the RF so I'm going to believe them.

"There is no doubt that the Reference II speaker line was one of our best performing systems. And being the great American speaker brand, Klipsch would not launch a new series under the legendary Reference name without it being 100% better than its predecessor.

Klipsch Reference Premiere series speakers are completely redesigned from the ground up. And to better explain it – here are eight areas our audio-genius engineers made upgrades to outperform the Reference II system."

I'm sure the RFs might perform just fine though but certainly they do not stand a chance of showing their best with each speaker evidently destined to be stuffed into a box to make them "disappear" visually when the screen is up. The fact that when the screen is down the speakers disintegrate sonically is secondary.

I would think the best plan would be a flat wall, possibly with wall treatment of some kind, with the front three placed a foot or so in front of the wall hidden by an acoustically transparent screen at all times.
I guess I wasn't clear. The RF7/64 may have shared the "RF" designation but they were/are a completely different speaker.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #17 of 21 Old 09-28-2017, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks but exposed wires and speakers look horrific. Think I found my answer in another thread from BigMouthinDC anyway.. proscenium around screen with AT fabric.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-28-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2778
See the pics below...that would IMO be the visually and acoustically ideal setup if you can swing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT screen with 3 towers 2 subs behind.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	2289646   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT screen with 3 towers behind.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2289648  
post #19 of 21 Old 09-28-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree with Zorba, the best is having a false wall with an AT Screen and speakers directly behind the AT screen.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-28-2017, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
See the pics below...that would IMO be the visually and acoustically ideal setup if you can swing it.
Amazing! Thanks for this, definitely going to try to duplicate the 2nd photo.
post #21 of 21 Old 09-29-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Yeah, that looks far better than having an appliance garage for each speaker!

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page