• 1 Post By chicken vindaloo

post #1 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do I "need" new speakers?

Hi Audio Gurus,
I recently got a new receiver (Denon X4300H) after a Marantz died. This prompted me to reevaluate my current 7.1 system and has me thinking about potential speaker upgrades. My front speakers are Paradigm Monitor 7s, center is Paradigm CC 350, sub is Paradigm PS-1000, all of 1997 vintage My surrounds and rear surrounds are more recent AIM8 threes. FWIW, tv is a Panny P65ZT60, and Blue Ray is Sony-BDPS5200. I play about 80% movies, 20% music. For both I usually listen at well below reference levels (-30-35dB). Room size is 17.5'X13'X10'. I considered and decided against Atmos.
So two questions: I'm seriously considering a Hsu VTF-3 MK5 to replace my current sub. 1) Am I correct in assuming that that would be a significant improvement? 2) I'm not unhappy with my front & CC speakers, but could I expect a significant (obvious) improvement by replacing them with new speakers if my budget is in the $1500- $2000 range for the three, or would that not be worthwhile? If so, could you give me some recommendations?
Thanks for your advice.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Of course you need new speakers, this is AVS. We are here to spend your money.

More seriously, yes, the Hsu VTF-3.5 should be a really substantial improvement. Regular loudspeakers have noticeably improved in terms of bang for buck since the late 1990s but the improvement in subwoofers has been much larger. For example, in ~2001 I bought a well-reviewed PSB subwoofer (the SubSonic 5) for $450 that is easily eclipsed by today's $200 Emotiva sub. I would be shocked if the Hsu 3.5 didn't completely blow away the 1997 Paradigm sub.

The LCR replacement is less clear. There is a school of thought that says if you're not actively unhappy, save your money until you are so you can make a really huge step up. If you're the kind of person who is good at delaying gratification, this is probably a better strategy in the long run.

If, however, you're like me (and a lot of the rest of AVS) and you really want to upgrade now because you can, my guess is that you can probably do better for that money, but maybe I'm wrong, since I haven't heard your current setup. Paradigm Monitor 7s are pretty good speakers to start with, though, so maybe the improvement wouldn't be huge. With a good sub like the Hsu, I think you can do better bang-for-buck with bookshelves. I'm a big fan of Ascends, and you could go Sierra-1s for LCR for right around $2K if you buy B-stock. I'm sure you'll get other good suggestions as well.

_____
Study: Schiit Bifrost Multibit > Yamaha A-S500 > Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT/Emotiva S8
Living Room HT: Oppo BDP-83 > Denon 3808i > PSB Image 4T/8C/S50/SubSonic5
Office: Schiit Modi 2 Uber > NAD C740 > Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
Bedroom: Onkyo TX-8050 > PSB Image 1B/Yamaha YST-SW215
post #3 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
I would start with the sub as that alone should be a significant upgrade. If you're happy with how the speakers sound, why change. As sunbyrne mentioned, you need to step up to the next level to gain a significant improvement. Get the sub and re-evalute once you get dialed in.
darthray and unretarded like this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

post #4 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken vindaloo View Post
I'm seriously considering a Hsu VTF-3 MK5 to replace my current sub.
Eric
Good choice; that's a value leader in its price class. Do you have room for two of them (dual drive)? Two would probably help smooth out the response across all listening positions.
post #5 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 1632
As stated, start with the sub first == while I am not a big Paradigm Monitor fan, you seem to be happy with them and that is what counts

Speakers -- Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #6 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
Of course you need new speakers, this is AVS. We are here to spend your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
Thanks, I knew I could count on you LOL.

I would be shocked if the Hsu 3.5 didn't completely blow away the 1997 Paradigm sub.
That's what I gathered from everything I've read.

If you're the kind of person who is good at delaying gratification, this is probably a better strategy in the long run.
Well, I've waited since 1997, so I guess I am What would a huge speaker upgrade look like financially?

With a good sub like the Hsu, I think you can do better bang-for-buck with bookshelves.
This was my thought... forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason NOT to do this?

If you're happy with how the speakers sound, why change. Get the sub and re-evalute once you get dialed in.

I will absolutely do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Good choice; that's a value leader in its price class. Do you have room for two of them (dual drive)? Two would probably help smooth out the response across all listening positions.

I know this is commonly recommended, but my wife is just now resigned to ONE new sub. Need I say more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
As stated, start with the sub first == while I am not a big Paradigm Monitor fan, you seem to be happy with them and that is what counts

Yeah, I just wasn't sure if that's because I don't know what I'm missing. Kind of like my early childhood in Florida. I didn't think about air conditioning until my parents got us a unit. After that I couldn't believe I lived through it. Ignorance may not be bliss, but I guess it is cheaper.
post #7 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
Hi Audio Gurus,
I recently got a new receiver (Denon X4300H) after a Marantz died. This prompted me to reevaluate my current 7.1 system and has me thinking about potential speaker upgrades. My front speakers are Paradigm Monitor 7s, center is Paradigm CC 350, sub is Paradigm PS-1000, all of 1997 vintage My surrounds and rear surrounds are more recent AIM8 threes. FWIW, tv is a Panny P65ZT60, and Blue Ray is Sony-BDPS5200. I play about 80% movies, 20% music. For both I usually listen at well below reference levels (-30-35dB). Room size is 17.5'X13'X10'. I considered and decided against Atmos.
So two questions: I'm seriously considering a Hsu VTF-3 MK5 to replace my current sub. 1) Am I correct in assuming that that would be a significant improvement? 2) I'm not unhappy with my front & CC speakers, but could I expect a significant (obvious) improvement by replacing them with new speakers if my budget is in the $1500- $2000 range for the three, or would that not be worthwhile? If so, could you give me some recommendations?
Thanks for your advice.

Eric
HSU is an excellent sub choice.

It'll make a huge difference.though a single VTF2 would likely work for $604 delivered instead of the VTF3's $832 and if it doesn't simply add a second. But if you only have room for one then definitley go with the VTF3.

Hey, all the B&W speakers I bought around that time still sound fine today and if your Paradigms still sound good to you I'd ONLY consider trying out speakers with free return shipping for you to get a sense of how far things have come, (or not), today.

The speakers to audition would be: Klipsch RP series at Best Buy and these internet direct companies:

INTERNET DIRECT BRANDS WITH FREE RETURN SHIPPING:
Aperion
SVS
HTD
RSL
JBL

Might be fun to try one or two that look promising to you as there is zero financial risk, (unless you damage/mar the speaker).
darthray likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

It'll make a huge difference.though a single VTF2 would likely work for $604 delivered instead of the VTF3's $832 and if it doesn't simply add a second. But if you only have room for one then definitley go with the VTF3.

Hey, all the B&W speakers I bought around that time still sound fine today and if your Paradigms still sound good to you I'd ONLY consider trying out speakers with free return shipping for you to get a sense of how far things have come, (or not), today.

The speakers to audition would be: Klipsch RP series at Best Buy and these internet direct companies:

Aperion
SVS
HTD
RSL
JBL

Might be fun to try one or two that look promising to you as there is zero financial risk, (unless you damage/mar the speaker).
Don't forget there are some good choices on Amazon with free return shipping. . The kef's... some Wharfedale's. . And others...btw i am finding the q100's sound is really position centric... it goes from the warm side of neutral to downright screechy based on just a little eq and on /off axis by a foot or 2...
post #9 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
btw i am finding the q100's sound is really position centric... it goes from the warm side of neutral to downright screechy based on just a little eq and on /off axis by a foot or 2...
They will be sensitive to position -- as they have a slow 5 db rising response from 3 to10khz -- the Q100 is the red line
https://www.soundandvision.com/images/611kef.meas.jpg

Receiver -- Integra 50.2

Last edited by zieglj01; 09-20-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #10 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Use your existing sub and the new sub. That will give a better response than one sub alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
kingwiggi and leecreek like this.
post #11 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:

Aperion
SVS
HTD
RSL
JBL

I would not recommend Klipsch but others are good choices. YMMV

Also don't buy any of them till you hear a substantial difference in sound quality.

Another brand of sub to try in SVS. Buy two smaller subs rather than one big sub.

post #12 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
Don't forget there are some good choices on Amazon with free return shipping. . The kef's... some Wharfedale's. . And others...btw i am finding the q100's sound is really position centric... it goes from the warm side of neutral to downright screechy based on just a little eq and on /off axis by a foot or 2...
Thanks! I was aware of SVS and HSU free shipping, but not the others. That would make comparing apples to apples much easier.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

<snip> I'd ONLY consider trying out speakers with free return shipping for you to get a sense of how far things have come, (or not), today.

Aperion
SVS
HTD
RSL
JBL

Might be fun to try one or two that look promising to you as there is zero financial risk, (unless you damage/mar the speaker).[/QUOTE]

That does sound like fun!
Thanks everyone. And if I fall in love with a set of speakers, I'll "accidentally" mar one of them to make it unreturnable. "Sorry honey, I wasn't going to keep them, but now I have no choice".
I now feel better about my options and plan. Sub first, then I may well try out some front speakers to see if this is warranted in my price range. I appreciate your expertise and experience.
post #14 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Use your existing sub and the new sub. That will give a better response than one sub alone.

I believe his existing sub is a 10" sub with a 120 watt amp that does not dig very deep. He might have integration problems especially if the current sub runs out of gas before the HSU does. But I guess there is only one way to find out for sure.
post #15 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Quote:
I'm seriously considering a Hsu VTF-3 MK5 to replace my current sub. 1) Am I correct in assuming that that would be a significant improvement? 2) I'm not unhappy with my front & CC speakers, but could I expect a significant (obvious) improvement by replacing them with new speakers if my budget is in the $1500- $2000 range for the three, or would that not be worthwhile? If so, could you give me some recommendations?
Definitely upgrade the sub, the VTF-3 will make the most obvious difference.

80% HT, I would probably change out the center first---once you find a center you really like, then get the matching L/R speakers.

Some I'd look at:

Ascend Sierra Horizon
Emotiva C2 or C1
Hsu HC-1 or CCB-8
HTD Level 3

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #16 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Definitely upgrade the sub, the VTF-3 will make the most obvious difference.

80% HT, I would probably change out the center first---once you find a center you really like, then get the matching L/R speakers.

Some I'd look at:

Ascend Sierra Horizon
Emotiva C2 or C1
Hsu HC-1 or CCB-8
HTD Level 3
Actually, that never occurred to me. Thanks, I'll definitely consider doing that.
post #17 of 26 Old 09-20-2017, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Quote:
Actually, that never occurred to me. Thanks, I'll definitely consider doing that.
You're welcome.

Also, be open to the possibility that you might find a center that you really like, AND have zero desire to change out your existing Monitor 7s.

Yes you'd be tempting the "timbre matching" bogeymen to hurl thunderbolts down at you from up above, but what the hey, it's good to live dangerously sometimes.
leecreek likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #18 of 26 Old 09-21-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! I was aware of SVS and HSU free shipping, but not the others. That would make comparing apples to apples much easier.
SVS is the only one that offers free return shipping which is why they are generally a bit more expensive than companies like HSU and Rhythmik when it comes to free return shipping.

Save a bit of money with SVS in their outlet store.

Geoff A. J., California
post #19 of 26 Old 09-21-2017, 11:06 AM

Free shipping and free return shipping is built into the price and cost of the speaker and sale -- however that part is not related to the engineering and design of the speaker. I would not be quick to rule out some speakers for demo -- as there are some rare gems and nuggets out there that can be worth the risk, and also some good closeout deals on speakers that are worth the risk.

Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #20 of 26 Old 09-21-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
I think it is Want vs Need. Of course you want new speakers,we all want new speakers....but do you need them?

Here are the existing speakers -

https://www.paradigm.com/products-cu.../page=overview

2.5-way, 5.5" bass drivers (140mm), 48hz bass response.

Are these about the size of speaker you want for your replacement?

Your room is about 17.5ft x 13ft with 10ft ceilings. That's not a large room. I would say small enough for higher quality Bookshelf Speakers, though similar 5" to 5.5" Floorstanding speakers would also work. I think 2x6.5" are boarder line, potentially workable, but getting on the big side. I would speculate, based on the limited information I have, that 2x8" are a bit over the top for that space.

With $1000 to $2000 for the Front Three (Left/Center/Right), you can get something different, perhaps something you like better, but I'm not sure that is enough to take a sizable leap up in sound quality. Others can disagree.

According to this CNET Review, the Monitor 7 V7 are about $899, but not clear if that is each or a pair. Perhaps ou could enlighten us on the actual price. Doing some quick searching, I'm going to assume they are $900/PAIR.

https://www.cnet.com/products/paradi...r-7-v7/review/

https://designeraudiovideo.com/produ...r-7-black-ash/

So, now we have some perspective.

Is there any sound characteristic you like or that will fit your room better.

Though they haven't quite hit the stores yet, the Monitor Audio Silver 200 (2x5.25") or the bookshelf Monitor Audio 100 (1x8") could get the job done for you.

Monitor Audio Silver 200 (2x5.25", 38hz) - $750 each / $1500/pair -

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...-6g/silver-200

https://www.whathifi.com/monitor-aud...ver-200/review

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...variation=ERNT

The large Bookshelf Monitor Audio Silver 100 (8", 40hz) are a $1050/pair -

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...-6g/silver-100

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...variation=PRNT

Most would say the Monitor Audio are crisp without being bright.

There are Two Monitor Audio Silver Center speakers, one standard, and one Big -

Monitor Audio Silver C150 (2x5.25", 52hz) - $725 each -

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...&variation=WAL

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...6g/silver-c150

Monitor Audio Silver C350 (2x6", 3-way, 40hz) - $875 -

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...&variation=WAL

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...6g/silver-c150

Another more smooth speaker would be the -

Wharfedale REVA 3 (1x125mm (~5"), 40hz) - $1500/pr - (Gloss White, Gloss Black, Gloss Rosewood, Gloss Walnut) -

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...tower-speakers

http://wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=97

The REVA Center is about $700 -

Wharfedale REVA-C Center (2x115mm, 60hz) - $699 -

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...hannel-speaker

These are not going to be a bright and forward as Paradigm, more so they are going to be sweet and smooth.

Internet Direct companies as others have suggested can be very high value, and are certainly worth looking at.

But first we need some sense of the size of speaker you would prefer. I think the 5" to 5.5" floorstanding, or the larger 6.5" or 8" bookshelf are worth considering.

Keeping in mind that for a fixed amount of money, you will get a better bookshelf speaker that can still be good on its own for music.

Just a few suggestions.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 09-21-2017 at 04:40 PM.
post #21 of 26 Old 09-23-2017, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hi bluewizard, thanks for the detailed response. Sorry mine was delayed.

Here are the existing speakers -

https://www.paradigm.com/products-cu.../page=overview

2.5-way, 5.5" bass drivers (140mm), 48hz bass response.

Actually the above describes version 7. Mine are version 1 and are quite different. I still have the original literature. They are 3 driver 2 way base reflex and are ported. They have a 1" titanium high freq. driver, two polypropylene bass/midrange drivers, and low freq. extension to 34 Hz. I don't know how they perform compared to version 7.

With $1000 to $2000 for the Front Three (Left/Center/Right), you can get something different, perhaps something you like better, but I'm not sure that is enough to take a sizable leap up in sound quality. Others can disagree.
Unless it would be a pretty clear improvement, I'm not inclined to make a change.

According to this CNET Review, the Monitor 7 V7 are about $899, but not clear if that is each or a pair. Perhaps you could enlighten us on the actual price. Doing some quick searching, I'm going to assume they are $900/PAIR.
Yes, I believe that's in the ballpark ($900/pair)

https://www.cnet.com/products/paradi...r-7-v7/review/

https://designeraudiovideo.com/produ...r-7-black-ash/

So, now we have some perspective.

Is there any sound characteristic you like or that will fit your room better.
I don't have any specific complaint about my Paradigms, I just wondered if I could get a more vocally or musically accurate speaker for a moderate amount of money, especially in view of a soon to be upgraded sub.

Keeping in mind that for a fixed amount of money, you will get a better bookshelf speaker that can still be good on its own for music.
If that combination would also work well for HT, I would be interested.

Just a few suggestions.
Much appreciated!

Steve/bluewizard[/QUOTE]
post #22 of 26 Old 09-24-2017, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Since you like the Paradigm sound, You could try out a pair or Prestige 15B. If you feel they're a good enough improvement, which I personally think they are having heard both, you can later add a 3rd 15B in the center.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #23 of 26 Old 09-24-2017, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I bought MartinLogan electrotstic speakers back in 1994. These speakers are the only part of my setup. I never felt the need to replace. The mid range performance is out of this world. Bass and treble is extended. Well worth your time to go and listen to these speakers.
post #24 of 26 Old 09-24-2017, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyM View Post
I bought MartinLogan electrotstic speakers back in 1994. These speakers are the only part of my setup. I never felt the need to replace. The mid range performance is out of this world. Bass and treble is extended. Well worth your time to go and listen to these speakers.
I remember reading great things about them, but never heard them. I see they're at my local Magnolia Theater, so it'll be easy to go listen to them. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #25 of 26 Old 09-24-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I remember reading great things about them, but never heard them. I see they're at my local Magnolia Theater, so it'll be easy to go listen to them. Thanks for the suggestion.
Very hard to place unless you have a big room according to most owners on AVS.

Your current speakers are your problem; they are quite good and replacing them, especially for Home Theater use, with something "wow that's much better" will be difficult given your budget.

For Home Theater the Klipsch RP MIGHT do that.

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 09-24-2017 at 10:23 AM.
post #26 of 26 Old 09-28-2017, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Very hard to place unless you have a big room according to most owners on AVS.

Your current speakers are your problem; they are quite good and replacing them, especially for Home Theater use, with something "wow that's much better" will be difficult given your budget.

For Home Theater the Klipsch RP MIGHT do that.
Well actually, this is the answer to my fundamental question. As I stated, I'm not unhappy with my Paradigms, so if they're still considered good in my price range, I have no overwhelming need to spend a lot of money to get something better. Of all the speaker problems to have, I'll take this one.
Thanks, I'll look forward to reevaluating when I upgrade to a Hsu sub.
gajCA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page