Need help upgrading my front towers and center from Pioneer SP Andrew Jones - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
killeraxemannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need help upgrading my front towers and center from Pioneer SP Andrew Jones

My home theater currently consists of

Pioneer SP-FS52 tower speakers
Pioneer SP-C22 center
JBL PB12 Subwoofer
Bose ceiling mounted rears
Denon avr-e300 receiver

I have never really been all that happy with the sound. I have always felt that it was lacking clarity and detail and just sounds sort of flat and not super natural. I also have a hard time understanding voices unless the center is turned way up even after running audessey. I'm pretty sure the front speakers just aren't living up to my expectations as I have tested them on my hifi setup with my Schiit Modi Multibit dac and a QSC amp and don't think they sound very good there either. All of my vintage hifi speakers seem to sound much better.

Im looking at upgrading the front towers and the center channel. I currently have about $175 worth of amazon gift cards to spend now and my wife ok'd me to spend $500 on speakers for my birthday in 2 months. I think I want to buy a center channel now and then buy the front 2 speakers in about 2 months. Figured I should probably plan now and buy the correct center and then buy the towers to match later.

So please recommend me a good center channel that I can buy on amazon around $200 and towers that are around $500 to match later.

I was looking at the ELAC Debut 5 line, and the Polk TSI, RSI, Or Signature line. I also know there are comparably priced models from JBL, Klipsch etc but I just don't know anything about them. I usually get amazon gift cards for my birthday so I most likely want to buy the towers from Amazon as well.
killeraxemannic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,491
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
My home theater currently consists of

Pioneer SP-FS52 tower speakers
Pioneer SP-C22 center
JBL PB12 Subwoofer
Bose ceiling mounted rears
Denon avr-e300 receiver

I have never really been all that happy with the sound. I have always felt that it was lacking clarity and detail and just sounds sort of flat and not super natural. I also have a hard time understanding voices unless the center is turned way up even after running audessey. I'm pretty sure the front speakers just aren't living up to my expectations as I have tested them on my hifi setup with my Schiit Modi Multibit dac and a QSC amp and don't think they sound very good there either. All of my vintage hifi speakers seem to sound much better.

Im looking at upgrading the front towers and the center channel. I currently have about $175 worth of amazon gift cards to spend now and my wife ok'd me to spend $500 on speakers for my birthday in 2 months. I think I want to buy a center channel now and then buy the front 2 speakers in about 2 months. Figured I should probably plan now and buy the correct center and then buy the towers to match later.

So please recommend me a good center channel that I can buy on amazon around $200 and towers that are around $500 to match later.

I was looking at the ELAC Debut 5 line, and the Polk TSI, RSI, Or Signature line. I also know there are comparably priced models from JBL, Klipsch etc but I just don't know anything about them. I usually get amazon gift cards for my birthday so I most likely want to buy the towers from Amazon as well.
My friend replaced his Pioneers with Q Acoustics Concept 20s and it was a night and day difference so this might be a good place to start for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-Cen.../dp/B00V6ADU0K

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-205...N36NNRC261XBDX

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-305...N36NNRC261XBDX

A brighter option which if mostly for Home Theater you might prefer.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Arena-125...6%3A1253506011

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Arena-180...s=jbl+speakers

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #3 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
My home theater currently consists of

Pioneer SP-FS52 tower speakers
Pioneer SP-C22 center
JBL PB12 Subwoofer
Bose ceiling mounted rears
Denon avr-e300 receiver

I have never really been all that happy with the sound. I have always felt that it was lacking clarity and detail and just sounds sort of flat and not super natural. I also have a hard time understanding voices unless the center is turned way up even after running audessey. I'm pretty sure the front speakers just aren't living up to my expectations as I have tested them on my hifi setup with my Schiit Modi Multibit dac and a QSC amp and don't think they sound very good there either. All of my vintage hifi speakers seem to sound much better.

Im looking at upgrading the front towers and the center channel. I currently have about $175 worth of amazon gift cards to spend now and my wife ok'd me to spend $500 on speakers for my birthday in 2 months. I think I want to buy a center channel now and then buy the front 2 speakers in about 2 months. Figured I should probably plan now and buy the correct center and then buy the towers to match later.

So please recommend me a good center channel that I can buy on amazon around $200 and towers that are around $500 to match later.

I was looking at the ELAC Debut 5 line, and the Polk TSI, RSI, Or Signature line. I also know there are comparably priced models from JBL, Klipsch etc but I just don't know anything about them. I usually get amazon gift cards for my birthday so I most likely want to buy the towers from Amazon as well.
If you don't mind going to bookshelf speakers the Def Tech Studio monitor 65s are on sale and are very, very good speakers. They are quite large, full sounding bookshelf speakers. I have them for LCR and it's pretty awesome.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is offline  
 
post #4 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Since you have a subwoofer, Going with bookshelf speakers up front would get you much better quality speakers than towers for $500.
What is your budget for the center? $175 or can you go above?
You can start with the Emotiva C1, then add either T1's or B1's later.
http://emotiva.com/product/airmotiv-c1/
The center is the workhorse in an HT setup. Get the best one you can and build up around it.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #5 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
If you don't mind going to bookshelf speakers the Def Tech Studio monitor 65s are on sale and are very, very good speakers. They are quite large, full sounding bookshelf speakers. I have them for LCR and it's pretty awesome.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Excellent option, except the Monitor series is being discontinued. He may have trouble finding some in a month or two and price may not be as budget friendly. If he can put up $375 for 3 SM 45's right away to put up front, that would be a significant upgrade from the AJ's.
murphy_5 likes this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #6 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,491
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Since you have a subwoofer, Going with bookshelf speakers up front would get you much better quality speakers than towers for $500.
What is your budget for the center? $175 or can you go above?
You can start with the Emotiva C1, then add either T1's or B1's later.
http://emotiva.com/product/airmotiv-c1/
The center is the workhorse in an HT setup. Get the best one you can and build up around it.
The $249 Emotiva C1 would be a great choice, and is available on Amazon, but is over his budget as are the $700/pair T1 towers.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #7 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,491
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
My home theater currently consists of

Pioneer SP-FS52 tower speakers
Pioneer SP-C22 center
JBL PB12 Subwoofer
Bose ceiling mounted rears
Denon avr-e300 receiver

I have never really been all that happy with the sound. I have always felt that it was lacking clarity and detail and just sounds sort of flat and not super natural. I also have a hard time understanding voices unless the center is turned way up even after running audessey. I'm pretty sure the front speakers just aren't living up to my expectations as I have tested them on my hifi setup with my Schiit Modi Multibit dac and a QSC amp and don't think they sound very good there either. All of my vintage hifi speakers seem to sound much better.

Im looking at upgrading the front towers and the center channel. I currently have about $175 worth of amazon gift cards to spend now and my wife ok'd me to spend $500 on speakers for my birthday in 2 months. I think I want to buy a center channel now and then buy the front 2 speakers in about 2 months. Figured I should probably plan now and buy the correct center and then buy the towers to match later.

So please recommend me a good center channel that I can buy on amazon around $200 and towers that are around $500 to match later.

I was looking at the ELAC Debut 5 line, and the Polk TSI, RSI, Or Signature line. I also know there are comparably priced models from JBL, Klipsch etc but I just don't know anything about them. I usually get amazon gift cards for my birthday so I most likely want to buy the towers from Amazon as well.
Another excellent choice:

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Si...ature+speakers

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Si...speakers&psc=1

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #8 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Excellent option, except the Monitor series is being discontinued. He may have trouble finding some in a month or two and price may not be as budget friendly. If he can put up $375 for 3 SM 45's right away to put up front, that would be a significant upgrade from the AJ's.
Yeah I would act fast in that because they are being discontinued. SM45s wild be a great option too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is offline  
post #9 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The $249 Emotiva C1 would be a great choice, and is available on Amazon, but is over his budget as are the $700/pair T1 towers.
All the more reason to consider bookshelf speakers. The JBL Arena 125C would definitely be a significant upgrade and keep him in budget. There are better options if can be flexible on his budget.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #10 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,491
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
All the more reason to consider bookshelf speakers. The JBL Arena 125C would definitely be a significant upgrade and keep him in budget. There are better options if can be flexible on his budget.
When someone wants towers I usually take them at their word, especially if they are coming from towers and their sub sucks!

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #11 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,491
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
All the more reason to consider bookshelf speakers. The JBL Arena 125C would definitely be a significant upgrade and keep him in budget. There are better options if can be flexible on his budget.
To your point he could upgrade his front three AND his sub for his budget if he would get bookshelves.

$500 for the front three with bookshelves plus this sub and he'd be head and shoulder better than where he is now.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-55.../dp/B0071UQ8FS
pase22 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #12 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
killeraxemannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm not against anything really. I just want the best I can get for the money. Max budget for the center would be around $250 and it would have to come from amazon due to the gift cards. The JBL sub is also sort of temporary. I have a KEF PSW2150 sub that's currently in the repair shop. Its just been gone for a long time and I don't know when I will get it back. The repair guy near me is very good but is backed up 6-8 months. What about the KEF Q100 bookshelf speakers? They were just dropped from $450 to $299 on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047K3X1M...=3NZ1DE3H2EO0X
murphy_5 likes this.
killeraxemannic is offline  
post #13 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,330
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
What about the KEF Q100 bookshelf speakers? They were just dropped from $450 to $299 on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047K3X1M...=3NZ1DE3H2EO0X
Kef Q100s should be good. Or Q300s if you want bigger (should be about $400 from accessories4less or Kef direct, last time I checked).

Problem is the matching center is very expensive and a bit hard to find.

Someone here instead picked up a Canton Chrono center to match with his Q300s, and he likes it, says it's a relatively close match. Amazon has the chrono center in white... accessories4less has it in black. $300ish (a bit less in white, a bit more in black). Still... cheaper than what the Kef center normally costs.

$700 and you should be able to manage the Q100s or Q300 + Canton Chrono center. If you want the Kef center, probably add $100-$200 and you may have to do some hunting for it (if you want a specific color).
Doe Doe is online now  
post #14 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,330
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I'll also mention another option, in the grand tradition of destroying the OP's budget...

JBL 580 towers, amazon $380 each. Not as good as the closeout price from a couple of weeks ago, but not bad.
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-58...ywords=jbl+590

JBL 520 center -- $200, direct from JBL --
http://www.jbl.com/STUDIO+520CBK.htm...SABEgIaTfD_BwE


Edit:

And for something a bit more reasonably priced, yet better than the pioneers:

Sony Core towers, pair for $316, or $284 w/ amazon warehouse

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS3-Fl...ords=sony+core

Use a single bookshelf ($118) as a center if you can fit it:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS5-3-...y+core+speaker

If not, look for a mismatch, or try the Sony center from a place with easy returns, as it may be iffy.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 09-21-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Doe Doe is online now  
post #15 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,319
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
I'm not against anything really. I just want the best I can get for the money. Max budget for the center would be around $250 and it would have to come from amazon due to the gift cards. The JBL sub is also sort of temporary. I have a KEF PSW2150 sub that's currently in the repair shop. Its just been gone for a long time and I don't know when I will get it back. The repair guy near me is very good but is backed up 6-8 months. What about the KEF Q100 bookshelf speakers? They were just dropped from $450 to $299 on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047K3X1M...=3NZ1DE3H2EO0X
This is the best $200 center you can get off Amazon, IMO:
https://www.amazon.com/BIC-Acoustech.../dp/B001VIPUFU

It's huge but if you have the space it's worth it.

You will laugh your @ss off at how much of a drastic improvement you'll hear in the voice clarity department over your AJ center which happens to be the single most complained about speaker on this forum.

For the towers, you can get a pair of these JBLs for $300 shipped...they'll be fine for HT. (I'm assuming you don't do much music listening but mostly movies/TV?)
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Arena-F27...HBX9K3VNSSRRK3

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #16 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
killeraxemannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Home theater system is exclusively for movies, TV and video games. I have my hifi system for music. I have plenty of room for pretty much anything. Also the $500 budget is for the fronts only. The center is going to be paid for with amazon gift cards.
killeraxemannic is offline  
post #17 of 70 Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
killeraxemannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How about the Polk S30 center, and S55's for the mains? The S55's are a little over my budget but I could make it work.
killeraxemannic is offline  
post #18 of 70 Old 09-22-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,330
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
How about the Polk S30 center, and S55's for the mains? The S55's are a little over my budget but I could make it work.
Well, they should definitely be better than your Pioneers. I suggest that if a Best Buy is near you, you go over there and give them a listen before buying them though. Might as well listen to Sony Cores, SM45s, Klipsch Rps and whatever else they have set up too, just to see if you prefer any specific sound types.

My only concern with the Polk signatures is that I'm unsure how good that S30 is. It should be better than the S35, but more than one Polk person has stated they wished Polk would make a larger 6.5" flavor center.

And maybe the S50 might make more sense financially? Pair of S50s would run you $400. 2x S55s would be like $660.

I'm just thinking that once you get to the $860+ range overall, there may be other options you could consider too... almost into Klipsch RP territory, or KefQ towers.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 09-22-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Doe Doe is online now  
post #19 of 70 Old 09-22-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,491
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
How about the Polk S30 center, and S55's for the mains? The S55's are a little over my budget but I could make it work.
Sure.

BTW, your KEF sub in for repair plays down only to a claimed 30hz.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #20 of 70 Old 09-22-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,319
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
How about the Polk S30 center, and S55's for the mains? The S55's are a little over my budget but I could make it work.
You'd be better off going with the S15 or S20 and putting the savings into a better sub...KEF makes nice speakers, but most speaker-dominant companies make lousy subs for the money especially if HT is your main usage. I hope some slimy salesman didn't bamboozle you with the "but you have to match the sub with the speakers" BS.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #21 of 70 Old 09-22-2017, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
killeraxemannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
How about the Polk S30 center, and S55's for the mains? The S55's are a little over my budget but I could make it work.
You'd be better off going with the S15 or S20 and putting the savings into a better sub...KEF makes nice speakers, but most speaker-dominant companies make lousy subs for the money especially if HT is your main usage. I hope some slimy salesman didn't bamboozle you with the "but you have to match the sub with the speakers" BS.



Ha no not at all. In fact I really didn't pay anything for either of the subs I have. I got the jbl pb12 for free from a buddy that was moving to an apartment in another city and couldn't take it with him and I got the kef sub in a trade with a local record shop for some huge vintage realistic speakers I didn't want to store anymore.
Zorba922 likes this.
killeraxemannic is offline  
post #22 of 70 Old 09-22-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,319
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
Ha no not at all. In fact I really didn't pay anything for either of the subs I have. I got the jbl pb12 for free from a buddy that was moving to an apartment in another city and couldn't take it with him and I got the kef sub in a trade with a local record shop for some huge vintage realistic speakers I didn't want to store anymore.
good to hear...in that case you wouldn't be losing anything by ditching them for one really solid sub, at minimum an Emotiva S12 or (better) a Hsu VTF-2. For HT usage it makes the second biggest impact after the center speaker.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #23 of 70 Old 09-23-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,491
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
Ha no not at all. In fact I really didn't pay anything for either of the subs I have. I got the jbl pb12 for free from a buddy that was moving to an apartment in another city and couldn't take it with him and I got the kef sub in a trade with a local record shop for some huge vintage realistic speakers I didn't want to store anymore.
Then tell the guy not to repair the KEF as the repair might be near the price of either of these two subs which play lower than either of the ones you have now.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8

300watts =18w15h15d= 50 lbs 10" [27hz] $189 JBL STUDIO 550 (short term promo price Amazon)

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #24 of 70 Old 09-23-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
If you're willing to explore options outside of Amazon, this RBH R56Ci is a monster and is a steal for only $200.
https://rbhsound.com/bstock-r56ci.php

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #25 of 70 Old 09-24-2017, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
killeraxemannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well guys I had an interesting turn of events. I was able to pick up the BIC Acoustech PL-28II center from a forum member so I still have my $500 plus about $175 worth of amazon gift cards left.

I was thinking that might be enough to get a nice subwoofer and possibly a set of front speakers. So I guess my question now (maybe worthy of a new thread) is what subwoofer and front FS or BS speakers would pair nicely with the BIC Acoustech PL-28II? How about KEF Q100's for the fronts and maybe a Bic Acoustech PL-200 II subwoofer? There was another subwoofer that was recommended too that looks interesting, the Emotiva S12 but that might blow my budget for front speakers. I also could stick with my KEF PSW 2150 sub. I was quoted $100 for the repair and when it was working I was pretty satisfied with it. It sounds pretty clean and isn't boomy. For the fronts there is always the BIC PL-89II but it seems like those might not be all that much better than my current pioneers from reading reviews. Open to any suggestions.

On another interesting note I was at a friends house last night and he happened to have 2 Polk Monitor 70 Series II as his fronts and the Polk S35 center and a Polk PSW505 subwoofer. It all sounded miles better than my current AJ pioneer setup but it seemed like the sub wasn't really keeping up very well. We watched a space scene from The Expanse on his system and it seemed like I could hear everything that was going on pretty well but it sounded very polite to me and was lacking crispness. For example there were a few gunshots fired and it was quite obvious what they were and where they came from but they didn't have the sharp crack like a real gun shot. When I got back home I watched the same scene on my Pioneer setup and it sounded like there were thick blankets over top of the speakers compared to his Polk gear.
killeraxemannic is offline  
post #26 of 70 Old 09-24-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
Well guys I had an interesting turn of events. I was able to pick up the BIC Acoustech PL-28II center from a forum member so I still have my $500 plus about $175 worth of amazon gift cards left.

I was thinking that might be enough to get a nice subwoofer and possibly a set of front speakers. So I guess my question now (maybe worthy of a new thread) is what subwoofer and front FS or BS speakers would pair nicely with the BIC Acoustech PL-28II? How about KEF Q100's for the fronts and maybe a Bic Acoustech PL-200 II subwoofer? There was another subwoofer that was recommended too that looks interesting, the Emotiva S12 but that might blow my budget for front speakers. I also could stick with my KEF PSW 2150 sub. I was quoted $100 for the repair and when it was working I was pretty satisfied with it. It sounds pretty clean and isn't boomy. For the fronts there is always the BIC PL-89II but it seems like those might not be all that much better than my current pioneers from reading reviews. Open to any suggestions.

On another interesting note I was at a friends house last night and he happened to have 2 Polk Monitor 70 Series II as his fronts and the Polk S35 center and a Polk PSW505 subwoofer. It all sounded miles better than my current AJ pioneer setup but it seemed like the sub wasn't really keeping up very well. We watched a space scene from The Expanse on his system and it seemed like I could hear everything that was going on pretty well but it sounded very polite to me and was lacking crispness. For example there were a few gunshots fired and it was quite obvious what they were and where they came from but they didn't have the sharp crack like a real gun shot. When I got back home I watched the same scene on my Pioneer setup and it sounded like there were thick blankets over top of the speakers compared to his Polk gear.
Those Polk are on the bottom shelf of the Polk product range. They are marginally better than the AJ's and you could do much better with your budget. These JBL Studio 230 speakers will leave both the Polks and AJ's in the dust, as would the Kef you were considering.
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-23...jbl+studio+230
The HSU HB-1 MK2 would also be an excellent option for HT.
Hold on to the Kef sub for now since you're happy with it. You can always upgrade the sub later on.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #27 of 70 Old 09-24-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,319
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
Well guys I had an interesting turn of events. I was able to pick up the BIC Acoustech PL-28II center from a forum member so I still have my $500 plus about $175 worth of amazon gift cards left.

I was thinking that might be enough to get a nice subwoofer and possibly a set of front speakers. So I guess my question now (maybe worthy of a new thread) is what subwoofer and front FS or BS speakers would pair nicely with the BIC Acoustech PL-28II? How about KEF Q100's for the fronts and maybe a Bic Acoustech PL-200 II subwoofer? There was another subwoofer that was recommended too that looks interesting, the Emotiva S12 but that might blow my budget for front speakers. I also could stick with my KEF PSW 2150 sub. I was quoted $100 for the repair and when it was working I was pretty satisfied with it. It sounds pretty clean and isn't boomy. For the fronts there is always the BIC PL-89II but it seems like those might not be all that much better than my current pioneers from reading reviews. Open to any suggestions.

On another interesting note I was at a friends house last night and he happened to have 2 Polk Monitor 70 Series II as his fronts and the Polk S35 center and a Polk PSW505 subwoofer. It all sounded miles better than my current AJ pioneer setup but it seemed like the sub wasn't really keeping up very well. We watched a space scene from The Expanse on his system and it seemed like I could hear everything that was going on pretty well but it sounded very polite to me and was lacking crispness. For example there were a few gunshots fired and it was quite obvious what they were and where they came from but they didn't have the sharp crack like a real gun shot. When I got back home I watched the same scene on my Pioneer setup and it sounded like there were thick blankets over top of the speakers compared to his Polk gear.
The $175 Amazon gift card can cover a pair of these, which should go quite well with the PL28:
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS5-3-...+core+speakers

That way you can spend $400 on the Emotiva S12. The next step up in subwoofers would be the Hsu VTF-2 but that's an additional $200.

Your friend's speakers sound much better than yours for HT because they are "bright" whereas your AJs are "warm." If you had spent 2 hours listening to music at loud volumes on his speakers I'll bet you wouldn't be quite so impressed, but for HT the "brightness" can be a positive.

By all accounts the Sony Core series (unlike previous Sony speakers) punch well above their price range, and provide lots of clarity and dynamics that you need for HT. They should pair well with the PL28 which is an excellent center already.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #28 of 70 Old 09-24-2017, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
killeraxemannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The $175 Amazon gift card can cover a pair of these, which should go quite well with the PL28:
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS5-3-...+core+speakers

That way you can spend $400 on the Emotiva S12. The next step up in subwoofers would be the Hsu VTF-2 but that's an additional $200.

Your friend's speakers sound much better than yours for HT because they are "bright" whereas your AJs are "warm." If you had spent 2 hours listening to music at loud volumes on his speakers I'll bet you wouldn't be quite so impressed, but for HT the "brightness" can be a positive.

By all accounts the Sony Core series (unlike previous Sony speakers) punch well above their price range, and provide lots of clarity and dynamics that you need for HT. They should pair well with the PL28 which is an excellent center already.
Do you think I would be happier with the Sony-SSCS5 and the Emotiva S12 than the KEF Q100's and the Bic Acoustech PL-200 II?
killeraxemannic is offline  
post #29 of 70 Old 09-24-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 15,019
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
By all accounts the Sony Core series (unlike previous Sony speakers) punch well above their price range, and provide lots of clarity and dynamics that you need for HT.
Bingo!

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers -- Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
zieglj01 is offline  
post #30 of 70 Old 09-24-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
Do you think I would be happier with the Sony-SSCS5 and the Emotiva S12 than the KEF Q100's and the Bic Acoustech PL-200 II?
It's a toss up! Sony + S12=better sub. Kef + PL-200=better speakers. Personally, I prefer better speakers than better sub, but not my call.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off