Speaker/Receiver upgrade for 4k TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 09-21-2017, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Speaker/Receiver upgrade for 4k TV

Hello!
I am planning on upgrading my old system to prepare for a 4k TV.
The room in question is oddly sized it is 9' 3" wide x 21' 3" long x 7' ceiling height which looks to be 1386.63 cubic foot.
I need some suggestion for speakers and a receiver. This will be mostly for watching movies, gaming, and some music listening.
I am also planning on later upgrading the system to 5.2.4 or possibly 5.2.2 setup, but right now I want to get the core speakers, then add the extra sub, and presence speakers.
My budget is around 4k, but can add a little more if need be. I do like my bass and I would consider myself a basshead. Any advice appreciated.

My thoughts right now for speakers is
table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }RP-260F
RP-450C
RP-250S
PB-1000

The receiver I was thinking of is the Yamaha RX-A2070
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 09-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmolk View Post
Hello!
The room in question is oddly sized it is 9' 3" wide x 21' 3" long x 7' ceiling height which looks to be 1386.63 cubic foot.
I need some suggestion for speakers and a receiver. This will be mostly for watching movies, gaming, and some music listening.
I am also planning on later upgrading the system to 5.2.4 or possibly 5.2.2 setup, but right now I want to get the core speakers, then add the extra sub, and presence speakers.
My budget is around 4k, but can add a little more if need be. I do like my bass and I would consider myself a basshead. Any advice appreciated.

table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }RP-260F
RP-450C
RP-250S
PB-1000

does your budget include the cost of the receiver? If not then since you consider yourself a bass head I would look at something like the dual drive package from HSU on the VTF-3 MK5 HP little over $1700 and that gets you 2 subs that reach down to the 20's and below and should give you more than enough bass to play with. If your handy at building things you could get WAY more bang for your buck the DIY route especially in the sub department. Those Klipsch speakers aren't bad or you could do something like the SVS Prime bookshelf surround system its $1050 has all the speakers except the sub, and you could go with an SVS sub as well. They also have a version with towers if you prefer that look for around $500 more. If you went the HSU dual drive subs and the SVS Prime Tower surround that will still leave about $800 for an AVR give or take.
post #3 of 36 Old 09-21-2017, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
does your budget include the cost of the receiver? If not then since you consider yourself a bass head I would look at something like the dual drive package from HSU on the VTF-3 MK5 HP little over $1700 and that gets you 2 subs that reach down to the 20's and below and should give you more than enough bass to play with. If your handy at building things you could get WAY more bang for your buck the DIY route especially in the sub department. Those Klipsch speakers aren't bad or you could do something like the SVS Prime bookshelf surround system its $1050 has all the speakers except the sub, and you could go with an SVS sub as well. They also have a version with towers if you prefer that look for around $500 more. If you went the HSU dual drive subs and the SVS Prime Tower surround that will still leave about $800 for an AVR give or take.
The receiver has a separate budget. The budget is dedicated to the speakers. I just want to upgrade from my current setup a rx-v1800 with acoustimas 10 setup. I am not really great at DIY. My other thought was 4 RP-260F with the RP-450C and the PB-1000. Would the prime tower system be good be with two sb-1000?

post #4 of 36 Old 09-21-2017, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The receiver has a separate budget. The budget is dedicated to the speakers. I just want to upgrade from my current setup a rx-v1800 with acoustimas 10 setup. I am not really great at DIY. My other thought was 4 RP-260F with the RP-450C and the PB-1000. Would the prime tower system be good be with two sb-1000?
Well with that kind of budget for just speakers the skys the limit to be honest. You could do the Prime Surround set up with SVS and add the SB16 Ultra Sub and still come in under budget. Or you could go with the PB16 Ultra, which one reviewer called 176lbs of structural destruction. I wouldn't bother with 4 RP-260F's though just get a standard surround speaker. The surrounds are the one place where you can easily save some money by going with something cheaper. The center channel does most of the work in surround sound, all the vocals and what not, then the left and right front channel and then the surrounds, the sub is separate of course. You can check out this Audioholics page http://www.audioholics.com/how-to-sh...ect-comparison it has a list of a bunch of Internet direct companies and you can look through their offers for speakers. As far as subs, HSU and SVS tend to be the most recommended brands for big subs. As far as speakers I would check out that sight and take a look at some of the offerings. Like I said with 4 grand just for speakers you have a TON of options. but I would reccomend about half of that budget maybe a bit more just dedicated to the sub as your a basshead.
post #5 of 36 Old 09-21-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
^^^ Yep about half of the budget for subs is about right, normally. Since your room is quite small something a like a pair of PSA S1801s would be great. You should get a ton of room gain and have usable output to under 15hz.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/S1801

A pair of ported subs like the HSU VTF3.5 will give you more output around port tune (18-25hz thereabouts) but won't extend as low and the S1801 will give you quite a bit more output above 30hz- where most content for movie and music resides.

Another sealed option that should have even more output and extension than the PSA S1801 is a pair of Rythmik F25s. Currently $2600 for a pair shipped.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F25.html

If both of those are out of your budget the PSA S1500 or HSU sealed 15" sub would be good choices.

SVS makes good subs but in terms of output you get more with other ID brands. If you're set on SVS a pair of PC/PB 2000s is the lowest I would go.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 36 Old 09-21-2017, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well with that kind of budget for just speakers the skys the limit to be honest. You could do the Prime Surround set up with SVS and add the SB16 Ultra Sub and still come in under budget. Or you could go with the PB16 Ultra, which one reviewer called 176lbs of structural destruction. I wouldn't bother with 4 RP-260F's though just get a standard surround speaker. The surrounds are the one place where you can easily save some money by going with something cheaper. The center channel does most of the work in surround sound, all the vocals and what not, then the left and right front channel and then the surrounds, the sub is separate of course. You can check out this Audioholics page it has a list of a bunch of Internet direct companies and you can look through their offers for speakers. As far as subs, HSU and SVS tend to be the most recommended brands for big subs. As far as speakers I would check out that sight and take a look at some of the offerings. Like I said with 4 grand just for speakers you have a TON of options. but I would reccomend about half of that budget maybe a bit more just dedicated to the sub as your a basshead.
Thank you for all the advice. I have been reading forum topics from here and doing some of my own research. Just a tough decision, but I definitely want to get something better then what I currently have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
^^^ Yep about half of the budget for subs is about right, normally. Since your room is quite small something a like a pair of PSA S1801s would be great. You should get a ton of room gain and have usable output to under 15hz.

A pair of ported subs like the HSU VTF3.5 will give you more output around port tune (18-25hz thereabouts) but won't extend as low and the S1801 will give you quite a bit more output above 30hz- where most content for movie and music resides.

Another sealed option that should have even more output and extension than the PSA S1801 is a pair of Rythmik F25s. Currently $2600 for a pair shipped.

If both of those are out of your budget the PSA S1500 or HSU sealed 15" sub would be good choices.

SVS makes good subs but in terms of output you get more with other ID brands. If you're set on SVS a pair of PC/PB 2000s is the lowest I would go.
Not dead set on SVS, just from reading various Klipsch threads most say to get the SVS subs. More research to go. Want to get what I want down and then order.
post #7 of 36 Old 09-21-2017, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the advice. It is a tough decision and I have been reading posts here and doing some searching around google. I am not dead set on SVS as the sub. I was reading a few threads for Klipsch speakers where they recommended to get SVS subs instead of Klipsch. Hopefully the wife wont mind she isnt of the same mind set as me when it comes to bass lol.
post #8 of 36 Old 09-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you both for the advice. It is a tough decision and I have been reading posts here and doing some searching around google. I am not dead set on SVS as the sub. I was reading a few threads for Klipsch speakers where they recommended to get SVS subs instead of Klipsch. Hopefully the wife wont mind she isnt of the same mind set as me when it comes to bass lol.
Well as most everyone will tell you klipsch subs are garbage. SVS PSA HSU almost anyone makes a better sub. The RP and RF series klipsch speakers are not bad though, they are not as polarizing as the cheap R series that most people agree are on the "bright" side, that means they emphasize the higher frequencies more in case you didn't know.

Had to edit my horrid typing from using my phone last night

Last edited by liffie420; 09-22-2017 at 06:52 AM.
post #9 of 36 Old 09-22-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
Hello!

RP-260F
RP-450C
RP-250S
PB-1000

The Klipsch RPs are an excellent Home Theater choice because you can buy a pair of speakers at Best Buy to see if you like the sound signature and if not just return them and move on.

The RP series has, as you know, bipole surrounds, (the cheaper RP240s would be more than enough IMHO), bookshelf choices, tower choices, Atmos add on modules and ceiling speakers if you don't want the add on modules.

I'd skip the Yamaha receiver and save $800 by buying this excellent Denon which has EQ for the subs.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX...nd.html?tp=179

For subs a pair of either of these excellent subs would be more than enough for your space IMHO but you could always opt for their bigger brothers if you want.

SVS makes excellent subs but due to their blanket "free return policy" they are more expensive than other options.

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R
350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $604 HSU VTF2 MK5, (verified by Audioholics review)

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 36 Old 09-25-2017, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The Klipsch RPs are an excellent Home Theater choice because you can buy a pair of speakers at Best Buy to see if you like the sound signature and if not just return them and move on.

The RP series has, as you know, bipole surrounds, (the cheaper RP240s would be more than enough IMHO), bookshelf choices, tower choices, Atmos add on modules and ceiling speakers if you don't want the add on modules.

I'd skip the Yamaha receiver and save $800 by buying this excellent Denon which has EQ for the subs.

For subs a pair of either of these excellent subs would be more than enough for your space IMHO but you could always opt for their bigger brothers if you want.

SVS makes excellent subs but due to their blanket "free return policy" they are more expensive than other options.

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R
350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $604 HSU VTF2 MK5, (verified by Audioholics review)
Wow thank you for the receiver tip. I am getting a great deal on a RP280F, RP-250S, & RP450C set. Going with dual SVS PB2000.
gajCA likes this.
post #11 of 36 Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow thank you for the receiver tip. I am getting a great deal on a RP280F, RP-250S, & RP450C set. Going with dual SVS PB2000.
That should be a great setup and having an AVR that EQs them both is ideal.

Geoff A. J., California
post #12 of 36 Old 09-25-2017, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 83
+1 for the HSU recommendations. Love them both for the subwoofer but also the speakers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Denon x4200w, Hsu CCB-8 (L/C/R/SL/SR), Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP
V: Vizio P65-C1, Xbox One S
Pic of above
post #13 of 36 Old 09-25-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Quote:
At their current sale price, the Hsu VTF-3 is just $62 more than the PB2000.

If you look closely at the specs for the 2 subs, you'll see why the Hsu is the better of the two: more powerful amp, bigger driver, tuneable ports.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html

Granted, you don't get SVS's free return shipping policy, but people very rarely ship subs back and forth anyhow unless they're defective.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #14 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

I am debating now between getting twin SVS PB2000 or dual VTF-3 or go with one PB-16 Ultra or maybe the SB-16 Ultra and get one later when budget allows.
post #15 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
I am debating now between getting twin SVS PB2000 or dual VTF-3 or go with one PB-16 Ultra or maybe the SB-16 Ultra and get one later when budget allows.
One way to save money to fund something like that: go for the RP-160m bookshelfs instead of the RP-260F. The (very good) subs you're looking at will nullify any differences between the 160m and the 260F.

If you're stuck on tower speakers, you could consider the 250F too, I would say they are loud enough for your room.
Zorba922 likes this.

Denon 1612 ; Klipsch RP-160m ; Klipsch RP-250c ; Wharfedale Valdus 300 ; Emotiva Basx s12
post #16 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
dual VTF-3 or go with one PB-16 Ultra
I'd go one of these options. If you think you might later get another one, I'd go PB-16. If not, I'd go VTF-3 dual drive.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #17 of 36 Old 09-27-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For you room all of those options are overkill IMHO.

I'd get dual VTF2s and call it a day for under $1200 total.

Geoff A. J., California
post #18 of 36 Old 09-29-2017, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for all the advice. I got the denon x4300h, rp-280f, rp-450c, rp250S, and dual vtf-3. Now to impatiently wait for it to all get here.
post #19 of 36 Old 09-29-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you all for all the advice. I got the denon x4300h, rp-280f, rp-450c, rp250S, and dual vtf-3. Now to impatiently wait for it to all get here.
Wow; that should be killer.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Geoff A. J., California
post #20 of 36 Old 09-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Curious to see what you think about the 280f and the 450c. I was thinking of going DIYSG 893's to replace my current LCR but I am kind of leaning back toward the Klipsch RP series its about a $400 difference for the LCR if I go Klipsch. The DIYSG speakers are cheaper and from what I have been told will walk all over even the RF 7II Klipsch speakers, subjective opinion of course as it all preferences in sound.
post #21 of 36 Old 09-29-2017, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Curious to see what you think about the 280f and the 450c. I was thinking of going DIYSG 893's to replace my current LCR but I am kind of leaning back toward the Klipsch RP series its about a $400 difference for the LCR if I go Klipsch. The DIYSG speakers are cheaper and from what I have been told will walk all over even the RF 7II Klipsch speakers, subjective opinion of course as it all preferences in sound.
I will say the 450C is monstrous in size. I wont have my RF-280F speakers and subs until Monday. So far I just got my RP-450C, 2 RP-250S, and the Denon receiver. Really anxious to try it all out.
post #22 of 36 Old 09-29-2017, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will say the 450C is monstrous in size. I wont have my RF-280F speakers and subs until Monday. So far I just got my RP-450C, 2 RP-250S, and the Denon receiver. Really anxious to try it all out.
Yeah I am thinking of going with the 440C its a couple inches smaller. I am still just debating which direction to go. I know the DIYSG 893's are outstanding performers but I have to build them, which isn't terribly difficult but I will have to do it at a friends house who has a shop and tools because I have neither not even a garage. Then there is the finish, painting would be cheaper but I would like to do a nice veneer, but if I go that route I'm approaching what it would cost for the Klipsch's. Plus I would like to put the 893's on a base raise them up to ear level and thats additional cost. I think I would be better served with the 893's but part of me it just wanting to be lazy and go with a retail speaker lol
post #23 of 36 Old 09-30-2017, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

To my surprise the subs came today. Was expecting them on Monday. I think I pulled many muscles getting them into the house. Now to wait for my RP-280F's on Monday and setup. I am excited and have a feeling this is going to blow my mind away.
gajCA and pase22 like this.
post #24 of 36 Old 10-01-2017, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
To my surprise the subs came today. Was expecting them on Monday. I think I pulled many muscles getting them into the house. Now to wait for my RP-280F's on Monday and setup. I am excited and have a feeling this is going to blow my mind away.
Yeah those subs arent light. I think the PB16 Ultra's are 176lbs
post #25 of 36 Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Yes it will!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mind blowing.gif
Views:	16
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2291106  
Zorba922 likes this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #26 of 36 Old 10-01-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Study up on the EQ section of the manual before the rest comes in unless you are an old pro with Denon AVR menus/setup/Audyssey.

Geoff A. J., California
post #27 of 36 Old 10-01-2017, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Study up on the EQ section of the manual before the rest comes in unless you are an old pro with Denon AVR menus/setup/Audyssey.
Yeah I am going through the manual. My first Denon receiver, but it certainly does put out some good sound with my old speakers. Cant wait till I get all the good speakers hooked up.
post #28 of 36 Old 10-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Denon receiver isn't to bad. I got one last year after having an old Harmon Kardon AVR and it was al pretty straight forward to me. some of the settings like standby video/audio passthrough are a little hard to find though.
post #29 of 36 Old 10-02-2017, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

To my disappointment my other rp-280f will be here tomorrow They were shipped separately. I have the subs, surrounds, and 1 speaker all setup sigh. I was really hoping to fire it up today. Oh well I guess I can wait one more day..... Think I got the hang of the Denon now. I am mighty impressed at the RP-280F so far. Very heavy and very beautiful looking. My wife went holy crap that's a big speaker lol. Can't wait to hear it.
post #30 of 36 Old 10-02-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To my disappointment my other rp-280f will be here tomorrow They were shipped separately. I have the subs, surrounds, and 1 speaker all setup sigh. I was really hoping to fire it up today. Oh well I guess I can wait one more day..... Think I got the hang of the Denon now. I am mighty impressed at the RP-280F so far. Very heavy and very beautiful looking. My wife went holy crap that's a big speaker lol. Can't wait to hear it.
I'd run it without the left and right by simply setting up the AVR as if everything is there and simply not hooking up the speaker wire to the existing RP280 and listen in 3.2 just for initial giggles.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page