5.1.2 with $3k Budget - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By jjackkrash
  • 1 Post By Leon O
  • 2 Post By Leon O
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
5.1.2 with $3k Budget

I could use some help on my speaker selection. Each professional I speak with seems to be steering me towards whatever they happen to sell in the shop (not that I'm surprised). I haven't decided on whether I'll get 5.1.2 or 7.1.0... I have someone coming out from Best Buy Magnolia to give me some advice next week. See below for the requested info from the sticky thread

1) Your budget: About $3k for the full set up. It's a flexible budget, so if I need to spend a little more (or less) that's fine
2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music--and whether or not any of those are your primary concern: Primarily movies / live sports. Some video games, some music, but probably less than 10% on the latter two
3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon: None. The $3k is for speakers -- I'll buy whatever receiver I need separately and still need to do my research on that
4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice): Total room is about 18' deep and 14' wide with 9' ceilings. Riser for a 2nd row of seating begins about 11 feet back. The front and 2 side walls are full walls, the rear is essentially a half wall with the bottom half being a bar for people in the adjacent room to sit at. When we watch a movie, we'll pull a curtain across the entire back, but for live sports / parties it'll be mostly open. That's to say, the rear speakers will be mounted on the side walls rather than the back.
5) Any placement restrictions: see above. We DO want in wall speakers. We're okay have a sub sit in the front corner. We have enough space o the front wall that we don't need to do a acoustically transparent screen.
6) Any aesthetic or size concerns: In wall speakers
7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider): Magnolia salesman recommends Sonance, specifically the VP62. Not sure if that's just for the front speakers or all speakers.
8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.): None that I know of. We've never used anything other than "TV sound", so in reality anything we choose will be a giant upgrade for us.

Like I said, I'm still not sure if we will do 5.1.2 or 7.1 -- is there a way to determine which will be best in my specific set up? I've heard people say a well placed 5.1 will be better than a poorly placed 7.1.x, but I'm not sure how to figure out which is better for my space. I can upload pictures / floorpan tomorrow if it'd help with that decision. Is $3k a good budget for these speakers, or should I spend more / less? I don't want to spend money for the sake of spending money... like to find where the diminishing returns start ramping up. For comparison sake, I plan on getting the JVC 500 series projector... maybe the Epson 5040 (though I haven't really looked at the new Sony 285 yet, so that may change!)
slugworth937 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,327
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked: 2786
$3K for 90% HT/TV in a room that size is ample.

I'd put around $1K into a monstrous sub, like one of these:

Hsu VTF-3 or VTF-15H
http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

PSA 15V, V1500, or V1801
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/vented-subwoofers

Rythmik
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...ubs/fvx15.html
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...bs/fv15hp.html

I wouldn't spend much over $1K for in-walls.

7 of these from Hsu:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hiw-1.html
which are based on this bookshelf speaker:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

Or if you really want to spend more, you could go with JBL:

3 of these up front for $900 shipped:
http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUD...=Black#start=1
with
2-4 of these as surrounds:
http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/AREN...=Black#start=1

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Actual pics of the room would help. If you can't do speakers in walls behind the people watching with some separation, then I would not opt for 7 ear-level speakers. 9 foot ceilings would be good for Atmos, however, so maybe 5.1.4 (5 ear level and 4 in ceiling), which would be 9 speakers and at least one sub. The first thing I would do is determine whether you can meet ideal guidelines for Atmos in a 5.1.4 or 5.1.2 set up and them make speaker decisions. Maybe take a few minutes and read through this and see if Atmos works in your room:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf

And to clarify, do you want in walls for everything except the sub, including the front left, center, and right (L/C/R)?
jjackkrash is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Actual pics of the room would help. If you can't do speakers in walls behind the people watching with some separation, then I would not opt for 7 ear-level speakers. 9 foot ceilings would be good for Atmos, however, so maybe 5.1.4 (5 ear level and 4 in ceiling), which would be 9 speakers and at least one sub. The first thing I would do is determine whether you can meet ideal guidelines for Atmos in a 5.1.4 or 5.1.2 set up and them make speaker decisions. Maybe take a few minutes and read through this and see if Atmos works in your room:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf

And to clarify, do you want in walls for everything except the sub, including the front left, center, and right (L/C/R)?
Thanks for the info links -- i'll read through that tonight and take a look at the room again tomorrow or the day after. To answer your last question, yes, we'd like to keep everything in wall.
slugworth937 is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 09-21-2017, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
When outfitting a theater with more than one row, do you typically optimize for one row, or choose something in the middle of ideal placement for both rows?
slugworth937 is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 09-22-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,509
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post
When outfitting a theater with more than one row, do you typically optimize for one row, or choose something in the middle of ideal placement for both rows?
That's where bipole surrounds mounted on the wall would come into play but as that is not an option I'd call Crutchfield and ask their advice, (you don't have to buy anything from them).

This review of Sonance in walls says there are better and cheaper alternatives as Zorba pointed out.

https://hometheaterreview.com/sonanc...viewed/?page=2

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 09-22-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post
When outfitting a theater with more than one row, do you typically optimize for one row, or choose something in the middle of ideal placement for both rows?
I generally pick the seat I want to sit in, and then optimize for the guy who paid for everything.
sigpig likes this.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,425
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 255
S-Worth,

Take a look at SVS. If possible can you post a rough sketch of the room?

Mike Miles
mmiles is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Leon O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Western MA
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 144
If you are using the system primarily for movies and live sports, then clarity of dialogue is likely to be your priority.

For movies the surround speakers are primarily for providing ambiance & effects so clarity may be of less importance. You probably don't want to spend a lot of your budget for the most accurate sounding rain, wind, gunshots and helicopter sounds...

Likewise, for live sports the commentary will be coming from the front speakers. You don't need to spend a lot to hear the fans cheering Behind you. On the other hand if you are using mono or multi-channel stereo for the games, then dialogue on the sides will become more important.

To determine your tastes, you still want to audition speakers to learn about the sound signatures that work best for you. Since music is not a priority for you, listen to the dialogue of movies, TV shows and sports to see which type sound best to you. When I say type you should consider the design, such as soft dome, aluminum dome tweeter, horn, ribbon tweeter, 2-way vs 3-way, etc. Also listen to them in different situations, such as quiet and loud levels. Sometimes speakers that sound great at low levels may become fatiguing a very loud levels.

Also consider your typical listening conditions. For instance, if everyone in sitting quietly in suspense then you may want accurate speakers that deliver subtle nuances to the listeners. In contrast, if you usually have a room full of cheering fans, then you may want to sacrifice the nuances in exchange for speakers that emphasize dialogue (i.e. PA/horn sound)
Zorba922 likes this.
Leon O is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 07:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Leon O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Western MA
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Since in-wall speakers are required, you may want to call HTD (HomeTheaterDirect) and RSL Speakers. They both have good reputations with regard to providing advice over the phone. Also, they are both known to offer quality products at very reasonable prices.
gajCA and Zorba922 like this.
Leon O is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Okay, I took some pictures this morning to give a better view of our space. We plan on installing some heavy theater curtains on a track that will go just in front of the bar (on the theater side) so we can enclose the theater when needed.

The idea was the have an open viewing option when we have a large group over for something like the Super Bowl -- people could be playing pool and other games and still have view of the screen. At the same time, we also wanted to be able to create an immersive experience when I pull out Lord of the Rings for the 100th time. This was the best way we could think to accomplish both goals.

The downside is that there isn't a back wall for true rear channel speakers. The magnolia tech suggested either putting the real channel speakers in the ceiling behind the 2nd row (I don't know how this would impact the placement of the atmos speakers, or steer us away from Atmos completely), or putting them at ear level in the wall as far back as we could. That would allow us to do the atmos speakers in the ceiling, but might not be ideal. If we did that, I think 7.x would be overkill since that would give us 7 ear level speakers. If we did them in the ceiling, maybe 7.x would be better than atmos, as we could still have 5 ear level speakers and then the 2 rear-channel in the ceiling?

We have another tech from an independent media company coming over next Tuesday, so I'll get another opinion, but I've slowly started to realize that the people in this forum seem to know more than anyone they've sent over to my house.

On a related subject -- they want around $2k for install. Is that reasonable or ridiculous? Is that something I should plan on doing myself, or is that something I could potentially mess up on? has anyone ever paid for the $500 crutchfield 7 speaker installation service?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Media Room Plans.PNG
Views:	33
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	2287186  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg View from Gameroom.JPG (58.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg View from Screen.JPG (46.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Side View.JPG (53.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Game room view.JPG (62.1 KB, 20 views)
slugworth937 is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,509
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post
Okay, I took some pictures this morning to give a better view of our space. We plan on installing some heavy theater curtains on a track that will go just in front of the bar (on the theater side) so we can enclose the theater when needed.

The idea was the have an open viewing option when we have a large group over for something like the Super Bowl -- people could be playing pool and other games and still have view of the screen. At the same time, we also wanted to be able to create an immersive experience when I pull out Lord of the Rings for the 100th time. This was the best way we could think to accomplish both goals.

The downside is that there isn't a back wall for true rear channel speakers. The magnolia tech suggested either putting the real channel speakers in the ceiling behind the 2nd row (I don't know how this would impact the placement of the atmos speakers, or steer us away from Atmos completely), or putting them at ear level in the wall as far back as we could. That would allow us to do the atmos speakers in the ceiling, but might not be ideal. If we did that, I think 7.x would be overkill since that would give us 7 ear level speakers. If we did them in the ceiling, maybe 7.x would be better than atmos, as we could still have 5 ear level speakers and then the 2 rear-channel in the ceiling?

We have another tech from an independent media company coming over next Tuesday, so I'll get another opinion, but I've slowly started to realize that the people in this forum seem to know more than anyone they've sent over to my house.

On a related subject -- they want around $2k for install. Is that reasonable or ridiculous? Is that something I should plan on doing myself, or is that something I could potentially mess up on? has anyone ever paid for the $500 crutchfield 7 speaker installation service?
Yeah, I'd talk to Crutchfield.

$2000 is ridiculous.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Leon O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Western MA
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post
On a related subject -- they want around $2k for install. Is that reasonable or ridiculous? Is that something I should plan on doing myself, or is that something I could potentially mess up on? has anyone ever paid for the $500 crutchfield 7 speaker installation service?
$2k might be understandable if a lot of wires are being run through the walls. $500 might be ok if raceway is being used to run the wires along the walls. Raceway is the track that covers the wires along the walls.

You should be able to install the raceway yourself, but the cost of the raceway can add up if you have a bunch of long runs. That's why I still have exposed wires after 4 months

If you know where and how you want the wires run, it might be less expensive than $2000 to hire an electrician to run wires through the walls. Also, a good electrician may be less likely to take shortcuts.
Leon O is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon O View Post
$2k might be understandable if a lot of wires are being run through the walls. $500 might be ok if raceway is being used to run the wires along the walls. Raceway is the track that covers the wires along the walls.

You should be able to install the raceway yourself, but the cost of the raceway can add up if you have a bunch of long runs. That's why I still have exposed wires after 4 months

If you know where and how you want the wires run, it might be less expensive than $2000 to hire an electrician to run wires through the walls. Also, a good electrician may be less likely to take shortcuts.
It's all pre-wired at this point. He said that price (and the other independent theater company quoted a similar price, site unseen) included installation of the speakers if wiring was already there, connecting it all to the receiver, installing projector, calibrating, etc. It's a lot of stuff, but I figure it comes out to something like $250 / hour which didn't sound reasonable to me either.
slugworth937 is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Leon O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Western MA
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post
It's all pre-wired at this point. He said that price (and the other independent theater company quoted a similar price, site unseen) included installation of the speakers if wiring was already there, connecting it all to the receiver, installing projector, calibrating, etc. It's a lot of stuff, but I figure it comes out to something like $250 / hour which didn't sound reasonable to me either.
  • It may be worth having a pro cut holes in the wall and mounting the speaker if you are unwilling to take the risk of a DIY look for a mounted speaker.
  • Connecting pre-existing wires to speakers and a receiver is very simple.
  • Calibrating a video system is a special skill and may be worth the price if you are a perfectionist.
  • I'll leave installation of a project to other experts.

If you are the least bit handy, you would be able to handle some or all of the installation yourself.
Leon O is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post
It's all pre-wired at this point. He said that price (and the other independent theater company quoted a similar price, site unseen) included installation of the speakers if wiring was already there, connecting it all to the receiver, installing projector, calibrating, etc. It's a lot of stuff, but I figure it comes out to something like $250 / hour which didn't sound reasonable to me either.
It depends on how much your time is worth and how much you enjoy it. Me, I enjoy installing things on my own and would not pay someone else to do something I enjoy. It there are wires already there, cutting holes in sheetrock and building backer boxes if needed is a cakewalk if you have a few basic tools.

If I were you, I would have 5 ear level speakers and 4 atmos speakers in that space. Get the rear surrounds mid wall and as far back as the back wall will allow aimed at the MLP. The overheads should go front third of the room lined up with L/R/ and get the back overheads just over the back wall/bar area, maybe a touch inside the back wall.

I'd also consider also adding front heights if 3d Auro was in your cards for music, but I have 5.1.4 in my living room with the room open in the back to the kitchen (no front heights) and its awesome.

If you get the 5.1.4 properly spaced with adequate subs I am confident you will be very, very happy. Trying to stuff seven ear level speakers would be a waste of time in that space and might even be worse.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post

On a related subject -- they want around $2k for install.
That's a ported 18" sub from Rythmik or JTR and change. I'd cut a few holes in the sheetrock myself.

Install tip: get these on the ends of the speaker wires, they make life so much easier:

https://www.amazon.com/Strike-Banana.../dp/B00VXQBK3Q
jjackkrash is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
It depends on how much your time is worth and how much you enjoy it. Me, I enjoy installing things on my own and would not pay someone else to do something I enjoy. It there are wires already there, cutting holes in sheetrock and building backer boxes if needed is a cakewalk if you have a few basic tools.

If I were you, I would have 5 ear level speakers and 4 atmos speakers in that space. Get the rear surrounds mid wall and as far back as the back wall will allow aimed at the MLP. The overheads should go front third of the room lined up with L/R/ and get the back overheads just over the back wall/bar area, maybe a touch inside the back wall.

I'd also consider also adding front heights if 3d Auro was in your cards for music, but I have 5.1.4 in my living room with the room open in the back to the kitchen (no front heights) and its awesome.

If you get the 5.1.4 properly spaced with adequate subs I am confident you will be very, very happy. Trying to stuff seven ear level speakers would be a waste of time in that space and might even be worse.
That's what I was afraid of and appreciate your advice. Anyone have other thoughts? Would there be a big difference between 5.1.2 and 5.1.4? I guess you're only talking an extra couple hundred bucks at that point to do the 5.1.4, which seems like a no brainer if I'm spending $4k on a projector and who knows how much of recliners, etc.
slugworth937 is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,327
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked: 2786
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post
On a related subject -- they want around $2k for install. Is that reasonable or ridiculous? Is that something I should plan on doing myself, or is that something I could potentially mess up on?
Are you POSITIVE you absolutely MUST have in-walls?

Free-standing speakers = a fraction of the cost, zero installer or self-installation clusterf*cks, and you get EXPONENTIALLY better sound.

And when you move, much easier to take with you.

You can also get compact sealed speakers that can be discreetly wall-mounted so that they won't dominate the room, see photo attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ascend 200 sides and rears.jpg (506.2 KB, 28 views)

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Leon O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Western MA
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post
That's what I was afraid of and appreciate your advice. Anyone have other thoughts? Would there be a big difference between 5.1.2 and 5.1.4? I guess you're only talking an extra couple hundred bucks at that point to do the 5.1.4, which seems like a no brainer if I'm spending $4k on a projector and who knows how much of recliners, etc.
For sports, the atmos speakers probably will not add that much to your game experience. But, rear surrounds (x.x.4) might be a worthwhile expense if you are looking for a totally enveloping movie experience. For my pre-Atmos system, I gave up the channels for the rear surrounds in order to have front/wides.
Leon O is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Based on the feedback from here, it sounds like my best bet based on my room is going to be 5.1.4.

With that in mind, how would you spend $3000 to $4000 on speakers? Zorba recommended some JBL speakers or some HSU. It's hard since I haven't heard them and am not sure where I can go to test them out. The Magnolia section at our best buy's cheapest speakers are the VP62 at $400 per pair, and it doesn't sound like anyone here recommends those speakers. Frankly, after listening to them in the show room, I was inclined to spend more money and get the Martin Logan 6 1/2" ElectroMotion speakers, but I really don't want to spend that much if I don't have to.
slugworth937 is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 09-23-2017, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
I am not sure about in-walls for L/C/R, but I have had my eye on these (I have not heard them):

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/082919-JBL-Control-321C

90 degree dispersion pattern, efficient compression driver, concentric point source, 12" woofer, super efficient and high output, and priced reasonably. This would get you in-wall L/C/R for under $1K and I strongly suspect they are crush most other in-wall offerings for anywhere near this price.

These are 8" and a wider dispersion patter and would work great for surrounds and overheads (they are cousins with JBL SCS8, which JBL uses in their demo rooms for surround speakers):

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/082923-JBL-Control-328C

This would take care of 9 speakers for under $3k.

I'd recommend at least 2 ported 15" subs. Minimum:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HPDual.html

2 of these would be even better:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html
jjackkrash is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 09-24-2017, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Peterc613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Van Nuys, CA
Posts: 1,190
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post
Like I said, I'm still not sure if we will do 5.1.2 or 7.1 -- is there a way to determine which will be best in my specific set up? I've heard people say a well placed 5.1 will be better than a poorly placed 7.1.x, but I'm not sure how to figure out which is better for my space. I can upload pictures / floorpan tomorrow if it'd help with that decision. Is $3k a good budget for these speakers, or should I spend more / less? I don't want to spend money for the sake of spending money... like to find where the diminishing returns start ramping up. For comparison sake, I plan on getting the JVC 500 series projector... maybe the Epson 5040 (though I haven't really looked at the new Sony 285 yet, so that may change!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post
The downside is that there isn't a back wall for true rear channel speakers. The magnolia tech suggested either putting the real channel speakers in the ceiling behind the 2nd row (I don't know how this would impact the placement of the atmos speakers, or steer us away from Atmos completely), or putting them at ear level in the wall as far back as we could. That would allow us to do the atmos speakers in the ceiling, but might not be ideal. If we did that, I think 7.x would be overkill since that would give us 7 ear level speakers. If we did them in the ceiling, maybe 7.x would be better than atmos, as we could still have 5 ear level speakers and then the 2 rear-channel in the ceiling?

On a related subject -- they want around $2k for install. Is that reasonable or ridiculous? Is that something I should plan on doing myself, or is that something I could potentially mess up on? has anyone ever paid for the $500 crutchfield 7 speaker installation service?

I really think you are shortchanging yourself looking at doing only 5.1 or even 7.1. Immersive 3D audio has come a long way with Dolby Atmos. Having the additional rear and overhead channels makes a BIG difference. Since 1995 my system has grown from 5.1 with laserdisc, to 7.1, then 9.1 and 11.1 with DVD and now 9.1.4 with Atmos on BluRay. Each addition sounded more immersive than the last. Why limit yourself to a 5.1 theater layout from 20 years ago when all the newer AVR's will do 7.1.4 or 9.1.2? Below is the scale blueprint of your theater with the recommended angles for Dolby base surround sound channels and Dolby Atmos height channels superimposed on top. Your room size of 20' 4" by 14' 4" is large enough to accommodate a 7.1 or 9.1 base channel layout. Using your 9 foot ceiling height, your can easily accommodate 4 overhead Atmos speakers placed at 55 degree elevation from seated ear level at approx 30" off the floor.

You have room for theater seating for eight people. Using 22" seats with 6" armrests will give you 30" clearance on either side with 24" clearance between front and back rows for access. Using the center of the front row as a point of reference and going by the Dolby guidelines for recommended speaker placement, you could do either 9 base channels with wide and side speakers or 7 base channels with two side channels in the wood columns.

I have also included either a 165" 2:35 screen or a 130" 16:9 screen in the diagram for perspective. A screen aspect ration of 16:9 is normally used for HDTV broadcast television. A screen aspect ratio of 2.35:1 is normally used for widescreen movies on BluRay. Both screens share the same screen height of 64" with the 16:9 screen being 114" wide and the 2.35:1 screen being 152" wide. The projectors you are looking at both have lens memory. If you get a wider screen, you can accommodate both sizes of picture by saving the focus for a 16:9 image under one preset and the focus for a 2.35:1 image under a second preset. This is called a constant height theater because you can watch both HDTV and Widescreen movies on the same screen.







The way the speaker wire is already run to your wooden columns, means either narrow surface mount speakers on the columns or finding in wall speakers that will fit within the molding on the columns. As a general rule of thumb, surface mount speakers in a properly designed enclosure will always sound better than speakers mounted in wall with no enclosure. There are some very expensive speakers from companies like Triad that include a back box with their in-wall speakers. But at your $3k price point for a complete surround system, there are no in-walls with back boxes (especially ones narrow enough to fit in those wooden columns), so surface mount speakers are definitely the better sounding way to go.

As it turns out Golden Ear makes an excellent SuperSat series of speakers that will fit nicely on those narrow columns, and are also reasonably priced. Sandy Goss is the designer behind Golden Ear and he's one of the legends on the audio community. First with Polk Audio, then with Definitive Technology, and finally with Golden ear, Sandy had always been at the forefront of performance to value. The SuperSats all have a folded ribbon tweeters and 4.5" cast-basket upper bass/midrange drivers mounted in a non-resonant marble-powder infused polymer cabinet with a cloth speaker cover. Golden Ear also had an Invisia series of in-ceiling speakers with the same folded ribbon tweeter and bass drivers. The important thing with 3D immersive audio is to make sure that all the speakers have matching timber and response. Go on line and check out the reviews for Golden Ear Atmos systems at the audio shows. Sandy always manages to get a best in show designation.

For subs my personal preference for performance/value is the 18" JTR 118HT, which is hard to beat. For about $300 less the new Monoprice 15" sub is also a good value. Although you can fit an a Golden Ear SuperSat 3 and Invisia 525 system within your $3k budget, I'd really recommend allocating more for audio so you can get Either SuperSat 50's or 60'for your main front speakers and Invisia HTR 7000's for overhead speakers. A room that large with an open rear wall to an even larger game room really calls for an 18" ported subwoofer to enjoy action adventure soundtracks. Because of the open rear wall, you're not going to get any appreciable room gain, so your subwoofer is doing all the LFE heavy lifting by itself. Immersive surround sound and epically a good subwoofer are critical to draw you into a film and an emotionally engaging experience. You'll be glad you spent the extra money on speakers and subs when you start enjoying the system and showing it off to friends.

As far as the quotes for installation you got, $2,000 sounds like a lot of money considering most of the hard work is already done with the speaker wire in the columns. My low voltage guy charges about $75 - $150 a drop for installing wire depending upon how complicated the situation. A good drywall guy won't cost more than a few hundred to patch the holes and paint the room. Mounting Golden Ear Superset speakers is easy, you can do it yourself and save some money. For the projector you are better off running 1" conduit because the HDMI standards keep changing every few years as projectors get better and better. For HDMI, I would only consider cable certified by DPL labs for the specific distance between your equipment rack and your projector. For projectors, both the models you listed are very nice, but I'd also check out the new Sony 4K projectors that just got released at CEDIA. The Sony VW385ES has true 4K resolution (not e-shift faux 4K like JVC and Epson) with HDR and lens memory.


Golden Ear SuperSat

https://www.goldenear.com/products/supersat-series




Golden Ear Invisia

https://www.goldenear.com/products/invisa-series




Monoprice 15" Ultra Sub

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24458




JTR 118HT Sub

http://jtrspeakers.com/captivator-118ht.html




Sony VW385ES 4K HDR projector

http://www.avsforum.com/sony-vpl-vw2...rs-cedia-2017/


Last edited by Peterc613; 09-24-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Peterc613 is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 09-24-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,327
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked: 2786
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth937 View Post
With that in mind, how would you spend $3000 to $4000 on speakers? Zorba recommended some JBL speakers or some HSU. It's hard since I haven't heard them and am not sure where I can go to test them out. The Magnolia section at our best buy's cheapest speakers are the VP62 at $400 per pair, and it doesn't sound like anyone here recommends those speakers. Frankly, after listening to them in the show room, I was inclined to spend more money and get the Martin Logan 6 1/2" ElectroMotion speakers, but I really don't want to spend that much if I don't have to.
For 90% HT use with in-walls, you really don't need to spend more than $200-300 per speaker---HT use is fairly undemanding (it's easy to find speakers with adequate detail and dynamics) and in-walls due to the inherent limitations of their design can only sound so good no matter how much money you spend IMO.

Just make sure you have adequate subs in play.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 09-24-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 15,020
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 1632
JBL Studio 2 in wall speakers
https://www.worldwidestereo.com/prod...air-stud26iwpr

https://www.worldwidestereo.com/prod...ach-studio26iw

https://www.worldwidestereo.com/prod...ch-studio255iw

JBL in ceiling

Studio in ceiling
https://www.worldwidestereo.com/prod...air-stud26icpr

Arena in ceiling
https://www.worldwidestereo.com/prod...-each-arena6ic

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers -- Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
zieglj01 is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 09-24-2017, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for all the recommendations. It sounds like a consistent thread among all the posters is to spend up and get a higher end subwoofer, and I suppose that makes sense with Peterc's explanation.
slugworth937 is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 09-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got into sonos ever since linking one of them with my google home. Not sure if they are what you want but might be worth taking a look:

http://intelligenthomeblog.com/tech/sonos-sub-review/

I would be cautious of any salesman pushing stuff on you,
smarthome001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off