When a hobby starts to become a vice..... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By WMConey
  • 1 Post By Lp85253
  • 1 Post By 1201
  • 2 Post By rabident
  • 1 Post By bluewizard
  • 1 Post By 1201

post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2017, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 44
When a hobby starts to become a vice.....

So I'm sitting in my home office participating in a video conference using the laptop audio when the audio degrades and I can't clearly hear what's being said. My first thought was "I could get a pair of bookshelves in here and really start having things sound better....."
Lp85253 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-22-2017, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post
So I'm sitting in my home office participating in a video conference using the laptop audio when the audio degrades and I can't clearly hear what's being said. My first thought was "I could get a pair of bookshelves in here and really start having things sound better....."
just practical application..
WMConey likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-22-2017, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
but would they have a dome tweeter, or compression driver, or maybe a ribbon tweeter.
would you be able to implement a class ab amp?
how is the room treatment?
where would you have to sit to get a perfect phantom image?
where does dispersion start to narrow..

once we start down this rabbit hole, it takes divine intervention to ever come back
Lp85253 likes this.

THANK YOU!!! for your selfless contribution to the audio world
Anders Torger for Brutefir
Thomas Drugeon for Rephase
John Mulcahy for room eq wizard
Denis Sbragion for DRC room correction
Juha Hartikainen for Winisd

post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1201 View Post
but would they have a dome tweeter, or compression driver, or maybe a ribbon tweeter.
would you be able to implement a class ab amp?
how is the room treatment?
where would you have to sit to get a perfect phantom image?
where does dispersion start to narrow..
That's just this forum. Head over to the dedicated room construction forum, and see if the room was properly designed and constructed for audio playback. His problem may be that he needs to sell his house, buy a plot of land, and build a new house so his the room can be properly designed & constructed for audio playback.

• Was room's foundation properly isolated?
  • Are the walls and ceiling sound proofed?
  • Were the proper custom acoustic treatments built into the walls to counteract the problems the isolation techniques cause?
  • Was the room's dedicated HVAC system designed by engineers that are capable of meeting the specified noise level for the room?
  • Were bad room dimensions and shapes avoided?
  • Is the room fully dedicated - no bar, bathroom, fridge, cabinets, or other conveniences in the room.
  • Is the door built like bank vault, complete with custom seals that deploy to seal the room air tight?
  • Were thousands of pounds of sand brought in to make a stable base for the subs?
  • Are the speakers in a properly designed baffle wall?
  • Were dedicated circuits run for each amp, powered from an isolated/balanced power transformer?
Lp85253 and gottajam like this.

post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
If the sound is degrading during Video Conferencing, is it the data link or the audio equipment that is at fault? Video Conferencing breaks up and degrades even more than cell phone.

However, it is more than fair to want a decent microphone and good clear speakers.

How many of these - $$$$$$$$$ - do you have to spend?

A photo of the room or the desk or both would give us a much better sense of what is possible. How much room do you have to place speakers? Who big of speakers can you tolerate? What other purposes would you use the speaker for?

Steve/bluewizard
Lp85253 likes this.

Last edited by bluewizard; 09-23-2017 at 09:35 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4300 Post(s)
Liked: 2759
Quote:
Many inexpensive powered options including these:

Seems people are discovering them as they are currently out of stock.

https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf...-speakers.html

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
That's just this forum. Head over to the dedicated room construction forum, and see if the room was properly designed and constructed for audio playback. His problem may be that he needs to sell his house, buy a plot of land, and build a new house so his the room can be properly designed & constructed for audio playback.

• Was room's foundation properly isolated?
  • Are the walls and ceiling sound proofed?
  • Were the proper custom acoustic treatments built into the walls to counteract the problems the isolation techniques cause?
  • Was the room's dedicated HVAC system designed by engineers that are capable of meeting the specified noise level for the room?
  • Were bad room dimensions and shapes avoided?
  • Is the room fully dedicated - no bar, bathroom, fridge, cabinets, or other conveniences in the room.
  • Is the door built like bank vault, complete with custom seals that deploy to seal the room air tight?
  • Were thousands of pounds of sand brought in to make a stable base for the subs?
  • Are the speakers in a properly designed baffle wall?
  • Were dedicated circuits run for each amp, powered from an isolated/balanced power transformer?
LOL. That's some awesome stuff.
I need to have that type of commitment for my next room, so that when its all done and the room sounds immaculate and PERFECT, I can finally enjoy Sesame Street as it was meant to be heard
Lp85253 likes this.

THANK YOU!!! for your selfless contribution to the audio world
Anders Torger for Brutefir
Thomas Drugeon for Rephase
John Mulcahy for room eq wizard
Denis Sbragion for DRC room correction
Juha Hartikainen for Winisd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page