Online dating a speaker doesn't work...Klipsch vs Elac Debut vs Polk RTiA vs Polk Sig - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 2 Post By sk373
  • 1 Post By TuteTibiImperes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 2 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By BufordTJustice
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By jnklight@comcast.net

post #1 of 26 Old 09-22-2017, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Online dating a speaker doesn't work...Klipsch vs Elac Debut vs Polk RTiA vs Polk Sig

There's no doubt in my mind that you can't tell if you like a speaker by reading it's specs. You need to listen to it. But I'm looking for a system built on fronts in the $300-$500 range (each). I can't find any HT stores in my area that fill their soundrooms with speakers of this price category. They are alaways filled with B&Ws, Martin Logans, DTs, Personas etc. It doesn't look like I will actually be able to HEAR the speakers I can afford before buying. I think I've narrowed down to about 4 choices and wanted to see if you all had opinions on the sound qualities of each. Please understand that I will not be listening to music with these. This if for HT (movies) only. I LOVE sound effects, surround sound and distinct sound placement. I want to feel like I'm sitting in the middle of the scene, not in a seat at the orchestra.
  • Klipsch: Whenever I try these againse competition (say Martin Logan), the competitor sounds like it has a pillow stuffed into it after listening to the Klipsch. I do like the crisp sounds but as soooo many people say, I'm worried that ear fatigue will set in after a single movie. Don't most people shy away from Klipsch for this reason?
  • Elac Debut: Because some awesome dude left Pioneer and created the Debut line and it's in my price range. People say they love them. Are they bright? Are they full? What's so great about them?
  • Polk RTiA - I don't know why... they are in my price range and a lot of people love them. Are these as bright as Klipsch? Too bright for HT? What's watching a movie like with these
  • Polk Signature Series - I don't know why... they are in my price range and a lot of people seem to love them. I understand they aren't as bright as RTiA. Not as good for HT then? Do they sound muffeled like I felt the Martin Logans did?

Obviously everyone has their preference. But I'm looking to not only hear yours (...these will blow your mind) but WHY you like them. Tell me things like "these are kind of muffled for HT" or "these are nice and crisp but have no fullness" or "these are crisp and will make your ears blead after a single movie... get something smoother."

Please share you opinions. Did I miss any I should consider in my price range and if I did, why do you think I would like them? I'm just not going to be able to hear them for myself and hope to hear your experiences and preferences.

Room = dedicated basement theater - 15x27
Atmos 7.2.4 setup
Probably run off a Yamaha 3070 with an external amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-22-2017, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked: 849
im a klipsch fan...now which model im clueless as my klipsch speakers are old kg series and ksf synergy...if they seem too bright a -1 or 2 on treble fixes all that. no idea on new models but for the price, i would consider especially if on sale.

I like paradigm, psb, bw, revel also but usually they more expensive.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #3 of 26 Old 09-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 445
I vote for Polk RTiA, as you can get some really good deals on them right now brand new on Crutchfield and Polk's site, even better deals for refurbished on the Polk Direct eBay outlet. For example, you can get a pair of Polk RTi A5's for $400/pr or A7's for $500/pr on Polk's eBay site. Those are really capable tower speakers, and incredibly hard to beat at those prices.

They're bright, but not too bright. Not as bright as Klipsch, IMHO. They get the midrange right, and they're not hard to drive. Very good dynamics. Excellent for home theater, I ran Polk RTi speakers for a long time before I got my current Monitor Audio setup.
crazyrob425 and mr266 like this.

My humble system:

Sony X900e; Sony UBP-X800; Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD universal blu-ray player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case)

Last edited by sk373; 09-22-2017 at 08:30 PM.

post #4 of 26 Old 09-22-2017, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 955
For Elac I'd go with the Uni-Fi over the Debut, the Uni-Fi speakers are far superior to the Debut line.

Another option that fits in your price range right now is the JBL Studio 590. They're normally $999 each, but they're on sale for $475/each for the next two days, with free shipping and free returns (including return shipping).

Since you mention going with three towers for the front stage those would be a great choice, since the Studio 590 is much nicer than the Studio 520 center.
unretarded likes this.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #5 of 26 Old 09-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 550
One of the best speakers for purely HT which is your desire: JBL 230
$359 amazon for pair
I'm telling you really good for HT

THIS>>>>>>>>https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-23...ywords=jbl+230

If you are patient, JBL site will have them for 299.00 off and on

Receiver: Integra DTR 50.3 , 7.2 ch, 135 Watt
AMP: Outlaw 5000
Subs: (2) HSU VTF2 MK5
Speakers LRC: Chane's A2.4
Rears: Chane's A1.4 Surrounds: Phil AAs
Outdoor Speakers: Definitive Technology AW 6500
post #6 of 26 Old 09-22-2017, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2781
Of those 4 the ones I would completely rule out for 100% HT usage is the ELAC.

Between the Klipsch, Polk RTiA and Polk Sig I'd take whatever you can find at the lowest price.

Just make sure you have enough left over in your budget for a decent subwoofer, which will run you between $600 and $900 depending on the size of your room.

The JBL Studio 230 is a great choice at the current price.

But if you want the best bang for your buck with free return shipping just in case you don't like them, these are what I'd try first:
http://www.htd.com/Products/Speakers...three-speakers

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 26 Old 09-23-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnklight@comcast.net View Post
  • Klipsch: Whenever I try these againse competition (say Martin Logan), the competitor sounds like it has a pillow stuffed into it after listening to the Klipsch. I do like the crisp sounds but as soooo many people say, I'm worried that ear fatigue will set in after a single movie. Don't most people shy away from Klipsch for this reason?
  • Elac Debut: Because some awesome dude left Pioneer and created the Debut line and it's in my price range. People say they love them. Are they bright? Are they full? What's so great about them?
  • Polk RTiA - I don't know why... they are in my price range and a lot of people love them. Are these as bright as Klipsch? Too bright for HT? What's watching a movie like with these
  • Polk Signature Series - I don't know why... they are in my price range and a lot of people seem to love them. I understand they aren't as bright as RTiA. Not as good for HT then? Do they sound muffeled like I felt the Martin Logans did?

Atmos 7.2.4 setup
Klipsch is my go to for movie only systems in your price range. They are easy to drive so they work great with modest amps. I could watch movie after movie with them no problem but I did have a THX button on my AVR that rolled off the treble. They are great for some music but I could not stand them for more than 20-30 minutes with classical music. I did however watch a 1 1/2 hour long orchestra concert on a high end all Klipsch system last night with no problem but I did wish I had warmer speakers.

Forget ELAC debut for Movies only. I did love those speakers, I had the B5 (The best I think in the range) and I could listen to music all day long with them but I did find them a little too warm and loose. I used port plug with them as the owner needed them close to the wall for WAF.

Polk RTiA's I love these speakers but I have not spent that must time with them so I will not say much about them. Polk makes great speakers and the price is great top here in Canada. Plus they have great inwall/ceiling speakers for Atmos that will match the RTiA models.

Polk Signature Series are the new speakers on the block. I like the simple design (less crossovers). I do what to hear them but I would stay away until more people have heard them and can comment.

Good luck with your system and work at it slowly. Do not just go with 7 channels because you can but only if it works for your room. If you just have 1 or 2 people watching a movie 5.1.2 is all you need. AND as stated before buy a good sub(s), for your size get two but max out your budget now for one sub and get another one a year later. DO NOT get a sub from the brands above as you should be looking at plus $600 sub. SVS PB2000 is the first one that comes to mind.
post #8 of 26 Old 09-23-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In the $600 range I'd get this one:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

Or perhaps this one:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...ubs/lv12r.html
BufordTJustice likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #9 of 26 Old 09-24-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4324 Post(s)
Liked: 2784
Quote:
But I'm looking for a system built on fronts in the $300-$500 range (each).
[*]Klipsch:
[*]Elac Debut:
[*]Polk RTiA -
[*]Polk Signature Series -

Do they sound muffeled like I felt the Martin Logans did?

Atmos 7.2.4 setup
You are the first person on AVS to say Martin Logan's, (I assume their Motion series), sounds muffled.

Owning a pair of LX16s I can tell you that is hardly an on point statement at all; not even close.

Which essentially just makes the decision that much easier as it is clear that the Klipsch RP series is what you should look at as ALL the other speakers are not as detailed in presentation as Martin Logans and the Klipsch RP are a huge step above the "R" line that is their entry level speaker line.

Klipsch RPs have been very well received by the pro press and AVS members with only a handful saying they were too bright for their taste but IIRC that was for music.

Easy to power, easy to return at Best Buy if not happy.

RP160s are on sale at the moment for $440/pair and the RP250c center is on sale for $296 as well though curiously Best Buy only has the Cherry one at that price but as Crutchfield has the black on at that price Best Buy will price match.

So that works out to an average of just $245 per speaker, ($736), leaving you the option of stepping up to to the RP250 towers for left and right or, likely a better move, is more money for a better subwoofer.

You do not want to buy a Klipsch sub; consider one (or two) of these instead.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8
200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10
300watts =17w18h18d= 49 lbs 12" [22hz] $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12, (extension from Brent Butterworth measurement)
350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)
250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [22hz] $433 HSU VTF 1 MK3
200 watts =16w19h17d= 52 lbs 12" [22hz] $439 HTD LEVEL THREE
300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)
500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10" (coming soon)
300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R
350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $604 HSU VTF2 MK5, (verified by Audioholics review)
* = shipping weight

SEALED SUBWOOFERS $650 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

300watts =18w15h15d= 50 lbs 10" [27hz] $189 JBL STUDIO 550 (short term promo price Amazon)
300watts =13w14h16d= 27 lbs 12" [23hz] $499 SVS SB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision)
300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12
500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)
* = shipping weight

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 26 Old 09-25-2017, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
You are the first person on AVS to say Martin Logan's, (I assume their Motion series), sounds muffled.

Owning a pair of LX16s I can tell you that is hardly an on point statement at all; not even close.

Which essentially just makes the decision that much easier as it is clear that the Klipsch RP series is what you should look at as ALL the other speakers are not as detailed in presentation as Martin Logans and the Klipsch RP are a huge step above the "R" line that is their entry level speaker line.

Klipsch RPs have been very well received by the pro press and AVS members with only a handful saying they were too bright for their taste but IIRC that was for music.
You're right. I don't know what line the MLs were but the Klipsch I was comparing them to were the RP 280s. Based on the feedback I've received, it sounds like my ears will be most happy with the Klipsch RP series. I went ahead and bought the 150s while they were on sale and plan to use them as rear surrounds. I have a couple of months before the theater is finished so I can wait and see what else from that line goes on sale.

Thank you for all the data on the subs!! Would you say that any of those subs would do a pretty decent job with the Klipsch RP 250 towers? I have also heard that the Monoprice 12-Inch 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer is amazing but I just can't wrap my head around a sub that's 100 bucks. The Magnolia guru said that he got one and it sounds almost as good as his SVS sub. Is that even possible? ( https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2)
post #11 of 26 Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're right. I don't know what line the MLs were but the Klipsch I was comparing them to were the RP 280s. Based on the feedback I've received, it sounds like my ears will be most happy with the Klipsch RP series. I went ahead and bought the 150s while they were on sale and plan to use them as rear surrounds. I have a couple of months before the theater is finished so I can wait and see what else from that line goes on sale.

Thank you for all the data on the subs!! Would you say that any of those subs would do a pretty decent job with the Klipsch RP 250 towers? I have also heard that the Monoprice 12-Inch 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer is amazing but I just can't wrap my head around a sub that's 100 bucks. The Magnolia guru said that he got one and it sounds almost as good as his SVS sub. Is that even possible? ( https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2)
Ha ha, no.

Even the BasX S8 and the JBL I listed which are both under $200 will eat that thing for lunch.

Here is the frequency response of the Monoprice; basically a boom box.

Ideally you would want something that at least gets down to 23HZ with flat response for Home Theater; 28hz on a budget is fine though.

And 28hz is perfectly fine for a music sub.

BufordTJustice and Zorba922 like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #12 of 26 Old 09-25-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Ha ha, no.

Even the BasX S8 and the JBL I listed which are both under $200 will eat that thing for lunch.

Here is the frequency response of the Monoprice; basically a boom box.

Ideally you would want something that at least gets down to 23HZ with flat response for Home Theater; 28hz on a budget is fine though.

And 28hz is perfectly fine for a music sub.

I have the Monoprice 12". Snagged it shipped, new in box, for $138 with a coupon code.

For it to be optimized, the 12" needs outboard EQ. With EQ, it's strong into the lower 30's.

Geoff, do you remember if that graph is the 8", 10", or 12"? Regardless, I doubt they're that different.

The value is strong. And line HSU subs, you basically can't break them as they don't have enough current delivery from the amp to bottom the driver above port tuning and below that it seems some protective EQ is employed.

It isn't worthy of carrying the power cord of my old HSU VTF-15h, but it's the best $138 sub one can get right now.

I think the Emo subs are indeed worth the moderate price premium.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Arcam AVR300, Adcom GFA-5500 (Main L+R), Acurus by Mondial A200x3 for center and surrounds, Panny BDT-500 Media Transport, Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Darbee DVP-5000S, Center and L+R is pending, pending subwoofer.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-25-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
I have the Monoprice 12". Snagged it shipped, new in box, for $138 with a coupon code.

For it to be optimized, the 12" needs outboard EQ. With EQ, it's strong into the lower 30's.

Geoff, do you remember if that graph is the 8", 10", or 12"? Regardless, I doubt they're that different.

The value is strong. And line HSU subs, you basically can't break them as they don't have enough current delivery from the amp to bottom the driver above port tuning and below that it seems some protective EQ is employed.

It isn't worthy of carrying the power cord of my old HSU VTF-15h, but it's the best $138 sub one can get right now.

I think the Emo subs are indeed worth the moderate price premium.

Yes, that's the 12".

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 26 Old 09-25-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Magnolia guru said that he got one and it sounds almost as good as his SVS sub. Is that even possible? ( https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2)
LOL, use BB/Magnolia as a listening room (a crappy listening room, in most cases), but don't trust *any* salesperson working at Best Buy or BB Magnolia. These are the same cretins who'll sell you as many snake-oil Monster Cables and power conditioners as your credit card will allow while swearing up and down that they make all the difference in the world.

You have about the same odds of finding a "guru" or "expert" at BB/Magnolia as you have of finding a virgin in a brothel.

post #15 of 26 Old 09-25-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, that's the 12".
I also found a complimentary graph here that includes port output. Driver in green, port in blue.

Arcam AVR300, Adcom GFA-5500 (Main L+R), Acurus by Mondial A200x3 for center and surrounds, Panny BDT-500 Media Transport, Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Darbee DVP-5000S, Center and L+R is pending, pending subwoofer.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 09-25-2017 at 01:55 PM.
post #16 of 26 Old 09-25-2017, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8
200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10
300watts =17w18h18d= 49 lbs 12" [22hz] $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12, (extension from Brent Butterworth measurement)
350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)
250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [22hz] $433 HSU VTF 1 MK3
200 watts =16w19h17d= 52 lbs 12" [22hz] $439 HTD LEVEL THREE
300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)
500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10" (coming soon)
300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R
350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $604 HSU VTF2 MK5, (verified by Audioholics review)
* = shipping weight

SEALED SUBWOOFERS $650 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

300watts =18w15h15d= 50 lbs 10" [27hz] $189 JBL STUDIO 550 (short term promo price Amazon)
300watts =13w14h16d= 27 lbs 12" [23hz] $499 SVS SB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision)
300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12
500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)
* = shipping weight
I wish I understood Subs better. I understand that lower Hz is better and now I at least have a baseline with you saying that I need to get to 28 min and 23 prefered as an ENTRY level HT enthusiast. But I have no idea what the other poster was talking about with regards to damaging or protecting the sub.

I also don't understand the pros and cons of ports. Do I want sealed or do I want ports?

But I'm absolutly sure that this is all discussed over in another forum so I need to do my due dilligence and research subwoofers elswhere on this site. Hope there's something at the subwoffer 101 level.

Thanks again all!!!!
post #17 of 26 Old 09-26-2017, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I also don't understand the pros and cons of ports. Do I want sealed or do I want ports?
Ported subs generally offer much more output for the buck. If HT is your main usage, you have a not-small room, and budget is finite, they are the obvious choice.

Sealed subs are generally better suited for smaller rooms, nearfield placement, and music usage. For HT use I would consider a sealed sub only if I had a super generous budget, and/or if I was under extreme WAF pressure.

post #18 of 26 Old 09-26-2017, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
There's no doubt in my mind that you can't tell if you like a speaker by reading it's specs. You need to listen to it. But I'm looking for a system built on fronts in the $300-$500 range (each). I can't find any HT stores in my area that fill their soundrooms with speakers of this price category. They are alaways filled with B&Ws, Martin Logans, DTs, Personas etc. It doesn't look like I will actually be able to HEAR the speakers I can afford before buying. I think I've narrowed down to about 4 choices and wanted to see if you all had opinions on the sound qualities of each. Please understand that I will not be listening to music with these. This if for HT (movies) only. I LOVE sound effects, surround sound and distinct sound placement. I want to feel like I'm sitting in the middle of the scene, not in a seat at the orchestra.

Obviously everyone has their preference. But I'm looking to not only hear yours (...these will blow your mind) but WHY you like them. Tell me things like "these are kind of muffled for HT" or "these are nice and crisp but have no fullness" or "these are crisp and will make your ears blead after a single movie... get something smoother."

Please share you opinions. Did I miss any I should consider in my price range and if I did, why do you think I would like them? I'm just not going to be able to hear them for myself and hope to hear your experiences and preferences.

Atmos 7.2.4 setup
I bought the Klipsch THX series 2.1 speakers for my PC. The best buy I have ever made.
post #19 of 26 Old 09-26-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McLendon View Post
I bought the Klipsch THX series 2.1 speakers for my PC. The best buy I have ever made.
I like these speakers better than my Sony surround sound 7.1 system and Bose system.
post #20 of 26 Old 09-26-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McLendon View Post
I like these speakers better than my Sony surround sound 7.1 system and Bose system.
Also, I meant to mention that I have added ASUS STX sound card and am getting the best sound I've ever had. And from a PC!
post #21 of 26 Old 09-26-2017, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Ported subs generally offer much more output for the buck. If HT is your main usage, you have a not-small room, and budget is finite, they are the obvious choice.

Sealed subs are generally better suited for smaller rooms, nearfield placement, and music usage. For HT use I would consider a sealed sub only if I had a super generous budget, and/or if I was under extreme WAF pressure.
Exactly.

And, in order to contextualize a "small" room in terms of GajCA's subs he listed, a small room for a sub in that category would literally be a small bedroom.... Something in the 10'x10' to 12'x12' range. A sealed sub of 12" or less is going to need multiple subs in any room larger than that for HT use. Music use is less demanding of low bass and one could get away with half as many subs as one would need for HT if room size holds.

gajCA likes this.

post #22 of 26 Old 09-26-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Jknight, i think this is your simple list (both are on GajCA's list, i believe).

Can you give room dimensions for your room again?

post #23 of 26 Old 09-26-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There are some excellent sealed sub for HT, (I have one), but they generally have 15" or larger drivers, massive 1000+ watt amps and cost a fortune.

So for "budget" HT a ported sub is generally the best way to go.

HSU and Rhythmik ported subs have the advantage of several different tuning options to get them to sound their best in different room scenarios.

Geoff A. J., California
post #24 of 26 Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wish I understood Subs better. I understand that lower Hz is better and now I at least have a baseline with you saying that I need to get to 28 min and 23 prefered as an ENTRY level HT enthusiast. But I have no idea what the other poster was talking about with regards to damaging or protecting the sub.

But I'm absolutly sure that this is all discussed over in another forum so I need to do my due dilligence and research subwoofers elswhere on this site. Hope there's something at the subwoffer 101 level.

Thanks again all!!!!
Very difficult to "damage" a sub IMHO as they have their own built in amps and protections.

Plus if you overdrive a sub it just sounds bad, (though it likely won't fail).

The larger the amp the louder it will play and the larger the main driver generally the lower it should play.

I have two 100 watt peak 8" subs in my secondary room that together I paid less than $200 for and they sound fine so even a sub that plays down to that level can satisfy especially if prior sub experience was a HTIB.

Geoff A. J., California
post #25 of 26 Old 09-26-2017, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Jknight, i think this is your simple list (both are on GajCA's list, i believe).

Can you give room dimensions for your room again?

Dedicated HT - 15 x 27 x 9 foot ceilings
No windows
No open sides

Basement that will have nice carpet, sound insulation in all walls, and sound pannels, base traps.
post #26 of 26 Old 09-27-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dedicated HT - 15 x 27 x 9 foot ceilings
No windows
No open sides

Basement that will have nice carpet, sound insulation in all walls, and sound pannels, base traps.
Well, you may need to up your sub budget. I would grab at least one of the HSU VTF 2 mk5 or Rhythmik lv12 subs and see how hard it's working.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page