PSA? JTR? $3k-$7k on LCR? Pics inside. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By irishluck73
  • 1 Post By ScottieBoysName
  • 1 Post By Tom Vodhanel

post #1 of 11 Old 09-23-2017, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
PSA? JTR? $3k-$7k on LCR? Pics inside.

Hello all! I'm building a new home (you might have caught a few of my other threads) and have attached some pictures of what my media room will look like. While I won't have any of that furniture or equipment, the room will be identical. 18 feet long, 13 feet wide, and 10 feet at the highest point of the ceiling.

I originally was planning on tossing an MTM-210T in each corner of the front of the room, a 210C in the middle and calling it a day. I'd like to revisit that, however, since I've been digging around in the JTR sub thread.

In my setup, I THINK sealed towers will work best (or perhaps a sealed bookshelf), and it would be best to avoid ported bookshelf or towers? Any thoughts on that?

I'd place the LR, either on the sides of the room in the corners in front of the "cut-out" where the display resides (you can see there are wall plates there for speaker plates already, that's where the LR would go), OR, I could put the LR inside that "cut-out" on either side of the display. I'm not sure how that would sound though? I've always heard it best that you don't want to place speakers in an enclosed area...but would that really be enclosed? It's pretty large.

I will not be running a projector, and there will be a 65 inch direct view display in that "cut-out".

I am also replacing the rear twin doors with a single 36 inch solid core door, that I'll seal up.

At any rate, I'm also considering looking at JTR loudspeakers. What would compare to the MTM-210s from PSA, in the JTR line-up?

The 228HT? 212HT? 210RM? 210RTM? 212T?

Maybe a 210RTM on LR duty, with a 210RM for a center? That would be almost twice the price of the PSA MTM setup, and the towers would be ported. Would that be a problem? I mean, I'm going to have the LCR dang near right up next to the wall. I've always heard this is a problem with ported speakers.

Even the 228HT...it's ported. Would that be an in issue in either location where I want to put them?

Perhaps if I HAVE to go sealed, and want to stick with JTR...I do a trio of 210RMs since they're sealed?

Any suggestions and thoughts are appreciated. Any other brands are also welcome as well. This will be for 95% movies and games, VERY VERY little music if at all.

I will be running dual subs, either dual Cap 1400s possibly, or dual Cap 2400ULFs. Probably somehow have those up front firing at the MLP? Maybe have the LR where the wall plates are on the outside of the "cut-out", and then have the subs on either side of the display.

Or perhaps the other way around, and have the LR on the sides of the display in the "cut-out" and have the subs where the wall plates are?

Fire away with comments and suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Media Room One.jpg (132.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Media Room Two.jpg (134.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Media Room Three.jpg (145.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Media Room Four.jpg (167.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Media Room Five.jpg (126.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Media Room Six.jpg (177.1 KB, 81 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-23-2017, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm. Doing a little research on my own again, googling some random phrases and seeing what pops up. It appears that there is a difference between using ported speakers in a small room close to the wall, and “front-ported” speakers in a small room close to the wall. So for my application either sealed or front ported will work? The JTRs such as the 228HT and 212HT...those are front ported, correct? What about the 210RT, and 212T? Front ported is simply exactly as stated, ports on the front firing out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 11 Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Hmmmm. Doing a little research on my own again, googling some random phrases and seeing what pops up. It appears that there is a difference between using ported speakers in a small room close to the wall, and “front-ported” speakers in a small room close to the wall. So for my application either sealed or front ported will work? The JTRs such as the 228HT and 212HT...those are front ported, correct? What about the 210RT, and 212T? Front ported is simply exactly as stated, ports on the front firing out?

Cant help you with the jtr speakers but i have the psa speakers your looking at and they are very good sounding lcr setup.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

I’ve hear very good things about the PSA MTM 210T setup, lots of good stuff actually. I want to explore all my options as well , though.

post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 1199
I'd stick with the trio of PSA 210T for $3K, which are excellent speakers, and put that savings toward beefier subs (if you're a basshead), such as the cap 14/2400 or possibly even some potent sealed sealed subs. Your room is on the small-medium side at 2,340ft^3, and would do very well with a pair of powerful sealed subs.

Check out the Captivator S1/S2 and the PSA S3000i/S3601. I think any combination of the aforementioned subs would be quite impressive in this room.

Speakers: PSA (MT-110 x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2); SVS Satellite x4
Subs: PSA V1801 x2 & V1800 x2, B1200D x2
Actuators: Crowson Tech Shadow-8 x2
Processing/EQ: Denon X4200, MiniDSP HD x2, NU6000DSP
post #6 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

PSA? JTR? $3k-$7k on LCR? Pics inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
I'd stick with the trio of PSA 210T for $3K, which are excellent speakers, and put that savings toward beefier subs (if you're a basshead), such as the cap 14/2400 or possibly even some potent sealed sealed subs. Your room is on the small-medium side at 2,340ft^3, and would do very well with a pair of powerful sealed subs.

Check out the Captivator S1/S2 and the PSA S3000i/S3601. I think any combination of the aforementioned subs would be quite impressive in this room.

Gotcha. Thanks! Regardless of what I choose for the LCR, it will not impact my sub budget. Up there I note I’m already going with dual 1400s or 2400s. I’ve considered dual S2s.

So, I am on board with tossing the 210Ts in there and calling it a day, but I keep wandering over to the JTR speakers and I’m curious what that would look/sound/feel like.

Just for comparisons sake, how would a 210T compare to a 228HT? I think it’s probably worth mentioning too, that I’m going to be powering the LCR with an external amp of some sort, to be determined later.

Last edited by ScottieBoysName; 09-24-2017 at 05:15 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 59
A couple things off the top of my head when comparing the 2 different towers, JTR 210RT VS PSA MTM-210T.

JTR is a 3 way speaker. PSA is a 2 way speaker.

JTR can be played lower and without a subwoofer for music. PSA will definitely need a sub, I believe.

JTR will custom veneer them anyway you want if basic black isn't your thing. PSA only has the standard black.

I like the fact that JTR sends their products for independent 3rd party testing.

I've read really positive things about the PSA towers and they sound like a great option for many.

However, I've chosen JTR due to their capabilities, independent testing, and having them veneered for our living room.
shivaji likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
A couple things off the top of my head when comparing the 2 different towers, JTR 210RT VS PSA MTM-210T.

JTR is a 3 way speaker. PSA is a 2 way speaker.

JTR can be played lower and without a subwoofer for music. PSA will definitely need a sub, I believe.

JTR will custom veneer them anyway you want if basic black isn't your thing. PSA only has the standard black.

I like the fact that JTR sends their products for independent 3rd party testing.

I've read really positive things about the PSA towers and they sound like a great option for many.

However, I've chosen JTR due to their capabilities, independent testing, and having them veneered for our living room.

Good info. I appreciate it. It seems some of the JTRs are 2-way and some are 3-way. Take the 228HTs for instance, they are 2-way like the 210Ts. They compare price wise, but maybe not sonically?

The finish on any speaker isn’t a concern for me. I highly doubt the wife will ever walk into this room. LOL.

I’m a function over form kinda guy.

irishluck73 likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Any additional comments?

post #10 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 6058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Any additional comments?

Not sure if you have seen this GTG thread yet. Its the only session I know of that made some attempt at level matching and bias controls with both jtr and psa stuff on hand.

Wartooth Home Theater Build

Also, per the "independent verification" comment our speakers have been extensively measured by a third party. With an unparalleled amount of objective data and analysis included..

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

Also, I must get this question 10x a day since the last website update. The speaker pricing on our site is based on single unit pricing. There are bundle discounts. Please pop into chat or email me with any questions.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Mike Butny likes this.

“Quality isn't expensive, it is priceless" --- fortune cookie
post #11 of 11 Old 09-27-2017, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Not sure if you have seen this GTG thread yet. Its the only session I know of that made some attempt at level matching and bias controls with both jtr and psa stuff on hand.

Wartooth Home Theater Build

Also, per the "independent verification" comment our speakers have been extensively measured by a third party. With an unparalleled amount of objective data and analysis included..

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

Also, I must get this question 10x a day since the last website update. The speaker pricing on our site is based on single unit pricing. There are bundle discounts. Please pop into chat or email me with any questions.

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Hi Tom! Thanks for replying. Shot you a PM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page