Using three RBH R56ci center channel speakers as LCR. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Truitt19

post #1 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Using three RBH R56ci center channel speakers as LCR.

Completely new to home theater, but I am upgrading from an htib system. With that said, I am seriously debating grabbing 3 RBH R56ci speakers to use as my front setup ($600 total - brand new). I will be using this in an open concept 1500-2000 sq ft room. Each side of the main listening area is open. The receiver is a Denon X4300H. 80% HT, 15% gaming, 5% music.

1. Is there any drawback to using 3 centers as Lee's?

2. Would I be better off using 2 R5bi bookshelf speakers for LR instead?

3. I will be getting a subwoofer for my setup but am still undecided. I can get an RBH S12 for $350. Is this a good deal/worth it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truitt19 View Post
Completely new to home theater, but I am upgrading from an htib system. With that said, I am seriously debating grabbing 3 RBH R56ci speakers to use as my front setup ($600 total - brand new). I will be using this in an open concept 1500-2000 sq ft room. Each side of the main listening area is open. The receiver is a Denon X4300H. 80% HT, 15% gaming, 5% music.

3. I will be getting a subwoofer for my setup but am still undecided. I can get an RBH S12 for $350. Is this a good deal/worth it?
1. Good question. You'd need an awfully long TV cabinet though, wouldn't you?

2. Yes, if you already have the R5Bi or can buy them used for cheap...if only for the space advantage.

3. No. The RBH I-12 is a decent sub, the S12 for $350 is not great. You'd be better off going with an Emotiva S12 for $400 instead.

With a $950 total budget and only 5% music usage though, I'd go this route instead:

a. Hsu VTF-2 sub, $600 shipped
b. 1 pair of Sony Core bookshelf speakers, $120 shipped from Amazon
c. 1 BIC PL-28 center speaker, $220 shipped from Amazon

If you can find an extra $200 to go up to the VTF-3 sub, even better---open plan spaces are black holes for bass. I know because I used to live in one, it even had 18 ft cathedral ceilings. If I had stayed there I'd probably end up getting 2 of the VTF-3s and even that might not suffice.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
1. Good question. You'd need an awfully long TV cabinet though, wouldn't you?

2. Yes, if you already have the R5Bi or can buy them used for cheap...if only for the space advantage.

3. No. The RBH I-12 is a decent sub, the S12 for $350 is not great. You'd be better off going with an Emotiva S12 for $400 instead.

With a $950 total budget and only 5% music usage though, I'd go this route instead:

a. Hsu VTF-2 sub, $600 shipped
b. 1 pair of Sony Core bookshelf speakers, $120 shipped from Amazon
c. 1 BIC PL-28 center speaker, $220 shipped from Amazon

If you can find an extra $200 to go up to the VTF-3 sub, even better---open plan spaces are black holes for bass. I know because I used to live in one, it even had 18 ft cathedral ceilings. If I had stayed there I'd probably end up getting 2 of the VTF-3s and even that might not suffice.
Ha, a long cabinet indeed... for this setup, I would be using the Left and Right R65CIs vertically. I can get the R5BIs for $125/pr. I'll see what I can scrounge up for a better sub. Thank for the quick reply.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked: 2784
Quote:

Thanks.
That center has an elevated tweeter and is a three way design with 6.5" main drivers so it could work just fine.

But for $618 delivered you could get a HSU HC1 center with a pair of HCU HB1s for left and right.

If you got the HSU Hypbrid 2 package you'd be getting their excellent VTF2 MK5 that plays down to 18hz and is suitable for large rooms for just an additional $559 instead of the normal price for that sub of $604.
Zorba922 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Ha, a long cabinet indeed... for this setup, I would be using the Left and Right R65CIs vertically.
Does RBH recommend that?

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #6 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Does RBH recommend that?
Yes, this was suggested to me by an RBH rep.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, this was suggested to me by an RBH rep.
Interesting. Did they recommend rotating the tweeter?

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #8 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Interesting. Did they recommend rotating the tweeter?
He did not. Is that as straightforward as it sounds? And what is the benefit?
post #9 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure. Not all are meant to be easily rotated. Even those that are can still be tricky if the surround fits too tight and some just pull the closest driver to it and get at it that way. If they didn't mention it then it's probably not a big deal. You might call them back and run it buy them. Can't hurt to ask. I have some Emp speakers as well. Very nice.

post #10 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ha, a long cabinet indeed... for this setup, I would be using the Left and Right R65CIs vertically. I can get the R5BIs for $125/pr. I'll see what I can scrounge up for a better sub. Thank for the quick reply.
I'd get the R5Bi and a solid sub in that case, like the VTF-2 or better. I've seriously considered the R56Ci as a center myself, if only they still had some in black left in stock.

Not sure how the R56Ci would sound standing up though...seems like the tweeter might be a bit below ear level, wouldn't it?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the tweeter would be low, and this is something the rep brought to my attention. He suggested elevating so that the tweeter was at ear level for optimal performance. How to do this is another variable I am actively trying to find a solution for.

As far as the R5bi's are concerned, my hesitation is they would not compare to the overall sound produced by the 56ci's. I like the idea of towers but they are pricey. This was a cheaper alternative to actual towers. Thanks for the inputs. I am definitely looking into the better sub now. Finding the best way to distribute my available funds is the deciding factor in this, unfortunately.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, the tweeter would be low, and this is something the rep brought to my attention. He suggested elevating so that the tweeter was at ear level for optimal performance. How to do this is another variable I am actively trying to find a solution for.

As far as the R5bi's are concerned, my hesitation is they would not compare to the overall sound produced by the 56ci's. I like the idea of towers but they are pricey. This was a cheaper alternative to actual towers. Thanks for the inputs. I am definitely looking into the better sub now. Finding the best way to distribute my available funds is the deciding factor in this, unfortunately.
Well, for HT use I think it actually makes more sense to have your center be huge while your L/R can be a lot smaller, since 70-80% of the sound is coming out of the center anyhow...the L/R is mainly doing theme music and occasional front panning effects. Your receiver will level match everything anyway, so I doubt one would actually overpower the other.

Hell, if you're not sitting too far away from the screen (say, under 12ft) then you might even be ok with 3 x R5Bi if you can find them.

post #13 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Great point. I am sitting close so that makes the decision fairly easy now. Luckily I live in the same town as the RBH headquarters... I will see what I can do about the 3rd R5.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
The tweeter is a regular dome with no unique waveguide -- there is no need to rotate it

Speakers -- Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #15 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The tweeter is a regular dome with no unique waveguide -- there is no need to rotate it
It is offset a bit, but that could lead to some fun playing around with orienting them towards the outside or inside to see what delivers the best sound. If they're set up vertically with the tweeters on the outside you're going to bring reflected sound from the side walls more into play, while you'll probably have less room interaction with them set up with the tweeters on the inside. You'd probably get a wider sound stage with the first setup, and more focus in the second, I'm not sure which would end up being better, may depend on the room.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #16 of 16 Old 09-26-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
It is offset a bit, but that could lead to some fun playing around with orienting them towards the outside or inside to see what delivers the best sound. If they're set up vertically with the tweeters on the outside you're going to bring reflected sound from the side walls more into play, while you'll probably have less room interaction with them set up with the tweeters on the inside. You'd probably get a wider sound stage with the first setup, and more focus in the second, I'm not sure which would end up being better, may depend on the room.
Yes, there can be some differences vertical with the tweeters set in or out -- however, I was mainly talking about some people stating that you may need to unscrew the tweeter and rotate it 90 degrees -- however with a regular dome that is not an issue. When I use speakers with offset tweeters, I tend to prefer them facing in, it will be subjective for some people.

Speakers -- Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
r56ci , rbh

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page