Originally Posted by Truitt19
Completely new to home theater, but I am upgrading from an htib system. With that said, I am seriously debating grabbing 3 RBH R56ci speakers to use as my front setup ($600 total - brand new). I will be using this in an open concept 1500-2000 sq ft room. Each side of the main listening area is open. The receiver is a Denon X4300H. 80% HT, 15% gaming, 5% music.
1. Is there any drawback to using 3 centers as Lee's?
2. Would I be better off using 2 R5bi bookshelf speakers for LR instead?
3. I will be getting a subwoofer for my setup but am still undecided. I can get an RBH S12 for $350. Is this a good deal/worth it?
1. Good question. You'd need an awfully long TV cabinet though, wouldn't you?
2. Yes, if you already have the R5Bi or can buy them used for cheap...if only for the space advantage.
3. No. The RBH I-12 is a decent sub, the S12 for $350 is not great. You'd be better off going with an Emotiva S12 for $400 instead.
With a $950 total budget and only 5% music usage though, I'd go this route instead:
a. Hsu VTF-2 sub, $600 shipped
b. 1 pair of Sony Core bookshelf speakers, $120 shipped from Amazon
c. 1 BIC PL-28 center speaker, $220 shipped from Amazon
If you can find an extra $200 to go up to the VTF-3 sub, even better---open plan spaces are black holes for bass. I know because I used to live in one, it even had 18 ft cathedral ceilings. If I had stayed there I'd probably end up getting 2 of the VTF-3s and even that might not suffice.