Budget Sonos Play 1 alternatives - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Budget Sonos Play 1 alternatives

I like the Play 1 but can't justify spending $200 on a kitchen speaker. What budget options are there these days that are also AC-only and support WiFi? If this is too much to ask, Bluetooth and batteries would be fine as long as the unit is still usable once the battery life is over. Many reviews complain about exactly that.

Below is my current shortlist. Please comment or suggest alternatives. Much appreciated in advance.

1. DOSS Touch
2. Hussar MBOX
3. Anker 20W
4. OontZ Angle 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Klipsch Groove or perhaps a Klipsch KMC 1.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

The Groove is quite poor. The KMC 1 is great but costs basically the same as the Play 1.

Further search led me to the NOVASAT and the ZEALOT S12/S15 speakers. As with any battery-powered speakers, I'm concerned that one day they stop charging and would be as good as paperweights. Could the good people of the forum please shed light on the options mentioned and perhaps offer something of real worth?

post #4 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Maybe an UE Boom 2? Around $140 currently depending on color. I've seen them down to $100 when on sale.

I have the 1st version and it seems decent to me.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you shop around you can probably find a used Play:1 for $150 or so, which is around the same price as better bluetooth speakers. That said there's nothing stopping you from leaving a battery powered speaker plugged in full time.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
there's nothing stopping you from leaving a battery powered speaker plugged in full time
This is exactly what I'm trying to establish. Does AC flow directly to the unit bypassing the battery once the latter is dead? Many reviews on different speakers say that you can't charge once the battery is dead making the device useless, and it doesn't matter if you keep it plugged in.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-01-2017, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Further research starts changing my mind towards actually buying the Play 1. Is it worth $200 though? Are there better wireless speakers at this price point?
post #8 of 15 Old 10-01-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by imusorka View Post
Further research starts changing my mind towards actually buying the Play 1. Is it worth $200 though? Are there better wireless speakers at this price point?
Life is short, I would spend an extra C-note and get a pair of these:
https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf...-speakers.html

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #9 of 15 Old 10-01-2017, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I would spend an extra C-note and get a pair of these
Aren't these overkill for the kitchen? Also, for what they cost, I'd consider Bluetooth 4.2 and aptX HD a must. Do you own these? Do they suffer from connection issues that plague so many other Bluetooth speakers?

Update: it seems that the BT3s have been discontinued and replaced by new 3000 series, none of which are wireless.

Why no love for the Play 1? Is it too mainstream?

Last edited by imusorka; 10-01-2017 at 01:25 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-01-2017, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Aren't these overkill for the kitchen? Also, for what they cost, I'd consider Bluetooth 4.2 and aptX HD a must. Do you own these? Do they suffer from connection issues that plague so many other Bluetooth speakers?

Update: it seems that the BT3s have been discontinued and replaced by new 3000 series, none of which are wireless.

Why no love for the Play 1? Is it too mainstream?
Generally, having a stereo pair beats the bejesus out of a one piece speaker even if it claims to be a "stereo" single.

But if BT4.2 and aptX are your top priorities not sound quality and if there aren't any standalone devices that could be used with a stereo pair (I haven't researched that), then Play 1 it is.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 15 Old 10-01-2017, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I just love the convenience of wireless connectivity but it seems that it's still early days for speakers that pair this with good SQ. By the way, it wouldn't matter what Bluetooth version or aptX type a set of speakers has if WiFi is supported. WiFi always trumps Bluetooth (save for energy efficiency).

As for the Q Acoustics speakers, it kind of defeats the purpose when an inferior type of aptX is supported in speakers that are capable of good SQ. You would never hear the potential. I wonder if there are better options by other makers. If someone knows, please share!
post #12 of 15 Old 10-03-2017, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Would love to see more opinions on the subject.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-03-2017, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would love to see more opinions on the subject.
I suspect you are not getting much input because you're seeking a product that does not (yet) exist.

Personally I would just use a good old fashioned wired connection, and enjoy decent sound quality on the cheap.

Gadget gimmicks with lousy/mediocre sound quality is not a compromise I'd ever want to accept. YMMV of course.

post #14 of 15 Old 10-05-2017, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buy the new Sonos One!
post #15 of 15 Old 10-06-2017, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Gadget gimmicks with lousy/mediocre sound quality is not a compromise I'd ever want to accept.
Wireless no longer equals poor sound quality. Even Dynaudio dove into the market just days ago. You can't beat the convenience. I wouldn't class such speakers as just gimmicky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page