Polk Audio Signature or Klipsch Reference - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Polk Audio Signature or Klipsch Reference

Hi guys,

Need help in deciding which speakers to go with. This would be for open floor living room with 20 ft high ceilings. I am not expecting a home theater sound. Primary use would be watching TV, Sports and movies.

I have the option of buying the Polk Audio signature line (S35, S55s, S10s).

For about roughly the same cost, I can get Klipsch RC62, RF82s when they go on sale. I can wait on the surrounds, as I don't have to have them right away.

Which is a better buy? Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Have you heard Klipsch before? They can be a bit bright for some people, except for the RP line.

If you haven't heard either before, personally I'd err on the side of caution and go with the Polks... but that is just me. If you like bright speakers you may prefer the Klipsch. Not that the Polk is warm either, It should lean a bit bright too, just not ear bleed levels of bright.

If you go with the Polks and can fit it, the S30 may be the better option over the S35, by the way.

What price can you get the Polks at? If your budget can support it, Klipsch RPs are the ones to look at if you want to go the Klipsch route.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Have you heard Klipsch before? They can be a bit bright for some people, except for the RP line.

If you haven't heard either before, personally I'd err on the side of caution and go with the Polks... but that is just me. If you like bright speakers you may prefer the Klipsch. Not that the Polk is warm either, It should lean a bit bright too, just not ear bleed levels of bright.

If you go with the Polks and can fit it, the S30 may be the better option over the S35, by the way.

What price can you get the Polks at? If your budget can support it, Klipsch RPs are the ones to look at if you want to go the Klipsch route.

I was able to get them for around $650 including shipping.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelss View Post
I was able to get them for around $650 including shipping.
Can you substitute the S30 or a different center in for that package, or do you need to buy it as a bundle as-is? Nice price, but unless you have space limitations for your center, not sure if the S35 is the best choice there.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you substitute the S30 or a different center in for that package, or do you need to buy it as a bundle as-is? Nice price, but unless you have space limitations for your center, not sure if the S35 is the best choice there.
Just curious, why the s30 over s35 recommendation? It appears s35 is the more popular center.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just curious, why the s30 over s35 recommendation? It appears s35 is the more popular center.
S30 has larger drivers w/ more bass. S35 has 3" drivers... albeit a lot of them, but tonality won't be entirely realistic. You'll need to use at least a 100 crossover, maybe 110-120.

And you may be fine with that. Just that the S35 is geared more towards those with space limitations for their center. And also why they can charge a higher price for it... more of a niche, not a lot of small speaker options that size that are decent.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
S30 has larger drivers w/ more bass. S35 has 3" drivers... albeit a lot of them, but tonality won't be entirely realistic. You'll need to use at least a 100 crossover, maybe 110-120.

And you may be fine with that. Just that the S35 is geared more towards those with space limitations for their center. And also why they can charge a higher price for it... more of a niche, not a lot of small speaker options that size that are decent.
Thank you. Funny I had asked them to change the package to include S35 instead of S30. I'll see if they can revert. The price will drop by another $70.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. Funny I had asked them to change the package to include S35 instead of S30. I'll see if they can revert. The price will drop by another $70.
Take a look over at the Polk signature thread here, as they'll know more about them than I will.

Maybe there is a better Polk center completely outside the signature line that still matches timbre.

Do you already have a sub + avr?
post #9 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1555
Quote:
The S35 was well reviewed by sound and vision. I doubt it's a compromise over the S30.

I use a 120hz crossover and it sounds great, no issues at all.

As for the RF series, most of the complaints come from music listening, where with certain genres and recordings they can be bright at higher volumes.

For TV and HT the extra top end makes them great for that content. Especially TV where most of the audio is pretty low resolution.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #10 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Take a look over at the Polk signature thread here, as they'll know more about them than I will.

Maybe there is a better Polk center completely outside the signature line that still matches timbre.

Do you already have a sub + avr?
I have a pioneer 1123K from a little while ago. No sub at the moment.

FYI: I have a dedicated home theater in the basement (CSIA6, 2 x RTI8s, 4 x RTI4s, 2 x PSW125). So this would mostly be for everyday use.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
The S35 was well reviewed by sound and vision. I doubt it's a compromise over the S30.

I use a 120hz crossover and it sounds great, no issues at all.
Although he currently doesn't have a sub. A center at 120 w/ no sub may have some problems.

Even with a sub, 120 is a tad high... may be okay if the sub is located in a decent spot, but may be weird if the sub is in the corner of the room.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1555
Quote:
Although he currently doesn't have a sub. A center at 120 w/ no sub may have some problems.

Even with a sub, 120 is a tad high... may be okay if the sub is located in a decent spot, but may be weird if the sub is in the corner of the room.
Didn't realize there was no sub.

I was using 120hz with only one sub, in a corner, and it worked quite well. Rarely noticed any localization. Once I added the second sub though, it really smoothed things out.

Never hurts to try though, it's free after all.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #13 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3855 Post(s)
Liked: 2759
Quote:
Need help in deciding which speakers to go with. This would be for open floor living room with 20 ft high ceilings. I am not expecting a home theater sound. Primary use would be watching TV, Sports and movies.

For about roughly the same cost, I can get Klipsch RC62, RF82s when they go on sale. I can wait on the surrounds, as I don't have to have them right away.

Of those 2, and with your usage, I'd go for the Polks. But what is the total cost of the Polk system? There might be better options in the same price range.

Are you planning on getting a sub as well? If you do, then it'd be easier to go for bookshelves instead of towers to save a nice chunk of change.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #14 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Of those 2, and with your usage, I'd go for the Polks. But what is the total cost of the Polk system? There might be better options in the same price range.

Are you planning on getting a sub as well? If you do, then it'd be easier to go for bookshelves instead of towers to save a nice chunk of change.
He stated $650 ... and I think possibly $580 if he swaps the S30 in for the S35. It's a decent deal.

If he wanted to go the bookshelf + sub route instead, figure minus $170 (if choosing the cheapest possible sub) for the JBL 550, so $410 left for his front three. Not sure what would be a better option for him at $410... the polk towers + center probably beats a lot of common recommendations here at that price.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-27-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 2752
Quote:
Hi guys,

The Polks are by far the safer bet IMHO.

Unllike the Klipsch RP speaker line the R line has many detractors who find their treble emphasis to be too much at times.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page